Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2016, 21:19   #13966
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
So just wanted to know whether it is worth repairing at all. But the photos with this lens are quite good, although I am no expert in photography. Will clean both the contacts as you have suggested. Thanks a lot for the help.
Thats a fantastic lens for the price. Its slow yet can take wonderful pictures. With some simple adapters, extension tubes and close up lens the lens takes exceptional pictures of various subjects.

My advice is give it for inspection and see how much damage (wrt to money) you have to go through. If its less than a grand, just get it repaired. if its more than that, manage with MF while you can save up and get a faster a lens as a proper upgrade.
Old 19th February 2016, 23:58   #13967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Canon EOS 80D announced:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/927...-canon-eos-80d

A nice mid range Canon upgrade to 70D. Dual Pixel AF, 45 point X-type, mirror vibration control and sensor up to 24MP.
Seems to have a new sensor, with better DR. Read somewhere on DPReview that Canon has started/will be using their new sensor manufacturing plant.

How is the 7D Mk2 doing? Started shooting action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
There is a new FF from Pentax, the K1 which is priced well below 2K and is looking very attractive. And the 7D Mark II prices are not too high in used market making this a no brainer to not upgrade.

New buyer has plethora of options. I am willing to bet on lower sales number in 6 months compared to other offerings.
The Pentax is interesting, but it is an exotic species. The camera might be good, the system can't compete with Canikon. Given that the DSLR market is shrinking, and that players might exit (e.g. Samsung), it is not a good idea to commit to a 'fringe player' DSLR system.

Btw, I am reading on DPReview (initial impressions of folks who have been attending the launch events) that the new Nikon sensors (on D500, D5) are rather good. Probably Nikon knew that Canon is upping its sensor tech/IQ, so made a big effort.

--------------------
Was looking at a few old photos, the D7100 has done yeoman duty, even with the 18-105mm and the 70-300mm. But within the next few months I am planning to dump her and move on to someone younger and prettier.

All shots taken > 2 years back, reprocessed recently. First one taken with 18-105, the last 3 with 70-300mm VR.

Fishermen at dusk, Irai Lake, Tadoba
The DSLR Thread-dsc_1485.jpg

Chameleon crossing a hill road, near Pachmarhi in MP
The DSLR Thread-dsc_3879.jpg

Muniyas, Satpura National Park
The DSLR Thread-dsc_6057.jpg

Snake caught from a resort room in Satpura
The DSLR Thread-dsc_5922.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 20th February 2016 at 00:02.
Old 20th February 2016, 22:20   #13968
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
How is the 7D Mk2 doing? Started shooting action?
Still not in my hands yet. Should be getting by end of the month. Meanwhile I am still learning to get the use of right lens between 24-105/70-200 and 100mm. Hopefully it should turn into a 2 lens problem.
Old 25th February 2016, 17:02   #13969
BHPian

I have a 7d with 28-135mm & 50mm f1.8. Being APS-C (cropped) sensor body, i have always found it difficult to click wide angled landscape pics. I have never tried to stitch pictures together

Recently i got the 10-18mm to overcome this issue. Has anyone used this lens? Reviews or feedback for this lens?

Vipin
Old 25th February 2016, 18:12   #13970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampirevipin View Post
I have a 7d with 28-135mm & 50mm f1.8. Being APS-C (cropped) sensor body, i have always found it difficult to click wide angled landscape pics. I have never tried to stitch pictures together

Recently i got the 10-18mm to overcome this issue. Has anyone used this lens? Reviews or feedback for this lens?

Vipin
I have been using the 10-18 mm with my humble 1000d for while now.
Can say its a good lense for the cost.

But,do not expect the quality like the 10-22mm 'L' lense.
Old 25th February 2016, 20:56   #13971
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
But,do not expect the quality like the 10-22mm 'L' lense.
10-22 is not an L series. In fact its only an EF-S mount lens. But yes its a very good one. However the real L series is the 16-35 F4.
Old 25th February 2016, 22:18   #13972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampirevipin View Post

Vipin

10-18 is brilliant lens for the price. Only -ve is that it is not very good in low light conditions. After I bought it some 6 months back, it has been on my camera most of the time.
Old 25th February 2016, 22:30   #13973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10-22 is not an L series. In fact its only an EF-S mount lens. But yes its a very good one. However the real L series is the 16-35 F4.
The 10-18 is a fantastic lens for the price and size. Now the cheapest of best options are the 16-35 F2.8 in used market or the much better and legendary 14-24 Nikon with an adapter.

But you wont go much wrong with any of these when you are shooting landscape. You shoot at closed apertures and hardly shoot at fast apertures and you anyway need ND and other filters for some landscape and slower shutter speed.

I picked up the stunning 20mm F1.4 from Sigma and i am loving it. It was 50% cost of the L lens and yet its better than L in many aspect. I will write a review here for those who are interested.
Old 25th February 2016, 22:52   #13974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile I am still learning to get the use of right lens between 24-105/70-200 and 100mm. Hopefully it should turn into a 2 lens problem.
Me thinks you should stop the 24-105 vs 70-200 debate and just focus on the shooting ! The two are neither overlapping sufficiently nor exclusive. Making it hard to give up either and hard to keep both. You already have the lenses in hand, so just go out and use them ! May be one on each body ?
Old 26th February 2016, 12:32   #13975
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, my mistake.
But however, the quality and flexibility is almost at par with L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
10-18 is brilliant lens for the price. Only -ve is that it is not very good in low light conditions. After I bought it some 6 months back, it has been on my camera most of the time.
Have many night shots. Its wonderful, especially with the light trails. You get really long ones. Also the moving clouds effect looks mesmerising.

Personally love the lense and usually use it for long exposures and night shots.
I have also got myself ND8 and a set of graduated filters.
Old 26th February 2016, 16:49   #13976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Sorry, my mistake.
But however, the quality and flexibility is almost at par with L.

Have many night shots. Its wonderful, especially with the light trails. You get really long ones. Also the moving clouds effect looks mesmerising.

Personally love the lense and usually use it for long exposures and night shots.
I have also got myself ND8 and a set of graduated filters.
personally I found it lacking the bigger aperture many times for early morning and late evening shoot. switching on-body flash is not an option as it gives black edges due to ultra wide lens. I know it is really ultra wide so can not be used as all go to lens but I would have loved it more if it had more aperture.

I haven't tried night photography. can you please share some of your snaps. will be good for me to learn.
Old 29th February 2016, 00:18   #13977
BHPian

I am leaning towards buying Nikon D3300 based on the online reviews for the entry level DSLR.

I know that I will get unbiased views here at TBHP. Would appreciate your views on the following questions from a dslr newbie:

- Any other DSLR that you would rather recommend?
- It comes with 18-55 lens. Should I opt for other lens at this time?
- It is available at 23,990 at Amazon/Flipkart. I guess the warranty would be valid even if purchased through these online portals?
- Do you recommend any other site for this purchase?
- Any other suggestions on usage or maintenance?

Thanks much.
Old 29th February 2016, 11:07   #13978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
I am leaning towards buying Nikon D3300 based on the online reviews for the entry level DSLR.

I know that I will get unbiased views here at TBHP. Would appreciate your views on the following questions from a dslr newbie:

- Any other DSLR that you would rather recommend?
- It comes with 18-55 lens. Should I opt for other lens at this time?
- It is available at 23,990 at Amazon/Flipkart. I guess the warranty would be valid even if purchased through these online portals?
- Do you recommend any other site for this purchase?
- Any other suggestions on usage or maintenance?

Thanks much.
Go for it. I bought one two years ago. The kit 18-55 is a fantastic lens so do not forgo it. If you need good low light capability and decent OOF, then get the 35mm F1.8DX also.

Amazon is generally the expediter, the seller will be an authorized Nikon Dealer/reseller. Once you get the camera, register both the body and the lens with Nikon India. Though I bought mine from Flipkart, Amazon has better after sales policies with no question asked returns.

Do get Hoya 52mm UV filters one for each lens. They are relatively inexpensive and you can take them off and wash the accumulated dirt/fingerprints (which you cannot do with the lens front element). Again check on all three sites for lowest cost.

As you wait for the camera, do download the Nikon Capture NX-D. It is a RAW file processor. Get used to it. Shoot RAW to get the best from your camera. Avoid using Auto mode, used A or S instead with ISO at 100 most of the time.
Old 29th February 2016, 13:45   #13979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Go for it. I bought one two years ago. The kit 18-55 is a fantastic lens so do not forgo it. If you need good low light capability and decent OOF, then get the 35mm F1.8DX also.

Do get Hoya 52mm UV filters one for each lens.

As you wait for the camera, do download the Nikon Capture NX-D. It is a RAW file processor. Get used to it. Shoot RAW to get the best from your camera.
Thanks Aroy for the response and very useful tips. This is what makes TBHP a great place. I will certainly check out filter and the software.

Search for the Hoya filter returned these: Link 1 / Link 2.

While searching the filter, I also came across lens hood. Is it recommended to get lens hood too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Avoid using Auto mode, used A or S instead with ISO at 100 most of the time.
Pardon my ignorance. Where can I get the details about A or S mode? As you can see, I am clueless. I am looking for pointers or a quick primer on using DSLR.

Thanks again.
Old 29th February 2016, 18:20   #13980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
Thanks Aroy for the response and very useful tips. This is what makes TBHP a great place. I will certainly check out filter and the software.

Search for the Hoya filter returned these: Link 1 / Link 2.

While searching the filter, I also came across lens hood. Is it recommended to get lens hood too?

Pardon my ignorance. Where can I get the details about A or S mode? As you can see, I am clueless. I am looking for pointers or a quick primer on using DSLR.

Thanks again.
1. Same filter different prices, this is what is so nice about e-commerce, you just get the one which has lower price.

2. Lens hood is not absolutely necessary for the kit lens, you can skip it.

3. Read up, especially tutorials on the "Exposure Triangle" as well as on "Aperture Priority" and "Shutter Priority" shooting modes. There are hundreds of tutorials floating about.

As the software is free, I would suggest that you download, install and go through tutorials of Nikon Capture NX-D even before you decide to buy. It will give you a head start.
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/micr...enxd/download/

also download and install view NX-i
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.co...oad/sw/29.html
This will install all the necessary drivers as well as Nikon Movie Editing Software.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks