Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 21:42   #12361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

Thanks. In my case, the money spend will be equal either way.

I am a hobbyist photographer, but I love shooting in low light situations.

So, if I am getting both full frame and APS-C at same price point, I gather it is good to go for Full frame?

--Anoop
To add, FF lens cost a bomb compared to the consumer lens. Account for that too. I would say get a aps_c instead of the fool's frame body. Go ff only if you are in genuine need of it.
Old 14th December 2013, 10:51   #12362
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

D800E is an amazing camera. If you acquire it, you will have to spend quite a sum of money in getting lenses that will do the camera justice. Another cause for concern is the computing power required to process the 36MB files and the storage requirement.
Old 14th December 2013, 11:11   #12363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

So if you want to use different lenses and don't want to spend a fortune on it, it would make sense to stick to the two big brands in the camera industry.
well, you are both right and wrong imo. My journey was like this:
Choice 1: mirrorless - rejected because my hands are big, hate the evf, poor availability of good lenses
Choice 2: Sony - rejected because even Sonydealers were clueless, was scared about after sales
Choice 3: Canon - rejected because of poor backwards compatibility, poor perceived build
Choice 4: Nikon - accepted as I loved the feel of the d90, loved the fact that there were older lenses available

I was really keen on the Sony because even the alpha mount accepts older minolta and konica lenses. So it is not just Nikon. I would urge caution when it comes to mirrorless unless you have money to invest. And though it is the way to the future, the current set of mirrorless cameras is not ideal for everyone. The best thing to do is to walk about various stores and pick and feel the camera one wants to buy. If you leave out the money part, there is nothing wrong with any of the camera brands, technically speaking. However, there is a particular type of camera, a car and a life partner for everyone.
Old 14th December 2013, 11:56   #12364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
If you leave out the money part, there is nothing wrong with any of the camera brands, technically speaking. However, there is a particular type of camera, a car and a life partner for everyone.
Well said. Some weks ago my son was lookig for a nicer camera than a P&S. The choice came down to Sony's NEX 6 and Canon 100D (SL1). He prefered the feel of the larger Canon.
Old 14th December 2013, 12:56   #12365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I believe as on today the prosumer full frame dslr got better outcome compare to the similar scale video camera, hence lot of value for money. When I developed my idea of documentary, it was always Canon XL series camcorder but then. I've done quite a lot of investigation to over come some of the shortfalls using the Atomos Ninja-2, canon developed their firmware on 5D Mark III in association with Atomos, however similar features were achieved in Mark II by having MagicLantern firmware and that's why my camera got updated with MagicLantern firmware. Obviously the physical limitation between these two models needed to be compensated by techniques and work around. The Ninja brings options to record directly on a SSD or HDD hence in a single storage of $100 or less drive for 5 hours of shooting with fullHD global broadcast ready prores codec, is it not exciting ? Mod: please merge the last 3 post to DSLR video thread if required
Here is what I ended up for my kit

Camera & Light source
==============

Canon 5D Mark II (loaded magic lantern)
Canon Speedlite 550EX (not for this video project)

Optics
====
Canon 17-40mm L F/4 USM
Canon EF 85mm L F/1.2 II USM
Canon EF 300mm L IS F/4 USM
B+W KSM Circular Polarizer filter 77mm
Hoya HMC (0) UV filter 77mm

Storage
=====
SanDisk - Extreme 32GB CompactFlash (Camera's internal storage for Photographs)
SanDisk - Ultra 64GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Card with SD card adapter (TASCAM sound tracks will be stored in this disk)
SanDisk 240GB Extreme® II Solid State Drive (Ninja-2 action shots will be recorded in SSD as to avoid moving parts in HDD creating problems)

Rig
==
Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG
Kamerar Camera Slider with Wheels
Photography & Cinema Pico Dolly with articulating arm
Benro A1580F tripod and Beike BK-03 Tripod Ball Head KS-0
Benro A38FBS2 Video Monopod with Flip Lock Legs, S2 Head and 3 Leg Base
Cinematics DSLR Pro Mattebox 4x4 15mm rod system
Kamerar TK-2 tank video cage
Kamerar FF-3 follow focus
Dual suction cup lifter (will be converted to have ball head mount)

Audio & Video field recorders
=================
TASCAM DR-60D field recorder
Rode NTG-3 shortgun microphone
Pearstone camera mount for microphone
Rode dead cat wind protection
Atomos Ninja-2 (Finally order placed, with MagicLantern firmware the Canon 5D MarkII could result the capture at 1622 x 912 resolution with 422 quality )
Pioneer SE-MJ591 stereo headphone - monitoring the audio
Mini HDMI to HDMI 1.4 coiled cable (connecting the camera to Ninja-2)
3.5mm to 3.5mm cable x 2 nos. (for camera output and to Ninja-2 input for TASCAM DR-60D)
Mogami silver series 3ft XLR-M to XLR-F cable (Rode NTG-3 to TASCAM DR-60D)

Misc.
===
Canon LP-E6 battery x 3 nos.
Atomos ATOMBAT001 battery
Lots of AA & AAA batteries (Flash, Remotes etc.)
Excellent tool box that is now getting converted to kit box to store all my gear

Wish list:
Zeiss or Canon EF 50MM F/1.4
Canon EF 24-70mm L F/2.8 - I'm also hearing that 24-105 L F/4 is better choice for full frame, need to check.
Glidecam hd 4000 steadycam with stabilizer vest
Sennheiser EW100 / SK100 Wireless Microphone Sender/Receiver - Suggest me what frequencies are accepted in India and any particular model to look.
Few 2.5" HDD with 7500 RPM for regular not so moving shots (capacity will vary)
Microphone Blimp, Boom & XLR cable
Lavalier Microphone (secondary)
Glidecam Camcrane (will be taken on rental for the shooting day)
Few LED video lights with filters
4x4 mattbox ND-2, 6 & 8 and polarizer filter
LanParte V-Mount BP Power Supply Adapter + LPT 14.8V 10.1Ah 150Wh Li-ion Battery
Old 14th December 2013, 19:28   #12366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks. In my case, the money spend will be equal either way.

I am a hobbyist photographer, but I love shooting in low light situations.

So, if I am getting both full frame and APS-C at same price point, I gather it is good to go for Full frame?

--Anoop
The two key advantages are better low light performance and shallower depth of field. The total cost of a FF system is the main disadvantage. But if you don't need long reach then the cost differential might not be that much.

Please let me know from where I can buy the D7200
Old 14th December 2013, 22:28   #12367
Senior - BHPian

What is the best camera that has the following:

1. Nikon
2. Has auto focus motor built into the body
3. Can take all manual lenses
4. Has a preview on the LCD
?
Old 15th December 2013, 00:48   #12368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
To add, FF lens cost a bomb compared to the consumer lens. Account for that too. I would say get a aps_c instead of the fool's frame body. Go ff only if you are in genuine need of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
D800E is an amazing camera. If you acquire it, you will have to spend quite a sum of money in getting lenses that will do the camera justice. Another cause for concern is the computing power required to process the 36MB files and the storage requirement.
Thanks sachin and Aroy - I plan to buy a 24 MM prime and a 200 or 300 telephoto (not decided on what lens yet, only have a general idea as of now). I need to find if I can afford to buy the two lens I want in 50K budget. Can we use APS-C lense with FF camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The two key advantages are better low light performance and shallower depth of field. The total cost of a FF system is the main disadvantage. But if you don't need long reach then the cost differential might not be that much.

Please let me know from where I can buy the D7200
Nilanjan: Oops, D7100

In my case, the cost disadvantage is almost offset - I am really tempted to pick up the D800. I would love to have a 55-200 or 70-300 lens - need to finalize the model and work on the budget. My total budget for a prime and a telephoto is 50K.

--Anoop
Old 15th December 2013, 07:50   #12369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks sachin and Aroy - I plan to buy a 24 MM prime and a 200 or 300 telephoto (not decided on what lens yet, only have a general idea as of now). I need to find if I can afford to buy the two lens I want in 50K budget. Can we use APS-C lense with FF camera?

Nilanjan: Oops, D7100

In my case, the cost disadvantage is almost offset - I am really tempted to pick up the D800. I would love to have a 55-200 or 70-300 lens - need to finalize the model and work on the budget. My total budget for a prime and a telephoto is 50K.

--Anoop
You can use an aps-c lens on ff and vice versa as long as the mounts are same. But it would serve no purpose using a aps-c lens on ff body as you will not be using the complete sensor area. I suggest you read about the sensor sizes a bit to get an understanding about ff and.aps-c
Old 15th December 2013, 13:01   #12370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case, the cost disadvantage is almost offset - I am really tempted to pick up the D800. I
--Anoop
Why don't you go for a D610 and 300mm f/4 for instance?
Old 15th December 2013, 21:47   #12371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
You can use an aps-c lens on ff and vice versa as long as the mounts are same. But it would serve no purpose using a aps-c lens on ff body as you will not be using the complete sensor area. I suggest you read about the sensor sizes a bit to get an understanding about ff and.aps-c
thanks bro - that is exactly what I am doing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Why don't you go for a D610 and 300mm f/4 for instance?
Simple - D610 will over shoot my budget

I am getting a mint condition pre worshipped D800 at a slightly lesser price point than the retail price of a D300.

--Anoop
Old 16th December 2013, 10:45   #12372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
What is the best camera that has the following:

1. Nikon
2. Has auto focus motor built into the body
3. Can take all manual lenses
4. Has a preview on the LCD
?
Best depends on what you want.
. If you want High MP then D800 (36MP) is the best. Price around $3,000/.
. If you want reasonable price then D610 (24MP) will do. Price around @2,000/
. If you want full compatibility will manual lenses then there is the new DF (16MP). Price around $2,700/. The Indian prices are similar.

For preview in the LCD you have to use the "Live View" feature.

The above cameras will give you full "Matrix" metering with manual lenses, while most of the others will not. You can only use "Aperture Priority" or manual modes with manual lenses.

I would not go in for cameras with the DX sensor because as the sensor prices drop, the difference between FX and DX is narrowing down and FX will always give better noise (and ISO) figures; for the same technology; compared to DX due to a larger sensor area.

Last edited by Aroy : 16th December 2013 at 10:46.
Old 16th December 2013, 11:01   #12373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Best depends on what you want.
. If you want High MP then D800 (36MP) is the best. Price around $3,000/.
. If you want reasonable price then D610 (24MP) will do. Price around @2,000/
. If you want full compatibility will manual lenses then there is the new DF (16MP). Price around $2,700/. The Indian prices are similar.

For preview in the LCD you have to use the "Live View" feature.

The above cameras will give you full "Matrix" metering with manual lenses, while most of the others will not. You can only use "Aperture Priority" or manual modes with manual lenses.

I would not go in for cameras with the DX sensor because as the sensor prices drop, the difference between FX and DX is narrowing down and FX will always give better noise (and ISO) figures; for the same technology; compared to DX due to a larger sensor area.
If you want a camera for vacation shoots, family photos and occasionally for wildlife life and landscape trust me those huge D800 files are an over kill. A DX D7100 makes so much more sense and easy task use and carry. Even a D610 is too much camera.
Old 16th December 2013, 11:06   #12374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
If you want a camera for vacation shoots, family photos and occasionally for wildlife life and landscape trust me those huge D800 files are an over kill. A DX D7100 makes so much more sense and easy task use and carry. Even a D610 is too much camera.
Nope. D610, D7100, or the DSLRs are overkill.
Get a decent 24-200/300 range 1" or 1/1.7" large sensor compact.
Best tool for the job.
Old 16th December 2013, 11:14   #12375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nope. D610, D7100, or the DSLRs are overkill.
Get a decent 24-200/300 range 1" or 1/1.7" large sensor compact.
Best tool for the job.
Would tend to agree for most part. However, this will take a beating if the light is very low. Also the short and telephoto end will be incredibly soft. An APSC size mirror-less might do the trick. Lens - mount via adapter. Again assumption is that the shooter is interested in casual shooting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks