Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 11:35   #4441
BHPian

After the Canon 550D with the 18-55 kit lens and a 70-200 4F/IS USM Canon Lens, i am now contemplating rounding up with a Polarising Filter (a lot of credit should go to RK's pictures of Ladakh !) and hence wanted to check with the Forum on the best/recommended polarising filters that are available along with a price range.

The 70-200 as well as 18-55 takes a 67 mm filter. Would appreciate any inputs on the lens. My use is going to be primarily landscapes and possibly portraits /kids at a later date.

cheers
vinay sambaragimath
Old 9th July 2010, 11:56   #4442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I am toying with the idea of buying Canon 550D 18-135 mm IS lens kit at Singapore on my way back to HQ, which costs around S$ 1500 [INR 51 k] free of GST. I will be travelling with my wife. 1 year Canon Singapore warranty = 1 year Canon India warranty. But, do I have to pay customs duty at Bangalore International Airport since it exceeds Rs 25 k limit per passenger? Or one camera per passenger is allowed, just like one laptop per passenger? The same kit is available in India for Rs 64 k with 2 year Canon India warranty. Kindly enlighten me.
Are you sure on 1 year Canon India warranty part ? I was clearly told that Canon does not offer India warrenty on any body purchased outside India.
Also in case you need a good all in one carry around lens check Tamron 18-270 before you buy.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:03   #4443
BHPian

Which one should i go for ?
Nikon D3000 with 18/55 VR lens at 22k or Cannon 1000D with 18.55 IS lens at 25k ?
Old 9th July 2010, 13:39   #4444
Senior - BHPian

There is a photo today exhitibition happening at Palace grounds from today (9th to 11th July 2010, 10am to 6pm). Link ~~ Welcome to Photo Today ~~

I was there between 10.30am to 12pm today. Entry fee is Rs.45/-. Sigma has a full line up of their lenses displayed by Shetala Cameras. Also you will find Lowepro and Tamrac stalls with an extensive stock of their camera bags. There are few stalls dealing with flashes, soft boxes, lighting systems, reflectors, light stands, backdrops and many studio equipments. I could find a lot of product photography related gadgets. I bought a soft box for my macro too (Rs.100/). Canon and Kodak have their stalls with P&S cameras.

Then you can find rechargeable batteries, chargers and cheap chinese back up batteries for most camera brands. There are few shops displaying duplicate front and rear lens caps. There is live photoshop tutorial running at 3 different places inside, you will find good crowd seated to watch the live sessions too, in different languages.

You will find hall no-1 with all the printing related gadgets right from huge hoarding printers to small passport size printers, lamination machines etc. It was free entry there. Lot of stalls are yet to be functional, but I could find a good crowd even today. It will be tight packed tomorrow and day after.

Although I was notified about this exhibition a month back by Ronnie of Propix, when I was looking for a tripod. Sadly I couldnt find any stalls dealing with tripods. Anyway I bought a used Fiesol CT 3441 from a Doctor in Mangalore 2 weeks back (12k). Got a ball head Benro-BH-0 from Gaffarbhai Mumbai too (2.7k).
Old 9th July 2010, 13:55   #4445
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Ketan,
The 18-135mm IS lens itself cost between 23-25k and the cost of 46k at Croma etc is without this lens. I think that J. Ravi is getting a very good deal for the said kit at 1,500 Sing. Dollars. Go for it, I say!
Thanks for kind information, anilkalvani.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
ah! my mistake, I misread it for 18-55 IS. Yes, in that case Ravi can go for it, I dont have much idea about 18-135 IS.
550D with kit lens is for 46K+ over here.
Thanks, ketan, for the input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Are you sure on 1 year Canon India warranty part ? I was clearly told that Canon does not offer India warrenty on any body purchased outside India.
Also in case you need a good all in one carry around lens check Tamron 18-270 before you buy.
Thanks a lot, amitk26. I will buy it in Singapore without any worry.

According to Canon Singapore website, Canon Singapore warranty is valid in India too. Here is the screen-shot of the Canon Singapore website:
The DSLR Thread-canon.jpg

Old 9th July 2010, 17:57   #4446
Senior - BHPian

On ebay while searching I came across this offer for D90:

eBay India: NIKON D90 DSLR CAMERA + 18-105 VR LENS NEW+4gb+bag+wrnt (item 130406479614 end time 10-Jul-2010 18:07:54 IST)

D90 camera body + 18-105mm VR lens+4GB card+ bag+ warranty for Rs 50,000/-

However, there is nothing about the type of card or type of bag or even extent of warranty.

Anybody to comment on the price and this offer?
Old 9th July 2010, 18:56   #4447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
D90 camera body + 18-105mm VR lens+4GB card+ bag+ warranty for Rs 50,000/-

However, there is nothing about the type of card or type of bag or even extent of warranty.
It is mentioned that warranty is for one year. So definitely dealer warranty only and so, as good as no warranty!
Old 9th July 2010, 19:08   #4448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Also you will find Lowepro and Tamrac stalls with an extensive stock of their camera bags.
shajufx, How are Tamrac bags when compared with Lowepro?

Btw, I too visited the Photo Today around evening today.
Old 9th July 2010, 20:31   #4449
Senior - BHPian

If you are asking about the quality difference, I am not very confident in answering, because I am a die-hard Lowepro fan since 2 years. I just love the Flipside 200 which is on me whenever I step out with the cam, saw the same in their stall today. I have seen some Pros using Flipside 300 that can take a lot of things inside. Tamrac also has a very wide range of bags, supposed to be very good.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:08   #4450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If you are asking about the quality difference, I am not very confident in answering, because I am a die-hard Lowepro fan since 2 years. I just love the Flipside 200 which is on me whenever I step out with the cam, saw the same in their stall today. I have seen some Pros using Flipside 300 that can take a lot of things inside. Tamrac also has a very wide range of bags, supposed to be very good.
I found Tamrac also of good quality but i was impressed with Lowepro Pro Runner 200 AW but yet to decide on it
Old 10th July 2010, 12:26   #4451
Senior - BHPian

What does an 18-55is canon efs cost in blr?

Also, I know lenses purchased from authorised retailers abroad(Thai,S'pore etc) carry a 1+1 warranty, 1 year international and additional 1 year in country of purchase.

Thanks
Old 10th July 2010, 19:38   #4452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Congrats Shyam.
The talk about moving to a new place has been going on for ages. I heard the same when I bought my cam this Jan.
Hi All,

FYI, Jayesh - Foto Circle moved to new address. His new card reads the following address,

# G7,8,9, Brigade Plaza, S.C. Road,
Near Anandrao Circle, Bangalore
Tel: 22874356, 22872572

Today I went to his shop (old) to buy a camera bag, but then redirected to the new place. Good and spacious one it is.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:30   #4453
BHPian

Impressive pricing on some of the stuff in Photo Today. Canon 1000D available for 22k. I met Jayesh in the evening, his new place is still being setup and is pretty good. I think, canon stuff will get a little expensive (yet cheaper than other places, like he quoted 21k for 1000D) at his place because there is a canon pro zone that is going to be there.

By the way, has anyone brought stuff from Shetala cameras online? If yes, kindly let me know the reviews. There's a price screw up on their site and I am going to be buying something that is going to be equal the price of the same on bhphotovideo (including shipping) . Infact I visited them at photo today and asked for it, that guy (Vivek) made all kinds of excuses about how they messed the price on site and finally was ready to give it at that price, but then when I mentioned Canon mount, he got a chance and said no stock for that one :(.

BTW, guys, if you plan to visit Photo Today tomorrow, do carry cash, no cards at any of the counters.
Old 11th July 2010, 00:26   #4454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
BTW, guys, if you plan to visit Photo Today tomorrow, do carry cash, no cards at any of the counters.
Thanks for the info man. I am planning to pick up a camera bag. How are the prices compared to outside? Any discounts or offers?
Old 11th July 2010, 14:03   #4455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks for the info man. I am planning to pick up a camera bag. How are the prices compared to outside? Any discounts or offers?
I was keen on buying a bag there but before going there i had taken prices from Jayesh and jjmehta.com. They offer you 20% off on MRP on Tamrac Bags and Rs .500 off Lowepro Bags. But on You can get at much lower prices at Jayesh & jjmehta.com. I suggest you to checkout all the models there and buy the same at Jayesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks