Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 14:36   #6916
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

So I am upgrading from Canon 400D to Canon 1100D . I know it is not an upgrade, but it provide the HD movie recording. Actually I wanted to buy the HD camera but when I move to showroom I saw this 1100D which has HD recording, so decided to give a thought on this DSLR instead of going for HD video camera.

Some of the features I like from 1100D over my 400D

- Live view mode (good for macro photography, one can zoom in and select the focus manually and take pic)

- HD recording

- 700 shots for one charge (without flash)

- Blurring and Sharpening background option

- Creative Auto Shooting (Allows you to set DOF and Ambience setting) etc.

- Self timer with continues shooting mode.

- Autofocus in HD recroding mode.

- 12MP

What I dont

- No Spot metering

- No manual ISO setting in movie mode.

- Continues focusing is not possible in movie mode, auto Focus will be locked once focus is set

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 5th April 2011 at 14:37.
Old 5th April 2011, 14:53   #6917
Team-BHP Support

So basically you will be able to do video only landscapes. Or maybe shoot TV soaps on a set.
Forget real world camcorder usage. Without AF during video, esp with a shallow depth of field camera, you will be more frustrated.
I suggest you take a look at the panasonic EVILs.
Since you are in Europe, no issues about where to buy.

Panasonic continuous AF is the best in the market, and for those looking for camcorders, its a real good buy.
Old 5th April 2011, 15:35   #6918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
So I am upgrading from Canon 400D to Canon 1100D .....
I thought you bought a 5D MII body long back. Or it was a dream ? You mentioned about your 5D plans right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
.....Forget real world camcorder usage. Without AF during video, esp with a shallow depth of field camera, you will be more frustrated....
+1 to that point of Tanveer. Same case with D90, no AF for video. So its a pain to manual focus without shake.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:02   #6919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So basically you will be able to do video only landscapes. Or maybe shoot TV soaps on a set.
Forget real world camcorder usage. Without AF during video, esp with a shallow depth of field camera, you will be more frustrated.
Actually it allows you to do the autofocusing but once it is set, it is locked. So if I change the subject, I will stop the shooting, press the half shutter to focus and restart the shoot again.

I already bought it, will try it for 10 days otherwise I can return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I thought you bought a 5D MII body long back. Or it was a dream ? You mentioned about your 5D plans right ?
Shaju, I had replied to your post earlier, that instead of buying 5D MK II, I invested in Canon 16-35 L II lens.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 5th April 2011 at 16:04.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:44   #6920
Senior - BHPian

I differ from others on the video part , I have actually shot DSLR home videos and quality is really good and it is not as much pain as it is made out to be.

Also AF is actually available during video on Canon cams ( at-least on 500D and 550D) so you press * button and the lens focuses what is not available is focus tracking that is you lock the focus on an subject and the focus changes as the subject moves

The biggest problem with AF during video is that the noise of focus motor it gets transmitted through solid contact between body and lens and sounds quite shrill so audio editing during post processing becomes important.

Well in same price as 1100D you can buy 500D which is better feature wise IMHO and also Magic Lantern port is now available for 500D which is a big plus if you are really interested in Video.

So my suggestion for serious Video is 500D or 550D or 60D or 5D MK2 depending on moolah you have to spare.

Check what all features magic lantern unlock on 550 D here
550D - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Skipping 7D becuase magic lantern port is still away but it is work in progress.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:48   #6921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually it allows you to do the autofocusing but once it is set, it is locked. So if I change the subject, I will stop the shooting, press the half shutter to focus and restart the shoot again.

I already bought it, will try it for 10 days otherwise I can return it.

Shaju, I had replied to your post earlier, that instead of buying 5D MK II, I invested in Canon 16-35 L II lens.
Hey Pawan I am able to change focus without stopping the Video shoot on 500D , I just need to press the * button and it works , only side effect is that the audio noise of AF motor gets recorded which needs to be edited out so check on your cam as well.
Also see my last post about 550D/500D and Magic Lantern and if you have a chance return 1100D and get either of these in India 1100D and 500D are for nearly same price now.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:59   #6922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I differ from others on the video part , I have actually shot DSLR home videos and quality is really good and it is not as much pain as it is made out to be.......
Amit, dont be in a hurry to generalize all DSLRs. We talked about what Pawan owns, not at all related to other models in the market. I still have not seen someone buying a DSLR for video shoots (even as a time pass), except the PRO models that is equal to the cost of couple of dedicated high HD compact vid cams.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:37   #6923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amit, dont be in a hurry to generalize all DSLRs. We talked about what Pawan owns, not at all related to other models in the market. I still have not seen someone buying a DSLR for video shoots (even as a time pass), except the PRO models that is equal to the cost of couple of dedicated high HD compact vid cams.
I am generalizing just Canon DSLRs and not all DSLR, You need to register at vimeo to see what kind of stuff is being shot using DSLR.

Many people are not in to photography and they think DSLR itself is stupid and swear by P&S , I am sure you might have heard "kitna zoom hai" same goes for video.

For me biggest advantage is no need to carry an HD camcorder and juggle between still and video because my videos are mostly opportunistic.
Biggest disadvantage you are limited by the lens mounted on the body.
I was looking for a 15-85 IS USM for same reason , it is not in stock with jayesh for last 4 weeks .
I tried getting some one to carry it for me and payed money to a person in my company who was traveling abroad to buy from Airport but the guy returned empty handed today :-( this photographic madness forces us to take favors from anyone possible.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:38   #6924
BHPian

Quote:
Some of the features I like from 1100D

- Blurring and Sharpening background option
What is this? Is this like the option you find on the nex evil cameras? How does this work?
Old 5th April 2011, 18:44   #6925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am generalizing just Canon DSLRs and not all DSLR, You need to register at vimeo to see what kind of stuff is being shot using DSLR......
I got your point, I am a Vimeo member since long time and have seen plenty of amazing videos too. My post was to highlight the difficulties involved in a DSLR video shooting compared to a dedicated HD cam. Nowadays HD vid cams are very compact and affordable with tons of memory too.

Amit, tell me what you want to carry from the below when you want to shoot HD video And remember Sony can slip into a jeans pocket !
The DSLR Thread-dslrvid.jpg

The DSLR Thread-hdcam.jpg
Old 5th April 2011, 18:48   #6926
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Pawan I am able to change focus without stopping the Video shoot on 500D.
I just bought it and the box is still unopened, and I am in office. I read the online manual and it says focus the subject before shooting the movie, and the same written for 500D as well. So 1100D should be able to focus without stopping as you said.

Canon 1100D vs 500D

Specification wise seems like 1100D is almost equal to 500D, though 500D provide FullHD while 1100D supports only HD recording.

I like the control buttons in 1100D over 500D.

I need the video only for rare ocasion when I am travelling and I miss the video shooting at some places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
What is this? Is this like the option you find on the nex evil cameras? How does this work?
I read the manual and there is an option you can select how much to blur the background. I am not aware of nex evil camera.

@Shaju: DSLR provides you different lenses to use for video shooting, isn,t thats an advantage ?

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 5th April 2011 at 18:52.
Old 5th April 2011, 18:59   #6927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Specification wise seems like 1100D is almost equal to 500D, though 500D provide FullHD while 1100D supports only HD recording.
Congratulations on your new camera , True the feature difference between 1100D , 500D ,550D is razer thin.

If you are planning cropping for birds or macro then there may be a difference and also spot metering is missing apart from that no other diff between 500D and 1100D also processor is different but that matters if you are expecting open source software like Magic Lantern. But ML matters only if you want pro level video where you can appreciate rack focus, Zebra stripes , custom shutter, fine tuning ISO , timer features etc.
For still pictures I think only zebra and interval shooting will be extremely useful but you can do that with an accessory as well.

Last edited by amitk26 : 5th April 2011 at 19:04.
Old 5th April 2011, 19:46   #6928
BHPian

Quote:
Amit, tell me what you want to carry from the below when you want to shoot HD video And remember Sony can slip into a jeans pocket !

Hi Shaju,

I wish it was possible to achieve a narrow depth of field on handy cam if I wanted to blurr the background in the video. I suppose it is possible with DSLR video option.
Old 5th April 2011, 23:16   #6929
Senior - BHPian

Shaju I wear tight jeans so doesn't fit my pocket :-D

All the video rigs and dollys are needed if you want a super stable professional film like RGV's Dongala Muta but then you need a tripod even with handycams and noone has attempted to make a feature film using them so no need of shoulder rigs , lifts , dolly etc.
Any way each to his own I like flexibility of rotating jog dial and recording the video as the need arises , my handycam has already lost the resale value so it is adorning the cupboard.

Last edited by amitk26 : 5th April 2011 at 23:18.
Old 6th April 2011, 04:13   #6930
BHPian

Hi, I might be late to the discussion but want to add a few points in the favour of DSLRs with respect to video recording.

DSLRs have sensors larger than even the professional camcorders (Sony EX-3)! This allows low light operations, a wider dynamic range and a beautiful shallow depth of field like you see in photographs ("blurring the background"). Even the biggest and baddest of pro camcorders -- the RED camera, with its 4K resolution (4,480×1,920) -- has a sensor whose size is same as that of a full frame DSLR camera.

DSLRs are being used in professional setups for shooting as well. If you have seen the commercial stop animation movie "Corpse Bride", you would be surprised to know that it was done completely using the Canon EOS 1D MkII. Some more examples of movies shot using DSLRs -- Movie tech: 5 great films made with DSLRs - News - PC & Tech Authority

Here is a comparison of the sensor sizes in various cameras. Taken from: The DSLR Cinematography Guide
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-sensor_sizes1.jpg  

Last edited by nileshch : 6th April 2011 at 04:27. Reason: Added image source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks