Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 16:30   #12916
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

This might be an off-topic post, but posting here since this thread is related to photography.

I and my wife completed our first anniversary recently. I'm planning to get a photobook done. Please recommend a good online photo book site.

I did some research and found Photojaanic to be better of the lot in terms of quality and pricing. Any other recommendations? My budget is max 2k. I plan on including about 100 photos in the photobook. I've decided to go with "8x11 Imagewrap Hard Cover" album. Is it good?
Old 1st July 2014, 17:00   #12917
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
I did some research and found Photojaanic to be better of the lot in terms of quality and pricing. Any other recommendations? My budget is max 2k. I plan on including about 100 photos in the photobook. I've decided to go with "8x11 Imagewrap Hard Cover" album. Is it good?
Try GK Vale.

http://print.gkvale.com/Photo-Books/

It works. You can make it online, order it online and it gets delivered.
Old 1st July 2014, 18:00   #12918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Try GK Vale.

http://print.gkvale.com/Photo-Books/

It works. You can make it online, order it online and it gets delivered.
Just checked out their website. They're not transparent in the pricing department in terms of the number of pages in the photobook. Zoomin and Photojaanic are very transparent in this regard.

Will call up GK Vale and check up on their pricing. Thanks for the info.
Old 1st July 2014, 19:26   #12919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just checked out their website. They're not transparent in the pricing department in terms of the number of pages in the photobook. Zoomin and Photojaanic are very transparent in this regard.
Yes they are expensive; I agree. They have a Layflat book version which is quiet. I got one printed for about 40-50 snaps. It costed about 2.5K. But I was quiet happy with the quality.
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:22   #12920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
High resolution is not a must for me. I'm happy with a 24 MP sensor, the only thing that I want is a good and fast AF. For the architectural shots during low light, I can perhaps compromise on the AF as I will mostly use the M mode and not use AF at all. I'm leaning more towards the D610, but not sure how the AF compares with that of D810.

A D4 is way out of my budget and I'm certainly not looking at it.
The D610 is at the bottom of the FF. If you can afford it, the D810 is what you should get. The AF is better than D610, and with a host of small changes including new processor, it is a better buy. With higher resolution, you have a lot of lee way both for cropping and for getting the extra resolution which will help while performing software geometric correction - keystone, perspective etc.
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:58   #12921
BHPian

Can anyone guide me how to go about learning more about the DSLR. I just got my Nikon D5200 last month but seemingly not able to make the most of it. Is there any learning centre in or around Delhi or should I just enrol in some online course? Checked the illuminati online course but am not sure how much an online course will benefit me.
thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:29   #12922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Is there any learning centre in or around Delhi
You can join a workshop from Nikon / Canon. This would give a basic idea in terms of utility of workshops for you. Workshop is usually for a day on weekend.

Basic workshops usually cover Composition + Exposure (Shutter/ISO/Aperture).

http://edge.canon.co.in/eosAcademy.aspx or
https://www.nikonschool.in/

From the participants, you can get pointers on other similar classes/workshops.
Old 3rd July 2014, 07:38   #12923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone guide me how to go about learning more about the DSLR. I just got my Nikon D5200 last month but seemingly not able to make the most of it. Is there any learning centre in or around Delhi or should I just enrol in some online course? Checked the illuminati online course but am not sure how much an online course will benefit me.
thanks
Read the manual, buy a book, practice. Rinse and repeat. Lot's of free resources on the net.
Old 3rd July 2014, 08:56   #12924
Senior - BHPian

Read books by Scott Kelby, also a book named 'Exposure'. Reading and practicing will get you far. Once you understand the concept of the 3 controls, Shutter speed, aperture and ISO, you can control your photos well.

I don't see any need for workshop, but to each his own. Maybe a good one can teach things fast.
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:56   #12925
BHPian

Thanks guys. Am already reading a lot of stuff on the net and reading the manual as well. I think i will practice a bit more with the information that I have already gathered. Will give myself another 2-3 months. If not satisfied then will opt for the workshop. Checked on the net. Nikon classes for basic course is just 250 bucks on sundays 09:30 to 01:30 noon. Might try it if needed. Thanks all!
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:11   #12926
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks guys. Am already reading a lot of stuff on the net and reading the manual as well. I think i will practice a bit more with the information that I have already gathered. Will give myself another 2-3 months. If not satisfied then will opt for the workshop. Checked on the net. Nikon classes for basic course is just 250 bucks on sundays 09:30 to 01:30 noon. Might try it if needed. Thanks all!
If you have a gang of like minded photo-snaping buffs, I would say go out every often. Share and learn is the fastest way. What you learn in a book or manual in 10 days you can find in one! I am not saying dont read the manual or books. But the live experience of seeing a snap NOT coming out well and then finding out the reason why; is the best way to learn. That way you would do it right the next time. So in the process, when you intend to find out what went wrong, you will end up reading. So basically you need both theory and labs!
Old 3rd July 2014, 14:18   #12927
BHPian

Quote:

I have been using zoomin for the last 2 years and the service and quality are excellent. They have a wide range of products and prices are good. Look out for discount offers which are quite frequent.
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:57   #12928
BHPian

Quote:
Jasmeet, congrats for your new DSLR! Bought it online?

I have attended the Basic Workshop 2 Months back and then 2 Amateur Level workshop after that. The Basic Level Workshop was worth as after the class you will be more familiar with Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, Exposure and so on..

It will be a great idea to attend Basic Level Workshop. Also you can watch the tutorials on you tube by Nikon School http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...mpYv0y0-UYBZxj

P.S. I am not associated with Nikon School, just a happy customer.

-
SS

Last edited by SaurabhSaran : 3rd July 2014 at 16:23.
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:16   #12929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
Jasmeet, congrats for your new DSLR! Bought it online?

I have attended the Basic Workshop 2 Months back and then 2 Amateur Level workshop after that. The Basic Level Workshop was worth as you after the class you will be more familiar with Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, Exposure and so on..

It will be a great idea to attend Basic Level Workshop. Also you can watch the tutorials on you tube by Nikon School http://www.Youtube.com/playlist?list...mpYv0y0-UYBZxj

P.S. I am not associated with Nikon School, just a happy customer.

-
SS
Will surely do that Saurabh. Thanks once again. Really appreciate it!
Old 4th July 2014, 18:10   #12930
Senior - BHPian

Nikon ML-L3 remote is available at Amazon at around 350rs, it generally retails at about 700rs. A great deal for Nikonites, original accessory at the price of a generic one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks