Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 16:39   #14836
BANNED

@humyum - very valid. I have a Nikkor 35 mm. Need the zoom for convenience. Like videos.

Like this:-

http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product...vr#accessories
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:30   #14837
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
...Some days, back, found that the 15-55mm AFS-S DX kit lens (which came with D5600) was not focussing. So took it to the Nikon service centre. I'm told something broke, and hence no warranty is available for breakage. I'm fine with this - something may have happened while handling. The estimate quote is 3300k. What I want to know is, will the lens be factory-perfect after repair? The new lens cost is 9-10k.
Personally I feel it is not worth spending 3300 on repairs. Better to go for 18-105 or 18-140 new lens.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th April 2019 at 12:42. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:16   #14838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Some days, back, found that the 15-55mm AFS-S DX kit lens (which came with D5600) was not focussing. So took it to the Nikon service centre. I'm told something broke, and hence no warranty is available for breakage. I'm fine with this - something may have happened while handling. The estimate quote is 3300k. What I want to know is, will the lens be factory-perfect after repair? The new lens cost is 9-10k.
Most probably ribbon connector might be broken. Take it to any 3rd party repair person should cost around 1000 to 1500 rs.
Replacing ribbon does not degrade quality in anyway

If you are in Bangalore Deendayal Camera on CMH road is right place. Or Sheetla Camera.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th April 2019 at 12:42. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 14th December 2018, 00:30   #14839

A crude alternative to the add-on wifi adapter in Nikon D3300

Hello all, wanted to share a bit of information. Please excuse if the same has been discussed earlier.

Background: I set out on my photographic journey last year with a very limited budget. Got the most basic body, the Nikon D3300 with the 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm f1.8 prime lens for a little over 34k. Now, however, i feel the need for having a remote shutter release to get a family picture at outings, or that mandatory couples pic when out with the missus. Setting the timer and running into the frame gets tiring after a while.

Nikon offers a wifi adapter, the WU-1a, but reviews online present a horrible picture, with users reporting buggy software and unpredictable connections. If anyone here has used the same, please share your experience. I considered upgrading to the 5500 or 5600, but it was too much money for just wifi, swivel screen and a few other features while retaining the same APS-C sensor.

I built an IR remote looking at DIY videos on Youtube but discovered that it works only if the LED is pointed straight at the sensor. Also, the maximum range is roughly 10 feet.

So i hit upon another idea. Connected the USB cable to the camera, and the cable to my mobile phone using a USB OTG. Downloaded an app called DSLR control plus. I now had a wired shutter release through my phone. Downloaded another set of apps, VNC Team Viewer and Team Viewer Quick Support. Now the phone which is connected to the camera can be remotely controlled by another phone. Basically, it's an extension of the camera's live view. So i can mount my camera on a tripod, compose the shot, set and lock the focus, move into the frame and release the shutter from a distance. The variables like ISO, shutter speed, f-stop can be set remotely. This can also be helpful while taking long exposure shots where the camera has to remain absolutely still.

It needs a bit of getting used to, because there is considerable lag between the two phones. Definitely not the best solution, but hey... it's free
Old 14th December 2018, 09:09   #14840
BANNED

Sėgh. I believe SnapBridge can help the mobile be used as a remote. Not tried the remote control mode so far. This is a bit mobile and camera firmware specific, though.

Mine is a D5600.
Old 28th December 2018, 11:26   #14841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sėgh. I believe SnapBridge can help the mobile be used as a remote. Not tried the remote control mode so far. This is a bit mobile and camera firmware specific, though.

Mine is a D5600.
I have used Snapbridge for remote shooting. Set up requires some trial and error at times. Download the latest version.
Old 6th January 2019, 14:44   #14842
Senior - BHPian

Happy new year! A few shots from 2018

I keep transferring low res photos - shot during trips - to my mobile. Was going through my mobile folders, and decided to create a collage of a few 2018 photos using an app.

The interesting thing is. A few of these photos were taken using old, old gear. And a few shot using state of the art gear. In the end, it didn't matter.

So new folks wondering Canon vs Nikon vs Sony vs whatever. Doesn't matter. Just go for something after a little research, and grow with it.

The DSLR Thread-nr_2018.jpg
Old 9th January 2019, 15:37   #14843
BHPian

Hello dslr experts,
I have a trip planned to dubai in february first week. I have read that electronics like cameras and mobiles are cheaper in dubai. I own a Nikon Coolpix L110 and want to purchase my first dslr. Two points I want to ask-

1) Which entry level dslr and lens should I buy and
2) Is it advisable to purchase dslr from Dubai.

With regards
Anindya
Old 9th January 2019, 16:07   #14844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anindya_Anni View Post
Hello dslr experts,
I have a trip planned to dubai in february first week. I have read that electronics like cameras and mobiles are cheaper in dubai. I own a Nikon Coolpix L110 and want to purchase my first dslr. Two points I want to ask-

1) Which entry level dslr and lens should I buy and
2) Is it advisable to purchase dslr from Dubai.

With regards
Anindya
Been there recently. Gone are the days when Dubai shopping used to offer good deals on electronics or any other stuff. It is as expensive as India, if not more.

There is Dubai shopping festival going on but hardly any offers on electronics.
Old 9th January 2019, 16:49   #14845
Senior - BHPian

DSLR are best bought in India, as you will get Nikon warranty here. Nikon cameras bought outside India do not have warranty in India.

Entry level DSLR from Nikon are the D3xxx series. The D5xxx offer swivel screen and better connectivity.

If you want a bare bones DSLR at rock bottom price get the D3300 with its 18-55 kit lens. The D3300 has a more powerful flash compared to D3400 or D3500.

You can then decide on extra lenses as you get acquainted with your camera.
Old 9th January 2019, 16:57   #14846
BANNED

Hi, anindya. Please first decide between APS-C and full frame sensors. Plenty of reading material out there on what that means.

You can end up spending almost same as, if not, more for the lenses. (Did you notice the plural?) Especially if you are serious. Pretty confusing already. So, start with a budget. Read the reviews. Decide the features you'd want. And won't. Battery life. Weight you're willing to lug around, etc.

IMHO, a full frame set up can cost 2-3 times than an equivalent APS-C DSLR. And a mirrorless cam can be very light weight, but more costly with probably limited lens choices than a similar DSLR with same size sensor.

Check jjmehta and Amazon sites for prices. Once done, compare with DBX. Best of luck and welcome on board.

Edit:- you can always buy high capacity (512 gb or more) sdxc cards - not the micro ones.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 9th January 2019 at 17:06.
Old 11th January 2019, 22:52   #14847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Gone are the days when Dubai shopping used to offer good deals on electronics or any other stuff. It is as expensive as India, if not more.
There is Dubai shopping festival going on but hardly any offers on electronics.
You are right. I checked the prices of Nikon and Canon cameras on some online portals of Dubai and found them to be almost equal to the price offered here online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
DSLR are best bought in India, as you will get Nikon warranty here. Nikon cameras bought outside India do not have warranty in India.
I know that sir. My purpose of buying from outside was to save some money. I had watched a video on youtube regarding Canon 80D being almost 30k cheaper in Dubai's computer lane.

Quote:
Entry level DSLR from Nikon are the D3xxx series. The D5xxx offer swivel screen and better connectivity.
If you want a bare bones DSLR at rock bottom price get the D3300 with its 18-55 kit lens.
Price is not an issue sir. My budget is upto 50k. I'm confused between D3500 & D5600

Quote:
Hi, anindya. Please first decide between APS-C and full frame sensors.
You can end up spending almost same as, if not, more for the lenses. IMHO, a full frame set up can cost 2-3 times than an equivalent APS-C DSLR. And a mirrorless cam can be very light weight, but more costly with probably limited lens choices than a similar DSLR with same size sensor.
You have yourself answered the question sir.

Quote:
So, start with a budget. Read the reviews. Decide the features you'd want. And won't. Battery life. Weight you're willing to lug around, etc.
I have shortlisted two models, D3500 and D5600. I want wireless connection between my mobile and camera, so that I can use my mobile as a remote, just like, a mobile becomes remote in Maruti cars which have smartplay touchscreen infotainment system. Both the models are coming with two lenses, namely 18-55mm and 70-300mm. Please help me in deciding which one should I buy.

Quote:
Edit:- you can always buy high capacity (512 gb or more) sdxc cards - not the micro ones.
Nikon is giving 16 gb class 10 sd card alongwith both models. Will it not be enough.

With Regards
Anindya
Old 12th January 2019, 21:27   #14848
BANNED

Quote:
sir. My budget is upto 50k. I'm confused between D3500 & D5600
(Plenty of snips above)

I chose a D5600 with the 18-55mm kit. Then ended up buying the 35mm lens. And then the 70-300mm one too.

These serve different purposes. Remember that old ad by tempo traveller being only 30 cm longer than a Contessa and HM's retort that you can't go to office in a truck?

And not sure if you got my point about mirrorless camera. They are very light weight. Sometimes, feel the light weightless is worth the premium.

Regarding the memory - I have not used the one which came with my camera. It worked initially, but 6 months later, it does not. So, ...

I also suggest you keep a good lookout for sellers who swap original components of kits with their own components - particularly, the bags and memory cards.

I have posted pics with the 18-55 lens couple of pages back. Then, a breakage issue came up, and when the service got delayed, I panicked and got the 70-300

Here are the pics from Varanasi.

The DSLR Thread-1547307305430.jpg

The DSLR Thread-1547307448002.jpg

During dance performance by teachers and students of BHU.

The DSLR Thread-1547307712735.jpg

Cheth Sing fort. View from Panchkot.

Below is a pic of a black buck at Sarnath.

The DSLR Thread-1547308058380.jpg

To get a better idea, below are two pics, day pic from Sarnath, and night pic boating on the river, both use 18-55 lens.

The DSLR Thread-1547308351382.jpg

The DSLR Thread-1547308607022.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th April 2019 at 12:43. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 12th January 2019, 22:16   #14849
M35
BHPian

Quote:
To get a better idea, below are two pics, day pic from Sarnath, and night pic boating on the river, both use 18-55 lens.
Would you mind elaborating as to what 'idea' you wanted to convey through these images; especially the first four images?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th January 2019 at 00:03. Reason: Typo corrected. Thanks.
Old 12th January 2019, 22:37   #14850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Price is not an issue sir. My budget is upto 50k. I'm confused between D3500 & D5600
Do consider mirrorless cameras as well. The heavy weight DSLRs get quite tedious to carry around, especially when you have iphone or pixel that can capture similar photos with far greater comfort. Unless you have specific needs like long zoom wild animals/birds photography or ultra wide angle photography, I would suggest you to reconsider purchasing a DSLR, that too mirrored one.

I have D5200 and like it very much, but its weight gets in the way of taking it everywhere. The 7xxx series will have built in stabilizer, so cheaper lenses too can work fine on it. The swivel screen of D5xxx series comes in very handy.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th April 2019 at 12:44. Reason: line spacing

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks