Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2019, 23:26   #14986
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

1.Can anybody help with dos and donts for servicing my Nikon 5300? And also if there is a good Nikon service center in Mumbai especially Eastern or central side, please do DM me the details with contact number.

2. Do we have meets for DSLR with TBHP? It would be really crazy to have like minded people together with their cams and their cars.

3. Do you guys feel the upgradation of camera phones today have started to make DSLR obsolete?
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 13:41   #14987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
1.Can anybody help with dos and donts for servicing my Nikon 5300? And also if there is a good Nikon service center in Mumbai especially Eastern or central side, please do DM me the details with contact number.
For any maintance or service take it to the Nikon service centre at Andheri East. heres the address:

Satellite Silver, Shop No. 6 & 7 Ground Floor, Opp Star Plus office, Marol Naka, Andheri Kurla Road, Andheri (E), 400059 Mumbai, tel 022-40925555

Nikon has reasonable charges for cleaning sensors and other minor adjustments or repairs.

Quote:
2. Do we have meets for DSLR with TBHP? It would be really crazy to have like minded people together with their cams and their cars.
Don't think so. There were lively discussions on this and the mirrorless thread in the past which for some reason have wound down.

Quote:
3. Do you guys feel the upgradation of camera phones today have started to make DSLR obsolete?
Camera phones have nearly killed the point-and-shoot type of cameras. DSLRs and MLCs (mirrorless cameras) are for more serious users/hobbyists.

But eventually DSLRs will die, they are more expensive to design, manufacture and maintain compared to mirrorless. Plus the fewer # of parts in mirrorless means lower # of breakdowns or adjustments. MLCs are the future without a doubt but they come with a few disadvantages of their own the primary being battery life.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th December 2019 at 13:42.
Old 4th January 2020, 22:15   #14988
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been using a Canon 600D with 18-135mm lense. I am on lookout for a telephoto lense with zoom upto 300 to 400mm. I'm kind of noob when it comes to optics and Physics! I had looked at Canon 70-300 mm also. I was suggested a Tamron lense which is supposedly all in one. With this, there is no need to interchange the lense if I have to take distant objects. Tamron Model B028 retailing at Rs. 57900/- Has anyone used or using this ?

The DSLR Thread-screenshot_20200104221624.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 4th January 2020 at 22:20.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 19:11   #14989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I've been using a Canon 600D with 18-135mm lense. I am on lookout for a telephoto lense with zoom upto 300 to 400mm. I'm kind of noob when it comes to optics and Physics! I had looked at Canon 70-300 mm also. I was suggested a Tamron lense which is supposedly all in one. With this, there is no need to interchange the lense if I have to take distant objects.[/ATTACH][/center]
Generally, higher the zoom, lower is the optical quality. And 22X is huge. I don't have any experience with this lens but just checked a few reviews like this one which confirms the theory. It is soft at the edges and performance drops at higher focal lengths, has slow Auto Focus performance. I feel you should retain your Canon 18-135mm for travel photography and get a separate lens for occasional long telephoto range. A Sigma or Tamron 100-400mm/70-300mm maybe!
Old 5th January 2020, 21:53   #14990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I was suggested a Tamron lense which is supposedly all in one.
Like Dapt mentioned: such lenses are "jack of some, master of none". The thumb rule: 3x-4x zoom is fine, but beyond that image quality from such lenses will start dropping.
Old 6th January 2020, 23:35   #14991
BHPian

Looking to buy Nikon D500 or D850 in the next 2-3 months. The best price i have seen so far is on Amazon where D500 body with 64GB card retails for about 1,21,000. There is one offer with 16-80 lens & 64 GB card for 1,54,000.

The best price for D850 seems to be in 2L range. Are there any offline stores i can buy from in Bangalore? Would prefer to buy over EMI because of the cost involved.
D500 retails for about 1,07,00 rupees (~$1500) on B&H. Is it possible to get it India at the same price?

I am mostly into wildlife photography
Old 7th January 2020, 00:27   #14992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Looking to buy Nikon D500 or D850 in the next 2-3 months. Are there any offline stores i can buy from in Bangalore?
D500 retails for about 1,07,00 rupees (~$1500) on B&H. Is it possible to get it India at the same price?

I am mostly into wildlife photography
You can search here for Nikon authorised dealers from Bangalore. I have heard about GK Vale and Foto circle but Bangaloreans would give you a better idea.

Indian rates are considerably higher than the States due to taxes. Don't expect B&H, Adorama prices!

To give you a fair idea, here are rates from JJ Mehta (Mumbai based seller) for D500 body, D850 body. These rates include shipping costs, so you should get them cheaper offline if you haggle a bit!
Old 7th January 2020, 01:39   #14993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
New gen smart phones are good for family gatherings, casual portraits etc, but for proper zoom, landscape and night photography, the DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are still better I believe.
Old 7th January 2020, 12:13   #14994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Looking to buy Nikon D500 or D850 in the next 2-3 months. \
The D500 body with 64GB SD Card retails for about Rs. 1.18 lakhs at GK Vale stores in Bangalore. I bought one last month.
Old 7th January 2020, 13:30   #14995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
The D500 body with 64GB SD Card retails for about Rs. 1.18 lakhs at GK Vale stores in Bangalore. I bought one last month.
Thanks. Was there EMI option available atGK Vale? Which store did you buy it from in Bangalore?
Old 7th January 2020, 13:55   #14996
BHPian

Don't recall seeing any EMI options. It might have been there. If you swipe a card they charge 2.5% extra. I bought from their MG Road store.
Old 7th January 2020, 19:20   #14997
Senior - BHPian

Canon 1Dx Mark III announced -> https://www.adorama.com/ica1dxm3k.html
Old 27th January 2020, 19:17   #14998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
You can search here for Nikon authorised dealers from Bangalore. I have heard about GK Vale and Foto circle but Bangaloreans would give you a better idea.

Indian rates are considerably higher than the States due to taxes. Don't expect B&H, Adorama prices!

To give you a fair idea, here are rates from JJ Mehta (Mumbai based seller) for D500 body, D850 body. These rates include shipping costs, so you should get them cheaper offline if you haggle a bit!
Depends on what you are shooting. But to do justice to D500, one should have a top of the line XQD card.
Old 27th January 2020, 22:24   #14999
BHPian

How to archive RAW files for long term?

I've a question regarding long term archival of images. Currently I save the files in RAW format (.NEF) in cloud. I’ve read somewhere that down the years (a decade or more) these files may not be readable i.e. no software would be available to extract the image from the Digital Negative.
So how do we store the images without losing its clarity (RAW) for long term usage? Convert to DNG format or TIFF or anything. How do team-bhpians store the images?
Old 27th January 2020, 23:38   #15000
BHPian

Re: How to archive RAW files for long term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Currently I save the files in RAW format (.NEF) in cloud. I’ve read somewhere that down the years (a decade or more) these files may not be readable i.e. no software would be available to extract the image from the Digital Negative.
So how do we store the images without losing its clarity (RAW) for long term usage?
Youtubers like Northrups are spreading those doomsday scenarios but I believe that Nikon won't vanish that easily. Till the time Nikon users are there, support for NEF format would be available.
I save both NEFs and JPEGs (in two external hard drives).
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks