Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 16:44   #11491
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The 70-200 F4 has been released. It's priced @ an MRP ~84K (cannot remember the exact price) though the price hasn't been updated on Nikon's website. I got this MRP from a dealer.

Update: The new 80-400 AF-S VR II is priced at INR 179,950 about 8K more than the 70-200 2.8 VR II. Availability is end March onwards.
wow!!! double good news. I need to call up the local dealer. I have heard favorable reviews on the 70-200 f4,
Old 5th March 2013, 18:05   #11492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi guys, I just came across the below pic on fb and was blown away by the clarity of it considering it was taken in low light in the middle of the night......
Any camera (regardless of the sensor size) with a long exposure feature can take the same pic. Mostly the settings go in the ISO-100, f/8, 30 secs - 3mts category. Tripod, self timer, patience, boldness to be alone in the night etc. go as added requirements
Old 5th March 2013, 21:34   #11493

Hi, I have a friend coming over from USA and im thinking of asking him to purchase this bundle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Canon-T4...item257834b2fc

I have decided on the camera and lens but just wondering if i should go for the whole bundle or just buy the lenses and camera and buy the rest locally (Bangalore). I'm still a beginner to DSLR photography by the way. Hoping for some advice.

Thanks
Sanjith
Old 5th March 2013, 22:32   #11494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow90 View Post
Hi, I have a friend coming over from USA and im thinking of asking him to purchase this bundle.

I have decided on the camera and lens but just wondering if i should go for the whole bundle or just buy the lenses and camera and buy the rest locally (Bangalore). I'm still a beginner to DSLR photography by the way. Hoping for some advice.

Thanks
Sanjith
Camera body warranties are local only. So a camera purchased in the US thru an authorized US dealer will be covered under warranty only in that country. I assume this eBay dealer is legit and authorized. Please check.

I am not sure why you aren't buying this kit (AKA Canon EOS 650D in India and rest of the world) locally? Forget the freebies in the kit.. local support is more important.
Old 5th March 2013, 22:53   #11495

Quote:
Camera body warranties are local only. So a camera purchased in the US thru an authorized US dealer will be covered under warranty only in that country. I assume this eBay dealer is legit and authorized. Please check.

I am not sure why you aren't buying this kit (AKA Canon EOS 650D in India and rest of the world) locally? Forget the freebies in the kit.. local support is more important.
I'm actually finalizing on this now, still a bit confused though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-NEW-Canon...item43b936c744

Well, in Bangalore the cheapest i could find for body + kit lens (18-55) + 55-250mm IS II was Rs 68,000. The above deal is for 810$, 54.85 x 810 = 44,428. So id be saving about 20k.

My friend visits US quite often, so warranty not a problem just in case ,right ?
Old 5th March 2013, 22:54   #11496
BHPian

does anybody have experience in buying from keh.com?

How is the customs procedure on used items?
Old 6th March 2013, 10:58   #11497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, in Bangalore the cheapest i could find for body + kit lens (18-55) + 55-250mm IS II was Rs 68,000. The above deal is for 810$, 54.85 x 810 = 44,428. So id be saving about 20k.

My friend visits US quite often, so warranty not a problem just in case ,right ?
Well, only you can decide if you want to forego the warranty. Depending on a friend/relative to ship a faulty camera overseas and back is a bit of a long shot in my opinion.

So I would not buy abroad and most certainly never from eBay. But it's down to individual choice. Can't blame you though as 20K is a big saving. Good luck and hope you enjoy the camera!
Old 6th March 2013, 11:14   #11498

Quote:
Well, only you can decide if you want to forego the warranty. Depending on a friend/relative to ship a faulty camera overseas and back is a bit of a long shot in my opinion.

So I would not buy abroad and most certainly never from eBay. But it's down to individual choice. Can't blame you though as 20K is a big saving. Good luck and hope you enjoy the camera!
Thanks,just gotta hope nothing will go wrong.
Old 6th March 2013, 11:38   #11499
Senior - BHPian

Just buy the Canon Kit and do not fall in trap of such bundles.
Apart for what Canon provides ( body , lenses , battery , charger , strap, CD , cables) every thing else in this bundle that is tripod bag , wide angle convertor , flash is going to add to junk in your cupboard very soon. Also rather then buying from unknown ebay sellers try if you can buy from Canon direct stores , Adorama , B&H , Amazon.

IMHO best option is to buy body only 18-55 IS Kit lens you can buy 2nd hand very cheaply here as lot of people sell the kit lens.

About the warranty part I think if difference is substantial it is worth taking the risk.

Quote:

Thanks
Sanjith
Old 6th March 2013, 17:53   #11500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
does anybody have experience in buying from keh.com?

How is the customs procedure on used items?
KEH are the best used equipment dealers in USA and I speak from personal experience as I have bought many lenses from them. Their grading systrm is pretty good and their EX and EX+ grades are not too far away from new equipment. They also have a no questions asked return policy that allows you ample time to evaluate your lenses. I did not know they shipped in India and I have no idea about how customes will handle used equipment.
Old 6th March 2013, 22:50   #11501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi guys, I just came across the below pic on fb and was blown away by the clarity of it considering it was taken in low light in the middle of the night. The picture description mentions it was taken by a Nikon D600 and the shutter was left open for 42 seconds.

Its common knowledge that the Nikon D600 is a Full Frame (Fx) camera. So my question to the experts is, would i be able to get clarity somewhere close to this from a Dx format camera using the right lenses? Lets say from a Nikon D5100 or a D7000? I am specifically asking with regards to low light photography as is the case with the picture below. I know fx cameras are in a league of their own so i am not expecting dx cameras to give me same quality pics, but I would like to know how far down are dx cameras compared to fx cameras when shooting in very low light? Lets assume that on a scale of 1-10 the Fx camera is a 10, then where would a D5100 score comparatively speaking?

Any info would be of great help Thanks. (Note: below pic has been downsized for uploading)
Image source: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Attachment 1058306
The D7000 should be able to take the picture you shared. See this long exposure night photo taken with the ancient D90, that has far inferior low light performance. With some processing e.g. increasing the contrast and lifting the shadows, this photo would look better.

The DSLR Thread-csc_0686.jpg

A full frame modern DSLR (such as the D600) would be capable of taking far better night photos than the one you shared e.g. look at some of the Night Gallery photos in this website: http://www.squiver.com/. Photo # 8 in the Night Gallery is mindblowing.
Old 7th March 2013, 11:03   #11502
BHPian

Hello all,

I am getting nikon d7000 today, i was thinking of taking only body and tamron 17-50 lens without VC. So nikon users can anybody tell me is it worth taking d7000 with kit lens 18-105 or tamron option will be good. Which lens will be good for everyday use which can take good pictures under low light as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 7th March 2013, 11:50   #11503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Hello all,

I am getting nikon d7000 today, i was thinking of taking only body and tamron 17-50 lens without VC. So nikon users can anybody tell me is it worth taking d7000 with kit lens 18-105 or tamron option will be good. Which lens will be good for everyday use which can take good pictures under low light as well. Thanks in advance.
VR is quite useful (esp as 18-105 is a travel zoom) and Nikon D7000 does not have in body stabilization so go with the nikkor lens I'd say. In fact dont buy as kit, instead pick a used one (search on forums like jjmehta. Lot of people jettison their kit lens so very high chance of coming across one in your city)
Old 7th March 2013, 13:10   #11504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
VR is quite useful (esp as 18-105 is a travel zoom) and Nikon D7000 does not have in body stabilization so go with the nikkor lens I'd say. In fact dont buy as kit, instead pick a used one (search on forums like jjmehta. Lot of people jettison their kit lens so very high chance of coming across one in your city)
+1

But I assume the OP is a beginner and most people buy the kit because they see added value compared to a body only purchase and they can start shooting immediately. Also, the kit lens costs more if purchased separately.

Quote:
Congratulations. Joslicx is right, do take the kit lens with you. Low light photography requires VR and/or tripod and/or fast glass. Given your current choices take the VR lens. And the kit lens has a wider range.

Buy a fast lens once you outgrow this one. The D7K will give great results with better glass.
Old 7th March 2013, 21:39   #11505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

A month ago I picked up a 16-85 Nikon lens for my d7000. Expensive, but brilliant lens. I am able to take pics that are sharp from as slow as 1/4 seconds, handheld. All it lacks that my prime lenses can deliver is the shallow depth of field. Buy it if you are looking for a keeper, that you can use to take most of your shots. Heavy lens though, but it does balance well on the camera.

If you plan to use the Nikon flash system, I would stick with Nikon CPU lenses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks