Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 17:13   #11761
Team-BHP Support

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
That's glib and opinionated - I actually don't see what's wrong with Clarkson or Rockwell. Sure they either love or hate stuff and one has to take their reviews with a pinch of salt but you won't go ridiculously wrong with either if you solely depend on them. Rockwell publishes real practical usage information that "proper" sites often don't bother with.
As I mentioned earlier, I look at him for the first report. As a post mentioned, he may have extreme views. But at least he gives a good direction/basis to start with. Then I look at other places like DP reviews to add on to it to get a good handle overall.
Old 3rd May 2013, 21:30   #11762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post

That's glib and opinionated - I actually don't see what's wrong with Clarkson or Rockwell. Sure they either love or hate stuff and one has to take their reviews with a pinch of salt but you won't go ridiculously wrong with either if you solely depend on them. Rockwell publishes real practical usage information that "proper" sites often don't bother with.
Ken Rockwell actually reviews a lot of equipment even without using it. I guess now he even reviews audio equipment. There might be a few useful things on his site but he has these extreme views when one day Nikon was the latest and the greatest but the last time I saw his site it was Canon so that does not leave him with too much integrity to speak of. Most of the times he is only trying to generate wealth out of his web site by making outlandish comments to attract attention and hits.
Old 3rd May 2013, 22:55   #11763
Senior - BHPian

I find photozone.de and lenstip.com reviews more objective and useful.
Old 4th May 2013, 09:45   #11764
Senior - BHPian

Most of us have brains and hopefully some intelligence to make a conclusion based on what is posted at various review sites. That being said, the sites mentioned above (rockwell, dpreview, photozone, lenstip) are usually good and reliable. Reading through them and also shopping site reviews should give one an extremely good idea about products. What about digitalpicture, ephotozine. There is also a canonrumor forum which has blogs and good news.
Old 4th May 2013, 09:46   #11765
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here used the Sigma 17-70 Contemporary or Tamron 17-50 VC?

This is all about the brand new "Contemporary" lens launched by Sigma a couple of months back. $499 it is.

http://www.lenstip.com/366.1-Lens_re...ro_OS_HSM.html
(dont agree with their final summary though).
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013...nikon-f-mount/
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...1277165&page=2
http://ourshutterjourney.wordpress.c...-2013-edition/

In real life testing I found it tack sharper than the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 nonVC (the VC one was just not sharp enough, and too noisy). This is SUPER fast, has far more reliable focus lock in limited light conditions. It is a really nice lens much better in real life, but I'd like a owner's perspective!

But if anyone has bought it -would appreciate their comments / reviews / insights. Thanks in advance - Am looking to buy shortly.
Old 4th May 2013, 19:16   #11766
BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Upgrading a lens for crop camera is a difficult process because the full frame is always there at the back of your mind. Just finished the review of Canon EF-S 15-85mm. I hope it will help others like me who faced the dilemma:

http://www.bitwindow.com/canon-ef-s-15-85mm-review
Old 5th May 2013, 21:27   #11767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Ken Rockwell actually reviews a lot of equipment even without using it. I guess now he even reviews audio equipment. There might be a few useful things on his site but he has these extreme views when one day Nikon was the latest and the greatest but the last time I saw his site it was Canon so that does not leave him with too much integrity to speak of. Most of the times he is only trying to generate wealth out of his web site by making outlandish comments to attract attention and hits.
I don't hold a brief for Rockwell but some of things you said shows an inherent bias.

Every review I have read of his is for equipment he has used. Unless it's newly launched stuff for which he just publishes the specs and says he has ordered it and will review in detail later. As far as the switch to Canon is concerned, when they stole a march over Nikon, he called it like it is - there's nothing wrong with that. Every Nikon user knows that as the truth.

And most of his comments are not aimed at generating income - all of them are! The site is what he does. It is his full time profession and his only source of income. He says so at the end of every page. He is not backed by any manufacturer nor does he get equipment gratis to test. That makes him more independent than 90% of the reviews out there.
Old 5th May 2013, 21:34   #11768
Senior - BHPian

I am in love with Nikon 35mm prime lens. It is really value for money. I have been using the lens indoors and it shines in low light conditions. Bokeh comes out well. I am glad that I bought it along with the camera. I started appreciating the lens more once I switched to the kit lens - the sharpness and speed is much better. I am yet to venture outside. I think the 35mm lens will stay on the camera unless I badly need some zoom outdoors.

I started liking the manual mode more than aperture control as I find it easy to read the exposure from slider by changing both aperture and shutter speed. I am enjoying the learning phase.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 5th May 2013 at 21:35.
Old 5th May 2013, 21:59   #11769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Anyone here used the Sigma 17-70 Contemporary

- Am looking to buy shortly.
Is it available in India if yes what is the price ?
Old 5th May 2013, 22:41   #11770
AWD
BHPian

How do D3100 - D5100 - 550D compare ?

Also does 550D have an Auto-Focus in Body ?
Old 5th May 2013, 22:54   #11771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post

Also does 550D have an Auto-Focus in Body ?
All canon AF lenses and also 3ed party lenses for Canon EF/EF-S have a focus motor so all lenses will autofocus and this point does not apply.
Old 5th May 2013, 23:08   #11772
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
All canon AF lenses and also 3ed party lenses for Canon EF/EF-S have a focus motor so all lenses will autofocus and this point does not apply.
I know that but does 550D have a Auto-Focus motor in the Body ? Nikon D90, 7000, etc. have them & these work in conjunction with the AF-S lenses.
Old 5th May 2013, 23:23   #11773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that but does 550D have a Auto-Focus motor in the Body ? Nikon D90, 7000, etc. have them & these work in conjunction with the AF-S lenses.
The answer is no , No Canon camera right from 1000D to highest 1DX has AF motor.
Canon EF mount does not have screw driven focus provision, design is to have AF motor in every lens. s

As they maintain the consistency in system all Canon EF mount lenses work on all Canon EOS bodies.

Last edited by amitk26 : 5th May 2013 at 23:24.
Old 5th May 2013, 23:33   #11774
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
The answer is no , No Canon camera right from 1000D to highest 1DX has AF motor.
As they maintain the consistency in system all Canon EF mount lenses work on all Canon EOS bodies.
Thanks, that clears my doubts. Is 550D a good buy still ? Records Vids in HD ?
Old 5th May 2013, 23:50   #11775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, that clears my doubts. Is 550D a good buy still ? Records Vids in HD ?
What you mean by still in this case ? AF Motor can not be point of comparison here. That point is only relevant to Nikon D3100, D5100 etc because lack of AF motor breaks AF with some nikon lenses.

Yes it has full HD recording , I would advice to move to Canon 600D due to following additional features above 550D.

1. Articulated LCD screen which helps a lot in low angle and overhead shots.
2. Master mode flash that onboard flash acts as master and can fire remote slaves but this is important only if you are in to flash photography.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks