Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2019, 14:18   #14866
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Truth be told, a lot of the photos I used the DSLR for didn't really warrant that sort of gear (apart from the wildlife shots that required a telephoto). And looking at the thousands of shots people take and post online, there's nothing really special about the vaast majority of them that warrants such expensive gear (most of my pics included). I've stopped carrying my camera around, the phone does most of the job.
Last week at our club meeting, we had a very experienced photographer summarizing it as follows.

When it comes to photography there are three types of images

1 Happy snapper images. Images just randomly taken to capture something, no real thought behind it. Your typical tourist walking around taking images of everything in sight, without a thought

2 Personal Memories images: It is clear the image captured something of significance for the photographer. A place, an occurrence, a person etc. But the overall image lacks emotion and could be improved on technically.

3 Thought through images; Something or somebody has been captured in a very special way. When you see such an image, you will spend some time looking at it, whether you like it or not. It tells some story, there is emotion, even if it is a very simple image, you can talk about it. Technically little to no improvement is possible.

Don't get me wrong, one is not better than the other. If you enjoy photography, it does not matter how you enjoy it, or what kit you use.

But over the years I have come to realize that taking good images takes tremendous effort and time and experience. Even when talking to some of the top street photographers. Their images might look like extremely good/lucky snap shots. But that is rarely true, there tends to be an awful lot of planning and thought going into how they approach street photography.

I have had my share of lucky shots that turned out to be some really good, interesting images. Digital photography does that as it doesn't cost anything to take images. But by and large the images that have taken the most time, energy, planning usually are my best.

Planning could be as simple as making sure you can capture the early morning sun. If you don't get up at 0400am, drive for two hours to a predetermined spot and subject, you are never going to get that light! No matter what kit you carry!

Happy shooting
Jeroen

Last edited by navin : 28th August 2019 at 17:34. Reason: typo
Old 25th February 2019, 10:42   #14867
BHPian

Hey guys,

I've recently acquired a Sigma 150-600mm lens. The lens is all well & good but it is a real pain to hand-hold the beast. I was looking forward to buy a monopod. But, is it the best solution? Kindly share your opinions and recommendations on the same.

Thank you in advance.
Old 25th February 2019, 11:20   #14868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
I've recently acquired a Sigma 150-600mm lens. The lens is all well & good but it is a real pain to hand-hold the beast. I was looking forward to buy a monopod. But, is it the best solution? Kindly share your opinions and recommendations on the same. Thank you in advance.
For shooting at 600 mm it's best you use a tripod although a monopod will do. Look at Sirui, Vanguard and other Chinese makes. Manfrotto is very good too. Carbon fiber is better than metal.

Brands like Gitzo are very expensive and mostly for heavy (3-6 Kgs) professional telephoto prime or zoom lenses. Not applicable in your case

Even the slightest shake is magnified many fold. So combine a good quality tripod/monopod with a ball head that can lock down tight. Again, Manfrotto, Sirui and Vanguard are options
Old 25th February 2019, 11:33   #14869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

I've recently acquired a Sigma 150-600mm lens. The lens is all well & good but it is a real pain to hand-hold the beast. I was looking forward to buy a monopod. But, is it the best solution? Kindly share your opinions and recommendations on the same.

Thank you in advance.
I have been using the same lens with the D500 for close to 2 years now. 99% of my shots are hand-held.
Most of my field trips would be too constrained if I were to be using Tripods/Monopods.
Moreover, if shooting birds, particularly small hill birds, passerines, partridges etc. you hardly get time to set up any pod, before the bird flutters away.

So, my suggestion -
- Keep practising with hand-holding the lens. Increase ISO (say 1600, even 3200), and ignore the grain. Try and get a sharp shot (min. 1/800).
- As you get more familiarised (muscle memory) gradually decrease the ISO.
- Hit the gym and strengthen your overall arm, upper back and shoulder - trust me it'll work wonders.
- Get a Manfrotto (even a 3 legged one) lightweight Monopod, for just those trips which will allow you sedentary subjects (Waders, Large birds, Mammals, Raptors, Owls, Reptiles etc.).
- Don't get a Tripod unless you only intend to shoot Flamingoes at Sewri!

Last edited by roy_libran : 25th February 2019 at 11:42.
Old 25th February 2019, 13:10   #14870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
For shooting at 600 mm it's best you use a tripod although a monopod will do. Look at Sirui, Vanguard and other Chinese makes. Manfrotto is very good too. Carbon fiber is better than metal.

Brands like Gitzo are very expensive and mostly for heavy (3-6 Kgs) professional telephoto prime or zoom lenses. Not applicable in your case

Even the slightest shake is magnified many fold. So combine a good quality tripod/monopod with a ball head that can lock down tight. Again, Manfrotto, Sirui and Vanguard are options
I own a Benro Aluminium tripod. But, the issue is that it is too cumbersome to carry and setup everywhere. Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I have been using the same lens with the D500 for close to 2 years now. 99% of my shots are hand-held.
Most of my field trips would be too constrained if I were to be using Tripods/Monopods.
Moreover, if shooting birds, particularly small hill birds, passerines, partridges etc. you hardly get time to set up any pod, before the bird flutters away.

So, my suggestion -
- Keep practising with hand-holding the lens. Increase ISO (say 1600, even 3200), and ignore the grain. Try and get a sharp shot (min. 1/800).
- As you get more familiarised (muscle memory) gradually decrease the ISO.
- Hit the gym and strengthen your overall arm, upper back and shoulder - trust me it'll work wonders.
- Get a Manfrotto (even a 3 legged one) lightweight Monopod, for just those trips which will allow you sedentary subjects (Waders, Large birds, Mammals, Raptors, Owls, Reptiles etc.).
- Don't get a Tripod unless you only intend to shoot Flamingoes at Sewri!
Well, that motivated me to go and workout. Will keep your tips in mind. Thank you.
Old 25th February 2019, 15:30   #14871
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thank you in advance.
If you have the C version hand holding should be easy. Just get an R-Strap or Peak design slide to carry the setup and save your neck.
For the much heavier S version a monopod with a half gimbal is helpful. I had the S and this is how I used it. I had a CF Induro monopod and GBH1 gimbal. Since you have a tripod already you can mount the gimbal on it when needed. I've tried Sirui some years ago and the monopod's neck(where you mount the head) came loose in a week so get the best quality you can afford. Also, it is best to try the monopod and make sure the height works out for you with the head and camera attached. You won't like it if the setup is too tall or too low.

Here's my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-gp6a2364.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-gp6a2860.jpg  

Old 25th February 2019, 16:01   #14872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
If you have the C version hand holding should be easy. Just get an R-Strap or Peak design slide to carry the setup and save your neck.
For the much heavier S version a monopod with a half gimbal is helpful. I had the S and this is how I used it. I had a CF Induro monopod and GBH1 gimbal. Since you have a tripod already you can mount the gimbal on it when needed. I've tried Sirui some years ago and the monopod's neck(where you mount the head) came loose in a week so get the best quality you can afford. Also, it is best to try the monopod and make sure the height works out for you with the head and camera attached. You won't like it if the setup is too tall or too low.

Here's my setup.
I don't have a problem hand holding the lens during broad daylight. But because of the relatively slow aperture, it becomes a pain when you have to drop the shutter speed below 1/320th of a second. On top of that, I currently own a Canon 77D which has a cropped sensor and produces an equivalent of 1.6x of the 35mm focal length. The lens has very good stabilization but it's not possible to keep it steady at the mentioned conditions. I'll check out the methods you suggested. Though some of them seem a bit expensive for a 17 year old pursuing photography as a passionate hobby.
Old 25th February 2019, 17:46   #14873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Last week at our club meeting, we had a very experienced photographer summarizing it as follows.

Luckily, photography doesn't kill any one if you don't follow the rules. Light does play a significant role but you don't need to get up at 4 am and drive four hours to get the best light and location. Sometimes the most planned shot's don't end up the way one desires. That said one has to get the basics right and then follow one's heart than rules.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thank you in advance.
I've been hand holding a Nikon D610+Tamron 150-600mm since 2014, tripod is restrictive. Suppose a heron is flying above you can't wait for it to hover you have to raise the kit and take the shot. Hand holding is best.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th April 2019 at 12:40. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 25th February 2019, 18:09   #14874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Luckily, photography doesn't kill any one if you don't follow the rules. Light does play a significant role but you don't need to get up at 4 am and drive four hours to get the best light and location. Sometimes the most planned shot's don't end up the way one desires. That said one has to get the basics right and then follow one's heart than rules.
Absolutely, there are no mandatory rules when it comes to photography. And of course, with digital photography it is also so much easier (and affordable) to experiment.

Jeroen
Old 25th February 2019, 21:34   #14875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I have a recent-model Vanguard, and am not impressed with its build quality. I think they used to make better stuff.

I have two Sirui products, a small, lightweight, carbon-fibre tripod. The other is their monopod with three legs (not a tripod, and not safe to leave a camera on when unheld). My Sirui things leave the Vanguard standing (well, hopefully ). They seem to be amazingly well made. But I have given them only light usage, so navin_bhp's experience might be more useful.
Old 25th February 2019, 21:54   #14876
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thank you in advance.
I recently bought a manfrotto elements tripod. One of the legs can be removed and work as a monopod. You might have a look at one if you want both tripod and monopod.
Old 26th February 2019, 04:49   #14877
BHPian

Quote:
Though some of them seem a bit expensive for a 17 year old pursuing photography as a passionate hobby.
You can get any monopod that suites you and add a tilt head like Manfrotto 234. Even a ball head would work but the tilt head is ideal. This might sound funny but making a tiger paw facing towards you and resting the lens on it will reduce camera shake.
Old 26th February 2019, 07:40   #14878
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes the time and moment just appears to be framed: God given moment at Kapaleeshwarar Temple, Mylapore, Chennai>> a year ago>>Nikon D3200+Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

The Butterfly shot (handheld): It's best to do handheld with a telephoto lens, lest the moment is lost forever. Nikon D610+Tamron 150-600mm
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-kapali-1-copy.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-topaz-2625-copy_filtered001-copy2_filtered.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 26th February 2019 at 07:57.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:20   #14879
Senior - BHPian

Need a price check guys -

Thinking of selling my Backup Camera Nikon D5200 (9300 shots only although regularly) 3 years old. My primary is a D500, and mostly I carry just one camera on my trips.
But, given the recent price changes in the market, I am totally confused what I can reasonably expect for this Body. Any pointers please?
Old 5th April 2019, 12:00   #14880
BANNED

Just saw a mention that Canon is launching a full frame camera without a mirror. Great news, not only makes the camera smaller and lighter but also removes some restrictions on Lens Design which were prompted by need of the mirror. This will take some time to come in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks