Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2008, 17:22   #196
Senior - BHPian

i do not know your budget DVR. It depends a lot on where you are buying from. if you are getting it from US, try Amazon. In India try Bsbazzar or JJmetha. 450D with a kit lens is around 650$.
jjmehta .com , Digital Camera , Digital SLR , Video Camera , Apple iPod , Western Digital, Sandisk

Last edited by SkyWalker : 13th December 2008 at 17:24.
Old 13th December 2008, 18:23   #197
Senior - BHPian

No talk about the Digital Hasselblad?
Old 14th December 2008, 05:46   #198
BHPian

Hi Fellas,

I purchased Canon Rebel Digital XSI EOS 450D 12.2 Mega Pixel body with:

1. Canon - EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto zoom lens
2. Precision - 3 piece Filter kit (coated)
3. Secure - digital media (SD) writer/reader high speed
4. Digital - 5 Piece cleaning kit
5. Digital - LCD screen protector
6. Targus - 42" fluid head triod with case
7. Dane - 2Gb secure digital memory card
8. Digital - Holster case for SLR cameras
9. LP-E5 rechargable battery

with all kinds of required connectors, cables etc.

for a price of US $913.

Was it a good deal?? And I do not know where I am going to use and I do not know how to use a DSLR yet!!!
Old 14th December 2008, 13:30   #199
Senior - BHPian

Seems to be a good buy, but if you bought it in US then the warranty is not supported in India. Secondly why did you buy this when you don't know how to...

Lastly wouldn't it have been better if you had gone for the IS version of this telezoom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Hi Fellas,

I purchased Canon Rebel Digital XSI EOS 450D 12.2 Mega Pixel body with:

1. Canon - EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto zoom lens
2. Precision - 3 piece Filter kit (coated)
3. Secure - digital media (SD) writer/reader high speed
4. Digital - 5 Piece cleaning kit
5. Digital - LCD screen protector
6. Targus - 42" fluid head triod with case
7. Dane - 2Gb secure digital memory card
8. Digital - Holster case for SLR cameras
9. LP-E5 rechargable battery

with all kinds of required connectors, cables etc.

for a price of US $913.

Was it a good deal?? And I do not know where I am going to use and I do not know how to use a DSLR yet!!!
Old 14th December 2008, 19:49   #200
BHPian

A short review of 85 f/1.2 L

Heehee... managed to get my hands on one of these beast at canon store in brigade towers.

The lens has a humongous front element. Played around a little inside the store on my 30d mostly at f/1.2. An extremely quick verdict....

Impressive resolution at wide open aperture.
Impressive bokeh.
Ugly CA at wide open.
Razor thin DOF at 1.2. Needs loads and loads of practice.

Following pics are taken at iso 200, at f/1.2 at shutter speed around 1/60 to 1/100. It was a pretty dim indoor lighting. I have just resized/cropped them using dpp and posted here. This doll was approx 4-5 inch tall.

The DSLR Thread-img_5160.jpg
The DSLR Thread-img_5162.jpg

Following are 100% crop from the second pic...
The DSLR Thread-img_5162_crop_1.jpg

Ugly CA...
The DSLR Thread-img_5162_crop_2.jpg
The DSLR Thread-img_5162_crop_3.jpg

So what is the cost? 1.3Lkh MSRP. Run....

Last edited by gkrishn : 14th December 2008 at 19:53.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:29   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Seems to be a good buy, but if you bought it in US then the warranty is not supported in India. Secondly why did you buy this when you don't know how to...

Lastly wouldn't it have been better if you had gone for the IS version of this telezoom?
Yup. I bought it in US. . .I know the warranty is only valid here, hope it doesn't need warranty in near future (Optimism at it's best!). Unless I start some where, how do I learn?? he he he . It was my long time dream to own a nice camera and I thought why not buy a good one since I do not get to buy these gadgets often.

I am going to buy 18-55mm IS lens in few days. Hope this will make a better package to start with. Once I learn the nitty gritties of DSLR photography, I may add many other accessories including different lenses, flashes etc. I am going to bug the forum buddies in coming days, so be prepared to get bugged

Wish me luck!
Old 14th December 2008, 23:49   #202
BHPian

Little difference but its there

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
How does the 2.7MP/cm2 of D60 stand against D40's 1.6MP/cm2.
If D40 gets phased out , then between D60 and canon's 1000d ,which could be better?
I remember like D40, D60 too doesn't have DOF preview.
The D60 might walk into the shoes of the D40 but not in the forseable future. If they make the sensor size bigger keeping the megapixels the same then I would recommend the D60 camera but as of today there is no competitor for the D40 even in the Nikon fold. No camera costing even double of what you would pay for the D40 comes even close if picture quality is what you are after.
Since the guys at Nikon know the truth about megapixels and surely know which is better; even if makes them less profit I am sure they would not stop the D40 production until they bring out an alternative which they do not have at the moment.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 14th December 2008 at 23:59.
Old 15th December 2008, 01:28   #203
Senior - BHPian

Hey were you the person in the afternoon around 3pm'ish? I was there too with a friend . I had the same opinion about the 85 1.2. CA, very very thin DOF and slooooow focussing.

I'd buy the 100 macro over it anyday for one quarter the price. Way way more resolution, creamy smooth bokeh and much closer focussing distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Heehee... managed to get my hands on one of these beast at canon store in brigade towers.

The lens has a humongous front element. Played around a little inside the store on my 30d mostly at f/1.2. An extremely quick verdict....

Impressive resolution at wide open aperture.
Impressive bokeh.
Ugly CA at wide open.
Razor thin DOF at 1.2. Needs loads and loads of practice.

Following pics are taken at iso 200, at f/1.2 at shutter speed around 1/60 to 1/100. It was a pretty dim indoor lighting. I have just resized/cropped them using dpp and posted here. This doll was approx 4-5 inch tall.

So what is the cost? 1.3Lkh MSRP. Run....
Old 15th December 2008, 08:17   #204
Senior - BHPian

@gkrishn wow, an f/1.2L. To me its one of those things i hear about, but never use. consider yourself lucky :(
Old 15th December 2008, 10:27   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Hey were you the person in the afternoon around 3pm'ish? I was there too with a friend .
... Yes at 3pm.
So what happened to your cedia? Looks like you showed up in a bike.
Quote:
I had the same opinion about the 85 1.2. CA, very very thin DOF and slooooow focussing.

I'd buy the 100 macro over it anyday for one quarter the price. Way way more resolution, creamy smooth bokeh and much closer focussing distance.
Very true. Comparing with the 100macro, at non macro distance, the 85L's focus was very slow. 100/2.8 is a better choice considering the price. But i am not sure if 100macro will do such a good bokeh though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@gkrishn wow, an f/1.2L. To me its one of those things i hear about, but never use. consider yourself lucky :(
Nothing lucky. Just walk into the canon's store in brigade towers, and play with it to your heart's content, and that only if you had a canon.
Old 15th December 2008, 14:36   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing lucky. Just walk into the canon's store in brigade towers, and play with it to your heart's content, and that only if you had a canon.
mebbe... but only if they let me take it home for a day to check it out.
Old 15th December 2008, 14:43   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very true. Comparing with the 100macro, at non macro distance, the 85L's focus was very slow.
Is it? I didn't feel much when tried with my camera body. That apart it's a lens for low light and essentially for stage photography.
Quote:
100/2.8 is a better choice considering the price. But i am not sure if 100macro will do such a good bokeh though.
A regular 100, 2.8 will produce nice bokeh. 100, 2.8 macro is designed more for flat field correction (copying picture etc in close distance).
Old 16th December 2008, 01:31   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Yes at 3pm.
So what happened to your cedia? Looks like you showed up in a bike.
Very true. Comparing with the 100macro, at non macro distance, the 85L's focus was very slow. 100/2.8 is a better choice considering the price. But i am not sure if 100macro will do such a good bokeh though.

My car was in Eva mall. No place to park at or around brigade towers. I came walking down from there.

Is there a normal 100/2.8? I don't think such a lens exists. Or are you speaking about the 70-200 at 100mm? There's an 85/1.8 though which is supposed to be very good for portraits. The 85/1.2 was so slow in focussing that I felt manual focussing was actually faster. Maybe thats what its meant for and we mere mortals are not worth enough to use it .

Last edited by reignofchaos : 16th December 2008 at 01:36.
Old 16th December 2008, 08:30   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Is there a normal 100/2.8? I don't think such a lens exists.
You're right. Not any more.
Quote:
Or are you speaking about the 70-200 at 100mm?
I'm talking about a focal length of 100mm with fixed aperture. Be it a block or variable.
Quote:
The 85/1.2 was so slow in focussing that I felt manual focussing was actually faster. Maybe thats what its meant for and we mere mortals are not worth enough to use it .
Which body did you check with?
Old 16th December 2008, 14:12   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
You're right. Not any more.
I'm talking about a focal length of 100mm with fixed aperture. Be it a block or variable.
Which body did you check with?
A friend's entry level 350D. Wasn't carrying my 40D. It might be a bit better with it but again unlikely as the 100mm macro had blistering fast focus on the same 350D body. The latter felt sharper too at the same f/2.8 aperture with pretty much no CA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks