Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 10:23   #12391
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
Could be little off-topic as this post is not regarding DSLR, but film SLR . Recently I have got my hand on a SLR - Pentax ME Super with 50mm f/1.7 Asahi lens. Got couple of 400 ASA film and started shooting. Soon I would need to develop the films, So wanted to know any shop in Bangalore who develop films (Koramangala, Indiranagar, MG Road area would be preferable)? Also the camera was lying around unused for 20 years and needs to be cleaned (battery I replaced and mechanical part seems working fine); through view-finder you can see a lot debris/particles which are not on mirror, but between a glass pane and prism. So any shop who still does SLR services within reasonable cost and expertise?

Thanks,
In general unless the shutter is metal, cloth shutters need to be excercised regularly, else they become slow. So first thing you do with an old camera is to
. Open the back and blow all the dust out
. Exercise the shutter by repeated wind-shoot sequence at least 10 times for each speed.
. Next get a B/W film and shoot a roll at all speeds, adjusting the aperture. Get it developed and check the exposures. If the shutter is slow most of the shots will be over exposed. In that case you exercise the shutter for a couple of hundred shots and then check again.

Once you are reasonably sure that the shutter speeds are what you have dialed, have fun shooting.

It is advisable to use an external meter for getting correct exposures. In case you have an old DSLR that can act as a meter.
Old 20th December 2013, 19:49   #12392
Senior - BHPian

I had to video shoot an indoor program last week. I did it for the first time and used a 550D. I was totally unaware of the settings.

I found 50mm focus better and shot using a tripod. Have seen others shooting AF while moving but for me, it didn't focus well. I had to shoot using MF restricting me to move around.

Did I miss something? Experts, please let me know.
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:04   #12393
BHPian

Friends!

Photography is a slow poison and keeps sucking more INVESTMENTS every few months. As I take my gear out frequently one thing I am constantly worried is theft and accidental damage during outdoors.

Question are there any insurance companies who offer insurance for the Photo equipment for Hobbyists.

The reason I stress on Hobbyists is b'cos, my understanding is that for the professionals, they can always write this off in their income tax and can insure it also under the name of a commercial establishment, but for salaried and hobbyists like most of us what is the recourse to insurance.
Old 24th December 2013, 10:43   #12394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
@trammway, look at 24-105 f4 instead of the 24-70, much sharper and a beautiful video/still lens.
Yes, this lens is always in my radar but I'm bit confused as well.

The 24-70 L f/2.8 is a heavy and high speed low light lens compared to 24-105 IS f/4 that comes with longer range, light weight, image stabilizer.

I don't have canon 5d Mkiii that has better focus and higher ISO to compensate the low light capabilities of f/2.8 otherwise I would live to carry the 24-105. Do you guys know if the IS in this lens can add value to the speed compensation?
Old 24th December 2013, 11:01   #12395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I don't have canon 5d Mkiii that has better focus and higher ISO to compensate the low light capabilities of f/2.8 otherwise I would live to carry the 24-105. Do you guys know if the IS in this lens can add value to the speed compensation?
I dont know much about cameras and lenses but I am willing to bet that you do not need the level of IQ for video that you need for stills.

What you need however is the ability to keep focus on the subject (I have seen some pros with those big video cameras do this manually) and hence I would consider the 18-135 STM lens. Which body do you have (because most of these STM lenses work only on crop sensors)?
Old 24th December 2013, 11:04   #12396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I dont know much about cameras and lenses but I am willing to bet that you do not need the level of IQ for video that you need for stills. What you need however is the ability to keep focus on the subject (I have seen some pros with those big video cameras do this manually) and hence I would consider the 18-135 STM lens. Which body do you have (because most of these STM lenses work only on crop sensors)?
I own canon 5d Mkii full frame, hence it is ruled out.

If you browse few pages above you could see the rest of my kit bag
Old 24th December 2013, 15:05   #12397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In general unless the shutter is metal, cloth shutters need to be excercised regularly, else they become slow.
===============
It is advisable to use an external meter for getting correct exposures. In case you have an old DSLR that can act as a meter.
Thanks for the tips. I have done at least 50 wind-shoot sequence before I popped in the film. Though I did not have any B/W film, so put a color one. Pentax ME Super has inbuilt light meter (center weighted) to select the shutter speed accordingly; so that part is covered. And have to see if photos are over exposed or not after I develop the film.

Only thing is I need someone who have seen this type of cam and ready to clean some internal part of it. Heard some shop in MG road Bangalore still does that, have to look for it now.
Old 28th December 2013, 11:13   #12398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I own canon 5d Mkii full frame, hence it is ruled out.
If you browse few pages above you could see the rest of my kit bag
Trammway, I did try to browse but your post must be lost in all the options.

I don't know if Canon will ever get a STM for full frame bodies (the 40mm prime I believe might be useable on full frame). Given that you have a 17-40 and a 300 the 24-105 would fill in nicely. Another option could be the very expensive but very wide range 28-300. For video having a longer range is nice thing to have. Ultra sharp optics are not as essential as the eye has to process some 30 fps.
Old 28th December 2013, 11:26   #12399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Trammway, I did try to browse but your post must be lost in all the options. I don't know if Canon will ever get a STM for full frame bodies (the 40mm prime I believe might be useable on full frame). Given that you have a 17-40 and a 300 the 24-105 would fill in nicely. Another option could be the very expensive but very wide range 28-300. For video having a longer range is nice thing to have. Ultra sharp optics are not as essential as the eye has to process some 30 fps.
Agree on the 24-105 just ordering it right now.

I'm not find of 28-300 as the more zoom the more air suction in the barrel And result of dust going inside the lens so not favoring that idea.

I agree with the sharp lens concept but idea of using SLR for video is to get the full frame option at low cost and also use it for photography purposes. Having said that no point too many lenses but sharp lenses for both video and photo.

In now considering Rokinon 35mm cine lens in the kit as well. I believe the zoom in/out in my documentary is close to nil
Old 28th December 2013, 11:50   #12400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
What are the main pros if we go for a Full frame over APS-C?

So, should I go for D800e or should I buy one from D7200, D300 and EOS-7D?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The main advantage of a full frame over an APSC is a better ISO performance thanks to a better sensor. See if really want to put in the cash to go FF way. In my opinion you may not require if you are a hobbyist photographer. However that is for you to decide; when you really a hit the limitation of an APSC body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thanks. In my case, the money spend will be equal either way.
I am a hobbyist photographer, but I love shooting in low light situations.
So, if I am getting both full frame and APS-C at same price point, I gather it is good to go for Full frame?
I am not in touch with the Nikon system since I moved to Canon but the concepts are the same.

If your FF kit will cost the same as an APS-C kit (body, lenses etc..) and have the same capability (focal length, aperture etc...) then by all means go full frame. Most FF bodies are built better than the base APS-C bodies.

However there are still a few small advantages of a APS-C body over FF.
  • APS-C bodies are lighter and a bit smaller
  • If you are using a telephoto the same lens will give you longer reach on the APS-C body (there are APS-C specific wide angles)

Again I don't know much about the Nikon system (I assume the same applies) but Canon has betting a lot on the APS-C system in the new 70D (probably the SLR with the best video capability) and the 100D (probably the smallest SLR with an optical viewfinder) and the STM lenses.

In the end make the application the need (we all want the moon).
  1. What do you shoot?
  2. Which lens (or lenses) are best suited for what you shoot?
  3. Which body do these lenses need?

If for example you like low light then anything slower than f/4 or even f/2.8 can be eliminated. Remember with modern DSLRs you can drop shutter to 1/30 or even 1/15 (with IS/VR). So if you could shoot sat 1/60 with a 50mm prime, with today's VR/IS systems you will be able to push that to 1/15 with the same prime. So once you 4x your shutter time you can 1/4x the aperture thereby either giving you many options of DOF (with a fast lens) or allowing a slower lens to still take a clear shot.

Additionally today (with DSLRs) we can push the ISO to say 800 or even 1600 with limited grain.
Old 29th December 2013, 00:51   #12401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree on the 24-105 just ordering it right now.

I'm not find of 28-300 as the more zoom the more air suction in the barrel And result of dust going inside the lens so not favoring that idea.

I agree with the sharp lens concept but idea of using SLR for video is to get the full frame option at low cost and also use it for photography purposes. Having said that no point too many lenses but sharp lenses for both video and photo.

In now considering Rokinon 35mm cine lens in the kit as well. I believe the zoom in/out in my documentary is close to nil
Did you order yet? Anish George from video links has listed this at 43k now for this lens.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Last edited by govigov : 29th December 2013 at 00:55. Reason: add url
Old 29th December 2013, 02:06   #12402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Did you order yet? Anish George from video links has listed this at 43k now for this lens. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Appreciated, I'm getting one removed from kit (brand new) for $650 that is lower than the listed used one. Just that I'm getting advantage of being in the states
Old 29th December 2013, 10:39   #12403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Appreciated, I'm getting one removed from kit (brand new) for $650 that is lower than the listed used one. Just that I'm getting advantage of being in the states
Opps my mistake, videolinks got the same kit lens brand new with 2 years warranty. Since I have already placed my order here(non-returnable) I will live with it for now.

Anyway great reference, I have few more things to buy and will get in touch with videolinks.

Thank you.
Old 30th December 2013, 13:35   #12404
BHPian

Bhpians,

Need advice on purchasing "Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC" lens for my canon 550d.

requirement is for basic shoot and some pics on holidays(don't want to carry the entire kit along with the lenses)

Couple of questions in mind:
Do you suggest the lens?
Any draw backs?
Old 30th December 2013, 13:57   #12405
Senior - BHPian

Optic quality may not be as good as a similar Canon lens. On the plus side it may be significantly cheaper. Check the price of a similar Canon lens and go for Canon if you can afford it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks