Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 10:21   #12901
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
Thanks ani_meher and Aroy for your suggestions. My budget of Rs. 35k doesn't include prime. So does it makes sense to look at the D5200 or D3300? The D3300's price point is very compelling! How much would I lose with D3300 in terms of IQ compared to D5200 (or would I regret getting the D3300 compared to D5200 2 years down the line?)

Consider a used camera as well. You will save some money on the body, which can go for a better or an additional lens as well. Alternatively, you will end up with a better body for your money, than paying retail.

Right now, I have just got delivery of a used flash, Metz 52 AF 1. Seller was kind to bundle 4 Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries as well.
Old 25th June 2014, 11:00   #12902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
New DPP is coming out I hear?
Yes DPP4 is round the corner I hear. Last week I updated to the latest DPP versions.

Quote:
Capture NX2 is slightly better than View NX2, but it is more expensive than Lightroom. And I read that Lightroom is increasingly getting better in terms of capturing 'true' colours.
No idea about Capture NX. But yes I could see Apple losing steam with Aperture. They have stagnated totally. I had no choice but to change. Got a good deal for LR5 for Mac on Amazon. (Download version).

Quote:
I am looking forward to reading about the D810 (or whatever it is called). If I eventually buy the Tamron 150-600mm, then I would still get 600mm reach on a full frame. And the FPS seems to be good enough.
Not into this at all! The only zoom I have is the 70-200 F4 ISL. Literally been living through that lens. Lately I got the 100mm macro. Its been a joy with that lens. I remember Samurai mentioning macro photography is handwork, but if you get what you were looking for, its one of the most satisfying things. I live through it every day!

As far as body is concerned, I am contented with 550D that I have. Canon has not done any drastic updates to the prosumer level product line. All their enhancements have been geared to video. Hopefully the 7D MK-II would be a different story. It seems it would co-exist in price with 6D. So choice game them is between a FF (better noise performance) or a better APSC body.

Quote:
Will also have to buy a nice FX landscape lens.
Canon recently announced a 10-18 STM at half the price of the current 10-22 (which I use). Need to know, why such a drastic reduction in price.
Old 26th June 2014, 06:27   #12903
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Consider a used camera as well. You will save some money on the body, which can go for a better or an additional lens as well. Alternatively, you will end up with a better body for your money, than paying retail.

Right now, I have just got delivery of a used flash, Metz 52 AF 1. Seller was kind to bundle 4 Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries as well.
Are there any reliable places to buy a used one? I don't want to end with a defective or badly scratched lens etc. that I will discover much later.
Old 26th June 2014, 10:08   #12904
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any reliable places to buy a used one? I don't want to end with a defective or badly scratched lens etc. that I will discover much later.
Since you are apprehensive, browse the photography forums for India such as JJ Mehta. They have a section where people put up things for sale, and if you see something you like, in your geography, you can personally visit and check before you buy.

My last purchase was from a EU forum, since the flash I wanted is not yet here in India.

Also, check Olx and Quickr. You occasionally find gems you will not find anywhere else.
Old 26th June 2014, 10:13   #12905
BHPian

Quote:
Check out tapprs.com in Bangalore . It is a photography rental equipment in Bangalore . They have a paid service of verifying used cameras and equipment. You stay in Chennai , not sure how you can avail this service.
Old 26th June 2014, 10:23   #12906
Senior - BHPian

KRN have you been to a store and handled the DSLRs? This will clear your mind as to which model to go for. For me, the D5200 felt great in hand from the first moment. The rest of the DSLRs just didn't click it for me. You should go and do the same too, have a physical feel of the cameras.
Old 26th June 2014, 16:56   #12907
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
KRN have you been to a store and handled the DSLRs? This will clear your mind as to which model to go for. For me, the D5200 felt great in hand from the first moment. The rest of the DSLRs just didn't click it for me. You should go and do the same too, have a physical feel of the cameras.
Thanks. This is a great suggestion. I have clicked pics in Canon DSLRs, but not Nikon. Will try handling them this weekend in a store.
Old 28th June 2014, 23:28   #12908
Senior - BHPian

Am impressed with the Nikon D810 buffer and autofocus ( web research). If Capture NX2 support Is there for it, I am willing to buy the D810 and the Tamron 150-600. My D7100 is very nice, but the buffer sucks. Once, this leopard was coming down a tree in Satpura National Park, and I had to switch to jpeg to ensure that I got enough continuous shots. The IQ was sinply not good enough, given that I was shooting at ISO 1000+. I have stopped shooting jpeg now - and 2 yrs back I used to argue against shooting RAW. How perspectives change
Old 29th June 2014, 12:13   #12909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Am impressed with the Nikon D810 buffer and autofocus ( web research). If Capture NX2 support Is there for it, I am willing to buy the D810 and the Tamron 150-600. My D7100 is very nice, but the buffer sucks. Once, this leopard was coming down a tree in Satpura National Park, and I had to switch to jpeg to ensure that I got enough continuous shots. The IQ was sinply not good enough, given that I was shooting at ISO 1000+. I have stopped shooting jpeg now - and 2 yrs back I used to argue against shooting RAW. How perspectives change
Yes, shooting in RAW has a lot of advantages, unless you have nailed the jpeg perfectly. With modern DSLR - D3300, D5300 and D7100 you have a lot of DR to shoot at lower ISO and then adjust in post, and a continuous 4FPS is perfect speed most of time (speed vs buffer capacity).

I regularly try out ISO400 to ISO 1600 in my D3300, but unless the exposure is perfect (to the right), a lot of noise creeps in. I prefer to shoot at ISO 100/200 and then boost in post, the noise is more or less same
Old 29th June 2014, 20:43   #12910
BHPian

Having started with an enthusiast mirror-less camera like the NEX-6, I think it is time for me now to sell it and move on. I'm looking for something Full Frame and there seems to be not much offering from the mirror-less front. I have been using a Nikon D3200 with the 105mm f2.8 macro lens and I have been pretty much happy with that. So I'm thinking of getting a Nikon FX body. Currently, there seems to be two options available, the D610 and D810 which is yet to be available. Which one do you guys recommend. Following would be what I intend to use the camera for.

1. Portraits, Landscapes
2. Sports, Night shots of architectures

What I would be looking for is a good AF coverage with more AF points, easy to use, quick access to frequently used settings, very good to excellent VF.

I'm just pondering to look into one of these camera bodies. I'm not sure if i will take the plunge and buy it, but I would like to do some research on these two models. It might take some time for me to arrange the finances, but until then I want to do some homework and convince myself on the model that I wish to buy. So please help me with your suggestions.
Old 30th June 2014, 09:59   #12911
Senior - BHPian

So, i was in a class on portraits photography. Handouts included sales brochures.

For your view pleasure... complete lineup of Nikon lenses + current MRPs.

(Most expensive lens in this brochure is 800 5.6, it costs 13.6 lakh )

The DSLR Thread-nikon_lens_page1.jpg

The DSLR Thread-nikon_lens_page2.jpg
Old 30th June 2014, 11:37   #12912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Having started with an enthusiast mirror-less camera like the NEX-6, I think it is time for me now to sell it and move on. I'm looking for something Full Frame and there seems to be not much offering from the mirror-less front. I have been using a Nikon D3200 with the 105mm f2.8 macro lens and I have been pretty much happy with that. So I'm thinking of getting a Nikon FX body. Currently, there seems to be two options available, the D610 and D810 which is yet to be available. Which one do you guys recommend. Following would be what I intend to use the camera for.

1. Portraits, Landscapes
2. Sports, Night shots of architectures

What I would be looking for is a good AF coverage with more AF points, easy to use, quick access to frequently used settings, very good to excellent VF.

I'm just pondering to look into one of these camera bodies. I'm not sure if i will take the plunge and buy it, but I would like to do some research on these two models. It might take some time for me to arrange the finances, but until then I want to do some homework and convince myself on the model that I wish to buy. So please help me with your suggestions.
For high resolution D810 is the way to go. If you want fast AF and low light photography, then the D4/D4s is a much better solution.

http://photographylife.com/d800-vs-d...ht-long-lenses
http://www.digitalrev.com/article/ni.../MTAzNzgyMzM_A
http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?page_id=152
Old 30th June 2014, 16:26   #12913
BHPian

In case you missed it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...aits_arrivals/
Apple is reportedly ending development of its Aperture photo-tweaking software.

The iThing maker said on Friday, via The Loop, that it will be ending development of Aperture and, starting next year, migrating users to its Photos application.

Designed as a pro counterpart for iPhoto, Aperture was introduced in 2005. The application allows users to perform post-production edits on photos. The software, intended for advanced amateur and professional photographers, costs $79.99 on the App Store.

Apple unveiled an overhaul of its photo software at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, held in San Francisco earlier this month. The company said its Photos software will arrive later this year alongside the general release of iOS 8 and Yosemite, and will replace existing photo applications for both OS X and iOS devices.

Adobe wasted no time in seeking to pull customers away from the soon-to-be defunct Aperture camp. Shortly after the Loop report surfaced, the Photoshop maker published a blog post by digital imaging vice-president Winston Hendrickson, who touted the virtues of Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography software.

Hendrickson said the Photography Bundle includes Photoshop and Lightroom editing tools, and would support OS X, Windows and iOS devices
Old 30th June 2014, 22:25   #12914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For high resolution D810 is the way to go. If you want fast AF and low light photography, then the D4/D4s is a much better solution.

http://photographylife.com/d800-vs-d...ht-long-lenses
http://www.digitalrev.com/article/ni.../MTAzNzgyMzM_A
http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?page_id=152
High resolution is not a must for me. I'm happy with a 24 MP sensor, the only thing that I want is a good and fast AF. For the architectural shots during low light, I can perhaps compromise on the AF as I will mostly use the M mode and not use AF at all. I'm leaning more towards the D610, but not sure how the AF compares with that of D810.

A D4 is way out of my budget and I'm certainly not looking at it.
Old 30th June 2014, 23:43   #12915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
In case you missed it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...aits_arrivals/
Apple is reportedly ending development of its Aperture photo-tweaking software.

No wonder. This was in the books for quite some time. With no major overhauls and no feature additions, user base was at best saturating, if not thinning down.
I am happy I made the shift!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks