Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:33   #14821
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hey, any reason for selling the D3100 other than its old? Is it working well? If Yes, then I would suggest giving it a good cleanup maybe at a professional camera place and spending the 49-50 k you wanted to spend on a new camera on the lenses.

What kind of photography are you into? I think everyone in their arsenal should have the 50 mm 1.8, its a superb fast lens and you can get magazine type shots with it over time when you keep honing your photography skills

Secondly according to the type of photography that works for you you can invest in a wide angle, telephoto etc.
I think it is in good shape. I haven't used it in a long time (>4 years). Can you suggest any good professional camera place i can get it serviced at?

Some problems i have with 3100 are as below:

1. No video support. I do shoot videos and i need to shift to either my phone or my P&S camera for video so carrying 2 is a headache.
2. No wifi on 3100. Sharing and Syncing are a real pain on it.

I am mostly into wildlife photography. I do birding but not as often. Yes, i do plan to add 50mm 1.8. I also have couple of telephone lens i want to add but would rent few before i zero in on the most optimal one.

Edit: I just got the camera out of storage and it turns out its D3000

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th April 2019 at 12:44. Reason: line spacing
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:23   #14822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Folks, i am back after a long hibernation. I was into photography almost 5-6 years back but kinds fell off the radar due to many different factors. Now i have rekindled my inner photography spirit. I got my old D3100 out of the attic but not very happy with the photos from it with the 18-55mm kit lens. Planning to get a better beginner's camera. I have shortlist the following from Amazon. Its D5600 with 18-55mm lens and 70-300mm lens for about 49K. Plus i will get additional 1500 off for HDFC and 1000 as Amazon money.

I want to check if buying from Amazon is safe or should i check out any brick & mortar store in BLR? I also need to sell my old D3100 too.
https://www.amazon.in/Nikon-D5600-18-55-70-300-Memory/dp/B01N58T6KA/ref=sr_1_5?m=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&s=electronics&ie=UTF8& qid=1541130344&sr=1-5&keywords=B00JM4VE0A%7CB01LY8TW3M%7CB01N58T6KA%7C B01N6H41JP%7CB01KITZRBE&refinements=p_6%3AA14CZOWI 0VEHLG

What would be a good asking price for the D3100? It is pretty old, at least 7-8 years old.
Unless you need the swivel screen and wireless connectivity, the D3300 is as good as D5600. In fact the D3300 was the last model that went for full power flash, D3400 onward the flash power is reduced to increase battery life. So if you use the onboard flash a lot the D3300 is a better buy.

The latest 18-55 lens is much better optically than the older versions. So it is better to sell off the D3100 with its lens as a package. I doubt you will get more than 5K for it.

I have bought all my Digital camera and accessories online and have faced no problems.

Lastly, buying from Amazon is usually risk free as
. The invoice is from an authorised Nikon Retailer. And Nikon accepts the serial numbers for registration.
. You can return the piece if you are not happy with it.
. The price with bag and SD card is very competitive.

I suggest that you download the Nikon Capture NX-D and start shooting and processing RAW images.
Old 5th November 2018, 00:08   #14823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I agree completely. For most of the beginners it is difficult to exceed the limitations of the basic body.
========
If you stick around for a year, you will get an idea of what you want either in the body or lenses, and then start upgrading the kit.
I agree, totally. I got my Canon 550 from UK in like 2010-2011, it came with the 18-55, very soon I realized that I have out grown it and got the 50mm 1.8 and then the 55-250 and then finally the 10-20 Sigma, I am running on my second 50mm 1.8 now, the STM one, the first one got fungus and slowly the sharpness went down and slowly the results became quite bad, still the 550D stays on, what I click, it works fantastically well for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Thank you. Your photos are fantastic.
Thank you

Quote:
...Some problems i have with 3100 are as below:

1. No video support. I do shoot videos and i need to shift to either my phone or my P&S camera for video so carrying 2 is a headache.
2. No wifi on 3100. Sharing and Syncing are a real pain on it.
Ah, I have never tried video shooting with my DSLR, the autofocus is quite slow in that mode, so I just don't attempt it.

I agree about the wifi bit, its a pain for me too when I click something and I need to run to the laptop to see it or edit it.

There are quite some places at Fort in Mumbai, I had given my camera to K Prabhakar when it had just stopped, some circuit problem, but they are quite unresponsive, would not recommend.

You can try JJ mehta or just visit a local guy at Fort, stand there and make him clean it in front of you, won't be a long job at all.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th April 2019 at 12:46. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 5th November 2018, 19:25   #14824
BANNED

Quote:

I want to check if buying from Amazon is safe or ...

Definitely yes. Look for listings with "fulfilled by Amazon" or still better, "Prime" logo. I got this same model camera some months back.

For those looking to use the mobile as a remote or sync, low end mobiles may may not work well with some app versions.

PS:- How do you guys carry your gear during air travel? Cabin? Any security restrictions or precautions? I intend to take the camera in hand and the tripod in unaccompanied baggage.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 5th November 2018 at 19:38.
Old 5th November 2018, 20:00   #14825
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am planning to upgrade my 7-year-old Nikon D3100.

Please suggest a pro level DSLR which I can use at least as long as I have used my D3100. Budget not more than 1 Lakh.

PS - It is not an immediate purchase, I will not mind waiting if a new/better model is coming out in the coming year.
Old 5th November 2018, 20:33   #14826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
PS:- How do you guys carry your gear during air travel? Cabin? Any security restrictions or precautions? I intend to take the camera in hand and the tripod in unaccompanied baggage.
I've always carried the camera + lenses in a bag as carry-on. No issues faced with security. Furthermore, I keep the bag under the seat in front of me so nothing gets crushed in overhead compartments.

Didn't have the heart to subject my tripod to the callous handling of the airline handlers. If you can put it in a check-in baggage with good padding around, it should be alright. Otherwise, you risk breaking something!

OT: I always carry the tripod when driving to places. On recent road trip to Hampi though it proved useless since they had restrictions on taking the tripod inside many of the structures. Would have been such a delight otherwise.
Old 5th November 2018, 22:16   #14827
Distinguished - BHPian

I always carry camera and lenses and small tripod as hand luggage. Never a problem. Some security type want to check the lenses and the body
Old 5th November 2018, 23:43   #14828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Unless you need the swivel screen and wireless connectivity, the D3300 is as good as D5600.
The latest 18-55 lens is much better optically than the older versions.

I have bought all my Digital camera and accessories online and have faced no problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I agree, totally. I got my Canon 550 from UK in like 2010-2011, it came with the 18-55, very soon I realized that I have out grown it and got the 50mm 1.8 and then the 55-250 and then finally the 10-20 Sigma, I am running on my second 50mm 1.8 now, the STM one, the first one got fungus and slowly the sharpness went down and slowly the results became quite bad, still the 550D stays on, what I click, it works fantastically well for that.

You can try JJ mehta or just visit a local guy at Fort, stand there and make him clean it in front of you, won't be a long job at all.
Quote:
Definitely yes. Look for listings with "fulfilled by Amazon" or still better, "Prime" logo. I got this same model camera some months back.

Thanks guys for the advice. I took the plunge and bought it. It was delivered yesterday. I also bought Nikon 50mm 1.8 portrait lens and what a purchase it turned out to be. I have already taken more than 200 pictures.

Coming from D3000, D5600 seems like an upgrade in every possible way. In automotive parlance, it feels like moving to a Luxury brand from humble Maruti. D5600 is so compact and easy to use. Its about 60% the size of D3000. The portrait lens is just awesome. Even the kit lens of 18-55mm is about 30% smaller than the one on D3000. How fast these things evolve!

I have decided to keep D3000 also for emergency and lending to family etc. There is a bit of sentimental value to it as it was a gift from my dad. Will get it serviced thoroughly once.

Haven't started to shoot in RAW yet. Will try it soon.

Edit: If only i had bought it a week earlier. I was at Kabini over the last weekend. We spotted a Tigress with her 3 cubs and a leopard perched up on a branch. The 70-300mm lens would have been ideal there. Tigrees was about 6 ft from the jeep. Portrait lens would have captured some very nice pictures.But i had my OP3T and its crappy camera in near twilight setting. As expected, photos came out horrible. My wife's iphone 8 plus did a more respectable job. I guess its time to plan another trip to the wilderness!

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 5th November 2018 at 23:49.
Old 6th November 2018, 19:06   #14829
BHPian

Dear bhpians
I have decided to upgrade my camera body. I presently own a Canon 1300D and Tamron 150-600 lens canon mount.

My domain is wildlife and bird photography. Please suggest a suitable model. My budget for the body is 1.2 lakhs.
Old 7th November 2018, 17:55   #14830
BHPian

Quote:
Dear bhpians
My domain is wildlife and bird photography. Please suggest a suitable model. My budget for the body is 1.2 lakhs.
I'm not an expert, but having used my 200D for dabbling in bird stuff I have realised a crop sensor and slow EFS lenses are just not up to it, especially for birds in flight.

Maybe checkout the 6D? https://www.digitalrev.com/article/c...the-difference
Old 7th November 2018, 20:01   #14831
BHPian

Quote:

Since you mentioned Wildlife and Bird, Its better to stick to a professional crop sensor. A 6D would be a full frame sensor and canon 7D MKII should do the needful providing you the extra reach required for birds. (not sure about the budget part whether it fits)
Old 18th November 2018, 09:31   #14832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear bhpians
I have decided to upgrade my camera body. I presently own a Canon 1300D and Tamron 150-600 lens canon mount.

Wait for 7D Mk3. Once it is launched you can go for it by stretching a little. Or go for a 7D Mk2 whose price will drop once the Mk3 version is launched.

Quote:

For those looking to use the mobile as a remote or sync, low end mobiles may may not work well with some app versions.

Bodies and lenses - cabin baggage, always. The tripod fits into one of my large bags that is checked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Since you mentioned Wildlife and Bird, Its better to stick to a professional crop sensor. A 6D would be a full frame sensor and canon 7D MKII should do the needful providing you the extra reach required for birds. (not sure about the budget part whether it fits)
There are many variables. MP (cropability), AF, buffer, existing lens reach (if one has long lenses, then a full frame would be better), whether one shoots big mammals or small birds, whether one likes shooting during early morn or late afternoon (low light) etc.

Such advice is rather simplistic when we are talking about a specific genre, sorry.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th November 2018 at 16:58. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 27th November 2018, 16:51   #14833
BHPian

Recently upgraded to Pentax KP from old Pentax K5 which served me well for 7yrs. I use it predominantly for wildlife and Birding. Plan was to upgrade to Nikon or Sony but with limited budget decided to keep my Pentax gear. The Pentax AF still lags behind the competition. Added cropability from 24mp Sony sensor is a welcome bonus. Couple of quick shots from nearby garden.

The DSLR Thread-imgp0194.jpg

The DSLR Thread-imgp0198.jpg

The DSLR Thread-imgp0527.jpg
Old 30th November 2018, 10:26   #14834
BANNED

Friends,

Some days, back, found that the 15-55mm AFS-S DX kit lens (which came with D5600) was not focussing. So took it to the Nikon service centre. I'm told something broke, and hence no warranty is available for breakage. I'm fine with this - something may have happened while handling. The estimate quote is 3300k. What I want to know is, will the lens be factory-perfect after repair? The new lens cost is 9-10k.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th April 2019 at 12:46. Reason: line spacing
Old 30th November 2018, 11:46   #14835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Some days, back, found that the 15-55mm AFS-S DX kit lens (which came with D5600) was not focussing. So took it to the Nikon service centre. I'm told something broke, and hence no warranty is available for breakage. I'm fine with this - something may have happened while handling. The estimate quote is 3300k. What I want to know is, will the lens be factory-perfect after repair? The new lens cost is 9-10k.
The question is, do you really need the 18-55mm? (You mean 18-55 right?)Why not use this opportunity to buy a 50 mm 1.8 if you haven't already got one.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th April 2019 at 12:46. Reason: trimmed quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks