Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 23:01   #13006
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Certainly VR, since non VR lens is not compatible with D5300.

1. Cheaper prime lens (35 mm 1.8, costs around 7.5. - 8.5k, but much batter quality)
2. Sturdy tripod (4k)
3. Polarizing filter (3k )
4. MC-DC2 Remote Cord (Costs around 800 - 1200)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
And take my suggestion, never buy a UWA. I had a 12-24 and think hardly 2-5% of whole of my pic lot were shot using that lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not 85, but 50 mm would be better, IMO

The 17-55 f2.8 is a goood one ! Actually, this, instead of the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 would be much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
If you ask me, you could just buy a 18-105 (or 18-140 - even better) and a 70-300VR and be happy for a while. The 18-105 is a very handy walkaround lens. And the 70-300 VR is a great VFM one (for example b/w 70-200mm it is as good as the 80-400mm which costs 3 times).

If you are very keen on - or want to take up wildlife photography - especially birding - then you would need a longer lens e.g. the Sigma or the new Tamron. If you want a UWA, then a Tokina 11-16mm will be good.

I have been using the 18-105 and 70-300 for a while now (I do rent other lenses for my wildlife trips). Many of the photos here were taken with these two lenses: http://500px.com/nilanjanray

But yes, I am planning to upgrade soon.
Dear all: many thanks for the guidance. So its going to be (i) 18-140mm, (ii) 70-300mm and (iii) 11-16mm. The former 2 Nikon and the last one Tokina.

I am planning to go with Flipkart (WS Retail). Any suggestions for a retail store at Delhi will be helpful. I have had a good experience with Flipkart till now.

With 3 different lenses (in the bag) should I be looking at an extra body to meaningfully use these lenses? Also, need guidance with a good tripod. Thanks again.

Last edited by Traveller Nayak : 3rd August 2014 at 23:12. Reason: added text for Tripod
Old 3rd August 2014, 23:20   #13007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
That is why I feel one shouldn't make generic statements such as Canon vs Nikon. Best to compare same class of cameras.
Working on custom firmware for D5300, so had to look into innards of autofocus module. current generation of Canon does have three advantages over Nikon in crop bodies like D5300 / D7100.

1. Center AF point in Canon 60D / 70D is dual cross type
2. Cross type AF points are spread wider across the viewfinder
3. CMOS chips have phase detect sub-pixels on sensor chip itself (Nikon's system depends completely on contrast detect for Live View)

Some of it due to trade-offs made in Fujitsu Milbeaut / SONY EXMOR modules that Nikon depends on.
Old 4th August 2014, 07:42   #13008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some of it due to trade-offs made in Fujitsu Milbeaut / SONY EXMOR modules that Nikon depends on.
Curious, but have you been able to look towards the D5200, which uses a Toshiba ?
Old 4th August 2014, 09:26   #13009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have you been able to look towards the D5200, which uses a Toshiba ?
Have not looked at D5200. I guess autofocus would be similar since it is from Fujitsu, but dont know for sure.

D5200 has much better documentation thanks to Chipworks:

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technica...toshiba-found/

Toshiba CPU :

http://elcodis.com/parts/6146807/tmp19a44fda.html
Old 6th August 2014, 23:42   #13010
Senior - BHPian

ing
Quote:
Working on custom firmware for D5300, so had to look into innards of autofocus module. current generation of Canon does have three advantages over Nikon in crop bodies like D5300 / D7100.

1. Center AF point in Canon 60D / 70D is dual cross type
2. Cross type AF points are spread wider across the viewfinder
3. CMOS chips have phase detect sub-pixels on sensor chip itself (Nikon's system depends completely on contrast detect for Live View)

Some of it due to trade-offs made in Fujitsu Milbeaut / SONY EXMOR ive - modules that Nikon depends on.
Interesting. From a theoretical perspective - for certain types of shooter - yes, I can see why Canon could be compelling.

For action shooting, from a field perspective - I am not so sure. And yes, i have seen those videos where the cameras are in 3D or auto mode and the shooter try to track moving subjects. The thing is, I haven't read of any pro shooter who shoots in auto or 3D mode where the decisions are left to the camera. And I don't know exactly what AF settings were used e.g. what focus lock mode was used?

I can only speak about nature and wildlife shooters, since that is a genre that I am familiar with. No pro shooter uses a AF point that is far away from the central points, if there is any chance of the subject moving, None of them shoot in live mode for any dynamic subject. Folks typically use a dynamic AF mode (single/9/21 points - and the Canon equivalent) for moving subjects. You seldom come across subjects where a 3D mode is worthwhile (where the camera follows the subject across all the AF points - that is where the spread cross type AF points will be useful). And one only uses 3D mode for extremely dynamic and unpredictable subjects - say a bee - where there is a clear demarcation b/w the subject and the background.

Having said that, I do read that the 1DX AF (or for that matter, 5D Mk III) is extremely powerful - better than the D4 AF. D4S AF (the group AF) has supposedly surpassed the 1DX benchmark for action shooting, but my 'knowledge' is from hearsay and internet gossip.

Btw, for nature still shooting - where AF is not that important - there isn't a FX camera that can beat the D810, or even the D800E. Though I am sure that Canon would move the goalposts pretty soon with a new launch.

Canon and Nikon are an oligopoly. Moving the goalposts in turns. Some claim that there are hidden common investors who make sure that none of the companies threaten each other badly.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 6th August 2014 at 23:52.
Old 7th August 2014, 00:25   #13011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Franky, I suggested Tamron 90mm, because I have seen a friend of mine using it for the same purpose. I also owned the same for 6 months, its a very sharp lens. Sold mine because I wanted a 150mm for shooting bugs and tiny flies with better working distance. Even a 50mm should be fine for you but I am not sure about the prices. Best thing is to cross check with your senior friends in the profession, they will give an accurate practical suggestion as yours is an exclusive usage.

I assumed ring light requirement, because you might be shooting mostly in f/8 or f/12. So specific camera flash comes handy and ring lights are not expensive.
Can you tell me where to buy a ring flash for nikon Dslr3200 with a ttl light in India? The LED ring flash I got from amazon is not working on the manual mode.
Old 7th August 2014, 19:33   #13012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
Dear all: many thanks for the guidance. So its going to be (i) 18-140mm, (ii) 70-300mm and (iii) 11-16mm. The former 2 Nikon and the last one Tokina.

I am planning to go with Flipkart (WS Retail). Any suggestions for a retail store at Delhi will be helpful. I have had a good experience with Flipkart till now.

With 3 different lenses (in the bag) should I be looking at an extra body to meaningfully use these lenses? Also, need guidance with a good tripod. Thanks again.

Flipkart lenses are extremely over priced when compared to street prices. For comparison street prices with bill and warranty currently are 70-200 f4 IS at 75k, 85 1.8 at 26k and 100-400 at 100k.
Old 8th August 2014, 13:47   #13013
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows of a good deal regarding the Tamron 150-600mm Nikon mount?

And is the D810 available in India now, at a decent (simple USD to INR conversion) price?
Old 8th August 2014, 14:14   #13014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Flipkart lenses are extremely over priced when compared to street prices.
any specific shops ? The cheapest I have seen are with Anish G.
Old 8th August 2014, 14:39   #13015
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Flipkart lenses are extremely over priced when compared to street prices. For comparison street prices with bill and warranty currently are 70-200 f4 IS at 75k, 85 1.8 at 26k and 100-400 at 100k.
Any reference of a Delhi NCR store will be really helpful. I am planning to buy tomorrow. From what I read about flipkart not being authorized by Nikon has dissuaded me from going online for this.
Old 8th August 2014, 15:12   #13016
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, what you get on Amazon.in should be grey-market.,

Check for the warranty terms on each item page to get an idea.
Old 8th August 2014, 19:30   #13017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is with him. There was one specific shop near my area (well reputed), who was also selling at similar prices as him. The price for the 85mm f 1.8 with Anish was 26.7k, while at the shop was 26.5k.
Old 13th August 2014, 11:02   #13018
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, need your urgent suggestion & support.

About to buy an entry level DSLR with a budget of 30k. Preferably Nikon.
Right now narrowed at D5100 & D3200. Please let me know if I'm travelling on the right track.

Also I need to purchase it today (I'm travelling tomorrow evening) Please do let me know the right place to buy in Chennai (preferably around Tambaram, but good / reliable stores inside City is also OK)
Old 13th August 2014, 11:26   #13019
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Guys, need your urgent suggestion & support.

About to buy an entry level DSLR with a budget of 30k. Preferably Nikon.
Right now narrowed at D5100 & D3200. Please let me know if I'm travelling on the right track.

Also I need to purchase it today (I'm travelling tomorrow evening) Please do let me know the right place to buy in Chennai (preferably around Tambaram, but good / reliable stores inside City is also OK)
Go to the Smartshoppers store.
They usually have stock
Old 13th August 2014, 11:59   #13020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Go to the Smartshoppers store.
They usually have stock
Thanks tsk1979.

Visited their site and price seems higher when compared with other stores.
Anyone have hands on experience with them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks