Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 11:46   #11626
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Taking the plunge into SLR domain. I'm a complete novice compared to the experts around here. After quite a few years with P&S and against some stiff opposition (from FM) I decided to plunge into the black hole. Hopefully it doesn't suck me dry

On a serious note, I want to up my learning curve. Have tried to readup on the exhaustive information in the prior pages.

Was thinking to start the journey with Nikon D5100 with 18-55 VR kit. What do you guys think?

Saw this today on flipkart - Nikon D5100 (body) with Sigma 18-125mm F/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM combo for 40k. Think this is good?
Do some more reading around this probably you will not find it as best deal or best combo either.

Also flipkart is priced little higher then brick and mortar DSLR shops ( this excludes Whizz and GK Vale kind of places in Malls)
If you are in a metro look for dedicated camera dealers and places for better deals.
Old 9th April 2013, 11:58   #11627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was thinking to start the journey with Nikon D5100 with 18-55 VR kit. What do you guys think?

Saw this today on flipkart - Nikon D5100 (body) with Sigma 18-125mm F/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM combo for 40k. Think this is good?
Check out www.camshot.in . You would usually find the best price here. If you are coming down to Pune, you can pick it up yourself.

Here's the price on the camshot site of D5100:

The DSLR Thread-camshot_d5100.jpg
Old 9th April 2013, 12:08   #11628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Check out www.camshot.in . You

Here's the price on the camshot site of D5100:
Well this price is with 18-55 VR Nikon lens the combination he has provided is
Sigma 18-125 F3.5- 5.6 DC OS HSM lens.

Now that is why I suggested to study more Nikon 18-105 VR has similar performance but better corner sharpness at the extreme ends wide open.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...3556vr?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...3856os?start=1

Finally why exactly Nikon D5100 is another question you need to ask yourself.
Old 9th April 2013, 12:16   #11629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well this price is with 18-55 VR Nikon lens the combination he has provided is
Sigma 18-125 F3.5- 5.6 DC OS HSM lens.

Now that is why I suggested to study more Nikon 18-105 VR has similar performance but better corner sharpness at the extreme ends wide open.
I agree to an extent. The site also shows Body-only price. Probably you were in a hurry to commrent on my post. Arup can get the body at the best price and buy a lens from somewhere else.
Old 9th April 2013, 12:32   #11630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Do some more reading around this probably you will not find it as best deal or best combo either. Also flipkart is priced little higher then brick and mortar DSLR shops
Thanks Amit, If you point me the right page it'll be really helpful. Else sifting through 700+ pages will cause a burnout.

I thought flipkart was cheaper than Brick shops. Now that you have mentioned, will put my legs to better use.

Quote:
Check out www.camshot.in . You would usually find the best price here.
Thanks Ajay, Yeah I had heard (oopps read) about it. But from what I understand only flipkart is listed as official online retailer by Nikon. Is that true?
Old 9th April 2013, 12:37   #11631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought flipkart was cheaper than Brick shops. Now that you have mentioned, will put my legs to better use.

Thanks Ajay, Yeah I had heard (oopps read) about it. But from what I understand only flipkart is listed as official online retailer by Nikon. Is that true?
Flipkart is NOT cheaper than shops, well most of the shops.
Camshot is not a Nikon authorised dealer, but from whatever experience I have had in the last 3-4 years, they are pretty reliable. Also, since anyway you are going to visit a shop physically, why not this too. The only interest I have with Camshot, is that they give the best price, be it any camera. So I usually advise the place to people.
Old 9th April 2013, 15:47   #11632
Senior - BHPian

One important thing to check out with retail shops is to phone beforehand and check on availability. Not to say anything about camshop in particular (which could have the entire range as attested by members her), but not all shops in a particular city are equal. For example, in Delhi, shops in less affluent areas may have only a limited range while shops in central locations or in big shopping complexes may have the full range in stock.
Old 10th April 2013, 11:23   #11633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Flipkart is NOT cheaper than shops, well most of the shops. Camshot is not a Nikon authorised dealer, The only interest I have with Camshot, is that they give the best price, be it any camera. So I usually advise the place to people.
Flipkart has one of the highest prices in recent months. Probably pressure from their VCs to increase profits and provide them better ROI.

Don't buy from them unless you can't find it any other (reliable) dealer at a lower price.

I think there was a discussion earlier about Camshot not being an authorised Nikon dealer. SPARKled had called Nikon India directly to enquire.

They also confirmed that Flipkart is an authorised online dealer.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3011365
Old 10th April 2013, 11:34   #11634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I think there was a discussion earlier about Camshot not being an authorised Nikon dealer. SPARKled had called Nikon India directly to enquire.

They also confirmed that Flipkart is an authorised online dealer.

[/url]
Yes, thats what I mentioned in my post. Camshot is NOT the authorized dealer of Nikon.
Old 10th April 2013, 11:42   #11635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, thats what I mentioned in my post. Camshot is NOT the authorized dealer of Nikon.
Yups Ajay, I was only reiterating what you said via a link to SPARKled's post.
Old 10th April 2013, 13:06   #11636
BHPian

Re: Help me to decide a DSLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I'm a newbie to DSLRs. My use will be mainly for some regular snaps and for railfanning.
Why not the (older) Nikon D3100, cheaper and enough for practical purposes (I own it).

Check-out:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/upgrades.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

Last edited by manim : 10th April 2013 at 13:08.
Old 11th April 2013, 18:35   #11637
Senior - BHPian

I have Canon's 550D with the kit lens and wanted to buy a tripod for it.

I narrowed down the search to Simpex 2400 at 1100/- and Slik F 630 at 2125/-, both available on Flipkart.

Now Slik offers lifetime warranty whereas Simpex only 18 months, but Simpex is half the price. I'd not be carrying the tripod around on treks or anything so I don't need a super-tough tripod but would definitely be buying heavier lenses in future so it should be able to hold that extra weight without any fuss.

The load capacity of Simpex is rated at 2900 gms but Slik doesn't show anything with respect to load or anything. What say?
Old 11th April 2013, 20:10   #11638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have Canon's 550D with the kit lens and wanted to buy a tripod for it.

I narrowed down the search to Simpex 2400 at 1100/- and Slik F 630 at 2125/-, both available on Flipkart.

Now Slik offers lifetime warranty whereas Simpex only 18 months, but Simpex is half the price. I'd not be carrying the tripod around on treks or anything so I don't need a super-tough tripod but would definitely be buying heavier lenses in future so it should be able to hold that extra weight without any fuss.

The load capacity of Simpex is rated at 2900 gms but Slik doesn't show anything with respect to load or anything. What say?
I'd say avoid both. Buy something with at least 7-10 kgs capacity. Slik is good with support products but simpex I frankly have no idea. Your tripod should be able to support at least 3 times the maximum weight you are going to load it with. Check out manfrotto as well.
Old 11th April 2013, 20:22   #11639
Senior - BHPian

A good rule for tripods is the heavier the better. So get one which has sturdy legs. Beware of tripods which extend more than 4 feet. These will normally sway and shake, unless they are of the more expensive variety - Carbon Fiber or Wood, but then these are in the 15k+ category.
Old 15th April 2013, 17:18   #11640
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikon Image Space introduced in India

Guys,

Nikon has introduced its Image Space photo sharing and hosting facility to India based users. Nikon camera users get a 'special' account i.e. 20 GB storage space. The service is free and has an IOS/Android app downloadable from the iTunes/Play Store.

http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/announc...ace-Launch.xml

http://info.nikonimagespace.com/en_US/special.html

I signed up earlier today.

I read the service is not without issues, but then its free.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks