Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 02:32   #13801
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
75mm Summilux, 50mm Canon 0.95, Sonys 35mm, and the zeiss unbelievable 135mm APO lens.
quite a variety of lenses from different lens brands and excellent choice. I wish to know how you choose the lens, lens brand for any specific use, how did you compare similar lenses from different brands before plunging, what qualities makes you choose a lens? construction, lens glass, image stabilization, motor, simply brand, cost (may not be)? what matters most to you?
Old 18th September 2015, 16:46   #13802
Senior - BHPian

Can I work on depth of field when post processing pictures? Does the RAW image contain that kind of data or is that only doable when shooting subjects?
Old 18th September 2015, 17:37   #13803
Distinguished - BHPian

Initial feedback from owners of the new Nikon 200-500 are very encouraging. Look at these pics from a Jap site:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...l/064.jpg.html

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...l/066.jpg.html

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...l/078.jpg.html

One guy on DPR has even sold off his Nikon 500 F/4 FL. So pleased is he with the zoom lens.

You wont get top notch build quality, super fast AF for BIF or the highest level of IQ but heck, for $1400 how much more IQ can you expect?
Old 18th September 2015, 18:17   #13804
BHPian

How many of you prefer the OEM batteries for your DSLRs, and how may go for the 1/5th priced Chinese imports (branded or otherwise), what are your observations? Do share.
Old 18th September 2015, 18:44   #13805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
How many of you prefer the OEM batteries for your DSLRs, and how may go for the 1/5th priced Chinese imports (branded or otherwise), what are your observations? Do share.
I'd never use a 3rd party battery in my DSLR, although many people do and have had good experiences with them. IMO, compared to the cost of a DSLR a battery is a very minor investment. For e.g. a D8xx costs about 1.7 L, while the EN EL 15 battery is about 3,000. The D4/s battery is Rs 8K, while the body is about 3.6-3.7L. Do you really want to put an expensive camera at risk?

Just my thoughts.
Old 18th September 2015, 19:31   #13806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Can I work on depth of field when post processing pictures? Does the RAW image contain that kind of data or is that only doable when shooting subjects?
I dont think so. Raw images contain lot other data but I dont think it has DoF details.

Quote:
Technically not a Chinese import, but I do have a third party battery from DSTE technology purchased from Amazon US. Yes, it is Made in China. It has a higher rating (1600 mAH compared the 1030 mAH that the OEM Nikon has). Picked it up over other options both for the rating and also the reviews which gave it a 4.5 stars.

I do have a spare OEM battery also.

OEM would still be best bet

Last edited by condor : 18th September 2015 at 19:50.
Old 18th September 2015, 19:37   #13807
Senior - BHPian

Some questions here...makes me wonder if people ever Google to find info.

@R2D2..yes, I have been keeping track regarding the Nikon 200-500mm. Waiting for Brad Hill to compare with the Sigma 150-500mm S. He is a renowned Canadian wildlife photographer and loves the Sigma.

Re: Chinese batteries - why would you risk your camera taking a nap at a critical moment?
Old 18th September 2015, 19:47   #13808
Senior - BHPian

Wasabi is a popular brand of third party batteries. From reports by users it is VFM, but it does not last as much as the Nikon/Canon battery. All Wasabi users keep a few spares any way.
Old 18th September 2015, 22:51   #13809
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah I just edited my post as I had read about the same. So I guess that's the only way, hmm, thanks!

Now the other limitation of the equipment that I encountered during my latest trip. There was so much to shoot, so much to cover but without a wide angle lens I was left at the mercy of my gopro. Gopro shot some amazing video and at 60fps I can take a pic from the best frame but before I indulge in another lens I have a dilemma.

So far I haven't really encountered any other limitation, I think I have a fair understanding of the different settings, have been able to successfully experiment with the Manual mode and got some amazing night/evening shots when Auto was only giving me high ISO pics. So what's the most recommended next step, buy another lens? If yes, which one?

Now there are prime lenses also that I read about. Is there a combination of prime & wide angle lens?

I'm not a fan of zoom lenses as I don't wish to capture birds/animals or moon shots. So where should I start looking?

Lastly, should I be considering getting rid of my 550D and getting an EVIL camera instead? They do everything that a DSLR does and are less bulky. Since I haven't invested in DSLR lenses yet, should I think about going the EVIL way?

For videos I've got GoPro so still images is what I'm interested in, be it from EVIL or DSLR.
You can use the least exposure and max aperture (meaning higher f number like f/32, f/22..so on) to compensate for more available light and edit the pic later in Lightroom or Photoshop. If that is not enough invest in a "variable ND filter". You can get these in all kind of price ranges. I have a B+W 77mm filter and like it a lot. You also should look at "Slide in" type ND filters if you do a lot of Landscape work. Start with a Cokin or get the Lee kit if you don't mind spending more money.

Talking about lenses for canon I liked the Canon 10-22mm very much. Excellent optics and awesome flare control. You can use all kinds of filters with it. There is Tokina 11-16 f2.8 lens which is also well reviewed and cheaper than the canon. The new canon 10-18 has "IS" and "STM" and is one of the cheapest wide angles you can get.

Lastly comparing the DSLR's to Mirrorless cameras I think DSLR still wins. No doubt there are really good mirrorless options but they are expensive and getting good lenses for them are even more expensive than the cameras. A wide angle lens from Panasonic like the 7-14mm is close to 800$. So far I have not figured out a nicer setup in the mirrorless line than a DSLR that offers a the same picture quality/features for the money spent.
Old 18th September 2015, 23:50   #13810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought a chinese knockoff for my EOS500D from DX.com on the very first week of the purchase. It is as reliable - gets used more actually but gives about the same backup as OEM, even six years after purchase.

Of course, YMMV heavily.
Old 18th September 2015, 23:57   #13811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not with mainstream cameras. There are some cameras that retain angle of light (along with magnitude of light) in RAW. With these, it is possible to adjust focus and aperture in post.

https://www.lytro.com/illum/
Old 19th September 2015, 02:38   #13812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then tell me, why use a prime lens at all. Why wouldn't one get a lens with varied focal length than just ONE focal length?
Mostly the speed. If you have seen a 85mm F1.2 lens from Canon you will realise how big the lens is. The amount of glass needed to create that bright a scene is huge. Building a fast lens that will help you freeze action in low light takes both size and cost.

Secondly the DOF. What you can achieve with a prime lens on DOF cannot be exactly matched with a zoom lens. On the other hand on portraits sometimes the longer focal length works.

There is one fast lens that was made which was the "sigzilla". This is a 200-500 F2.8 Lens which can be considered as a prime from 200mm all the way to 500mm.

http://petapixel.com/2012/10/17/a-li...-sigzilla-fun/

This is the size of the lens that is required to get a fast zoom lens. Imagine creating a F1.4 lens of this focal length. We need a tank to carry the lens around.

Prime to me teaches you photography. You are now restricted with a focal length and you have to change the way you take picture including composition.

I got my frist camera as a 20D with a 50mm F1.8 lens. I got my next lens only after almost 1.5 years which meant i did majority of my learning through one lens and it helped me move, compose, use DOF in realistic way than theoritical. I have tried zooms, except the 120-300 Sigma and Canon 70-200 (and the sigma 12-24) i didnt like any other zoom combination.

Quote:
Quite a variety of lenses from different lens brands and excellent choice. I wish to know how you choose the lens, lens brand for any specific use, how did you compare similar lenses from different brands before plunging, what qualities makes you choose a lens? construction, lens glass, image stabilization, motor, simply brand, cost (may not be)? what matters most to you?
I can say i went through a phase. I worshipped and still worship the Canon 85mm F1.2 till day. But post a point character from a lens is what i went after. I am not restricted by AF, IS, MOTOR, Construction, fame, etc. Instead I like to see what the image looks like and on my 60 inch tv that too

I have very interesting lenses. For my Fuji i have a 18 dollar Fujiyan 35mm Lens. The lens is slightly bigger than the amurthanjan balm case. But takes wonderful 35mm images. Similarly i have a lens that is so small yet 50mm which works on the Fuji with a converter at 50mm.

I am attaching few pictures from the 50mm and 75mm. From the DOF, clarity to the oof rendering, its something special for me. The picture should feel special without me photoshopping.

Few images attached.

I used to have so many gears but now i am understanding that i am mostly a 35 -85mm guy. I want to add one wide angle and after years of chasing best gear, i am no thinking gazillion times before buying another lens or camera body.

And i am shooting with the most uncomfortable body i have every used, the fuji X-E2 having owned a 1d series for quite sometime.

Quote:
I have used imports as early as from 20D in 2005 till date. I have never faced any issues or concerns with the camera or the batteyr.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-17325076631_f2f059d717_k.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-16869211414_1cf3cfc870_z.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-16869259254_c66f516e46_k.jpg  

Old 19th September 2015, 22:28   #13813
BHPian

Quote:
I've used a brand called Sterlingtek. They were ok and I didn't really have any problems with it. I wont expect it to last as long as a Canon battery. For the price its a good backup.
Old 20th September 2015, 14:43   #13814
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
I've used a brand called Sterlingtek. They were ok and I didn't really have any problems with it. I wont expect it to last as long as a Canon battery. For the price its a good backup.
Sterlingtek is a good brand. When a customer pointed out that they were over-reporting their capacity, they apologized and then started posting lower capacity. Their Chinese vendor was misrepresenting
Old 20th September 2015, 21:31   #13815
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of the answers regarding 3rd party batteries have me puzzled. So, reliability, compatibility, warranty & safety have no value for camera owners when it (an OEM battery) is available for a tiny fraction of the cost of a camera body? The only thing that drives a purchase is a lower price?

PS - No offence meant to anybody.

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th September 2015 at 21:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks