Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2016, 13:20   #14326
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

A couple of more shots .. 100% zoom looks fine.

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0486-2.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0492-2.jpg
Old 8th November 2016, 16:49   #14327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will say go for a good rangefinder with a zoom lens. The basic will be say 5MP and a decent zoom, say 5x or more.
Any reason why you mention "Rangefinders" as good for learning photography?

Firstly, there are no true rangefinders in the digital camera world (at least in that segment, since we are not talking of Leica digitals here) and a true rangefinder is a little difficult for a newbie in terms of composing, focusing and parallax issues, what with the frame lines and 'align the lines' focusing.

I would have, instead suggested a camera with only maximum manual controls.

P.S. I own a Fuji X100 and use it almost daily. It is perhaps the closest you can get to a rangefinder in affordable digital (due to its hybrid OVF-EVF combination) and even then it was a pain to focus when I tried to use a true rangefinder of a Leica!
Old 8th November 2016, 18:41   #14328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post

Firstly, there are no true rangefinders in the digital camera world (at least in that segment, since we are not talking of Leica digitals here) and a true rangefinder is a little difficult for a newbie in terms of composing, focusing and parallax issues, what with the frame lines and 'align the lines' focusing.

I would have, instead suggested a camera with only maximum manual controls.

P.S. I own a Fuji X100 and use it almost daily. It is perhaps the closest you can get to a rangefinder in affordable digital (due to its hybrid OVF-EVF combination) and even then it was a pain to focus when I tried to use a true rangefinder of a Leica!
A rangefinder today is an esoteric and elitist approach, at the cost of maximizing the chance of getting it right re a photo. Like Leica is more of a status, fashion and coolness symbol than a tool for taking photos. My heretic opinion as a hoi polloi photographer

Last edited by nilanjanray : 8th November 2016 at 18:51.
Old 8th November 2016, 18:50   #14329
Team-BHP Support

Rangefinders when you have autofocus? Just because something is old, it doesn't become gold. Anyone want to buy a horse cart?
Old 9th November 2016, 14:29   #14330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are plenty of rangefinder units around, but I agree more and more only have a screen to visualize, no rangefinder per se. They are much cheaper and lighter than SLRs. You may be able to get a 10x zoom under 10k, and even 30x zooms exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
A rangefinder today is an esoteric and elitist approach, at the cost of maximizing the chance of getting it right re a photo. Like Leica is more of a status, fashion and coolness symbol than a tool for taking photos. My heretic opinion as a hoi polloi photographer
See my reply earlier. I have had three Canon rangefinders starting with an S45, before drifting back to SLRs and have no regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Rangefinders when you have autofocus? Just because something is old, it doesn't become gold. Anyone want to buy a horse cart?
Most rangefinder units today have auto focus. They work exactly the same way. Part pressure on the release gets the autofocus going, full press shoots. Please find and buy your horse cart, your compound can keep the horse happy!
Old 9th November 2016, 15:27   #14331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
A rangefinder today is an esoteric and elitist approach, at the cost of maximizing the chance of getting it right re a photo.
Not really. Modern rangefinders have decent AF capabilities. Hybrid OVFs like those on the Fuji X series show you parallax correction too. There is nothing elitist or esoteric about digital rangefinders more than the controls of a well thought out camera. I don't miss auto focus much anyway, I was using MF most of the time even on my SLR. But I am a 'slow' photographer.

Elitist for me would be spending Rs 250/- per frame in buying, developing and scanning a 120 size negative (after impressing your US based friend that he's serving Art by buying film for you and getting it back home, else costs go even higher). Esoteric would be developing the film on your own. I am doing the former for the love of the medium, not because I am rolling in the cash. But then, I still draw by hand when AutoCAD is around, so I might be an anachronism.

Quote:
On a related note, feel free to donate your old working rangefinders to me. I would love to increase my collection.

Last edited by architect : 9th November 2016 at 15:30.
Old 9th November 2016, 15:36   #14332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really. Modern rangefinders have decent AF capabilities. Hybrid OVFs like those on the Fuji X series show you parallax correction too. There is nothing elitist or esoteric about digital rangefinders more than the controls of a well thought out camera. I don't miss auto focus much anyway, I was using MF most of the time even on my SLR. But I am a 'slow' photographer.
If you are a slow photographer, AF shouldn't matter much to you.

People usually miss a shot when they (or their camera) can't react fast enough to focus on and shoot a difficult, moving subject.

Edit: when I said elitist I was thinking more of the Leica shooter types.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 9th November 2016 at 15:40.
Old 16th November 2016, 08:10   #14333
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikon announces D5600 ..

Quote:
Functional similarities to D5500 .. The entry-level Nikon D5600 puts an emphasis on social media compatibility by adding SnapBridge app support to the previous D5500 platform. It also adds time-lapse movies in-camera, and frame advance via the touch screen (currently available with the D500 and D5)
Availability & Prices not given yet .. Though Japan & India are likely to be after the initial release.
Old 16th November 2016, 09:53   #14334
BHPian

People. I have an 1300D. Intend to get a lens/telescope for astrophotography. As an amateur, need some advice for entry level activity. What is an economical lens/telescope I can get? I heard Celestron Telescopes are good.
Thanks in advance.
Unavowed_X9
Old 24th November 2016, 17:17   #14335
Team-BHP Support

Is there a multi-brand camera service shop in Bangalore? My Olympus OMD EM5 sensor had condensation issues during Rain Forest Challenge. Although the camera is water proof, there is nothing one can do about moisture condensing on the sensor in that wet weather. Now when I shoot with it, I notice lot of dirt at 100% crop.

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0100_1.jpg

Olympus service in India is truly pathetic, so approaching Olympus isn't my first choice. If there is a multi-brand camera service shop in Bangalore, I would like to get the sensor cleaned by them.

Any ideas?
Old 24th November 2016, 17:52   #14336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Olympus service in India is truly pathetic, so approaching Olympus isn't my first choice. If there is a multi-brand camera service shop in Bangalore, I would like to get the sensor cleaned by them.

Any ideas?
Hello,
You can try to clean the sensor DIY, it is a rather straightforward job.
There are tools available online and at camera shops for the same.
Old 24th November 2016, 18:17   #14337
BANNED

Quote:
Any ideas?
Why not try a DIY?

Sensor cleaning video

DSLR Sensor Cleaning Kit

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01ID8FRIU/..._sdUnybXRCAHMH
Old 24th November 2016, 20:21   #14338
Senior - BHPian

D500 Metering

The metering of the Nikon D500 is rather nice, reminds me of the D810's.

While I had taken the D500 to Dudhwa National Park for its AF and FPS and buffer, I ended up chasing the light most of the time. I took quite a few shots focusing somewhere and exposing elsewhere for the highlights.

Have started developing an inclination for muted, pastel shades.

Sunset
The DSLR Thread-dsc_3574.jpg

Sunrise. Had to brave prowling leopards and a cranky male tusker - whose footprints we saw the previous night, when driving (in a Gypsy) to a forest rest house 13 km inside, at 11.30 pm - to take this shot. Had to walk a little away from the FRH while keeping an eye out for unfriendly animals.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_3885.jpg

And also for forestscapes
The DSLR Thread-dsc_1880.jpg

Will write a photologue if I get time. Very few animals this time, except rhinos and deers. Someone else saw a tiger in the lights of a Gypsy at 6 pm, #lucky.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 24th November 2016 at 20:23.
Old 30th November 2016, 15:42   #14339
BHPian

Hi All,

I am about to purchase the nikon 70-300 vr, wanted to know about the overall performance and picture quality beyond 200mm. There are mixed reviews about the same, I will be using it with my D5500 and plan to do some amateur level wildlife photography.
Old 1st December 2016, 14:56   #14340
BHPian

Nikon D5600 is available in Mumbai. However since it is not launched in US no reviews are available. It is same as 5500 with some added features such as more wireless capabilities, time lapsed video etc.
But surprisingly comparison on Cameradecision website says it does not have AE bracketing which 5500 has. I do not believe this. How much important is it for low light shooting or for HDR.
5500 was not available after Diwali. I am now going for 5600 with some added cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks