Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2018, 13:12   #14671
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Please suggest which would be a better all rounded camera - Nikon D750 or Nikon D500.

I know they both cater to different population and have different sensor, and are not much different with regards to price.
Old 17th February 2018, 14:35   #14672
BANNED

@snaseer; I find my compact frame D5500 excellent. My basic optics is the 18-140mm zoom.
Old 17th February 2018, 17:42   #14673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaseer View Post
Please suggest which would be a better all rounded camera - Nikon D750 or Nikon D500.

I know they both cater to different population and have different sensor, and are not much different with regards to price.
It depends on what you want to shoot.

But short answer, D750 is the better all-rounder.

Edit: I have shot a lot with both.
Old 17th February 2018, 20:15   #14674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@snaseer; I find my compact frame D5500 excellent. My basic optics is the 18-140mm zoom.
Just considering DX format. D500 is two classes above D5x00 series. Would we compare cars two classes apart?
Old 17th February 2018, 22:59   #14675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is a series of instructional videos about bird photography on Canon's site.
Could you please share the link here. Would be highly beneficial
Old 17th February 2018, 23:09   #14676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Could you please share the link here. Would be highly beneficial
History searched! Apologies for not having done that before. A series of seven short videos. Very Canon-centric, as one might expect, but good stuff for the novices (and the, ahem points to self, armchair bird photographers ) among us...

Bird Photography with Arthur Morris

Old 18th February 2018, 00:21   #14677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
History searched! Apologies for not having done that before. A series of seven short videos. Very Canon-centric, as one might expect, but good stuff for the novices (and the, ahem points to self, armchair bird photographers ) among us...

Bird Photography with Arthur Morris

Sigh. Bosque del Apache. On my to visit list. A Canon photographer (English guy) I really admire has taken some amazing photos there.
Old 18th February 2018, 15:29   #14678
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Just considering DX format. D500 is two classes above D5x00 series. Would we compare cars two classes apart?
I look at it differently. A compact format is more than adequate for relatively large (say A3) output.
Old 22nd February 2018, 18:10   #14679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I look at it differently. A compact format is more than adequate for relatively large (say A3) output.
OK. If you say so.

Lets discount:

1. Shallow depth of field + absolute image quality (D750/full frame)
2. AF and buffer and metering (D500/top of the line crop sensor).

And I am not even getting into crop sensor vs full frame lens or field of view or depth of field or 'reach' discussions here.

Seems there is no point in having discussions beyond the newbie/intermediate stage :-)

Last edited by nilanjanray : 22nd February 2018 at 18:12.
Old 23rd February 2018, 17:47   #14680
BHPian

Quote:
It is really like comparing a Brio with a City. Both seat 5 people and take you from point A to Point B. But comparing them is not really fair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
OK. If you say so.

Lets discount:

1. Shallow depth of field + absolute image quality (D750/full frame)
2. AF and buffer and metering (D500/top of the line crop sensor).

And I am not even getting into crop sensor vs full frame lens or field of view or depth of field or 'reach' discussions here.

Seems there is no point in having discussions beyond the newbie/intermediate stage :-)
Do keep the discussions going as they help in advancing the newbies.
I, for one, enjoy your photographs immensely.
And I think the good Professor was referring to the compact form factor, not the sensor size.

Last edited by Cool_leo_guy : 23rd February 2018 at 17:49.
Old 25th February 2018, 05:10   #14681
BHPian

Hello DSLR-BHPians,

Been following this thread since page 900. Long time. I need some help and guidance in deciding the right lens to add please.

I have a Nikon D5600 with kit 18-55 lens. I am still a novice when it comes to DSLR photography but do understand the nuances involved in getting a decent acceptable picture. I have an upcoming trip to Seychelles with family. Considering the location, I want to click the extensive landscapes with open skies, white sands and blue waters. Understandably will also click family holiday moments with the above mentioned backgrounds. I want to add to my gear for this purpose. What lens would you suggest would best accomplish the pictures I intend to take during this trip?

Any pointers will be helpful. Happy Shooting!

Last edited by Darth_Vader : 25th February 2018 at 05:38. Reason: change of word
Old 25th February 2018, 08:14   #14682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Vader View Post
I have a Nikon D5600 with kit 18-55 lens. ... I have an upcoming trip to Seychelles with family. Considering the location, I want to click the extensive landscapes with open skies, white sands and blue waters.!
The classic question ! Like many others, I have been thru this, and still go through this when the situation comes up.

One option I can suggest is the Nikkor 16-80, which gives you sufficiently wide zoom and a decent tele end for general purpose shooting like travel. Just that the lens is a bit expensive. Later, either a 70-200 or 70-300 can be clubbed with this for tele reach.

On paper, this can be a good combination, but again as you travel and shoot more, you may find your right combination to be something else.

Lenses like 18-140 can be seen as good one-lens set up for travel, but I have often found that the extra 2 mm at the wide end can be very useful.
Old 25th February 2018, 08:46   #14683
BHPian

Quote:
I have an upcoming trip to Seychelles with family. Considering the location, I want to click the extensive landscapes with open skies, white sands and blue waters.
I suggest you carry a wide angle for the trip. I can recommend the Tokina 11-16 mm DXII. The f/2.8 allows you to shoot even in very low light and it is designed for crop body cameras. You don't have to buy it, you can rent it for the duration of the trip. Far cheaper that way and if you like the lens, you can always put down the money for a new one. Believe me, you will not regret carrying a wide lens for the trip.
Old 25th February 2018, 13:57   #14684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello DSLR-BHPians,

Been following this thread since page 900. Long time. I need some help and guidance in deciding the right lens to add please.

I have a Nikon D5600 with kit 18-55 lens. I am still a novice when it comes to DSLR photography but do understand the nuances involved in getting a decent acceptable picture. I have an upcoming trip to Seychelles with family. Considering the location, I want to click the extensive landscapes with open skies, white sands and blue waters. Understandably will also click family holiday moments with the above mentioned backgrounds. I want to add to my gear for this purpose. What lens would you suggest would best accomplish the pictures I intend to take during this trip?

As landscapes are shot at F/8 or beyond there is no need for expensive fast lenses. The kit 18-55 is quite a decent lens, and stopped down to F/8 it has excellent sharpness, good enough for landscapes. In case you want a wider feld of view, just shoot overlapping horizontal shots (3 to 10) and stitch them seamlessly in Microsoft ICE (download for free).

For Telephoto, the 70-300 VR is the most optimum lens at its price point. You might want to invest in the 35mm F1.8DX. It is an excellent lens for low light, portraits and indoor shots.

One thing to note is that you shoot RAW. That gives you extended Dynamic range that you can use to tone down highlights and recover shadows. In case you have not shot RAW, start now. For processing download Nikon Capture NX-D. It is free and does an excellent job of processing RAW Nikon Files.
Old 25th February 2018, 14:44   #14685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello DSLR-BHPians,

Since you are carrying one body, I would assume that it would be distracting and a pain to keep changing lenses.

Sell off the 18-55, and buy a 18-140. Or rent it. That will cater to landscapes and familyscapes and also portraits using the longer focal lengths.

There are other all in one lenses e.g 18-300mm Tamron, 28-300 Nikon etc. but not worth the investment IMO.

If you are willing to change lenses, or rent one more body, then it becomes a different discussion.

There is a tradeoff b/w image quality and convenience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks