Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 14:25   #14296
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
How do you check this? From what I know, the camera has not been used extensively.

http://www.nikonshuttercount.com/

Upload a pic taken from that to this site. Helps if the file is not high resolution
Old 19th October 2016, 15:30   #14297
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
No, not looking at super-zooms. Looking at specific / specialized lenses.

Secondly, the 18-300 is 44k on Amazon. We can get the 18-140 for less than 20k. Remember that the line-up is led by the 200-500 mm
Remember the lens may be for APS-C 25.1 x 16.7mm (which is what is being discussed here) on the full 35mm frame (24x36). A full frame lens has to form a far bigger image, and is hence far costlier and bulkier. I have a feeling that for most of us APS-C is the de facto standard now.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th October 2016 at 15:31.
Old 19th October 2016, 16:58   #14298
BHPian

Quote:
http://www.nikonshuttercount.com/

Upload a pic taken from that to this site. Helps if the file is not high resolution
So it's somewhere between 50-60k. Will get an exact figure by end of day.
Old 19th October 2016, 17:41   #14299
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like you have the prev version 55-200 VR
Yes, mine's the older one.

This is the best I've gotten out of it till now, haven't used it much though.

200mm, IS0-100, f/5.6, 1/160

The DSLR Thread-1.png

Last edited by harsh79 : 19th October 2016 at 17:56.
Old 21st October 2016, 21:49   #14300
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Canon 6D and a Canon 600 EX-RT flash. I want to use the flash as a slave unit, not a master unit, for that i need a wireless transmitter. I can use it as an optical slave flash but in day light it might not work as desired. I do need the flash as a fill light, some times in day too. Though for very limited shots.

Now the problem is, i need an ETTL trigger. The one from Canon with ETTL transmitters costs a bomb (17-22k) and few third party triggers/transmitter are there from companies like Yongnuo or phottix which can be bought within 7-10k.

Any pointers on this will be really helpful. Should i settle for a third party trigger or by compromising a bit go for another cheap flash and use my 600 Exrt as an optical slave?

Last edited by Samba : 21st October 2016 at 21:58.
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:03   #14301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I have a Canon 6D and a Canon 600 EX-RT flash. I want to use the flash as a slave unit, not a master unit, for that i need a wireless transmitter. I can use it as an optical slave flash but in day light it might not work as desired. I do need the flash as a fill light, some times in day too. Though for very limited shots.

Now the problem is, i need an ETTL trigger. The one from Canon with ETTL transmitters costs a bomb (17-22k) and few third party triggers/transmitter are there from companies like Yongnuo or phottix which can be bought within 7-10k.

Any pointers on this will be really helpful. Should i settle for a third party trigger or by compromising a bit go for another cheap flash and use my 600 Exrt as an optical slave?
From what I have read on photography forums, Yongnuo is the way to go, as every one abroad is switching to this brand. The OEM flashes are more rugged and last a long time, but for amateurs Yongnuo is good enough.

Some models of their flashes have an inbuilt RF trigger. Get one of those and you will have both a trigger and an external flash for not much extra above a base trigger.

I have a few 20 years+ flashes and they trigger optically at quite some distance, as long as the flash used to trigger is visible to the slave.

Last edited by Aroy : 22nd October 2016 at 12:05.
Old 22nd October 2016, 19:38   #14302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
From what I have read on photography forums, Yongnuo is the way to go, as every one abroad is switching to this brand. The OEM flashes are more rugged and last a long time, but for amateurs Yongnuo is good enough.

Some models of their flashes have an inbuilt RF trigger. Get one of those and you will have both a trigger and an external flash for not much extra above a base trigger.

I have a few 20 years+ flashes and they trigger optically at quite some distance, as long as the flash used to trigger is visible to the slave.
Thanks, that's a good idea. That way i can have two flashes as well and when i want one flash i can use the Yongnuo with its transmitter and when i need two, i can use my 600 EX-RT as an optical slave. Let me check how much the cost difference will be. If its not much will settle with your idea. Thanks a lot for the idea.

Last edited by Samba : 22nd October 2016 at 19:41.
Old 24th October 2016, 16:21   #14303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Guys, how to revive my interest in DSLR? [/i].
Don't fight it if the interest is going. . Also, try and see what kind of photography is important and enjoy the image-making process, not the tool. If it helps, here is what happened to me:

I spent five years with two sets DSLRs, both Nikon and Canon, (bringing my kit to the point where I was ready with all EF mount lenses for a full-frame Canon). Even did the occasional free "shoot" for friends' weddings etc. and people liked them.

I got busier and my travelling practically stopped. I couldn't lug my DSLR and three lenses and flash everywhere. Also, as my image making evolved, a nice, sharp picture with no noise was no longer a priority, as was an image that spoke to me (first, then others).

By that time, two years,ago I was heavily into film cameras, both 135 and 120 format. Film is difficult and slow but extremely rewarding. I shoot without meters, AF, etc, and the challenges are different.

Last year, I did some (photographic) soul-searching and purchased a (used) Fuji X100 from the Adorama in the US. It is a fantastic camera for the serious amateur who is okay with the 35 mm focal length. The hybrid viewfinder is a gem. Else, there are other capable mirrorless cameras (though they are usually expensive if you want good image quality).

I usually carry the X100 with me everywhere and keep one of my four film cameras in the car or the office desk. The type of film determines the usage.

In short, I don't miss my DSLRs. When I do, I take one out of the cupboard, usually the Canon since the Nikon is my wife's, and enjoy myself. Sometimes, I even plonk my 1960s vintage lenses (with adapters) on to it. It is the image (and what you want to say with it) that counts.

Last edited by architect : 24th October 2016 at 16:28.
Old 24th October 2016, 16:38   #14304
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have owned a Canon EOS 1000 D camera for some years now. I own the kit lens and a Canon EF 50mm F1.8 - https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-50-1p8-ii-c16 and a Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2_8_Macro.html

I have done some amateur photography and dabbled a bit in some documentary kind of shoots - even did an exhibition once in Bangalore. However, I have hardly touched the camera in the last 2 years.

I am moving to another place and planning to ditch the EOS 1000D body. Perhaps invest in a higher model at some later day and so will keep the lens. What do you think is a good model to move to - around 30k?

I have also been looking for a good wide angle lens - any pointers?
Old 28th October 2016, 12:42   #14305
Senior - BHPian

What is the best purchase price available for the Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM? Location Cochin or Bangalore.
Old 28th October 2016, 13:09   #14306
BHPian

The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
What is the best purchase price available for the Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM? Location Cochin or Bangalore.

Hi Sankar,

I bought the same lens for 129000 in April'16 in delhi. I got the lens filter free for that price. I had enquired about the same with Mr. Anish George who is a reputed seller from Kannur in photography fraternity in India. He runs a shop by the name of VideoLinks. You can get in touch with him on Fb for latest prices.

I have always found his prices to be most competitive in India and few of my friends have purchased from him before (cameras like 5DIII and stuff). His Facebook wall is always full of posts by buyers praising him for express delivery and compact packaging of products.

I wanted to order my 70-200 from him but then got the same price in delhi from Future Forward, R&B films Pvt. Ltd.

He responds to pings on Fb. If you wish, I can pm you details about Future Forward.

- Saurabh Sathe
Old 28th October 2016, 13:32   #14307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Sankar, call Videolinks .. numbers area available on the web / FB
Old 28th October 2016, 13:45   #14308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh89 View Post
Hi Sankar,

I bought the same lens for 129000 in April'16 in delhi. I got the lens filter free for that price. I had enquired about the same with Mr. Anish George who is a reputed seller from Kannur in photography fraternity in India. He runs a shop by the name of VideoLinks. You can get in touch with him on Fb for latest prices.

I have always found his prices to be most competitive in India and few of my friends have purchased from him before (cameras like 5DIII and stuff). His Facebook wall is always full of posts by buyers praising him for express delivery and compact packaging of products.

I wanted to order my 70-200 from him but then got the same price in delhi from Future Forward, R&B films Pvt. Ltd.

He responds to pings on Fb. If you wish, I can pm you details about Future Forward.

- Saurabh Sathe
Quote:
Sankar, call Videolinks .. numbers area available on the web / FB
Thanks Saurabh and Parwath Sir. I will get in touch them.
Old 28th October 2016, 15:51   #14309
BHPian

I am getting 18-105 with Nikon D5500 instead of 18-140. I don't know correct specification. Most probably they are VR. Apart from reach how much difference in quality shall be? Price difference may be 5k.
Old 28th October 2016, 20:04   #14310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
I am getting 18-105 with Nikon D5500 instead of 18-140. I don't know correct specification. Most probably they are VR. Apart from reach how much difference in quality shall be? Price difference may be 5k.
It's hard to get all the benefits in a single lens. Both the lens are equally good. But everything depends on the type of photos that you would usually take. If you travel a lot and take wide angle photos, I would suggest you to go with 18-105, else there's 18-140 which marginally performs well after 100mm. Id possible, try to get a feel of both the lenses. Even the weight matters a lot once you start carrying it more often.

Most Viewed