Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 12:01   #12871
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Before I start a debate, I am a Nikon shooter. I have the D70, D300 and recently got the D3300. Still that is no reason to evade reality.

The reason many professionals took to canon are many.
1. Canon had over a five year lead over Nikon in FF cameras. Nikon came late.
2. Canon professional services does a lot for professional photographers
- At any major event, there will be a Canon depot with spare cameras and exotic lenses. Any photographer subscribing to the services can get a fast replacement/loan equipment so that they are not stranded.
3. Though Canon has less DR and smaller MP, they were pretty good at high ISO, till the recent crop of Nikon bodies came.
4. Canon had the fastest burst rate till the Nikon D4S was introduced a few months ago. High burst rate is a basic requirement for sports photographers.
5. Canon Auto focus is more robust than that of Nikon
6. Canon has a lot more lense choice at the higher end. For example take the 400mm. Nikon has only one super expensive one F2.8. Canon has 3 - F4, F5.6 and F2.8. So you have more choice.
7. Canon "White" lenses were the first to have Fluorite elements. These reduced the weight of large lenses a lot. Nikon has just started to introduce fluorite elements.

In short Canon has supported the professional photographers to the hilt. Nikon never had that kind of support infrastructure. To a professional photographer support is all that matters.

Last edited by Aroy : 18th June 2014 at 12:04.
Old 18th June 2014, 19:56   #12872
BHPian

Recent got the Nikon D5300 with 18-55 kit and 50mm 1.8G. My father has a D60 and use to play around on that a little. But now I will really start to get into photography. Here are some pics that I clicked.

The DSLR Thread-10372067_867240049958940_7112710437018320427_n.jpg
All my Boxed goodies

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0054u.jpg
Some low light night photography

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0085xu.jpg
Just a sample subject

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0092xu.jpg
The clouds were looking good

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0097xu.jpg
Currently my desktop background

All of these are with the Prime lens. Have used Kit lenses earlier but never a Prime. Just love the amount of detail and color this lens captures. Still learning how Aperture affects the depth of field to get that "Bokeh"
Please feed backs on my photos. it doesn't have to be good, just feed back. If you want to give me tips, I'm all ears.
Old 18th June 2014, 20:07   #12873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
All of these are with the Prime lens. Have used Kit lenses earlier but never a Prime. Just love the amount of detail and color this lens captures. Still learning how Aperture affects the depth of field to get that "Bokeh"
Please feed backs on my photos. it doesn't have to be good, just feed back. If you want to give me tips, I'm all ears.
For Bokeh,

1. Shoot at 1.8 aperture for your Prime I.e. widest opening and lowest F number
2. Stay quite close to the subject
3. make sure background is far away
4. Had it been a Zoom lens, shoot at telescope end

E.g:

For a flower, compose the scene is a way that camera is close to flower and there is nothing for at least 2 - 3 meters in background.
Old 18th June 2014, 20:33   #12874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
lease feed backs on my photos. it doesn't have to be good, just feed back. If you want to give me tips, I'm all ears.
You can learn the "science" of photography. The art can only be felt to be learnt. Look at composition aspects of it in terms of how to frame a picture. Finally the image should be a blend of science and the art. Eg: Some I can think off based on what you posted:

- Focus on subject. No clutter
- One should be easily able to see the reason, why you wanted to take that photo.
- A moment/emotion that wants to be captured
- Thought processes on colour processing etc.
Old 19th June 2014, 07:25   #12875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
For Bokeh,

1. Shoot at 1.8 aperture for your Prime I.e. widest opening and lowest F number
2. Stay quite close to the subject
3. make sure background is far away
4. Had it been a Zoom lens, shoot at telescope end

E.g:

For a flower, compose the scene is a way that camera is close to flower and there is nothing for at least 2 - 3 meters in background.
I knew these things but its good to have them reassured. Will try them this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can learn the "science" of photography. The art can only be felt to be learnt. Look at composition aspects of it in terms of how to frame a picture. Finally the image should be a blend of science and the art. Eg: Some I can think off based on what you posted:

- Focus on subject. No clutter
- One should be easily able to see the reason, why you wanted to take that photo.
- A moment/emotion that wants to be captured
- Thought processes on colour processing etc.
Yes I agree about the sentiment attached part. But currently my emotions are only happy and excited.

Also, I finally tried Lightroom and I am IMPRESSED!! I spent 10 mins to do something with the RAW file and it turned out 10x better than my own work on its JPEG in PS.
Here are the results.

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0085u.jpg
Original

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0085xu.jpg
PS

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0085lxu.jpg
LR
Old 19th June 2014, 07:29   #12876
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes I agree about the sentiment attached part. But currently my emotions are only happy and excited.
Congrats and Happy learning. Try coverting RAW to Tiff in Nikon's own S/W and read that Tiff into Lightroom (LR). I think the colour rendering would be much better than LR reading the RAW directly.
Old 19th June 2014, 12:16   #12877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The reason many professionals took to canon are many
Agree with everything except the AF part. What makes you think so? Many folks said that the 1DX af was better than the D4's, but the D4S seens to have again taken the lead.

The D300 and D7100 have pretty good af capabilities compared to their Canon equivalents.
Old 19th June 2014, 12:30   #12878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Agree with everything except the AF part. What makes you think so? Many folks said that the 1DX af was better than the D4's, but the D4S seens to have again taken the lead.

The D300 and D7100 have pretty good af capabilities compared to their Canon equivalents.
I said that Canon had a better AF module, but now D4S seems to have a slight edge.
Old 19th June 2014, 14:17   #12879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I said that Canon had a better AF module, but now D4S seems to have a slight edge.
Each camera segment has a different AF module. For Nikon, the AF of D5200 is different from D7100, or D300, or D800, or D600, or D4S. Multicam 3500Dx, Advanced Multicam 3500DX, Multicam 3500FX etc. for the more advanced models.

That is why I feel one shouldn't make generic statements such as Canon vs Nikon. Best to compare same class of cameras. One can say the AF module of 7D is better/ worse than D300s (depending on one's bias lol), but not 'Canon has better/worse AF module than Nikon'. Because there is no one single module.
Old 19th June 2014, 16:20   #12880
Senior - BHPian

How do I get the LightRoom? Is it available for free for the older versions?
Old 19th June 2014, 16:53   #12881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
How do I get the LightRoom? Is it available for free for the older versions?
Do you have a student in your family (Any age, Pre-school to post-doc) ? IF you do you can get it for less with student pricing.
Old 19th June 2014, 17:13   #12882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have a student in your family (Any age, Pre-school to post-doc) ? IF you do you can get it for less with student pricing.
I have pre-school going daughter. How much difference does it make?
Old 19th June 2014, 17:15   #12883
Senior - BHPian

I was told by a sales rep at BestBuy that the student version does not have the same full suite of features that the normal version does. I am not sure whether it is true or not. But please do check.
Old 19th June 2014, 17:51   #12884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Student and Teachers Edition : 4.8k

Full Price : 9.5k

Student Version:

http://shop.adobe.com/store/adbestap...estap&Env=BASE

Full Version:

http://shop.adobe.com/store/adbehap/...oryID.56302300

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I was told by a sales rep at BestBuy that the student version does not have the same full suite of features that the normal version does. I am not sure whether it is true or not. But please do check.
I checked that while buying. Both are same in terms of functionality.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1306416
Old 19th June 2014, 18:31   #12885
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Guys, Keep checking Amazon US Pricing for downloadable versions of LR (Windows or Mac). In between they had a deal for 80$ for the downloadable version (windows or mac). But that was applicable for US billing address. If you have friends in US, change your billing address and it works. And this is full professional version (not the student one).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks