Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 10:28   #14476
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
70-300mm VR is a nice lens. I have used that a lot.

Planning to sell it off because nowadays I usually use the 200-500mm if I shoot wildlife and need zoom flexibility.
Thank you Nilanjan, I would be very happy if I can click pics half as good as yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Yes, 70-300 VR is a good lens to start with, I have used it in past and was quite happy with it
Thank you Techcoze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Do not get a non-VR lens as they will result in blurred images till you get your technique spot on.
One lens I have used which can do the job till you want better IQ is

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lens...1:2-af/review/

http://www.amazon.in/Tamron-70-300mm...4-14850d0a28b1

It is good enough till 200mm and a bit soft at 300mm, but will suit a beginer with low funds.
Thanks Aroy! Those links help, so these are VR lenses which you have shared right.
Your last sentence had me I could see myself in black n white in the world of photogrpahy : Old Mother + Blind Sister + Ailing Father + Paneer at Gold prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I have been using Nikon 70-300 since last 4 years and it's a great lens to have. You will need VR for sure as these lenses are much slower at full zoom.

My suggestion, get a 70-300 for regular use and when you head to the wild, rent a mega zoom like 500 for the time required. Unless you are into purely wildlife photography, you won't need the 500 very often. My two cents.
Thanks Justwheels!
Yes, looks like it will be the 70-300 and learn by usage, I have lots to learn about the camera as well and it won't help by just piling on lenses, will take it slow. Not sure whether I will be able to do any justice to rented lenses as well, i will be worried sick not to damage it during the safari.

Thanks a lot guys, all of you! Will update this thread!

Cheers,
Trojan
Old 25th May 2017, 10:42   #14477
BANNED

My son has requested me for my Nikon D5500 and the 18-140zoom. He (along with another Neurosurgeon friend) has signed up for the Mahindra Ladakh trip.
Old 4th June 2017, 20:48   #14478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Yes, looks like it will be the 70-300 and learn by usage, I have lots to learn about the camera as well and it won't help by just piling on lenses, will take it slow. Not sure whether I will be able to do any justice to rented lenses as well, i will be worried sick not to damage it during the safari.

Thanks a lot guys, all of you! Will update this thread!

Cheers,
Trojan
For the aforementioned 70-300 lens if you can stretch your budget a bit then this lens might interest you.
Tamron Tamron SP 70-300 mm F/4 - 5.6 Di VC USD for Nikon Digital SLR Lens
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/tamron-sp-...oduct.share.pp
Old 13th June 2017, 11:18   #14479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_leo_guy View Post
For the aforementioned 70-300 lens if you can stretch your budget a bit then this lens might interest you.
Tamron Tamron SP 70-300 mm F/4 - 5.6 Di VC USD for Nikon Digital SLR Lens
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/tamron-sp-...oduct.share.pp
Thanks for the link buddy, I didn't opt for it at the moment, still a novice need to learn a lot.

So finally received the Tamron

The DSLR Thread-img_20170612_215040055.jpg

Got it last night, no time to try it out except to check if its working! Noticed that on full zoom was able to focus but not able to hold it there, need to understand that bit on this lens - maybe I am not doing it the right way.

Looking forward to our Melghat trip this month

Cheers and thanks a lot everyone!!
Old 17th June 2017, 02:20   #14480
BHPian

Quote:
Similar thing happened with my D3300.

I just bought Rs.10/ rubber solution tube from the nearest auto spare parts dealer and used it. This is the same solution used by upholstery makers to stick fabric and rubber pieces together. Long ago I used same stuff for repairing cycle tube punctures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post

Gorilla Glue works great is what I'm told. I didn't have to try it myself because I own a "Canon" Too bad the grip gave away that quick on a pro body. Did you leave it on the dashboard or something?
I'm really sorry for the delayed response.

When I contacted Nikon they asked me to send the camera to them for estimate. But I tried using Gorilla Super Glue and that worked . Thanks very much Aroy & navin_bhp for your suggestion.

Sending to Nikon would have been an expensive route but I don't need it. Super glue saved me money.

On the other hand, I dropped my SB-700 flash and it started showing "zoom err". Right now it's with Nikon and I'm paying $145 to fix it.
Old 29th June 2017, 10:22   #14481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
I'm really sorry for the delayed response.

When I contacted Nikon they asked me to send the camera to them for estimate. But I tried using Gorilla Super Glue and that worked . Thanks very much Aroy & navin_bhp for your suggestion.

Sending to Nikon would have been an expensive route but I don't need it. Super glue saved me money.

On the other hand, I dropped my SB-700 flash and it started showing "zoom err". Right now it's with Nikon and I'm paying $145 to fix it.
Glad it worked! Ouch $145 You can get a used one for 20$ more.

Looks like the 26.2 MP Canon 6D Mark II is announced and is priced at 1999$
Old 4th July 2017, 22:26   #14482

I brought a Canon 1300D (Single lens kit) on October 2016.
Want to buy a Tripod,a telephoto lens and a UV filter.
Tripod (4k):-Vanguard Aluminium Tripod Espod CX 203 AGH With Gun Head.
Telephoto Lens (30k-40k):-Canon EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM.
UV filter (maximum 2k):-(Suggestions are welcome).
Any other suggestion from members are welcome.
Old 4th July 2017, 23:17   #14483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_love20 View Post
I brought a Canon 1300D (Single lens kit) on October 2016.
Want to buy a Tripod,a telephoto lens and a UV filter.
Tripod (4k):-Vanguard Aluminium Tripod Espod CX 203 AGH With Gun Head.
Telephoto Lens (30k-40k):-Canon EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM.
UV filter (maximum 2k):-(Suggestions are welcome).
Any other suggestion from members are welcome.
My suggestions are as below:

tripod: I bought a few entry level tripods and finally moved upto a ball head with a slightly better built. Works like a charm. I also have the gorilla pod DSLR with ball head. My suggestion for you is to skip all the entry level non ball tripods for the moment. Unless you absolutely want one, in which case go for the gorilla pod at that price range.

Telephoto lens: 70-300 IS USM is pretty decent. It is not the best, but alright. There should be a few of them available in the second hand market. This will definitely hunt in low light situations, but USM should help here. This is a much better choice than the 55-250.

UV filter: You really do not need one. I would recommend a lens hood over this. Unless you absolutely need one for protecting the front element, in which case, go for Hoya filters.

I would recommend to add the 50mm f1.8. You definitely need the nifty fifty. Read about this online on what the community says about this brilliant lens.

If you need to see lens sample images taken by various users, check out photogrpahy-on-the-net
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...play.php?f=107

Disclaimer: You should wait for other suggestions from other members before proceeding. These are just my view on things and it will be different from others.

Last edited by govigov : 4th July 2017 at 23:24.
Old 6th July 2017, 10:07   #14484
BHPian

Planning to upgrade my 7 year old 550d, to 800d. Last time i purchased from a "hole in the wall" shop in chickpet. He was one of the canon auth retailer. Now with all the online shops, where do we get the best deals? Any good retailers in bangalore?

Also, I read the GST had a positive impact on cameras. Any idea how much the price went down?

Last edited by gkrishn : 6th July 2017 at 10:08.
Old 6th July 2017, 12:45   #14485
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to get this 50 mm lens for my Nikon D3100.

Please check and let me know how good is this lens.

https://www.flipkart.com/nikon-af-s-...1afbbd14af54b7

PS - Will it be wise to invest in a new lens for a 6 year old camera?
Old 6th July 2017, 13:05   #14486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I am planning to get AF-S 50mm G lens for my Nikon D3100.
You will not go wrong with this lens, very good and affordable one. When it is time to upgrade your camera, hide this lens away and sell the rest of the camera+kit lens only.
Old 6th July 2017, 13:26   #14487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I am planning to get this 50 mm lens for my Nikon D3100.

Please check and let me know how good is this lens.

https://www.flipkart.com/nikon-af-s-...1afbbd14af54b7

Though there is nothing wrong in adding a lens to an older camera body, the D3100 is now quite old in technology and the newer offerings are much better, so it is time to trade in the D3100. My personal favourite is the D3300. The new 18-55 is far ahead of the older version, so getting a new camera is worth it. The going rate for a D3300 bundle is around 27K
https://www.flipkart.com/nikon-d3300...1dc2e091e87b1a
You may get between 5K and 10K for your old kit.

Regarding the 50mm, it depends on what you want it for. This is quite a good lens, though I prefer the 35mm F1.8DX, as it has the same FOV as our eyes so images are more natural. For portraits, though the longer focal length of 50mm will give you more isolation.

I suggest that you get the D3300 bundle now, and wait till the price of the 50mm/35mm drops (it does so regularly and at times comes down to 7K)
Old 6th July 2017, 16:56   #14488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though there is nothing wrong in adding a lens to an older camera body, the D3100 is now quite old in technology and the newer offerings are much better, so it is time to trade in the D3100. My personal favourite is the D3300. The new 18-55 is far ahead of the older version, so getting a new camera is worth it. The going rate for a D3300 bundle is around 27K
https://www.flipkart.com/nikon-d3300...1dc2e091e87b1a
You may get between 5K and 10K for your old kit.

Regarding the 50mm, it depends on what you want it for. This is quite a good lens, though I prefer the 35mm F1.8DX, as it has the same FOV as our eyes so images are more natural. For portraits, though the longer focal length of 50mm will give you more isolation.

I suggest that you get the D3300 bundle now, and wait till the price of the 50mm/35mm drops (it does so regularly and at times comes down to 7K)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
You will not go wrong with this lens, very good and affordable one. When it is time to upgrade your camera, hide this lens away and sell the rest of the camera+kit lens only.
Thanks Aroy and Skumare for your suggestions.

Aroy, Can you please let me know if the 50mm lens I shortlisted, will be compatible with Nikon D3300?

Also will it be compatible with a higher and expensive model of Nikon D series?

EDIT - Isn't D3400 a newer model instead of D3300?

Last edited by bluevolt : 6th July 2017 at 16:59.
Old 6th July 2017, 17:38   #14489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy and Skumare for your suggestions.

Aroy, Can you please let me know if the 50mm lens I shortlisted, will be compatible with Nikon D3300?

Also will it be compatible with a higher and expensive model of Nikon D series?

EDIT - Isn't D3400 a newer model instead of D3300?
The 50mm lens is FX (Full frame) so it is compatible with all Nikon DSLR

Yes the D3400 is newer, but I prefer the D3300 as it has a more powerful flash, and is much cheaper. The sensor and processor are same in both the bodies.

I bought the D3300 in March 2014 and till date my shutter count is 85,000+ and it is still going strong.
Old 8th July 2017, 18:44   #14490
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, especially if you happen to live and photograph in/around Channai. Lens restore/repair...

It's a question related to a "vintage" Olympus lens from an OM2 which has been sadly neglected in the back of a cupboard for over a decade. Interestingly, the camera seems to be in working order (and it has a film in it, though I guess that's just throw-away by now) but, much as I loved it way back then, it is the lens that interests me now.

It is just the standard lens of the day, 50mm f/1.8, but I'd love to give it a try on my Sony a6000. Cheap adapters are... cheap. And the setup would be full manual anyway.

Again, stuff seems to work, but there is a small amount of fungus/mould inside the lens.

What should I do first: get the adapter and see if U can make the lens work for me, or try to get the lens cleaned/serviced?

I'm not sure that I can get it to work for me. The OM2 would stop down the lens when taking the photo. I wonder if the adapter pushes that lever. Otherwise there is no way for the camera to know the aperture set or the amount of light reaching the sensor so that it may set the shutter speed. Whilst my dad managed, I have never owned a camera without some sort of metering built in.

OK. The basic question here is about the lens cleaning. From that, matters arising re using a legacy manual lens on a modern camera. All comments received gratefully!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks