Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:56   #3721
BHPian

Posting snaps taken earlier with: without filters, with CPL_Hoya and with UV_Marumi
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-no_filters.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-cpl_hoya.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-uv.jpg  

Old 22nd April 2010, 14:57   #3722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Where exactly is RK? I mean the shop location?
Jaguar, i'm told very close to Foto Circle @ Balepet, few kms distance between the 2 shops. RK shop is in Gandhinagar area. Complete address here: Photographic Equipments Distributors India,Professional Photographic Equipment Dealer,Digital Photography Equipments,Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Ajay, I find Naresh (RK) to be more flexible in the final bargain, I can say that since I have paid 30k to Jayesh and now 22.5k to Naresh all within a 40 days time. Its a highly competitive field right now, so everyone is trying to push each other to survive.

I would prefer RK anyday from now, you get to have some personal discussion with him about the field, sitting relaxed in the AC and attended by 3 other staff, than standing in the middle of the road in the scorching heat pushed back by a crowd each time you try to speak to the shop owner, a waiting which can even kill your spirit to buy something, not even getting a 50 bucks rounding at the end of the deal. Just sharing what I felt in the atmost sincerity. You can feel it yourself and report back.
Yeah Shaju, point noted. Unni and I will be visiting Naresh and Jayesh and decide on spot depending on whose offer is better (with B&W) on that day. Naresh's after sales support are also talked of, in BPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. I have not compared the 550D output to a good camcorder (my wife uses a Canon HF10 for video). I dont know if the 550D HD video is AVCHD or not but if it is remember that to convert AVCHD to HD DVD you need some serious muscle in your PC and some good software (Pinnacle, Ulead, etc..

2. I will ask my friend. Currently he is travelling. He was stuck in Germany with the recent volcano and has not gotten back yet.

3. IQ of the 550D will not almost indistingusihable from the 40D under practical circumstances. Where the 40D scores is in handling (speed of response, weight of body to weight of lens esp if you use bigger lenses, etc.). I dont know if the 550D has a metal mount and how much metal the body has.

I am sure the limiting factor for the IQ is neither camera (canon, nikon, 5550D, 40D, Hassie, Mamiya etc..) but the monkey holding it (with apologies to Rudra-da).
Navin, the price for EOS 1000D with 18-55 IS lens is 25K+ per Jayesh of FotoCircle [the + varies from about 250 to 500 rupees at max]. And his best price for 55-250IS as of yesterday remains 12K.

I'm not aware of the video format of 550D, but I'll keep your note in mind before attempting to capture any video.

Also, 40D is not available as a legit purchase (with B&W) anymore, with either Naresh or Jayesh. I won't prefer to plonk 37K on a camera without b&w. So it will be the 550D then. Jayesh also quoted a 25K+ for a 40D body with IS lens, but I think that's a used sample.

Quote:
Is RK = Naresh? How are Naresh's prices compared to Jayesh?
RK photoguide is Naresh's shop, yes. Prices are very close to Jayesh's and Shaju has posted prices [as of yesterday] which seem similar to Jayesh's. Cut throat competition; I hope we stand to gain out of that.

Btw, RK photoguide has a website, I just found out today.
Link: Photographic Equipments Distributors India,Professional Photographic Equipment Dealer,Digital Photography Equipments,Bangalore
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:23   #3723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Where exactly is RK? I mean the shop location?
Its near SukhSagar open parking area, Majestic. Address is Tajmahal Hotel Building, 5th Main, Gandhinagar. You will find a big Nikon board outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
Use a lens hood for lens protection. It's better than a UV/CPL filter in this respect as it is cheaper and does not affect image wuality. Also, lens flares get cut off
Majority of the lenses come with its own hood too, but that will not protect a lens from dust and dirt. Constant wiping of dust can create scratch marks on the lens glass, so better risk a filter.

Quote:
Ouch. I have compared Marumi to Hoya and have not been happy with Marumi. If you have friends visiting the US ask them to get a thin mount set (UV and warming) from Hoya or B+W. For a polarisier Hoya makes a HD version that is better.
Is RK = Naresh? How are Naresh's prices compared to Jayesh?
When it comes to just the basic UV filters, I think brands may not make much of a difference, because basic purpose is protection from dust. If one is more serious about the quality, then we have B+W which I think is the most expensive and then Hoya, both of which are not easily available at every shop that sells cameras. CPL, I think I might get one to be in the bag (72mm with a 67mm slik convertor so that I can use it on my 18-50 and 70-300 as required), to be swapped with the UV filter while trying some landscape or bright reflecting light situations etc.

RK is Naresh, prices are almost same, hardly any difference. I find Naresh more friendly to deal with. Just a personal feel as I have already dealt with both of them.

Now coming to the Rudra da's assignment to me:
I tried testing the lens with and without UV filter at F/2.8, 4, 7.1, 9, 16. I couldnt find any difference throughout the range on close observation of the pics part by part. Just posting what I had tested to get an idea.

Camera D60, Lens Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Manual focus, Aperture Priority, all shots from a fixed tripod position.
The DSLR Thread-uvtest.jpg

Rudra da, let me know if you have some small works like fixing the aluminium sheets on a panel, cleaning the kits, carrying the bags etc. I like to start from the scratch. Seriously. There is nothing equal to the ancient 'Guru Shishya' style of learning.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:35   #3724
Team-BHP Support

Why would you put UV filter in front of lens. In case of ND, Polarizer etc, its understood, because such a filter will actually change your image, but in case of UV filter, its like buying an expensive high quality lens, and then shooting through a window pane(I know bad analogy, but you get my drift)
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:41   #3725
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, I am not sure if you want me to laugh or cry !!!

Good or bad, my purpose is only to protect it from dust. Infact I was carrying around my 70-300 VR without a filter for over a month. When we went to Ranganathittu and met a professional (Dr.Venkat), first thing he asked me why I am carrying my lens without a filter. He explained it in such a way that I am doing some serious crime without having a filter !!! So, I didnt want to go against the 'Guru' type advises and later feel sorry.

On a routine google checking, I found UV is the perfect one for basic protection. Other filters for special effects. So, I am just going with the crowd, hope I explained it properly.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:13   #3726
Team-BHP Support

Actually the filter attaches to the front of the lens. So only protection it offers is that if you are shooting against a duststorm, no dust particles will hit the front glass.
As for dust inside lens, it usually goes in from the zooming mechanism. There is no protection for that.
So for storage and while walking around you can attach filter to protect against dust hitting front element, but while shooting take it off.
alternatively, if you want to protect lens from minor falls(eg lens falls face down on a table), use a Lens hood
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:59   #3727
Senior - BHPian

Important:: Group purchase meet on 24.04.

To the bangalore group purchase members,

[Unni, Hurrycane, Lazy, Ash_Blore, Wagenix],

Unni and I will be waiting a little close to Jayesh's shop, for the rest of you. Please kindly make it on time so we can bargain, pickup and conclude the purchase at the earliest. This is for those who are purchasing on 24.04.

If you don't want to make the purchase on 24.04, contact me or Unni before you visit Jayesh/Naresh [RK photo] before you purchase. IF we get any group deal benefit, we'll 'try' our best to reserve that for you on another [closest] day. [I will be making my personal purchase on 01.05, so anyone not buying on 24.04 is welcome to join me on 01.05]

Jayesh Mehta - Foto Circle [shop] address:
# 2, K.V. TEMPLE STREET,
S.S.K. SANGHA BUILDING NEAR BALEPET CIRCLE.
Tel : +91-080-22874356/22872572
Mobile : +91-9845022654

Also note:
Naresh Raheja - RK Photoguide [shop] address:
# 11, Tajmahal Hotel Building, 5th Main Gandhinagar.
Phone: 91-80-41139000/ 91-080-22350586.

Our idea is to bargain hard with Jayesh and Naresh and finally buy from one that offers the best deal, with B&W. This may have us move between the 2 shops [not too far away from each other] but it ultimately may help save some bucks or get some freebie[s].

Confirmed buyers
Hurrycane12 EOS 1000D
Unni.ak EOS 500D
Lazy EOS 550D
Ajay K EOS 550D
Ash Blore DSLR <= 30K
MohanG DSLR <= 30K
Wagenix EOS 500D

My number: +919740084320
Unni's number: +919900922336

See you then.
aK
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:41   #3728
BHPian

I brought a 1000D a month ago (Kit IS + 70-300MM) and was now wondering: The PowerShot SX1 IS does almost everything my DSLR does + has a top end zoom of 560MM. Has a DIGIC 4 processor (best canon has) with in built lens IS, also shoots RAW, and basically about everything.
Why should one get an DSLR then? Apart from the high end applications like Rudraji, & interchangable lens, I think this camera should suffice for generally everything else.

Experts please shed some light so that I can justify my expence to myself :P
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:18   #3729
BHPian

Rate of Tax / VAT on Digital Cameras is 13.5% w.e.f 01-04-2010

-Harshavardhan
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:02   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_sweat View Post
I brought a 1000D a month ago (Kit IS + 70-300MM) and was now wondering: The PowerShot SX1 IS does almost everything my DSLR does + has a top end zoom of 560MM. Has a DIGIC 4 processor (best canon has) with in built lens IS, also shoots RAW, and basically about everything.
Why should one get an DSLR then? Apart from the high end applications like Rudraji, & interchangable lens, I think this camera should suffice for generally everything else.

Experts please shed some light so that I can justify my expence to myself :P
Hello, Well please go through this article. Digital Camera Sensor Sizes: How it Influences Your Photography this should give you sufficient amount of idea why a DSLR will give you better picture quality compared to what the compact/pseudoSLR's will give you. Since ultimately the photograph is created at the sensor hence the size does matter and so does the quality. The bigger the size of the sensor the better the resolution and details. Once you go through that article you'd see that it wasn't a bad choice which you made by buying a DSLR.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Anirban.
Old 23rd April 2010, 03:10   #3731
Senior - BHPian

went to cam shop today. offical canon dealers. 55-250 IS is going for 10500. with warranty from canon.
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:27   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
55-250 IS is going for 10500. with warranty from canon.
Yes, Canon India has reduced prices few weeks back. Official price for 55-250 IS has reduced from 14,995 to 12,275 & price for 50 f/1.8 (nifty fifty) has reduced from 6,595 to 5,595.
Disclaimer: I am not associated with Canon or any of their dealer(s)/distributor(s).
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:03   #3733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
went to cam shop today. offical canon dealers. 55-250 IS is going for 10500. with warranty from canon.
Could you please share the details as to where you found this deal? I might be interested. Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:27   #3734
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
then we have B+W which I think is the most expensive and then Hoya, both of which are not easily available at every shop that sells cameras.

There is nothing equal to the ancient 'Guru Shishya' style of learning.
B+W I got from BH Photo Video.

I agree. 15 min with Rudra > reading Ansel Adams 3 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So only protection it offers is that if you are shooting against a duststorm,
or small children or at a party where people get boisterous.
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:29   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

To the bangalore group purchase members,

[Unni, Hurrycane, Lazy, Ash_Blore, Wagenix],

eeeeks.....this is what i feared.
saw your price list....D90 at 34K (shld be body only)....seems verry tempting. Let me find out how much with the 18-105 kit. even if its a little over 550D, will go it...its a much better cam to hold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks