Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 23:20   #14971
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Has any one used the Nikon 40mm f2.8 for Macro's ? How is it?
Haven't used it. Just want to confuse you a bit more The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro (older one which is without VC) 272EN is just a few thousands more and will give you a bit more working distance!
Old 6th November 2019, 10:27   #14972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Has any one used the Nikon 40mm f2.8 for Macro's ? How is it ?

Ken Rockwell says good for everything except Macro's !
This is a DX lens, so can be used only on the DX cameras - D3xxx, D5xxx or D7xxx.

The short focal length means that you have to be close to the subject, hence insects are out, but flowers, stamps and coins are just the objects for this lens. Regarding reviews, I would not take Ken Rockwell very seriously. Here are some reviews that you can read through

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-40mm-f2-8g-dx

https://www.thephoblographer.com/201...-micro-nikkor/
Old 6th November 2019, 12:06   #14973
BHPian

Guys. I'm looking to buy a DSLR and zeroed on the Canon 6D Mark ii.

And I heard from the Canon Image Square sales person that they are going to refrain from selling very soon.

Need your suggestions and inputs regarding the same. I'm too confused.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:40   #14974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
Guys. I'm looking to buy a DSLR and zeroed on the Canon 6D Mark ii.

Need your suggestions and inputs regarding the same. I'm too confused.
It's a very interesting situation to be in nowadays for the following reasons:
- No new Full frame DSLR launched by Canon in over a year
- 6D Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 1D Mark II (Mark III is in the pipeline)
- All of the above has received price cuts in the North American markets recently
- EOS-R is not on your list
- APS-C king 90D is also not in your list!

Do not worry about stocks it'll be available in India even if they stop production. Offline deals are always better for higher end cameras. I would suggest if you can borrow, rent a 6D mkII for few days it'll help you seal the deal. You'll not be missing much as nothing ground breaking is happening in the DSLR scene. In addition, when you have finalized the body start shortlisting your lenses!

Enjoy this phase and make a decision which you're happy with and not anyone else.

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 13:50   #14975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
- 6D Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 1D Mark II (Mark III is in the pipeline)
The sales person from the Canon Image Square mentioned that the update to 6D Mark ii is the EOS-R/RP. So 6D Mark iii is out of question (Atleast for now).

Quote:
- EOS-R is not on your list
I did consider it but the body is smaller and thus the battery capacity. Doesn't feel great when held. And the RF lenses are expensive too. And not sure how the adapter to EOS lenses will work too.

Quote:
- APS-C king 90D is also not in your list!
I did consider this again but 90D is a crop sensor.

I've used a Canon 60D earlier which is a crop sensor. Looking to invest in a full frame camera now.
Old 6th November 2019, 15:04   #14976
BHPian

Quote:
I've used a Canon 60D earlier which is a crop sensor. Looking to invest in a full frame camera now.
Excellent, if you can't stretch for the 5D then settle down for the 6D. May be this comparison will help you decide.

6D owners can share their views if anything is an ownership issue worth considering before purchase!

happy shooting
Old 6th November 2019, 15:11   #14977
BHPian

My canon nifty-50mm f1.8, has started to give issues. Sometimes shows up an message, communication error between the camera and lense.
Was thinking of replacing it as its almost 5years+; On other thoughts, will getting it serviced make any difference?
What could be the preferable way. I am only a hobbyist photographer.
Old 6th November 2019, 15:21   #14978
BHPian

Quote:

I did consider it but the body is smaller and thus the battery capacity.
Battery on EOS R is the same battery used in 5D4. EOS RP gets a smaller battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
My canon nifty-50mm f1.8, has started to give issues. Sometimes shows up an message, communication error between the camera and lense.
Was thinking of replacing it as its almost 5years+; On other thoughts, will getting it serviced make any difference?
What could be the preferable way. I am only a hobbyist photographer.
If its about the communication error, did you try cleaning the lens/ Camera contact points? If already cleaned and if you are still facing the issue, would suggest take it to Canon service center.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 6th November 2019 at 15:24.
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:27   #14979
BHPian

Hello everyone
I'm currently staying in Pune & want to know if there is any store here where I can go and check out various camera bags before deciding which one to purchase.
I have Nikon D5600 with 2 kit lenses and want a bag in which I can fit my other small things like, sunglasses, night glass, water bottle, etc.
Previously, I had ordered Lowepro Tahoe 150 from amazon, but it couldn't fit my other things, so returned it.
I also want an original Nikon lens hood HB-77. I'll be grateful if anyone can provide me inputs at the earliest. I'm departing on Sunday.

Regards
Anni
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:34   #14980
BANNED

The HB-77:-

Nikon HB-77 Bayonet Lens Hood for AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm Lenses https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01KKW4MGU/..._zH31DbRW38200

I use an Amazon Basicssling bag, but suggest you go for a proper back pack pack type one. Please check specs on Amazon. They have 2 or more sizes.
Old 3rd December 2019, 17:36   #14981
BHPian

Hi,
Seeking opinion on a zoom.
Nikon 200-500 mm / Tamaron 18-400mm / Sigma 150-600 mm/ Any other ?

I presently use a D7500 with 18-140(kit lens), 18-55(kit lens from an existing/older D3000), 10-24mm, 35mm prime, 55-300mm.

Need to weigh in weight/ price considerations. Am an occasional photographer due to time pressures but am a keen photographer when travelling out.
Not too keen on Tamaron 18-400mm as it overlaps with my existing lens set while not giving substantially more than the existing 300mm, but open to views.

I like the reviews on the 200-500mm but am worried about its weight during travel/ while taking handheld photographs. I do use a tripod but may not carry it with me all the time.

Please advise.
Old 3rd December 2019, 17:51   #14982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Seeking opinion on a zoom. Nikon 200-500 mm / Tamaron 18-400mm / Sigma 150-600 mm/ Any other ? I like the reviews on the 200-500mm but am worried about its weight during travel/ while taking handheld photographs. I do use a tripod but may not carry it with me all the time. Please advise.
I'd select the 200-500 any day over the 3rd party lenses. It's IQ approaches that of Nikon's tele primes. Another reason the focus speed and accuracy is better than that of the alternatives. You can use a monopod as an option to a tripod if you're travelling light.
Old 4th December 2019, 01:11   #14983
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I got a mirrorless (Lumix DMC G5) and have the strong itch to go for a DSLR. Am more of a beginner and with each good pic I take, my love for photography is increasing.

Since I don't want to splurge at the moment and also want to hit some training / coaching, I am very much inclined to get a used piece.

Could you suggest a good model which will not urge me to upgrade in a short span and also will keep me learning? I love to click everything and anything - portraits, flowers, landscape, animals etc etc.

Also, in Chennai, where can I look for a good training centre and also for a reputed shop to buy a pre-worshipped piece?
Old 10th December 2019, 19:57   #14984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Since I don't want to splurge at the moment and also want to hit some training / coaching, I am very much inclined to get a used piece.

Could you suggest a good model which will not urge me to upgrade in a short span and also will keep me learning? I love to click everything and anything - portraits, flowers, landscape, animals etc etc.
Probably a late reply but here it is. If you're okay with APS-C sensors, Nikon D7200/D7500, Canon 77D/80D are enthusiast/semi-pro level bodies which should keep you interested for a long time. These are widely available as pre-worshipped. You have a long and varied interest list and most of them require different lenses. Be prepared to splurge a lot more on lenses than body.
Try materials available online before you join a course. Here are a few links
https://www.nikonschool.in/D-slrvideo
https://photographylife.com/learn-photography
https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htmh

Best of luck!

Last edited by DaptChatterjee : 10th December 2019 at 19:59. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 10th December 2019, 21:03   #14985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Echoing what Dapt says - D7200 on the Nikon side. They'll be more of those than the D7500. Many prefer the D7200 over the newer sibling.

For a source - try JJMPF, rather than shops. And the best teacher - yourself. Go out and shoot. Will take some time, but hands-on's best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks