Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 14:09   #15001
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to archive RAW files for long term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I've a question regarding long term archival of images. Currently I save the files in RAW format (.NEF) in cloud. I’ve read somewhere that down the years (a decade or more) these files may not be readable i.e. no software would be available to extract the image from the Digital Negative.
So how do we store the images without losing its clarity (RAW) for long term usage? Convert to DNG format or TIFF or anything. How do team-bhpians store the images?
I store RAW NEF files in portable USB drives.

NEF readers and viewers are available for most OS, so there should not be any problems. For added assurance you can store your favourite NEF processing software with the supported OS on a CD/DVD, so that you can create suitable environment in distant future.
Old 28th January 2020, 14:51   #15002
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Worst case: camera market tanks completely, first the minor players go under, followed by Canon and Nikon. Even Sony's thought-guided autofocus ( ) cannot save it's camera division.

Even that is not going to take out the whole world of billions of digital photos. Phones are still going to be taking them anyway.

Proprietary raw development software will no longer be developed by those companies. Does that matter? There won't be new cameras with new features needing new software. How long will it take for demand for these formats by Lightroom, etc, to die away? And all the free software? As long as community needs that software, community will support it.

Leaving the proprietary raw formats, how much time is it going to take for jpeg to fade away?

Personally: I don't archive raw files, except for very special occasions. I shoot raw+jpeg. If the jpegs are fine, I probably delete the raw files immediately. And what I most want to keep, anyway, whether it is out-of-camera or processed-from-raw, is the end result. The image, not the potential image.

I am not a professional. I do not print, let alone make large art prints. I do not photograph historical events (although some of the concerts I photograph might count as such to a small number of people). I am almost never going to want to go back to previous events and reprocess the raws.

Having said all that! Archive all and as much as you can. They say disk space is cheap. It is if you can afford it... So go for as much as you can afford including a good backup regime.
Old 31st January 2020, 17:23   #15003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

I'm now considering two options:

2.Go the full hog and get a new body+lens. I'm looking at Nikon 7x00 series with a 200-500mm lens.

My interests are mainly wildlife with some landscape photography.
Spent a good time over numerous weekends in the last few months looking at various cameras and ended up liking a Nikon d750 being sold in my friends circle.

Its not the most ideal choice for my interest but thought I'll try full frame instead of going for a crop sensor camera again.

I've quoted about 35k less than current market price for a 2015 d750 (40k shutter count ) + 50mm 1.8 prime lens. This was the only camera I liked of the many I evaluated. The owner is expecting something in the range of 30k less than current market price which is a little too much as per me. However, the quotes on olx are a lot higher than what he's expecting for a well maintained kit.

I'm wondering if I should ditch the deal and just get a brand new one or go ahead with this deal? Thoughts please
Old 31st January 2020, 18:51   #15004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spent a good time over numerous weekends in the last few months looking at various cameras and ended up liking a Nikon d750 being sold in my friends circle.

I'm wondering if I should ditch the deal and just get a brand new one or go ahead with this deal? Thoughts please
New D750 is available at less than a lac. So I suggest that you get a new one. 30K or 40K less is not much.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00NZ3A5MM/...subtag=4323895

Last edited by Aroy : 31st January 2020 at 18:53.
Old 31st January 2020, 23:38   #15005
BHPian

Quote:
Its not the most ideal choice for my interest but thought I'll try full frame instead of going for a crop sensor camera again.
You loose a bit of reach but gain a stop of light too. The extra light could be useful for wildlife.

Quote:
I've quoted about 35k less than current market price for a 2015 d750 (40k shutter count ) + 50mm 1.8 prime lens.
I'm wondering if I should ditch the deal and just get a brand new one or go ahead with this deal
Considering that D750 price is at rock bottom, 35k less than current price is a good deal. Owner is taking a bigger hit. Assuming you don't have a lot of dx lenses to dispense with, my vote is yes.
Old 1st February 2020, 12:14   #15006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
New D750 is available at less than a lac. So I suggest that you get a new one. 30K or 40K less is not much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
Considering that D750 price is at rock bottom, 35k less than current price is a good deal. Owner is taking a bigger hit. Assuming you don't have a lot of dx lenses to dispense with, my vote is yes.
Thank you both for your inputs.

I'm not sure of what a 'good' quote is. 30-35k is still a sizable amount, but I as a buyer will be getting a 5 year old camera,who's replacement was recently announced and probably has about 70-80% life left.
I understand lenses hold their value well when compared to body, so i'm thinking the sweet spot is somewhere around the 55-60% of current market price for body alone ?

For eg my old camera (D90 with Sigma 17-70mm 2.8) sold for about 20% of its original value, but that was outdated

Quote:
You loose a bit of reach but gain a stop of light too. The extra light could be useful for wildlife.
I'm thinking the same too! If I get lucky with big cat sightings i.e late evenings or early mornings the extra light may help in such situations.

Further, one of the reviews mentioned you could change certain settings on the D750 to get that 1.5x crop factor so may be when I really need that extra reach I could try this.
Old 1st February 2020, 21:38   #15007
BHPian

Quote:
Youtubers like Northrups are spreading those doomsday scenarios.
True, but in the long run say more than a decade would it be better to convert to some open format like Adobe .DNG etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I store RAW NEF files in portable USB drives.
I too have mirror setup apart from online cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am almost never going to want to go back to previous events and reprocess the raws.
Same for me, I convert all the images to JPG except few images which I feel might be used at later stage (and yes I've reused a handful of images - decided to print after couple of months)
Old 1st February 2020, 22:29   #15008
BHPian

Quote:
True, but in the long run say more than a decade would it be better to convert to some open format like Adobe .DNG etc?
DNG is Adobe's patented format. I convert to TIFF which is an open format. Have read that it's better to do camera/lens specific corrections (like white balance, CA corrections, vignette correction etc.) in RAW itself with manufacturer's software before converting to other formats.
Old 1st February 2020, 22:52   #15009
Distinguished - BHPian

RAW remains the "negative" of digital photography. TIFF, like jpeg, is an end-result image. But TIFF is lossless... And the file sizes are huge.

Isn't there a flac of images? Compressed but lossless? Or is that what tiff is?
Old 2nd February 2020, 00:36   #15010
BHPian

Quote:
DNG is Adobe's patented format. I convert to TIFF which is an open format. Have read that it's better to do camera/lens specific corrections (like white balance, CA corrections, vignette correction etc.) in RAW itself with manufacturer's software before converting to other formats.
Very true, but the specification is open which means more open source software will support it.
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative
Old 2nd February 2020, 00:55   #15011
BHPian

Folks, need some advice on selling my D5600 with 18-55 and 70-300 lens. I bought it from Amazon in Nov 2018 and the shutter count is 2351. It is still in warranty. It is sparingly used. I paid about 49K for it and want to sell it. What would be a good price to quote? How much do DX camera bodies depreciate? Can you guys let me know what to realistically expected for it and the best place to sell it to other similar photo/camera enthusiasts?
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:50   #15012
BHPian

Quote:
Very true, but the specification is open which means more open source software will support it.
There definitely are many third party softwares which support DNG. Some don't support like GIMP (it's free) which I use for processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
the best place to sell it to other similar photo/camera enthusiasts?
JJMPF forum and our own Team-BHP classifieds.
Old 5th March 2020, 23:56   #15013
BHPian

Now that i have sold my D5600, looking at either a D500 or D850 as the next update. Where can i physically touch and feel these 2 cameras in Bangalore? Had been to Mantri mall and visited Whizz outlet but they don't have any display pieces. The GK vale in malleswaram is all Canon. Does any other GK vale in BLR have D500 and D850 display pieces that i can touch and feel?

Will be renting these 2 over the next few months but before that i want to look at these first.
Old 6th March 2020, 08:14   #15014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Now that i have sold my D5600, looking at either a D500 or D850 as the next update. Where can i physically touch and feel these 2 cameras in Bangalore?
You should be able to see them at the Nikon Service Center.

JNR City Center First Floor Nagar, No-30, Raja Ram Mohan Roy Rd, near IBIS Hotel, Sampangi Rama Nagara, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560027

I know G K Vale is a Nikon dealer, so you can also call check which outlet keeps the models you want.
Old 30th March 2020, 16:07   #15015
BHPian

Hi guys, this is more of a classifieds related query but trying my luck here. Does anybody have a Canon 40D battery charger? I can't find mine and I have checked with a lot of my photographer friends and on Amazon (Amazon has a few options but no deliveries currently) but no luck so far. Any leads would be appreciated! Thanks!
vishwasvr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks