Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2017, 19:03   #14461
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post
Hi Guys,
A noob question! This might have been answered already but could not find the relevant one.
I'm very new to DSLR photography and have Nikon 3300 D with basic lens kit 35/45-105.
Is there a better way to reduce size of the photo without hampering the quality too much. Photos are of 6-7 MB each and I would like to reduce those to be able to upload on the forum. I tried some free tools like 'Photo! Editor' etc but quality of photos has reduced drastically after compression.

Can someone suggest a better method to reduce the size or suggest a better free tool?
Best option is to use Adobe Lightroom for your photo portfolio management and export to required format. I use same to organize RAW photos (30-40 MB in size each) and to export them all automatically to 2 different JPG formats, one with high resolution for regular use and other small size JPG for my photo blog.
Old 8th May 2017, 19:49   #14462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
A noob question! This might have been answered already but could not find the relevant one.
I'm very new to DSLR photography and have Nikon 3300 D with basic lens kit 35/45-105.
Is there a better way to reduce size of the photo without hampering the quality too much. Photos are of 6-7 MB each and I would like to reduce those to be able to upload on the forum. I tried some free tools like 'Photo! Editor' etc but quality of photos has reduced drastically after compression.

Can someone suggest a better method to reduce the size or suggest a better free tool?
If you are shooting JPEG, then there are three sizes available
. Fine
. Normal
. Basic

Unfortunately the smallest one is 6MB.

To get a smaller size you have to resize it in computer. Here is what you do
. Set the size to FINE - 24MB. That will enable full resolution images
. Download the images to Computer
. Open the images in Nikon Software that comes with the camera - View NX
. From FILE Menu, choose CONVERT
. Select JPEG and set the size you want and convert. (say choose 1000 pixel as longest dimension)

At this stage I would suggest that you shoot RAW, The conversion would be same, but if you want to do more than basic editing - Levels, Shadow recovery, noise reduction, lens corrections and white balance, then RAW is the way to go.

From day one I have been shooting RAW and using the free Nikon Capture NX-D program to edit my images and convert them to jpeg. 100 pix for web and full resolution for printing.
Old 8th May 2017, 23:15   #14463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
At this stage I would suggest that you shoot RAW, The conversion would be same, but if you want to do more than basic editing - Levels, Shadow recovery, noise reduction, lens corrections and white balance, then RAW is the way to go.

From day one I have been shooting RAW and using the free Nikon Capture NX-D program to edit my images and convert them to jpeg. 100 pix for web and full resolution for printing.
Good advice re resizing. But why would a beginner start shooting RAW? More important to get basic technical mastery and composition right, and then think of optimization of image quality. Shooting and post processing require different types of learning effort, (I am not talking about shooting with end post processing/final output in mind, that comes later), better to reach a certain level in the former and them focus on the latter.
Old 8th May 2017, 23:30   #14464
BHPian

I noticed the rubber grip on my beloved Nikon D750 has come off (circled area)

The DSLR Thread-nikongrip.png

Any suggestion how I can fix this? Can I use superglue (?) or send it to Nikon or get a replacement part from eBay?

I'm more inclined towards using the superglue unless it has any adverse effect.
Old 9th May 2017, 13:43   #14465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post

Attachment 1637170

Any suggestion how I can fix this? Can I use superglue (?) or send it to Nikon or get a replacement part from eBay?

Similar thing happened with my D3300.

I just bought Rs.10/ rubber solution tube from the nearest auto spare parts dealer and used it. This is the same solution used by upholstery makers to stick fabric and rubber pieces together. Long ago I used same stuff for repairing cycle tube punctures.
Old 9th May 2017, 14:26   #14466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
A noob question! Is there a better way to reduce size of the photo without hampering the quality too much. Photos are of 6-7 MB each and I would like to reduce those to be able to upload on the forum. I tried some free tools like 'Photo! Editor' etc but quality of photos has reduced drastically after compression.Can someone suggest a better method to reduce the size or suggest a better free tool?
The easiest way to do it: Follow the given steps:

1) Open image in paint

2)Click on Resize option

3)Click on Pixels on the resize option

4)In the box given fill in 2000 and the lower box will fill on it's own then click OK and Close image after clicking save option.

One advice make a copy of the image before down sizing the image.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-img_1867.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-img_1868.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-img_1869.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-img_1870.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 9th May 2017 at 14:29.
Old 10th May 2017, 12:33   #14467
BHPian

Quote:

Try http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/ This works on Windows 10 similar to the Image resizer powertoy that XP had. It can reduce a 7MB file to 250kb. Just install the free software and then right click on any image (or a set of images) and click resize Been using this for years it's quick and works great.
Here's a screen shot
The DSLR Thread-resizer.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
But why would a beginner start shooting RAW?
Anyone can shoot RAW or both RAW and JPEG as long as they can afford a bigger memory card and storage. One day when they become a pro they can go back and edit the RAW files to their taste But yeah, I get your point as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post

Gorilla Glue works great is what I'm told. I didn't have to try it myself because I own a "Canon" Too bad the grip gave away that quick on a pro body. Did you leave it on the dashboard or something?
Old 10th May 2017, 13:01   #14468
BHPian

Do we have any expert here in LUA scripting for Adobe lightroom? My lightroom workflow is becoming complex, planning to automate it with help of LUA scripting
Old 24th May 2017, 14:06   #14469
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I am on the lookout for a telephoto lens for my Nikon D7000, currently I have the 18-105 lens.
Which lens should I consider in order, I have kept a budget of around 15-20K INR.
Upon browsing Amazon, I came across Fotga and Big Mikes, both offering 500mm lenses under 20K, I searched but could not find any reviews on the same.
I was also considering Sigma/Tamron but am not too knowledgeable regards to this subject and am learning, so thought of asking here.
In terms of compatibility of lenses for my camera is there something specific which I need to keep in mind or would all lenses manufactured for Nikon fit my camera body as well.
Thanks in advance!

Trojan
Old 24th May 2017, 14:12   #14470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am on the lookout for a telephoto lens for my Nikon D7000, currently I have the 18-105 lens.
Which lens should I consider in order, I have kept a budget of around 15-20K INR.
Upon browsing Amazon, I came across Fotga and Big Mikes, both offering 500mm lenses under 20K, I searched but could not find any reviews on the same.
I was also considering Sigma/Tamron but am not too knowledgeable regards to this subject and am learning, so thought of asking here.
In terms of compatibility of lenses for my camera is there something specific which I need to keep in mind or would all lenses manufactured for Nikon fit my camera body as well.
Thanks in advance!

Trojan

Never ever go for such brands like Fotga, they are waste of money. Brands like tamron / signa / Nikon are good to go with.

Getting new 500mm+ telephoto lens within 20k budget is not possible. New tamron 150-600 will cost around 70-80k. You can also try to search resale lenses, i feel used Tamron 150-600 will cost somewhere between 30-40k depending on age and condition.

I strongly recommend renting lens (from primes and zoom e.g.) for a day and two and make final choice after playing with them.
Old 24th May 2017, 14:40   #14471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Never ever go for such brands like Fotga, they are waste of money. Brands like tamron / signa / Nikon are good to go with.

Getting new 500mm+ telephoto lens within 20k budget is not possible. New tamron 150-600 will cost around 70-80k. You can also try to search resale lenses, i feel used Tamron 150-600 will cost somewhere between 30-40k depending on age and condition.

I strongly recommend renting lens (from primes and zoom e.g.) for a day and two and make final choice after playing with them.
Thank you Techcoze!
I think my post was a bit misleading, I knew that getting a 500mm lens under 20K is not possible, that part was more to do with the Fotga/Big Mike which are being sold at that price range and I wanted to check about them - which you have answered

Ok so coming to what can I really look to buy to up my kit, so keeping a budget of around 20K, what possible lenses should I look for, could you please give me some pointers in buying these. How about the 70-300mm which is available, is that a decent budget lens which can be helpful in wildlife photography.

Thanks!
Trojan

Last edited by Trojan : 24th May 2017 at 14:41.
Old 24th May 2017, 15:27   #14472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Techcoze!
I think my post was a bit misleading, I knew that getting a 500mm lens under 20K is not possible, that part was more to do with the Fotga/Big Mike which are being sold at that price range and I wanted to check about them - which you have answered

Ok so coming to what can I really look to buy to up my kit, so keeping a budget of around 20K, what possible lenses should I look for, could you please give me some pointers in buying these. How about the 70-300mm which is available, is that a decent budget lens which can be helpful in wildlife photography.

Thanks!
Trojan
70-300mm VR is a nice lens. I have used that a lot.

Planning to sell it off because nowadays I usually use the 200-500mm if I shoot wildlife and need zoom flexibility.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-1495619801387.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-1495619833998.jpg  

Old 24th May 2017, 15:56   #14473
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Techcoze!

Thanks!
Trojan
Yes, 70-300 VR is a good lens to start with, I have used it in past and was quite happy with it
Old 24th May 2017, 18:49   #14474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Trojan
As others have said Telephoto at 20K is a waste of Money. Depending on what you shoot a 70-300 or a 200-500 is in the affordable range.

Do not get a non-VR lens as they will result in blurred images till you get your technique spot on. The lower price and older technology is just not worth it.

One lens I have used which can do the job till you want better IQ is

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lens...1:2-af/review/

http://www.amazon.in/Tamron-70-300mm...4-14850d0a28b1

It is good enough till 200mm and a bit soft at 300mm, but will suit a beginer with low funds.
Old 24th May 2017, 19:03   #14475
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks!
Trojan

I have been using Nikon 70-300 since last 4 years and it's a great lens to have. You will need VR for sure as these lenses are much slower at full zoom.

The reach is limited as once you are in the wilderness, 300 mm often feels way less as you might not be that close for a closeup shot, but for starters it works well. You will love the flexibility beyond the 105 that you use.

My suggestion, get a 70-300 for regular use and when you head to the wild, rent a mega zoom like 500 for the time required. Unless you are into purely wildlife photography, you won't need the 500 very often. My two cents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks