Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:05   #6196
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Guys, I'm off on a 5 day trip this week to Munnar - Valparai.. Includes travelling by Train.. Bus.. and also a Car / Jeep for local Sightseeing.
Are you going with your family / friends or going there for photography?? If it is the later, I would suggest all the three. But if it is the former case, I would suggest 17-50 as a good walk around lens.
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:25   #6197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Which camera Bag would you recommend me to use, A Back pack (Tamrac ExpeditionBackpack - 5273) or The Canon Waist Bag ?
Does the canon waist pack even fit all the above lenses?

Anyways, backpack or waistpack decision would depend on what you plan to do. If the trip involves lot of walking around, a backpack would be more ergonomical. Plus, IMO the canon waist pack does not offer enough protection to the gear.
Old 23rd January 2011, 18:22   #6198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Are you going with your family / friends or going there for photography?? If it is the later, I would suggest all the three. But if it is the former case, I would suggest 17-50 as a good walk around lens.
Its mostly a Family oriented trip + any photo opportunity that i could use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Does the canon waist pack even fit all the above lenses?

Anyways, backpack or waistpack decision would depend on what you plan to do. If the trip involves lot of walking around, a backpack would be more ergonomical. Plus, IMO the canon waist pack does not offer enough protection to the gear.
It does. If i mount the Tamron 17-50, It has just enough room for my other lenses.

Yes, Completely agree on the protection part. I guess I'm better off with my Tamrac then.

Thanks guys.
Old 23rd January 2011, 23:22   #6199
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I'm off on a 5 day trip this week to Munnar - Valparai.. Includes travelling by Train.. Bus.. and also a Car / Jeep for local Sightseeing.

Lenses i currently have is : Sigma 10-20 / Tamron 17-50 F2.8 / Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6.

It would mostly be a mix of Landscape + Wild Life Trip:

1. Should i take my Tamron 17-50 ?

2. Should i buy a Tripod before the trip / Is Tripod a must for this kind of a trip?
My suggestion is to carry a tripod, there may arise many a great low light opportunities and you wouldn't want to regret later of course.

Speaking from personal experience, when one goes to some kind of a remote place and there is nothing much to do after sunset generally, that is exactly the time to sit back idle and miss the tripod
Old 24th January 2011, 12:40   #6200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
My suggestion is to carry a tripod, there may arise many a great low light opportunities and you wouldn't want to regret later of course.

Speaking from personal experience, when one goes to some kind of a remote place and there is nothing much to do after sunset generally, that is exactly the time to sit back idle and miss the tripod
Thanks. Now, I will hunt down for a good Tripod then
Old 24th January 2011, 18:50   #6201
Senior - BHPian

Latest update on D-90 prices in Mumbai

Central Camera - 52,000
Ria Enterprises - 52,950
Prerana - 53,000

This is with the 18-105mm VR lens, 4 GB card and carry case. This is much lower than the price on JJ Mehta as well as on the Nikon site.
Old 24th January 2011, 19:14   #6202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Latest update on D-90 prices in Mumbai

Central Camera - 52,000
Ria Enterprises - 52,950
Prerana - 53,000

This is with the 18-105mm VR lens, 4 GB card and carry case. This is much lower than the price on JJ Mehta as well as on the Nikon site.
Very good and competitive prices. I got mine last month in Delhi - Region in 55,000 with kit lens, 4gb card and carry case. I had searched for almost 1 month and this (55K) was the lowest.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:54   #6203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
2nd std is really early , I respect generocity of your father because that was an age when Camera was really expensive equipment.

Oh yes! He is the best , gave his only camera that he had saved for quite awhile (years) to buy. Also his first camera. It is still with us.
Old 25th January 2011, 10:51   #6204
Senior - BHPian

I have almost decided to go the DSLR way (over EVIL). However I am now in confusion:

1. I have ruled out Olympus and Sony, mainly because though the cameras are good, DSLRs do not seem to be in the long term roadmap for these manufacturers. In fact I saw the first Sony A290 in Mumbai only this Sunday. When asked about the A55 and the A330 the standard answer is "We do not carry that". And I have been literally scouring the place for an E620 and have not seen one.
2. I am intrigued by the Pentax line; the K-7 seems to be rich in features. However, they are non-existent in India and I am scared of being stuck with a faulty piece and no backup.
3. I have decided not to go above INR 60k (body + decent lens)

Now I am stuck between the Canon EOS 550D and the Nikon D90. I was almost settled on the D90, but the more I read about it, the Canon does not look bad either. Would like your suggestions. I am very manufacturer neutral, and am looking at the long term because getting a DSLR and its system is like a marriage. Divorces are very expensive.
Old 25th January 2011, 10:59   #6205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
T

Now I am stuck between the Canon EOS 550D and the Nikon D90. I was almost settled on the D90, but the more I read about it, the Canon does not look bad either.
I also don't have brand loyalty and would have suggested you Pentax but it is sad that Pentax is not interested in selling to Indians.

About 550D What do you mean by not bad ? It is in fact lot better there is a generation gap between the two , Of-course I am only talking of measurable quantifiable parameters , discounting usual things which people cite such as "feels better in hand" which are subjective.

In addition to everything else 550D beats all other at that price point in terms of video and use of adapted lenses.

FYI I am using 50mm F1.4 Takumar and have acquired a Vivitar Series 1 90mm F2.8 Vivitar in FD mount for Macro ( not yet reached in my hands).
Thinking of a Nikkor 24mm as well as and when I can find one at a good price.
Old 25th January 2011, 12:05   #6206
Distinguished - BHPian

Lens for EOS 350D

Guys, pls suggest a lens for a Canon EOS 350D.

Intended use mentioned is portraits, sometimes macro. Mid range zoom (does not need to be very high tele).

Thanks !
Old 25th January 2011, 12:10   #6207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, pls suggest a lens for a Canon EOS 350D.

Intended use mentioned is portraits, sometimes macro. Mid range zoom (does not need to be very high tele).

Thanks !
Fitting all of them in one is nearly impossible but seems you need Canon 15-85 IS USM and set of auto extension tubes for macro work.

In case you are not inclined on zoom Canon 50 F1.8 with extension tube fills your requirements for portrait and macro.
Old 25th January 2011, 13:09   #6208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Fitting all of them in one is nearly impossible but seems you need Canon 15-85 IS USM and set of auto extension tubes for macro work.

In case you are not inclined on zoom Canon 50 F1.8 with extension tube fills your requirements for portrait and macro.
I am looking for some extension tubes for my nikon 50 f1.8, looking for some pointers.
Old 25th January 2011, 14:26   #6209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Second item you have listed is not a DSLR. It is an EVIL camera (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) so it is difficult to suggest because of lack of clarity on what you exactly need.
I am newbie in vast camera world. I am using a normal Digital Camera. I want to upgrade to a better camera. So which will be better DSLR or EVIL. If its DSLR means what to buy?? if its EVIL means what will be suitable model. My Budget is 30000/- (+/- 5K)
Old 25th January 2011, 14:57   #6210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
If its DSLR means what to buy?? if its EVIL means what will be suitable model. My Budget is 30000/- (+/- 5K)
In that case, stick to a DSLR. Unless of course portability is a bigger parameter than options in terms of lens. You could go for a Canon 1000D for instance. Sony Alpha 290s are also in the shops now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks