Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 16:30   #13096
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I had sold my D90 through JJMehta forum. Good place for buying and selling.
I have placed an ad there and received some responses, but nothing has been concluded as yet.
Link here for the benefit of anyone here that may be interested.
http://www.jjmehta.com/forum/index.p...c,37517.0.html
Any interest, I will be happy to reply to PMs here.
Old 11th September 2014, 17:31   #13097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have placed an ad there and received some responses, but nothing has been concluded as yet.
Link here for the benefit of anyone here that may be interested.
http://www.jjmehta.com/forum/index.p...c,37517.0.html
Any interest, I will be happy to reply to PMs here.
It took me 2 months to sell. You would need to keep bumping up the thread once in a while.
Old 11th September 2014, 17:37   #13098
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It took me 2 months to sell. You would need to keep bumping up the thread once in a while.
On the body, just wondering if it makes sense to sell? How much was the resale? Because if its too low, you can retain it as a second body and buy the new one. (Just a line of thought). Because if one is investing 70-80K for a new body, one might as well retain the old one, rather than getting 10-12K (just saying a figure). These prosumer level DSLRs are way worth more.

Last edited by ampere : 11th September 2014 at 17:38.
Old 11th September 2014, 18:54   #13099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
On the body, just wondering if it makes sense to sell? How much was the resale? Because if its too low, you can retain it as a second body and buy the new one. (Just a line of thought). Because if one is investing 70-80K for a new body, one might as well retain the old one, rather than getting 10-12K (just saying a figure). These prosumer level DSLRs are way worth more.
I sold the D90 for ~ 21K if I remember.

The IQ difference was discernible - I tried keeping the D90 body for landscape, but the 14 bit, 24MP RAW of D7100 was significantly superior to the 12 bit RAW image of the D90. So sold it in the end. I have a single body now, and don't like changing lenses in the dust, so switching between wildlife/telephoto mode and landscape mode is a challenge. I end up taking many forest landscape shots at 70-100mm focal lengths lol.
Old 11th September 2014, 19:18   #13100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed. I shall keep that in mind, thanks!
Old 11th September 2014, 20:16   #13101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I end up taking many forest landscape shots at 70-100mm focal lengths lol.
Actually one can get very good landscapes at that focal length, thanks to subject isolation. I use my 70-200 and 100mm a lot for landscapes! (In fact most of the times)

PS: 21K is quite good for the body. Then it makes sense to sell. I was not sure if one could get such resale.
Old 11th September 2014, 21:10   #13102
BHPian

Bought a Canon 70d on amazon.in yesterday with 18-55 mm kit lens for 72.5K. Will get it tomorrow.

Finally replacing my 350D warhorse after almost a decade of amazing service & 35k pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 11th September 2014, 21:19   #13103
BHPian

Hi All, I have an offer for an used Nikon speedlight SB600 for 7K (in decent condition). Is it a good buy for my D5200? I guess it will come handy for any indoor clicks or for bouncing light off it.

What is your view? is it a good buy at the mentioned price?
Anything that I should be wary of?

Pl. suggest.
Old 12th September 2014, 11:42   #13104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Hi All, I have an offer for an used Nikon speedlight SB600 for 7K (in decent condition).
I have been using this flash with my for more than 4 years and it is really good. I am currently using it with my D7000 and D600. The price also seems to be reasonable. Just ensure that you test it on your camera fully before buying it.
Old 14th September 2014, 19:40   #13105
BHPian

Hi!

Newbie here! But would like to be here forever. Had been "reading" photography for some time. But the reading has come to a saturation point and would like to start clicking. After checking out various cameras, I have finally got down to SLRs. Why? Well, a few reasons are :
  1. Only 36/38 clicks in a go. Every shot would be planned first.
  2. No auto mode! Everything is manual and has a dedicated button
  3. Developing patience to see the result. No instant result.

The only camera I could find available and working properly was a Nikon FM2 with a Nikon 50 mil f1.8 AI (on OLX). The seller is asking Rs.12k for it. Is the SLR worth it? Or should I look for some other options? Please help guys.
Old 14th September 2014, 20:01   #13106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
Hi!

Newbie here! But would like to be here forever. Had been "reading" photography for some time. But the reading has come to a saturation point and would like to start clicking. After checking out various cameras, I have finally got down to SLRs. Why? Well, a few reasons are :
The only camera I could find available and working properly was a Nikon FM2 with a Nikon 50 mil f1.8 AI (on OLX). The seller is asking Rs.12k for it. Is the SLR worth it? Or should I look for some other options? Please help guys.
1. There is nothing preventing you from exercising the same discipline with a DSLR.
2. Every DSLR has this mode. You can set the aperture, exposure speed and ISO manually. One thing good about DSLR is that you can see the results immediately, where as with film you will have to wait till the roll is over and developed.
3. Cannot comment on this.

Just beware that film, developing and printing costs quite a bit today. Time was when I got Kodak film for less than Rs.100, developing free and each 5x3 print was Rs.2. Nett cost for 36 exposures Rs172/ per roll. Today it will cost you at least three times that, so each roll will be at least Rs400+, and you are a the mercy of a few labs still operating. Though there are still a few labs for professionals, their rates are more than twice the normal rate.

Just from the financial view a D3300 DSLR, available as low as Rs30,000/, be (30000-12000)/400 = 45 rolls of film, easily done in a year, after that images with a DSLR are free!

That apart, unless you want the look of film, a DSLR is the preferred tool today. It has more resolution, more dynamic range (so you can recover shadows easily) and enables advanced functions like HDR, hassle free time lapse etc.

Another problem with all manual camera like FM2 is that it will not take modern lenses, so you are stuck to available legacy manual focus lenses. If you are serious about photography, start with a DSLR and then think of augmenting it with a film body.

A new FM 10 with a zoom is around 21K
http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product...5-4-5#overview
but you can get it for quite less in the market.
Old 14th September 2014, 20:37   #13107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. There is nothing preventing you from exercising the same discipline with a DSLR.
2. Every DSLR has this mode. You can set the aperture, exposure speed and ISO manually. One thing good about DSLR is that you can see the results immediately, where as with film you will have to wait till the roll is over and developed.
3. Cannot comment on this.

I completely agree with you that all of the above can be easy with a dslr. But when you are starting ( and a bit lazy), you might not be able to keep yourself determined and lock your dial on the auto mode forever! I fear so in my case.

I am not planning to click with an slr for more than a year. Hence a 50 mm and any other nikon af-d zoom would be enough. I don't think any nikon g lens comes with an aperture ring. Only the AIs and AF-d have the ring.

The developing charges as you said are high these days. That might prove to be a bottleneck. But the photos that come out are stunning. I inquired about the cost and one guy told me that it would take Rs.100 to develop the roll and and Rs. 15 per print.

Initially I was all set to buy a D7000 but then came the Rs.20k plastic fantastic canon 10-18mm f4.5 UWA and I was in a confusion again whether to buy canon 60D or nikon D7000. And in the meanwhile, I was introduced to film cameras. A classic is a classic. Just as any beginner, I am confused. But I know I am at the right place and would surely be clicking before the end of this month.

Thanks for the advice Aroy!
Old 14th September 2014, 21:32   #13108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree with you that all of the above can be easy with a dslr. But when you are starting ( and a bit lazy), you might not be able to keep yourself determined and lock your dial on the auto mode forever! I fear so in my case.

I am not planning to click with an slr for more than a year. Hence a 50 mm and any other nikon af-d zoom would be enough. I don't think any nikon g lens comes with an aperture ring. Only the AIs and AF-d have the ring.

The developing charges as you said are high these days. That might prove to be a bottleneck. But the photos that come out are stunning. I inquired about the cost and one guy told me that it would take Rs.100 to develop the roll and and Rs. 15 per print.

Initially I was all set to buy a D7000 but then came the Rs.20k plastic fantastic canon 10-18mm f4.5 UWA and I was in a confusion again whether to buy canon 60D or nikon D7000. And in the meanwhile, I was introduced to film cameras. A classic is a classic. Just as any beginner, I am confused. But I know I am at the right place and would surely be clicking before the end of this month.

Thanks for the advice Aroy!
Get the D3300 as I did, and you are in for a pleasant surprise (I also have a D300 and recently sold the D70). I also had a Zenit FS12s Photosniper with 300mm F4.5 lense, but film has become a chore, so I sold that also. The camera is light and has exceptional IQ and DR, no 35mm film can beat that. Desist from getting expensive DX format cameras. You will get more dedicated buttons, better build and gizmos, but the image taking capability is the same. If at all you want to spend more money, get a FX body at a later date - that will give you access to a lot of excellent legacy wide lenses.

The D3300 has minimal controls and goes all manual with older AIS lenses, that should satisfy your craving for total control.
Old 14th September 2014, 22:37   #13109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Newbie here! But would like to be here forever. Had been "reading" photography for some time. But the reading has come to a saturation point and would like to start clicking.
You can try test-drive of DSLR by renting it for a weekend. Should not cost more than 1k.
Old 15th September 2014, 00:41   #13110
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

I would second Aroy & NetfreakBombay. Going for a film camera to reinforce your determination to shoot on manual-mode does not seem practicable.
In-fact, people who are still shooting on film are typically very exclusive pros who need even more than what the latest DSLRs can offer. These folks will likely even have scanning equipment that will produce a digital photo from the film at over 70 MegaPixels.
Besides, such a solution would not offer any video or continuous-shoot capabilities or even shooting assistance / help. If its a tech deep-dive you're looking for, I would suggest you lookup "Magic Lantern" firmware, high-speed CF & SD cards and Eneloop Batteries to get your fill.
Happy Clicking!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks