Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2011, 21:26   #6241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bit the bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
That coupled with the seeming paucity of stocks of the D90 pushed my hand. Got my piece from JJMehta. Used my credit card and hence the damage was 56,100. Details:
Congratulations. D90 is the one I too was lusting after.

Quote:
P.S. Had to mentally prepare my wife for about 3 months.
Take some beautiful portraits of your wife, make large prints and gift them to her to thank her.
Old 30th January 2011, 14:33   #6242
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hey guys,

My dream Nikon lenses are on their way. I will get em soon within a day or two and update you all soon.

Cheers!
They are here!

a) Nikkor 70-200 F2.8 AFS VR-II

b) Nikkor 16-35 F4 AFS VR-II

Now to head out to the field ASAP.

Regards,
Old 30th January 2011, 19:03   #6243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are here!
Regards,
Wow, congrats, thats not a small dream for anyone !!!
Posting that you got them is not enough here, please share the seller, cost, days taken etc, atleast it will help people who are hunting the same By the way, whats the body used ?
Old 30th January 2011, 19:32   #6244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Wow, congrats, thats not a small dream for anyone !!!
Posting that you got them is not enough here, please share the seller, cost, days taken etc, atleast it will help people who are hunting the same By the way, whats the body used ?
Hi Shajufx,

Thanks.

I was not comfortable about buying these lenses in the grey market and chose to get them from the authorised Nikon dealer in Pune. Digital Life @ Nucleus Mall. It took him about a week to get them as the order had to be placed with Nikon's India HQ in Gurgaon. These lenses come with a 2 year warranty.

I never so much as touched a pro lens with a metal body in my life before. So holding the 70-200 VR2 has been an experience by itself. I kid you not, even my wife was impressed. It is heavy @ a little over 1.5 kgs. I have a D700 so the camera + lens combo will be ~2.5 kg.

The 16-35 is very well made pro ultra wide angle but comes with a high quality plastic exterior and is supposed to have a metal internal frame.

Both lenses are made in Japan and come with the so called Nano Crystal Coat.

Cheers!
Old 31st January 2011, 09:47   #6245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Take some beautiful portraits of your wife, make large prints and gift them to her to thank her.
Or, take pics of her and put it near the vanity mirror in your car
Quote:
They are here!

Regards,
Holy kau!!! Coupled with the D700 the 16-35 will give you complete field in a single frame!!!!

BTW, I remember reading somewhere on the net that 70-200 f2.8 is a very good landscape photography lens.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:35   #6246
Senior - BHPian

Finally i have my kit complete(or is it? ).

I have bought a Sony Alpha A230 DSLR last January and have been using it with the kit lens till i bought my first lens a Minolta 50mm F1.7 prime lens. Then added a bigger bag and a tripod last month and finally the most awaited upgrade the SAL 55-200 F 4-5.6 Lens added to the kit. Now i am looking for 3 UV filters, 2 55mm and 1 49mm. The lens focus ring rotates so cannot really use a CPL with the 2 SAL lenses in the auto focus mode, else would have bought one. Now for the wish list

Remote trigger Sony RMT DSLR1
UV Filters
IR filters
ND filters
Extension Tube
MD mount to alpha mount adapter, with infinity focus
Some great MD mount lenses(are available at throw away prices)
reversal ring
Some lights

Pramod
Old 31st January 2011, 12:02   #6247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....I never so much as touched a pro lens with a metal body in my life before. So holding the 70-200 VR2 has been an experience by itself.....It is heavy @ a little over 1.5 kgs. I have a D700 so the camera + lens combo will be ~2.5 kg....
Its a different feel to touch the real PRO metal lenses, no doubt. Whenever I go to a camera shop for something, I make sure I caress some of the metal myself until a day I can have them in my bag Sellers normally dont allow such bad habits but I have made a good impression with them so far.

Weight part, we are in the same boat. My D90 with its battery pack and 2 batteries weigh 1080 grams, I use a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 which is another 1370 grams, so total it comes to 2450, which is 50 grams less than you I am anyway training myself to carry a full frame body sometime in the future. I used to get shoulder pain after 2 or 3 hours of walk earlier, but now the body is used to it.

So, did you pay the MRP or the dealer gave you some seasonal discounts ? Will be curious to see some images from your 16-35 ! Nikon might be launching D800 very soon, hopefully I should be getting one by that time.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:03   #6248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The lens focus ring rotates so cannot really use a CPL with the 2 SAL lenses in the auto focus mode, else would have bought one.
Not a big problem... I use it with my 18-70mm, yes the focusing gets it rotated, but after that I rotate the cpl alone to achieve what I want. Alternatively, you can hold the outer ring of CPL to prevent it from rotating while AF is at work.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:12   #6249
BHPian

Quote:
I was not comfortable about buying these lenses in the grey market and chose to get them from the authorised Nikon dealer in Pune. Digital Life @ Nucleus Mall. It took him about a week to get them as the order had to be placed with Nikon's India HQ in Gurgaon. These lenses come with a 2 year warranty.
Could you please share the price and discount in this thread or may be via PM.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:40   #6250
Senior - BHPian

@biju, kk,

Thanks. Will let you know how that goes.

Gentlemen,
Will also like your recommendations wrt to a decent bag. Right now I am carrying the camera in a LowePro Altus 170. It is a bit cramped. Over a period of two months I would be adding a prime lens. Over a period of 6 months I am looking at adding a 55-200. Other things to carry would be a tripod, filters, batteries, charger and cleaning kit.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:53   #6251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Will also like your recommendations wrt to a decent bag. Right now I am carrying the camera in a LowePro Altus 170. It is a bit cramped. Over a period of two months I would be adding a prime lens. Over a period of 6 months I am looking at adding a 55-200. Other things to carry would be a tripod, filters, batteries, charger and cleaning kit.
I have just bought Lowepro Fastpack 250 and carrying D90, 18-105, 70-300, 50mm, Charger, cables, It still has capability to carry one more lens. It has got separate compartment to put a lot of small stuff. I am carrying my Sony T5 DSC in that area with its carry case. It can carry 15.4" laptop as well.

I was thinking to either have a bag which can carry laptop & tripod both. But the low ranges of lowepro can either carry Laptop Or Tripod. Or else One has to go to Pro Runner series.

Later I thought that having a separate tripod bag would be better as even if I attach tripod to backpack it would be cumbersome as it will be not be covered and will stuck with people, things, walls etc. and can hurt others / self.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:01   #6252
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I saw few DSLR bags at Samsonite Showroom.
Good Part

* Arrangement of back pack is in 2 parts the top compartment can keep Camera + a medium size lens such as Sigma 70-300 Fully retracted + Hood revesed in normal position ( not the traditional lens face down in backpacks).

There are 2 side packets for lower half from where you can tuck in 2 lens on each side + a big pocket to keep all the other stuff.

There is a rain-cover as well and price is right around 3K.

* No Camera brand logo so does look like a small back pack.

* Material is good

Bad part

* While the padding for lower compartments to keep lenses are good the padding for main top compartment is flimsy.
* The top compartment space could have been better utilized.

There are 3 different DSLR backpacks and one Tote style DSLR bag for women photographers which is a first of it's kind.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:31   #6253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Could you please share the price and discount in this thread or may be via PM.
This person is my cousin's friend and based on the fact that I bought my DSLR and other lenses from him he did give me a slight extra discount. However, he has requested this not be published in any forum or by word of mouth for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Weight part, we are in the same boat. My D90 with its battery pack and 2 batteries weigh 1080 grams, I use a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 which is another 1370 grams, so total it comes to 2450, which is 50 grams less than you I am anyway training myself to carry a full frame body sometime in the future. I used to get shoulder pain after 2 or 3 hours of walk earlier, but now the body is used to it.

Will be curious to see some images from your 16-35 ! Nikon might be launching D800 very soon, hopefully I should be getting one by that time.
I hate to imagine attaching a battery pack on the D700 over and above its already hefty 1 kg weight (w/o lens). I'll definitely post my 16-35 photos soon. Have also asked the dealer to get me a pair of Hoya MC UV filters for use on these 2 lenses.

Actually Shaju, wanted to ask if you if you have insured the camera/lenses. I am tempted to do so given my investment in the kit. Any company that you can recommend?

The next camera body upgrade will be when I see 25-30 mp in a prosumer body like the D700 with the same type of low light photo quality. Till then I am sticking with this one. The D700x or D800, depending on which Nikon enthusiast site you visit, is expected to be about 16-21MP and should be out later this year in the June to Oct timeframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Coupled with the D700 the 16-35 will give you complete field in a single frame!!!!

BTW, I remember reading somewhere on the net that 70-200 f2.8 is a very good landscape photography lens.
I don't think the 70-200 is a good landscape lens as is the 16-35 wide angle. But I've never worked with ultra wides before so there will be a learning curve for me.

Cheers!
Old 31st January 2011, 14:56   #6254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... if you have insured the camera/lenses. I am tempted to do so given my investment in the kit. Any company that you can recommend?........
I have not done yet (it will require original invoice and details). Not heard of anyone insuring it. I am sure there should be some company that covers camera equipments. Its easy to get better info from a professional studio guy. New India Assurance might have one, as they have something for electronic goods. I will check with friends, will post details if I get more on this.
Old 31st January 2011, 16:00   #6255
Senior - BHPian

May be not when compared with the 16-35.
Quote:
I don't think the 70-200 is a good landscape lens as is the 16-35 wide angle. But I've never worked with ultra wides before so there will be a learning curve for me....
Just have a look at this link below to get some ideas:
Mind showing me some 'landscape/scenary' shots using the 70-200 F2.8?: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review

Quote:
I have not done yet (it will require original invoice and details). Not heard of anyone insuring it. I am sure there should be some company that covers camera equipments. Its easy to get better info from a professional studio guy. New India Assurance might have one, as they have something for electronic goods. I will check with friends, will post details if I get more on this.
Quote:
United India does. I have all my equipment insured by them. Camera equipment can be insured under (If i am correct) under a section called "All Risks") which inlcudes theft, malfunction, etc.

I am sure there are other companies too.
Source:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/hpc/dis...57622394394939

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 31st January 2011 at 16:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks