Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 20:50   #9631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Actually, it can be used on any Nikon body with a built-in focusing motor and those include the D70, D70s and D80 among the discontinued digital bodies.
Yes, only the D90 and D300s are still listed as available in India (albeit in limited quantities, stock clearance only as production has stopped) while the others have been discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
It's a bit like shooting a gun
As for the torque felt its more common with high end DSLRs that have more powerful focus motors. Have experienced it with the lens shifting ever so slightly.
Old 13th April 2012, 21:07   #9632
Distinguished - BHPian

People,
Need suggestions/pointers from you guys.

I have a Canon 1100D which comes with a LC-E10(E) charger. Needless to say, I have lost the charger and unfortunately none of the Canon shops have this available with them in Pune. Minimum waiting period is atleast a week, and I need this urgently.

Any alternative 3rd party chargers available for this camera? Or Pune junta, any camera (accessories) shops that I could try as a last option?
Old 14th April 2012, 20:50   #9633
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

I just wanted to know if the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D from Nikon is compatible with the D3100? Cuz the D3100 supports only AF-S lenses as I have read. So I guess auto focus will not work but will I be able to extract the most of my lens?

Last edited by theragingbull : 14th April 2012 at 20:51.
Old 14th April 2012, 22:19   #9634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Hi folks,

I just wanted to know if the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D from Nikon is compatible with the D3100? Cuz the D3100 supports only AF-S lenses as I have read. So I guess auto focus will not work but will I be able to extract the most of my lens?
This is a very good value for money lens and offers great image quality. Since you can focus only manually be careful whilst focussing especially at max aperture (F/1.8). DoF is very shallow and even the slightest focus errors can impact the image quite significantly. Also, the 50mm 1.8D is a FX lens the effect will be of a mild telephoto equal to about 75mm on a full frame camera.

Cheers!
Old 15th April 2012, 07:56   #9635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull
Hi folks,

I wouldn't buy this if i have an option to get a 50mm with AF. The reason is because you will definitely miss AF feature at times, while using a 50mm lens, at least i want AF to be working in all my lenses. You will find it difficult to focus precisely especially at wider apertures as stated above. This will be easier if you have an EVF through which you can zoom in on a small area of interest to focus perfectly, but will be difficult with an optical view finder. This manual focus 50mm will be a good learning experience anyway.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th April 2012 at 07:59.
Old 15th April 2012, 12:32   #9636
BHPian

It seems like the IX nikkor lenses can be used in micro four thirds cameras using a adaptor! Still there is some hope to use the 20-60mm and 60-180mm lenses that I have!

Nikon IX Nikkor APS lenses can be used on Micro Four Thirds and Sony NEX digital cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
IX type lenses cannot be used on 35mm film or digital bodies. They were specifically made for the Pronea.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:30   #9637
BHPian

Dear experts,

I saw an offer at Newegg for PENTAX K2000 Black 10.2 MP 2.7" 230K LCD Digital SLR Camera w/smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens. The cost in INR is coming to Rs.16500

The DSLR Thread-pentax.jpg

The DSLR Thread-amazon.jpg

I am looking for just an entry level DSLR and was eyeing the Nikon D3100 model. But the Pentax pricing looks much better. I really am a noob in comparing specs and understanding it. Can you experts help to confirm if this deal is worth it?

Thanks for your help
Old 17th April 2012, 13:47   #9638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Dear experts,

I saw an offer at Newegg for PENTAX K2000 Black 10.2 MP 2.7" 230K LCD Digital SLR Camera w/smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens. The cost in INR is coming to Rs.16500

I am looking for just an entry level DSLR and was eyeing the Nikon D3100 model. But the Pentax pricing looks much better. I really am a noob in comparing specs and understanding it. Can you experts help to confirm if this deal is worth it?

Thanks for your help
Hey Gopi, are you sure you want to go for a Refurbished camera?
Personally I would stay away from it. Considering it a refurbished camera, I dont think the pricing is not all that attractive. You might be better off finding a used 3100 in the similar price range.
Old 17th April 2012, 17:35   #9639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #win View Post
Personally I would stay away from it. Considering it a refurbished camera, I dont think the pricing is not all that attractive. You might be better off finding a used 3100 in the similar price range.
#win, Thanks for the advice. In the US, I have seen most refurbished products are the ones that are returned by customers apparently for some reason which does not necessarily mean the product is bad or went through some repair. I have purchased few other items like portable hard drive, car audio unit etc which came for very cheap deals because it is refurbished. But they have been performing absolutely fine since the last 2~3 years.

I am also not buying the item to be shipped to India. I am shipping them to my brother in law who is a resident of the US. He will use it and confirm the camera is ok before he gets it here. If there is an issue, he will return it to the store.

With these factors in mind, I was considering it. The price for the same camera in Amazon is $679. Hence this deal from newegg was tempting. I just wanted to know from a camera performance point of view, is Pentax K2000 a worthy buy. I cannot compare it to nikon 3100 as I see Nikon to be far better with HD video recording capabilities which Pentax does not have. But for a beginner into the DSLR world, I thought the K2000 was good enough.
Old 17th April 2012, 18:43   #9640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why is refurbished that bad? I would rather go for a refurbished camera than a used one, if I have an option.
Old 17th April 2012, 18:52   #9641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Why is refurbished that bad? I would rather go for a refurbished camera than a used one, if I have an option.
I did not mean refurbished is bad, definetely it is better than the used. All i was suggesting was a used 3100 than a K2000 as both fall in a similar price range, considering the features the 3100 offers.

Also if there are any issues with the Pentex it is more difficult to find the spare and get it repaired in India unlike the 3100.

Last edited by #win : 17th April 2012 at 19:12. Reason: additional comments
Old 17th April 2012, 19:27   #9642
BHPian

Quote:
All i was suggesting was a used 3100 than a K2000 as both fall in a similar price range, considering the features the 3100 offers.

Also if there are any issues with the Pentex it is more difficult to find the spare and get it repaired in India unlike the 3100.
#win, Totally agree with you on the warranty part and lack of service centers for Pentax in India. But the price difference between Nikon D3100 and Pentax K2000 is compelling. The cost of D3100 is almost double that of K2000.

The DSLR Thread-amazon.jpg
The DSLR Thread-flipkart.jpg

Is there anybody in the forum who have used K2000 and is happy with the quality of pictures and the ease of handling / setting etc? If experts can confirm the quality of K2000, I am thinking of going ahead with the deal.

Last edited by gopikb : 17th April 2012 at 19:29.
Old 17th April 2012, 20:31   #9643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
But the price difference between Nikon D3100 and Pentax K2000 is compelling. The cost of D3100 is almost double that of K2000.
Not sure if there are people here on TBHP using the K2000. If price is your only driver whilst considering the Nikon then go ahead with the Pentax.

But I believe you should pause to think beyond that factor.

Other than Pentax not having a presence in India remember that DSLRs get outdated quickly. This camera was introduced in Sept 2008 i.e. over 3 1/2 years ago versus Aug 2010 for the Nikon D3100 (over 2 1/2 years ago). According to web reports D3200 is expected to be announced this month.

Also buying a particular brand means buying into that particular 'system' i.e. lenses and other accessories + the support that is available in this country. The only way out is to sell it off and Pentax doesn't command much of a resale value here.

You may also want to consider mirrorless or EVIL cameras like the Sony NEX system.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Old 17th April 2012, 20:40   #9644
BHPian

+1 to what R2D2 said.

Pentax has no official presence here, save for some distributor based out of Kolkata or Delhi, can't remember correctly. So you have zero support from company and no choice of lenses locally available. You will have to order everything online or ask your brother/friends in the US to get them for you.

That said, it is an old camera in technological terms, but it's not much worse than a D3000 or EOS1000D which are discontinued models but still on sale wherever in stock. For 16k it's attractive indeed, but you need to decide on what lenses you need/want , and ask your bro to get them along with it, or later as suitable, Pentax is known for VFM and its prime lenses, with only the 18-55 you'll be left wanting for more , so research the lenses before finalizing the purchase.
Old 17th April 2012, 20:51   #9645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
But I believe you should pause to think beyond that factor.

Other than Pentax not having a presence in India remember that DSLRs get outdated quickly. This camera was introduced in Sept 2008 i.e. over 3 1/2 years ago versus Aug 2010 for the Nikon D3100 (over 2 1/2 years ago). According to web reports D3200 is expected to be announced this month.
R2D2, Very valid points. I was under a severe dilemma whether to buy or not. Based on multiple inputs, I am letting this pass. I will wait for a good deal in D3100

Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks