Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2018, 20:16   #14701
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
+1 to that.
And what if one is shooting (animal)scapes AND wildlife?

The DSLR Thread-morning.jpg

The DSLR Thread-_dsc1049_00001b.jpg

Shot on the same day. Different weather conditions.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 23:07   #14702
BHPian

I used to own a Nikon D3200 which I bought in July'13 and used it until last year. By that time it was fairly used at multiple trips starting with GHNP trek, Triund trek, Ooty, Pykara, Pondicherry,Malaysia, multiple family gatherings and so on. After using it for so long, I lost interest in using it anymore and sold it at a good price last year.
Since then I'm in two minds what should I buy as a next upgrade. Itch for owning a full frame is every amateur enthusiasts dream but that would be too much a stretch for my budget.
Sometimes I thought of getting a canon g7x which would be light on pocket and size too. And sometimes I thought of getting a Drone to explore entirely new territory and larger than life views.
Too much confusion creeps in as technology evolves, sometimes it's better to have less options.
Anyway I have planned for a trip to maldives in September end and I need to sort this dilemma before that.
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Old 20th March 2018, 15:03   #14703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
And what if one is shooting (animal)scapes AND wildlife?
Well, in that case, either of the cameras are perfectly capable of capturing both the scenes

Quote:
Love this shot of Matkasur. A huge male tiger on the newly paved tar road with the (private) bolero in the background - anyone who is not familiar with Tadoba will easily assume this image was clicked on same state/national highway!

Last edited by vikash49 : 20th March 2018 at 15:07.
Old 20th March 2018, 16:47   #14704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, in that case, either of the cameras are perfectly capable of capturing both the scenes

Love this shot of Matkasur. A huge male tiger on the newly paved tar road with the (private) bolero in the background - anyone who is not familiar with Tadoba will easily assume this image was clicked on same state/national highway!
That vehicle was carrying researchers from WII. Pity about it, I got the right angle and light after some effort. C'est la vie.
Old 20th March 2018, 16:58   #14705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
And sometimes I thought of getting a Drone to explore entirely new territory and larger than life views.
From what I have heard, use of drones is not in the free-range. There are regulatory restrictions. You would be better off with a regular camera - and I suggest to first pick your lens and then the body. Consider / evalute which lens you would be happy with - range, PQ etc, and then go for the body. ( Look at lenses of all brands)

Last edited by condor : 20th March 2018 at 17:00.
Old 20th March 2018, 17:05   #14706
BHPian

Quote:
Pity about it, I got the right angle and light after some effort. C'est la vie.
Indeed, both the angle (eye level) and light are great, but without that bolero, it would still have been 'just' a technically nice image. But with the crisp tar road, the bolero in the background and that forest highway feel the image now tells a whole new story! It's a lovely image!

Please enter this into conservation themed competitions and you might also want to put this up on some good stock photo sites with tags like #conservation, #symbiosis, #livingwithtigers, livingtogether, #tigerhighways, etc
Old 20th March 2018, 17:05   #14707
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a question about the longevity of DSLR cameras and lenses. Up until 4 years ago, I was a keen amateur photographer. Till I picked up a sport/hobby that pretty much takes up all my spare time these days. I haven't really used my cameras and lenses much over the past 2 years and was wondering if there was a possibility of them malfunctioning because of lack of use. They are stored properly, dry, safe, with silica gel. Batteries removed and stored separately. I don't anticipate removing and using them more than a couple of times a year for a couple of days at a time. Will they last (of course the batteries may not)?

I would like to keep all of the gear if it will last, if not, and there is a real chance that they will get damaged somehow due to lack of use, I'd rather sell them.[List: Canon 450 and 550d, 50mm 1.8, 10-22, 400 5.6, 18-200 3.5-5.6.]

Last edited by am1m : 20th March 2018 at 17:10.
Old 21st March 2018, 14:04   #14708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I would like to keep all of the gear if it will last, if not, and there is a real chance that they will get damaged somehow due to lack of use, I'd rather sell them.[List: Canon 450 and 550d, 50mm 1.8, 10-22, 400 5.6, 18-200 3.5-5.6.]
I don't think anything will happen if stored safe and dry though watch out for fungus on the lens. Best is to air them occasionally. However, for safety's sake, remove the batteries.

I have four cameras and a few lenses from the 1960s and they are running perfectly with me so far. No silica gel, no dry cabinet, in fact one eats dust on my office workstation. They all work though their shutters tend to get stuck occasionally. They just need a service at Chandni Chowk.

Last edited by architect : 21st March 2018 at 14:05.
Old 21st March 2018, 16:10   #14709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed, both the angle (eye level) and light are great, but without that bolero, it would still have been 'just' a technically nice image. But with the crisp tar road, the bolero in the background and that forest highway feel the image now tells a whole new story! It's a lovely image!

Please enter this into conservation themed competitions and you might also want to put this up on some good stock photo sites with tags like #conservation, #symbiosis, #livingwithtigers, livingtogether, #tigerhighways, etc
No. I would have preferred the same setting without any vehicle in the background. The tar road, the light and shadow, and the shadowy trees behind (especially the pattern) would have delivered what I was looking for.

I prefer shots that convey a certain mood or a feel. Even if the subject is ordinary.

Cheetal
The DSLR Thread-deeringrassland.jpg

Lone tree
The DSLR Thread-lonetree.jpg

Gaur calf, evening
The DSLR Thread-gaurcalf.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:33   #14710
BHPian

Quote:
I would have preferred the same setting without any vehicle in the background. The tar road, the light and shadow, and the shadowy trees behind (especially the pattern) would have delivered what I was looking for.
Well, that's the beauty of art... one can have multiple visions and prespectives for the same scene! But, in the end, the vision that really maters is that of the astist himself..what he's out to create and what he wants to show!
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:47   #14711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, that's the beauty of art... one can have multiple visions and prespectives for the same scene! But, in the end, the vision that really maters is that of the astist himself..what he's out to create and what he wants to show!
True. Eye of the beholder and all that. But in the end, the photographer has veto power in UNSC council :-)

Edit: need to catch up on many travelogues. My Toyota 4x4 has been behaving, so have been less active on Team BHP - for a while.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 22nd March 2018 at 15:49.
Old 4th April 2018, 10:51   #14712
BHPian

Hi guys,

I’m in Bangalore this weekend and was planning to visit Wayanad. Problem is, I don’t have a proper DSLR here. I was wondering if any t-bhpian would be kind enough to lend me his/her DSLR for a couple of days if he/she is not using it.

Thanks and regards,
Syed

PS: I can pick it up from Whitefield/Jayanagar/BTM/Bellandur/Marathalli
Old 4th April 2018, 11:39   #14713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Hi guys,

I'm in Bangalore this weekend and was planning to visit Wayanad. Problem is, I don't have a proper DSLR here. I was wondering if any t-bhpian would be kind enough to lend me his/her DSLR for a couple of days if he/she is not using it.

Thanks and regards,
Syed

PS: I can pick it up from Whitefield/Jayanagar/BTM/Bellandur/Marathalli
Not sure if many would part with their DSLRs instead why don't you rent one for your use. Its fairly cheap and you can even get a high end one to try.
Old 5th April 2018, 17:57   #14714
Distinguished - BHPian

Sigma lenses - AF issues with Nikon's latest Firmware

Via Nikonians forum:

Quote:
Sigma Lenses not autofocusing on Nikon cameras:

Some Sigma lenses, such as the 50mm/1.4 DG HSM and 50-500/4.5-6.3 DG APO HSM do not AF on latest firmware V1.13 on several Nikon's including the D4s, D610, D800 and D810.

Sigma lenses on Nikon D500 seem to work all fine.

Some other Sigma lenses, such as the 50mm/1.4 Art, 120-300mm/2.8 DG HSM and 150/2.8 EX DG APO HSM do not seem to be affected.

The solution is to update the lens firmware by sending it in to Sigma
Old 11th April 2018, 13:23   #14715
BANNED

Ordered my first DSLR

Hi.

"How good is one plus camera?" asked the BeeWee. At end of a day's research I zoom in (Pun intended) on Sony's HX400V superzoom. Gloating over the quick decision, I decide to buy it, & just before hitting the "pay' button, take a look at the sensor size. I realise 1/2.3 (or whatever) means I'm in P&S territory, and not much above a mobile cam. In fact, would end up with a mobile minus sim. On Day 2 of research, I realise that the mirrorless "EVIL" cameras are actually overpriced, & the promise of lens interchangeability is only an expensive illusion (maybe, l am wrong). But lack of affordable (for me) lens range made things very much against mirrorless.

At the end of 4 days research, the choices are Canon's 1300, 1500 & 220D. And Nikon's 3300 & 3400. In a desperation, I turn to this thread. :-)

And the first post I lay my eyes on says the member's 3400 was sold. Finally, I decide on the D5600. However, Body only options on Amazon are more expensive than body with kit. So I order the D5600 with 18-55 mm kit lens. With 6 other items - 128GB Uhs-1 Sdxc card, UV and polarising filters, an underwater pouch/bag (the first trip will be to a beach), a screen guard (not sure of its utility) & a tripod. And then, still not satisfied, I also ordered the AF-S DX 35 mm f/1.8G lens with separate filters from Kenko & Hoya. Now waiting for delivery.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2018 at 08:27. Reason: Typos
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed