Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 11:45   #13561
Team-BHP Support

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Guys, can you suggest a cheap and best tripod for my Canon 600D?
If you are looking for a tripod, look for sturdy ones. I wont suggest a cheaper one and risk your equipment fall off.

Last edited by ampere : 31st March 2015 at 11:57.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:46   #13562
BHPian

Re: Nikkor 55-200

Folks,
Was on the lookout for a long lens for my D5100 and just found out that Nikon has released updated version of the 55-200 called VR2. Any updates on this lens? I cant seem to find it on sale on any of the sites.
http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product...89544215158117
Old 31st March 2015, 12:15   #13563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are looking for a tripod, look for sturdy ones. I wont suggest a cheaper one and risk your equipment fall off.
By cheap and best, I did not mean something which will be unstable
I have no experience about this..please suggest a few decent ones.
Old 31st March 2015, 12:22   #13564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why buy cheap when a good one can last you a life time? Unlike cameras, tripods can last forever.

I bought a Manfrotto 190DB tripod with 486RC2 head in 2005. It is always in my car/Jeep, bouncing on every bad road I have taken in 10 years. It is still as sturdy as it was when I bought it.
Old 31st March 2015, 12:29   #13565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As Samurai said, I did not mean "cheap" stuff. You get tripods for 2000/ and also for 20K. I just meant buy some thing in the 15-20k range. As Samurai said it will last a lifetime. Just wanted to set a perspective for the budget you have in mind. Also note tripod alone is not enough. If you are getting into serious photography like macros, you will also need a good ball head. And ball heads also cost a fortune starting from 5-6K for the basic one.

As regards to flast 430 EX II is about 15-18K. Worth a buy. Because you can get very good portraits without use of costly glass. (I referred to portraits, because I only use flash from that point of view). Its a very good buy.

Last edited by ampere : 31st March 2015 at 12:33.
Old 31st March 2015, 13:04   #13566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, I have never used external flash. Whenever I have used the built-in flash, I don't like the results. Do you guys suggest buying an external flash? I guess I need to learn a lot about flash photography!
Never buy an inexpensive tripod. You will end up buying an expensive one later. Manfrotto makes some of the better ones. Here is the updated model of what I use. Been with me for more than 10 years.

http://www.amazon.in/Manfrotto-MT055...55xprob+tripod

Apart from the tripod, invest in a robust ball head.
http://www.amazon.in/Manfrotto-498RC...otto+ball+head
is a reasonable head, but if you can afford it, get this one
http://www.amazon.in/Manfrotto-468MG...otto+ball+head

The pair will last you a life time and are sturdy enough to support heavy bod and heavy lenses.
Old 31st March 2015, 20:48   #13567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm deliberately omitting the Rs 800-2000 featherweight (junk) tripods we tend to get in online stores and some retailers as well.

Depending on your budget here's how I'd classify tripod brands going from Medium price upwards:

Medium Price (Chinese/Taiwanese):
a) Benro
b) Sirui
c) Vanguard

Medium-High (European/British):
a) Manfrotto
b) Three Legged Thing (online orders only)

High End (European/US)
a) Really Right Stuff
b) Gitzo

High end tripods can get VERY expensive. Stay away.

I would say you should give serious consideration to Benro, Sirui, Vanguard, or Manfrotto. All are available online and at local retailers. Get a good quality tripod that costs about 15K and match it to a good quality (read Manfrotto, Sirui, Benro) ball head with a quick release plate + clamp.

My choice is Manfrotto in the medium price category. Don't compromise too much. Believe me, a tripod that topples over and takes your precious kit with it is a heart breaking experience. Plus shaky/flimsy ones wont do your pics an ounce of good.
Old 31st March 2015, 21:16   #13568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Get a good quality tripod that costs about 15K and match it to a good quality (read Manfrotto, Sirui, Benro) ball head with a quick release plate + clamp.
I got an Acratech GP-s to go with my Manfrotto 055CXPRO3. Really impressed with the ball head. Amazing precision.

Last edited by ampere : 31st March 2015 at 21:19.
Old 31st March 2015, 21:22   #13569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got an Acratech GP-s to go with my Manfrotto 055CXPRO3. Really impressed with the ball head. Amazing precision.
That's a very good BH and tripod. But it would probably be out of the OP's budget. The BH and CF tripod (I had the CX4 version) would probably fall in the medium-high end category.

But seriously, one of my favourite ball heads remains the Manfrotto 468MG. Just cannot bring myself to sell it off even if it has a proprietary clamp/plate when I have 'migrated' to the Arca Swiss format.

Last edited by R2D2 : 31st March 2015 at 21:24.
Old 31st March 2015, 21:43   #13570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's a very good BH and tripod. But it would probably be out of the OP's budget. The BH and CF tripod (I had the CX4 version) would probably fall in the medium-high end category.

But seriously, one of my favourite ball heads remains the Manfrotto 468MG. Just cannot bring myself to sell it off even if it has a proprietary clamp/plate when I have 'migrated' to the Arca Swiss format.
Of course way beyond the range. But I am realized the importance of both the elements of the combination once I started with macros.
Old 31st March 2015, 21:50   #13571
Senior - BHPian

^^

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I never expected a tripod to be so costly. And frankly, I was not aware of the thing called ball head. I definitely need to reset my budget in that case or else, postpone buying one till I have enough budget.

Currently, this is what I have -
Canon 600D + 18-55 + 55-250 + 50 mm

My 1st priority was to replace the kit lens with a better quality one with a better sharpness, faster aperture and focusing. (considering 15-85 from Canon and 17-70 from Sigma).

2nd priority was to get a tripod and 3rd a flashlight.

Looks like at this point of time I can get only one.
Which one do you suggest? Do you think the order of priority is correct or should I get the tripod first?
Old 31st March 2015, 22:50   #13572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looks like at this point of time I can get only one.
Which one do you suggest? Do you think the order of priority is correct or should I get the tripod first?
I would suggest:
- First Update glass to 24-105. (Yes I would say take the budget hit) I went in stages year by year. Y1 : 70-200, Y2: 10-22, Y3 : 100mm macro, Y4: Extra gear. like tripods etc.
- Second get flash for interior portraits. Thats where it comes in handy.
- Lastly look for tripods/ball heads. Because where are they used maximum? For low light landscapes, long exposures, macros etc.

Take that as later stage. I got a good tripod and ball head in stages. Also I got into that mode, only after I started taking macros. For most out doors I rely on hand held means. It also helps for early or evening landscapes. You should also get a good travelling bag. A low pro which can carry lots of stuff. A 5K investment will help you in a long way.

PS: In my case I paid more for the ball head than the tripod!

Last edited by ampere : 31st March 2015 at 22:54.
Old 31st March 2015, 22:54   #13573
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the toss-up between flash & tripod:

In low light, you can possibly substitute the tripod by keeping the camera on something. But you cant substitute the functionality of a flash ..
Old 1st April 2015, 07:46   #13574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As regards to flast 430 EX II is about 15-18K. Worth a buy.
Have you tried non-banded flash or do you have an opinion? With TTL + wireless compatibility and 10k pricing, these do look interesting.
Old 1st April 2015, 07:56   #13575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Have you tried non-banded flash or do you have an opinion? With TTL + wireless compatibility and 10k pricing, these do look interesting.
No. I have the regular Canon flash. 430 EXII. Got it here in Bangalore from the regular dealer at about 14-16K (I think). It was almost a year back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks