Team-BHP - The DSLR Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The DSLR Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/11582-dslr-thread-26.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 1135148)
In 25000, you won't get a camera + lens to do wildlife. Better go with an ultra zoom point and shoot.

I second this. Maybe you can go for the P80 or the Canon SX110IS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 (Post 1135158)
What are the options available with me?

I would suggest you go in for the Nikon D40 and get a cheap tamron 70-300. But what would happen then is you will start loving the camera and photography in general, and then you would regret not getting a better body. I suggest you get a Canon 450D first, you can get that with kit lens for about 30,000~32,000 Rupees with the 18-55 kit lens, then wait for a couple of months (use the camera ofcourse, you can even borrow lenses from friends) and then eventually get a nice tele lens for your wildlife escapades.

Trust me every penny would be worth it, you *CANNOT* compare the picture quality (please dont talk megapixels) with point and shoots, and the 450D has live view as well (which allows you to see what you are shooting on the LCD like normal POS cams) so anyone can use it, you can even use it for normal family photos as well.

Bump up your budget and get a 450D!

^^D40+ tamron 70-300 means no autofocus. Not really much fun to shoot wildlife without autofocus. By the time you are done manual focussing, the subject would have moved.

Ok guys me picked up Canon 450D over the weekend, helped by a dear ol friend ;) with a 2GB card. Now slowly going through the intricacies of DSLR while stepping into the world of D Photography :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1135583)
Ok guys me picked up Canon 450D over the weekend, helped by a dear ol friend ;) with a 2GB card. Now slowly going through the intricacies of DSLR while stepping into the world of D Photography :D

Congratulations Jaggu! What lens did you go for?

Quote:

Congrats Jaggu ... Happy clicking. Planning to pick up a 450D too. From your smiley, I guess I can safely assume that your dear ol friend got it for you at an awesome cost :)

Quote:

Congrats Jaggu! Do let us know how you are finding the cam. I'm planning to take one next month! :)

thanks guys.

@amitoj: i am an absolute beginner so starting up with just the kit lens for now. Upgrade will be after some time once i get used to DSLR :) Just added a hood for the lens thats all.

@Rufroc: cost is same as quoted here, but i went with his judgment for the reliability factor.

@saleem: Yup will update, planning to have my first venture coming weekend, lets see how it goes.

Congrats Jaggu, Welcome to the club.

Read the manual completely especially with respect to LiveView before using the same.
18-15IS Lens right, let me know how the IS holds up for low-light macro shots.

2GB card? barely enough to hold the pics buddy, get a 8GB HDSC soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa (Post 1135659)
2GB card? barely enough to hold the pics buddy, get a 8GB HDSC soon.

That greatly depends on how many one is shooting in one go. Leave alone the capture size.

Besides, is it a very good idea to keep them on card? Or is it better to shift them on hard disk?

yup 18-55 IS lens, i am not very fond of live view though hooking up the lappy and shooting seemed interesting for me. I wish i had a fully motorized tripod which also can be hooked up :D 2GB will hold 115 RAW shots which is more than enough for my usage for now, good thing i have a hard disc which can be used to transfer the pics in case of emergency. Thanks for reminding i have to hook the disc up also.

Low-light macro shots i tried while holding with hand, difficult but doable (while experimenting around), will check how it behaves with IS "ON" and "OFF", priority is to figure out regular shooting first LOL. Page number 79 of manual and counting, after reading the advanced functions repeatedly, things are becoming clearer in my cloudy head.

For the time being i have limited the shooting to the show pieces at home and my pet dog. Oh yeah experimental night shot of a flyover came out well (using a very crude tripod), need to do some tweaking around with the software and then post up. The problem is i have to work for a living also, so time factor, dang!

One thing i can say, THIS is a very good time pass and an expensive hobby to have lol. Wish list: Bigger lens, bigger screen for post shoot editing. You get the drift :D

Welcome to your first Money Pit Jaggu! I have two money pits, dSLR and the Jeep.

hi guys,
Just got into this world. I bought a D40 with a 18 to 55mm Nikkor lens plus a 55 to 200mm Nikkor VR lens. Pretty entry level setup, I must say, but i guess i will buy a better body later, as time passes and the need arises...

Initial feelings:
Enjoying in experimenting with the controls. At 18mm, the photos are good, but there is a slight distortion around the edges. This actually gives a good effect, but was wondering if you guys have any thoughts about that.

Image stabilization definitely helps a lot at full zoom (200mm). I tried a few with and without, and usually the ones with VR were better. However, i need to experiment more to see where VR is helpful and where it is not.

Indoor photography: Found at f4.5, there is a very narrow depth of field compared to my point and shoot. The same setting on my point and shoot (F4.5) results in a much more wider depth of field.

Will report more as I find out more. Currently looking for a camera case. Any thoughts?

Congratz deep_bang the quality of DSLR is way ahead of point and shoot any day, no comparison there. Do go through the manual as they say, it has loads of info and tips that can come in real handy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep_bang (Post 1135853)
At 18mm, the photos are good, but there is a slight distortion around the edges. This actually gives a good effect, but was wondering if you guys have any thoughts about that.

That's the barrel distortion you're talking about. No, it won't go unless you shift to expensive block lenses.