Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 09:26   #11086

Re: The DSLR Thread

I have been using SB600 for close to 5 years now and have been running on Energizer batteries. Try to get re-chargeable which have a capacity of 2500mAh or more. You can get Sony batteries which are 2100mAh along with the charger from the Sony centers.

If you plan to take too many shots with flash, do get 2 sets so that you can switch when in need.
Old 10th December 2012, 09:37   #11087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Can I use rechargeable batteries with this flash with the same/better performance? Which type of rechargeable batteries would be good? Should I go with a two-cell charger or a four-cell one? Any specific brands which are better?
What type of batteries did you use? They recommend using only Alkaline, Lithium, Oxyride and Ni-MH.

Yes, you can use rechargeable batteries (Ni-MH) in the flash. Use batteries with capacity of over 2000 mAh, preferably 2500 mAh. The best rechargeable batteries are Sanyo Eneloops. 2 or 4 battery charger is your choice. I'd take the 4 unit charger if I were you.
Old 10th December 2012, 10:04   #11088
Senior - BHPian

I think the batteries were the regular AA type batteries (branded Kodak, but I think it's just a branding difference). I get them free with the Kodak 400 film I purchase . I believe these would be the Alkaline type, no?

There are branded Kodak chargers available, another option would be Everedy(sp?). I am not sure I can get the Sanyo ones here.

Regarding the charger, the question is more from the perspective of having two batteries being charged, while another set is on active duty, so a two-cell charger would be ideal?

I also have an old Vivitar flash (283 or something) which I use on my Nikon FE. Good output with a couple of manual settings. I have recently acquired a D40, for which I ordered the SB 400. Now the question is can I use the Vivitar flash with the D40?

Hotshoe attachment is ruled out because the Vivitar unit's voltage will probably screw my D40 (never tried to test, but prudence says I should avoid it). If I were to use a bracket, could I use this flash on the bracket? Will it be safe for the D40?

Recently I saw a photographer at an event use a flashgun (the kind like Metz, with a tilt/swivel flash head and a massive power output). It was mounted using a plate at the bottom of the camera. Are these flashguns from the film camera era, or are there modern, electronic-safe varieties of these guns? What if I screwed up the flashgun to the D40 using a plate? Would that be safe?
Old 10th December 2012, 11:37   #11089
Senior - BHPian

Most of the film era flashes are not recommended for DSLR due to high voltage leaking from the hot shoe. This would fry up the electronics. So you have to find a method of isolating the triggering mechanism, else use it as a slave flash.

If the flash gave up after 40 shots, the batteries must be ordinary ones, not alkaline or other high power batteries. As suggested use high capacity rechargeable batteries. A lot of professionals use compact lead acid batteries strapped in a case to the waist or in a shoulder bag. These can last the whole shooting session.
Old 10th December 2012, 11:58   #11090
Distinguished - BHPian

Ordered for this fast card, finally :-

http://smartshoppers.in/product/sand...class-10-card/

Can someone outline the correct speed this card comes with as the website isnt clear. It says "upto' 30MB/sec reading speed

So what would be the approximate writing speed?
Old 10th December 2012, 12:04   #11091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Before Diwali , I bought the same thing for 789/- on Ebay. My card is actually a Micro SD card of 16GB, which I use in the camera with it's adapter.
Due to increased storage , now I am clicking the picture in Max quality , the single photo size is now running into 6-7mb

Edit: I also bought a Tripod and the Canon RC-6 remote for my DSLR, all from Ebay.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 10th December 2012 at 12:06.
Old 10th December 2012, 12:14   #11092
Senior - BHPian

I am planing to visit 'Bhigwan' for bird photography. Since its just a hobby, I would not be putting much Vitamin M into it. I am planning to rent the lens and possibly body. As of now, I have Canon 1100D and 55-250m. I am getting quite good photos with this combination. The only issue with the body is that it sucks post 400 ISO and in a way it has become a limitation for me to go faster on the shutter speed.

For Bhigwan, I am planning to rent either Canon 300mm F4 with 1.4 TC OR Canon 100-400 F 4.5-5.6 without TC. Since I have a crop sensor camera, the reach increases. My only concern with TC is that the auto focus might go for a toss when shooting birds in flight. If I can manage, I may rent Canon 7D as well.

What are your thoughts on the lens? Which would be good for the trip ?
Old 10th December 2012, 12:17   #11093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Can someone outline the correct speed this card comes with as the website isnt clear. It says "upto' 30MB/sec reading speed

So what would be the approximate writing speed?
Hi Mobike008,

For Class 10 SD cards, the minimum write speed is 10MB/ sec.
The DSLR Thread-screenhunter_43-dec.-10-12.19.jpg
More details on the wiki page for SD Cards as below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th December 2012 at 12:21.
Old 10th December 2012, 12:32   #11094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Simple. See you lens. Move it to MF. Now you can freely rotate the front ring of the lens. on one extreme, its the closes the lens can focus and on another extreme, its the infinity :-)
Thanks for that feedback. Will check the marking on the lenses. Didnt see it till now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Before Diwali , I bought the same thing for 789/- on Ebay. My card is actually a Micro SD card of 16GB, which I use in the camera with it's adapter.Edit: I also bought a Tripod and the Canon RC-6 remote for my DSLR, all from Ebay.
Nice. How much for the tripod and which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
For Class 10 SD cards, the minimum write speed is 10MB/ sec
Ah! So its pretty low then. Reading is while transfering pictures from camera to computer and writing is when shooting a pic? Right?
Old 10th December 2012, 13:06   #11095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice. How much for the tripod and which one?
Only 1598/- for the Tripod. It is no Velbon, Vanguard, Benro, etc. Its a "Sonia" brand , model PH8, extends upto 6ft, weighs 1.8kg and feels pretty solid and can hold upto 4kgs weight.

Here is the link.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/330807840459?...84.m1497.l2649
The DSLR Thread-tripod.jpg

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 10th December 2012 at 13:08.
Old 10th December 2012, 14:03   #11096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think the batteries were the regular AA type batteries (branded Kodak, but I think it's just a branding difference). I get them free with the Kodak 400 film I purchase . I believe these would be the Alkaline type, no?.
Those Kodak batteries not alkaline and are bad, worse than your normal Eveready or Nippo. Please get alkalines (Duracell or Energizer) or Ni-MH.

Quote:
There are branded Kodak chargers available, another option would be Everedy(sp?). I am not sure I can get the Sanyo ones here.
Sanyo Eneloops are the best. If you cant get them where you stay order online. Forget Eveready.

Quote:
have an old Vivitar flash (283 or something) which I use on my Nikon FE. Now the question is can I use the Vivitar flash with the D40?
Nopes. Don't even think of it. Electronic circuit and flash exposure compatibility will be a problem. At best you would have to use manual exposure and at worst, you could fry your camera's circuitry.

Quote:
Are these flashguns from the film camera era, or are there modern, electronic-safe varieties of these guns? What if I screwed up the flashgun to the D40 using a plate? Would that be safe?
They are from the film era. Let me give you an example. I have an SB80-DX that works with early DX bodies and film cameras (called "DTTL") but not on my newer cameras. It will work only in manual mode. Nikon changed the flash exposure metering to "iTTL" with the advent of the SB800 in 2003/04. None of the newer cameras are backwards compatible with DTTL.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:43   #11097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Only 1598/- for the Tripod. It is no Velbon, Vanguard, Benro, etc. Its a "Sonia" brand , model PH8, extends upto 6ft, weighs 1.8kg and feels pretty solid and can hold upto 4kgs weight.

Here is the link.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/330807840459?...84.m1497.l2649
Attachment 1025467
Flipkart has Simpex 333 for 845 rs. Though the tripod is nothing great, it is ok for a beginer and flipkart can be trusted on product quality aspect
Old 10th December 2012, 18:18   #11098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Sanyo Eneloops are the best. If you cant get them where you stay order online. Forget Eveready.

Nopes. Don't even think of it. Electronic circuit and flash exposure compatibility will be a problem. At best you would have to use manual exposure and at worst, you could fry your camera's circuitry.
Thanks for the advice on the batteries, will check it online.

Re the flash, I am not worried much about losing the TTL capability. I have been shooting with the FE for more than two years, and occasional glitches apart, I am exposing the shots more or less correctly (I won't say I know a great deal, but so far I have managed to get the exposures right 80% of times). So even if I lost the ability to use TTL (or iTTL) I am not worried.

However, I do want to know if there's a way I could use the Vivitar on a bracket or something similar, so it remains off the camera hotshoe and I avoid frying the electronics. I might be able to lay my hands on a Metz gun used, and I would love to use it with both my FE and the D40.
Old 10th December 2012, 22:43   #11099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice on the batteries, will check it online.

Re the flash, I am not worried much about losing the TTL capability. I have been shooting with the FE for more than two years, and occasional glitches apart, I am exposing the shots more or less correctly (I won't say I know a great deal, but so far I have managed to get the exposures right 80% of times). So even if I lost the ability to use TTL (or iTTL) I am not worried.

However, I do want to know if there's a way I could use the Vivitar on a bracket or something similar, so it remains off the camera hotshoe and I avoid frying the electronics. I might be able to lay my hands on a Metz gun used, and I would love to use it with both my FE and the D40.
You can even think of using the Yongnuo radio triggers. This way your flash would be off camera and I hope the radio trigger wont blow up your camera circuitary.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:20   #11100
BHPian

1. What would be a better option for a dslr strap-
    • strap with a plate and extra bolt on for tripod
    • strap with direct bolt on screw to camera body
  2. Are there any long term users of third party remote users?do they last long as compared to OEM brands?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks