Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2017, 04:09   #14611
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

I hate the gimmick filters and effects.

Sure, it is a person's right to make their image how they want it, but it is ours to like it or not. Maybe it is also our right to say it's it art or not?

I worked in greeting-card industry for 16 years. Mostly painting rather than photography, but I've seen a lot of people bringing their rubbish to try to sell it to us. Yes, there's a commercial aspect to what makes a birthday card, and that is not only an artistic decision. I'm trying to say... There is bad art, there is non-art. We cannot just accept any old thing. Especially when it has been as easy to create as selecting a single menu item, or a "scene" on the camera.

I've wondered why the camera makers bother with that stuff. Presets to make stuff easy for beginners is one thing. Blowing up all the colours etc is another. And if people want it... There's the computer.

And how long is it since someone looked at a monochrome pic with just one colour and thought, "wow! Clever idea." oh, my a6000 has that. Gee, thanks, Sony!

Actually, it also has scenes settings where different aspects can be individually adjusted. I can imagine some people using that to subtle advantage... And it would be a skill to learn in itself, on top of the compositional and technical aspects of photography.

But hey, we don't have to go there.

I may not be able to make great images, but yes, I had an editorial role once. I have a half-decent eye. Perhaps people should spend more time looking at rubbish and learning that it is. But the cell phone and Instagram filters are not going to help.

Hats off to all of you that have the eye, the knack, the skill, the art and the love of making good pictures!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 15th November 2017 at 04:11.
Old 15th November 2017, 07:26   #14612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Was the camera being too true? Are over-saturated images the photographs of today and tomorrow? Have any of you felt bored of photography or felt overwhelmed by too many images as I have? Have any of you been in this peculiar situation I am in?
Yes if you see sites like 500PX have extremely over saturated and surreal images for landscapes. Or those dreamy planned photos or HDRs of monuments, colourful light trails etc have become regular fare. See those images still have not made me one of them. I do some times try surreal experiments in Lightroom. But those are not the mainstays. The pattern when processing is always to process the bulk with minimal changes as it usually does not require any change (The odd contrast, saturation, highlights etc). Its only when you have nothing to process much with no new material from a shoot, then you start playing with the leftovers!

But I still refuse to believe that one's own passion for photography can die. Diminish? May be? Die ? I doubt.

Another way to keep it alive is to associate it to a memory. A drive or a holiday etc with family and friends for example. Many a times I get to hear : Oh oh! You and your camera.

But it still helps add to the memory nicely! My learning curve may have slowed due to paucity of time, but spark for photography still holds. (Or at least I try to keep it alive)

Last edited by ampere : 15th November 2017 at 09:46.
Old 15th November 2017, 09:38   #14613
Senior - BHPian

Re: 500px

I sort of disagree with some of the posts. Many photos in 500px (and a few other sites) are fantastic, and inspirational. Not all are overly saturated or artificial looking.

There are too many talented photographers in the world :-)
Old 15th November 2017, 09:49   #14614
Team-BHP Support

Re: 500px

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I sort of disagree with some of the posts. Many photos in 500px (and a few other sites) are fantastic, and inspirational. Not all are overly saturated or artificial looking.
No disregards from my side for folks posting on those sites. It also signifies the amount of effort and pain they have taken to go to such difficult locations at strange hours to get the best shots.

My reference is only more compared to the point when some images start looking surreal. But yes, its an art form and every one has a right to show it the way he/she wants.
Old 15th November 2017, 10:14   #14615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Was the camera being too true? Are over-saturated images the photographs of today and tomorrow? Have any of you felt bored of photography or felt overwhelmed by too many images as I have? Have any of you been in this peculiar situation I am in?
In all honesty I hardly ever visit sites such as 500, Flickr. There is just too much to start with. So I stick to following a few photographers whose work I enjoy, the odd Facebook group, again for specific topics/photography I enjoy. Next, I try to meet face to face with people to discuss their/mine work. Here in Europe I’m lucky as there are good informative workshop by some very good photographers organised just about every weekend. Join a photography club.

Getting feedback or even having a discussion about an image on many internet sites can be frustrating I find. It’s strangers exchanging opinions/preferences on what is a highly subjective matter. As so often, I think it’s best not to go for quantity but for quality. Don’t look and discuss everything with everybody. Cut it down to just a few (small) sites where you find like minded people.

It seems to me you are too much looking at the photography of others. At the end of the day you need to enjoy your own photography. Looking at the works of others can be inspirational, but if it’s not, look for something different. Why would you want to mimic what others do, or what others believe to be an interesting style of photography. Try and develop your own style. If you don’t like over-saturation, or HDR, don’t look at it. Find something you do like and enjoy.

Learning how to improve my own photography and develop an own style is what I enjoy. Still a very long way to go. Post processing for most of my work is an integral part of my photography. But as I said before, I don’t think it can’t make up for time spend in the field /with the topic and your camera. (At least not on the sort of photography I enjoy)

Try and get in touch with people whose style you like/admire and discuss your own photography and get feedback from people that matter to you. Individuals that are knowledgeable and have the ability to provide constructive feedback. (Being a very good Photographer doesn’t necessarily mean you are also good at teaching others or providing feed back)

Find people who’s work you rate as better than yourself. Join a good photography club. Looking at stuff you don’t enjoy isn’t going to be constructive for very long. Doesn’t work for any hobby/interest.

Enjoy!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 15th November 2017 at 10:24.
Old 18th November 2017, 15:48   #14616
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh yeah! Extension tube fun!

Cheap, from China (AliExpress), and with electronic contacts, so camera intelligence still works (then I read some stuff about pins on such rings being rough and click-clicking into place in a worrying manner: mine seem smooth in action and to the touch, fingers crossed)

Found out that with zoom lens and extension tubes, it is not so much focus as zoom and move. Then read an internet article suggesting the same thing

The lens is the Sony a6000 number-two kit lens, the 55-210 (aps-c, add 50% for 35mm equiv). The tubes, 10+16=26mm. Just hand-held experiment around the room. Did some stuff like a screw with just two threads magnified and in focus, and the inside of an orchid. Very promising, but needs a lot more work on focus point. Needs, in fact, a tripod. Not because of motion, but to concentrate on those aspects from a fixable stable point.

Extreme 2-threads -depth-field on a 10mm bolt, with dust and metal imperfections is... interesting, but leaving aside actual macro shots. I liked this snapshot of an ornament. I didn't try, but I don't think I could get the same thing with just the zoom lens. The composition, probably, but not with the reduced depth of field. Not with this lens.

Quote:
The DSLR Thread-macro1.jpg
Maybe I'll post a flower or object extension-tube shot if and when I get one I feel is worth looking at.

Comments are welcome. Mine would be that probably the focus should have been on the nearer eye.

Macro lens... Yes, sure, but it is not on my current affordable list! Probably with just one tube, I could get some garden flower or even insect (you know, the stuff that just happens if you press the macro button on a cheap compact!) pics. Going beyond snapshots, though, this cheap new toy seems to offer a lot of interesting possibility. I'd say that it is something even a beginner should play with!

(ha-hah... I remember wanting bellows, a decade or four ago. Never got them, though)
Old 18th November 2017, 21:18   #14617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I don’t agree at all. Nothing can make up for good photography afterwards on the computer. Capturing sharpness/focus, depth of field, composition, lightningetc starts in the camera.
Totally agree and wish everybody understands this and start photography journey with this thought.
Quote:
What sometimes is forgotten what most photographers do on their computer is what photographers used to do in their darkrooms. It’s probably fair to say that an old school analogue photographer would have to spend a lot more time in a darkroom to produce a great print, then a digital photographer would have to spend behind the computer to produce the same result.
Very true but also difficult for somebody to comprehend without any darkroom experience.
Quote:
Terms such as burning, dodging, wash out are carry overs from the old analogue darkroom. They still mean the exact same thing. It’s just different how you deal with it. Software has made PP a lot more convenient and has given us more options. And has brought it within the reach of just about any photographer. There is a lot of free photo editing software out there and even the best most eloborate software packages are very affordable.
Many years ago I was fortunate enough to see some of Ansal Adams prints in one exhibition.
I was stunned to see those incredible tonal range of black and white. It was only because I was spending a good amount of time in darkroom to figure out his magic..
Quote:
For many photographers, digital processing is an integral part of their photography. A camera set to to RAW will just capture a lot of data. You need software to do actually translate it into an image. Just like you needed a lot of darkroom equipment to make an image out of a negative.
And realised this.
Quote:
If you want to make print of your (digital) photographs you better brush up on your photo editing skills too. I have started printing about 18 months ago when I joined the Royal Photographic Society. There is simply no way to produce a high quality print from a digital image without quite a bit of editing on the PC>
PERFECT!
Quote:
Camera and equipment have never had any meaning in the sense that I don’t believe it’s up to the camera and equipment to produce stunning results.
+1 again. Only I believe that it's important to select your choice of equipment based on your actual application.
Quote:
Not all images need PP either.
Agreed again and it has lot to do with planning before the shoot. More often than not, we don't give enough importance here.

Image below was a shot with proper planning (or that's what I like to believe). Idea was to eliminate any possible retouching to zero.
Continues light shot and reading from ColorChecker Passport.

http://www.xrite.com/categories/cali...passport-photo

The DSLR Thread-350-rear-sitting.jpg
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:01   #14618
Senior - BHPian

Interesting discussion.

A few random thoughts:
* A lot depends on one's learning style.
* There is always the next ridge to climb, re improvement.
* Constraints are sometimes moving targets. What is on the critical path re improvement? Is it photography (shooting) skills, is it post processing, is it gear, is it not enough time spent in the field?
* There are too many good photographers in the world.
* For many folks, gear is a matter of prestige. Especially true for wildlife folks. People love strutting around with long lenses and a couple of pro bodies. A different matter that their photos are average, and many don't know nuances of their gear.
* Some folks make amusing statements. Apparently their photos are so good that they never share good photos online, or show them to others. Reminds me of those exotic martial arts gurus with supernatural powers which they never ever display :-)
* Eye of the beholder and all that, re social likes etc. People have different tastes. But feedback needs to be analyzed, based on who is giving that feedback.
* Tastes change over time (or from day to day based on mood). I do more monochromes and atmospheric shots nowadays (shooting/processing/reprocessing) compared to what I used to do a couple of years back. And it is ok if others don't like them as much as say a tiger shot, since I shoot for myself.

Early morning mist
The DSLR Thread-earlymorning.jpg

Winter mist and golden light
The DSLR Thread-wildboars.jpg

Nilgiris, shot in the rain
The DSLR Thread-bullgaur.jpg

First light. Swallows over an island.
The DSLR Thread-daybreak.jpg

Sunrise in Terai
The DSLR Thread-dudhwasunrise.jpg

Cheetal
The DSLR Thread-cheetal.jpg

Pelican
The DSLR Thread-pelican.jpg

The endangered lion-tailed macaque, shot through foliage. Anamalai Tiger Reserve.
The DSLR Thread-ltm.jpg

Walk in the woods. Kanha, dawn.
The DSLR Thread-walkinthewoods.jpg

Langur baby
The DSLR Thread-momandbaby.jpg
Old 28th November 2017, 16:21   #14619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Gentlemen, especially if you happen to live and photograph in/around Channai. Lens restore/repair...

It's a question related to a "vintage" Olympus lens from an OM2 which has been sadly neglected in the back of a cupboard for over a decade. Interestingly, the camera seems to be in working order (and it has a film in it, though I guess that's just throw-away by now) but, much as I loved it way back then, it is the lens that interests me now.

It is just the standard lens of the day, 50mm f/1.8, but I'd love to give it a try on my Sony a6000. Cheap adapters are... cheap. And the setup would be full manual anyway.

Again, stuff seems to work, but there is a small amount of fungus/mould inside the lens.

What should I do first: get the adapter and see if U can make the lens work for me, or try to get the lens cleaned/serviced?

I'm not sure that I can get it to work for me. The OM2 would stop down the lens when taking the photo. I wonder if the adapter pushes that lever. Otherwise there is no way for the camera to know the aperture set or the amount of light reaching the sensor so that it may set the shutter speed. Whilst my dad managed, I have never owned a camera without some sort of metering built in.

OK. The basic question here is about the lens cleaning. From that, matters arising re using a legacy manual lens on a modern camera. All comments received gratefully!
Fun With A Mouldy Old Lens (...and a cheap adapter)

Mould? What mould?

The DSLR Thread-dsc03786small.jpg

Buying a camera, back then, especially an SLR, would have been a major event, but I can't even remember it. Wait... I think I recall the shop, in London, but the date? Well, I know I had it in late 70s. This Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 lens is over thirty years old! It has been unused for most of the past fifteen years at least. There are a very few light mould or mildew spots on the inside of the front and rear elements. It doesn't seems to show.

Using it is not that different to how it was on the OM2: basic metering, line up the needle, that's it. "A" mode on the a6000, set the aperture and let the camera do the shutter speed and ISO. Hey, ok... you guys were doing this stuff on DSLRs before I even thought about it!

General Image Quality -- Probably lacks contrast and colour compared to modern Sony lens. Can get washed out completely by flare if the light is wrong. Otherwise, I find it quite pleasing.

f1.8 --- Note to self, when next time travelling, buy the f1.4! I would not say that this is actually a great low-light lens on this camera. The image quality in low light is nothing great on this camera, but with full sunlight and a bunch of flowers, it's nice! Actually, I think this pic is stopped down, or all the bougainvillea "flowers" would not be in focus.

Would I like the Sony modern equivalent? -- Oh, absolutely. Optical stabilisation, full electronic control, better colours, and I'm sure it would handle the flares better. But it is not the first, or the second, lens on my shopping list.

50mm is actually equivalent to 50*1.5 on the APS-C. I have got a Neeweer 35mm (almost 50mm equiv) lens on the way from China. Should come without mould (I certainly didn't order that option) but still all fully manual.

Impulse Buy...

Sirui T-025X Carbon-fibre travel tripod. Why? Because I found it from a shop (online) in Mumbai almost as cheap as AliExpress! Is that a good reason to buy stuff? My bank account is evidence that it is not.

OK... so it is no lump of granite, but I will pick it up and carry it, or throw it in the suitcase when I'd leave something heavier at home. I'm a wimp. I hate carrying weight.

The small ball head will drive me nuts, though. I've never used a ball head before. Ball head that moves smoothly and stays exactly where it is tightened? Is that a thing? I'm sure it must be. I can't imagine you people saying, "Well, the lens was supposed to be a mm or so higher."

But I think I'm a pan-and-tilt-head man. But then my travel combo will get less compact and heavier. On the list... Vanguard Alto Pro 2, because I like that multiple-angle centre column, and I'm likely to get more into macro.

Last edited by SDP : 29th November 2017 at 18:20. Reason: minor typo
Old 28th November 2017, 16:37   #14620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sirui T-025X Carbon-fibre travel tripod
This is a terrific value for money tripod. I love their cost vs product they produce. I use a 2002 tripod that feels like i am carrying a "tank" or a "railway track bit". Never worried as the bike or car does the duty for me.

Quote:
Probably lacks contrast and colour compared to modern Sony lens. Can get washed out completely by flare if the light is wrong. Otherwise, I find it quite pleasing.
Interestingly i go after lenses that flares. Gives the image a more natural look. There are paid marriages where we go after flares as the output makes a lot of difference and a mild wow factor.

I have to admit that i am a sucker for old lenses, their lack of contrast, sometimes lack of colors but always love the character of thee lenses (images from the lenses).

I am not if this is the right place, but if you are interested to try some lenses by renting with peers check out the kitkarma.com. I am part of this and it is a very closed community of peer to peer gear lending in chennai and banglore. I was able to try out some Leica including the legendary Noctilux for a fraction of cost of the equipment.
Old 28th November 2017, 19:15   #14621
BANNED

I saw an article listing a new mirrorless Canon. Wondering what it is.
Old 28th November 2017, 19:30   #14622
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I saw an article listing a new mirrorless Canon. Wondering what it is.
It a new entry level APS-C mirrorless, basically against the A5100 from Sony. They've made it super easy to use, basically to get people to shift to it from smartphones.
I was interested in it, but the lack of a viewfinder is a deal breaker for me. But the reviews about the M10 are promising, would recommend to those looking for a lightweight camera with good features and Image quality.
Old 28th November 2017, 21:49   #14623
Distinguished - BHPian

What makes a mirrorless camera mirrorless? the absence of a mirror (like all compacts!), or the presence of a shutter? Or is is just an arbitrary word for serious interchangable-lens camera that is not an SLR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This is a terrific value for money tripod. I love their cost vs product they produce.
And Rs.13,599? It was 11-something on Alixpress. Plus the wait and potential customs. Ordered 3.00am Saturday morning, Delivered Monday morning. Thanks, and a plug for FotoCentre.

The only thing I don't like is that the centre column is either up or off. If I had thought longer, I would have bought one that can be lowered/raised.

(the column is two-part, so not extended it is not very high, and is fairly stable. Extended, it is a bit shaky.) I did some tests: needed to use the 2-second timer to get a sharp zoomed-in item across the room. This was pushing it, 205mm, 1/6, f/18. Hands off v hands-on shutter release, 100% cropped detail...

The DSLR Thread-crop1.jpg The DSLR Thread-crop2.jpg

Quote:
Interestingly i go after lenses that flares. Gives the image a more natural look.
Not certain if I used the wrong word. This isn't a flare like a dash of light/colour, it is more like a fog. Here's a bad example. A lens hood might help, but I'll have to buy one.

The DSLR Thread-flare.jpg
(yep, it was a bad pic anyway)

Quote:
I have to admit that i am a sucker for old lenses, their lack of contrast, sometimes lack of colors but always love the character of thee lenses (images from the lenses).
I have to admit... There is a certain something, both in the using and the images!

Quote:
I am not if this is the right place, but if you are interested to try some lenses by renting with peers check out the kitkarma.com. I am part of this and it is a very closed community of peer to peer gear lending in chennai and banglore. I was able to try out some Leica including the legendary Noctilux for a fraction of cost of the equipment.
Thanks, I might take a look at that. Not sure if it the right place for this... but, there used to be one or two shops in Spencer Plaza for grey-market camera equipment. Got my now-deceased (not-very-)superzoom there in 2005 at a low price. I figured, if I'd pay that for used gear, go for it and forget warranties. I would have, and I did.
Old 28th November 2017, 22:45   #14624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What makes a mirrorless camera mirrorless? the absence of a mirror (like all compacts!), or the presence of a shutter? Or is is just an arbitrary word for serious interchangable-lens camera that is not an SLR?
Absence of mirror to be precise. It reads from the sensor and hence you have the electronic view finder. The mirror was basically a way to help you compose and at the time of shot the same composition is relayed to the sensor.

The oldest lens i have is a trioplan which successfully completed 100 years this year .
Old 28th November 2017, 23:53   #14625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In all honesty I hardly ever visit sites such as 500, Flickr. There is just too much to start with.
Join a photography club.
Getting feedback or even having a discussion about an image on many internet sites can be frustrating I find.

Learning how to improve my own photography and develop an own style is what I enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Totally agree and wish everybody understands this and start photography journey with this thought.
Very true but also difficult for somebody to comprehend without any darkroom experience.
Only I believe that it's important to select your choice of equipment based on your actual application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
* A lot depends on one's learning style.
* Constraints are sometimes moving targets. What is on the critical path re improvement? Is it photography (shooting) skills, is it post processing, is it gear, is it not enough time spent in the field?
* There are too many good photographers in the world.
* Some folks make amusing statements. Apparently their photos are so good that they never share good photos online, or show them to others.
An interesting discussion. But everybody has a different reason to take up photography. If you are taking it up as a means of showing off your (gear's) ability, you will move along the gimmicky path, and we may expect a lot of photoshop and filter-added images.

For some, me included, photography is an outlet which is not tamed by a client or some programme of requirements. Many of us who work in so-called creative fields take to these alternatives because this is the only place where we don't have to deliver a creative effort which performs in terms of functionality or costs or clients' requirements and tastes. My wife draws and makes and binds notebooks by hand, I photograph, another friend makes jewellery and another does huge origami installations.

Sometimes, it takes a more serious form and every photographer or artist will discover some tenuous strings if he / she observes his / her work over a period of time. Finally, when your photographs become like you, their expression is like your personality, the fun begins.

An important point is to see oneself as an 'artist' (with a small 'a': one who aspires to make art) and not an 'Artist' (art which is fashionable, trending, expensive, celebrated and, sometimes, bullshit). Let the world call you an 'Artist' but try to only remain an 'artist'. There are too many of the former in this world, sadly. Hunger for appreciation makes us do things that blocks the flow of development at times.

In simple terms, I photograph what I see worth photographing, in the best way possible with the equipment I have at that point of time. No client, no brief, no expectations, no benchmarks. I like to make them technically good, but don't bother too much if I can't.

It is tremendous freedom and my best work comes from there and, often, in film. I do put them up on Instagram or facebook but only because some other like-minded people like to see them. I generally photograph people, known ones.

Adding three images shot over the last 2 years, two with either a 1969 Yashica '66 120 format and one with a 1969 Praktica. Kodak Tri-X film. Just shooting what I liked, how I saw it and how I wanted others to see it, shot where I was and with whatever camera I was carrying.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-7.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-72.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-img_00391.jpg  

Most Viewed