Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:57   #12451
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Plan was changed and instead of Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II lens, I bought OS version and more latest Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM. Yesterday, they delivered at home and took few testing shots at home only. It came out really good. Focus is really fast and in low light OS works excellently.
This lens packs lots of excitement and lots of experiments need to carry out. Looking forward for some free time to experiment with this lens.
Congratulations, How is this lens? Can you post a link to the item that you have bought?
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:07   #12452
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nikon DSLRs gaining market share in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Lots of hype, not translating into marketshare. Performance not commensurate with (high) price. Size the only redeeming factor.
Hey, that's not what they are saying in the link.

Quote:
The perceived performance of the DSLRs is higher, while the prices of most mirrorless cameras are high.
It is the problem of perception actually. I would say that needs of most hobbyists who use dSLRs can be easily addressed by mirrorless, may be a bit expensive. Compactness is not cheap. Since I am willing to pay little extra for compactness, I am totally satisfied with mirrorless.
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:16   #12453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Congratulations, How is this lens? Can you post a link to the item that you have bought?
Friend, I purchased this in South Korea. For the time being I am here. I will be back to India in another few months. In India it is costly and at present the listing price for this lens is Rs. 76,XXX.00 in India.
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:09   #12454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friend, I purchased this in South Korea. For the time being I am here. I will be back to India in another few months. In India it is costly and at present the listing price for this lens is Rs. 76,XXX.00 in India.
No wonder! I keep forgetting the possibility of the members being outside india. I was not able to spot this lens on the usual india e-commerce website, hence asked.

Well, post some pictures from South Korea!
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:34   #12455
BHPian

Guys I am a novice at photography even though i own a Canon dSLR. Just wanted to give a heads-up to people, my cousin who does some consultancy work with flipkart tells me that this 26th, they are going to have amazing schemes on cameras & lenses (flat 30% off)! happy shopping!
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:30   #12456
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nikon DSLRs gaining market share in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hey, that's not what they are saying in the link.

It is the problem of perception actually. I would say that needs of most hobbyists who use dSLRs can be easily addressed by mirrorless, may be a bit expensive. Compactness is not cheap. Since I am willing to pay little extra for compactness, I am totally satisfied with mirrorless.
That was my (somewhat biased) interpretation of what Thom Hogan was conveying (he is also a mirrorless fan, btw) .

OM-D-EM5 is similar in price to a D7100 or 70D (give or take a hundred dollars). Apart from the compactness/aesthetic factor (which is a huge factor for many people), is there anything that sets an EM5 apart? A similar priced DSLR offers more bang for the buck, but compromises on size and convenience.

But yes, for folks who are not into wildlife/nature/sports photography, a mirrorless makes a lot of sense.

What struck me was that mirrorless cameras have disproportionate mindshare and visibility (on the net at least, if one follows the usual sites and forums) but has only ~ 20% marketshare of interchangeable camera sales.

Disclaimer: Given that I am primarily a wildlife/nature shooter, I am biased towards DSLRs. Folks wanting to make the leap to interchangeable systems - head over to the mirrorless thread or check with Samurai and other serious mirrorless shooters if you are undecided between a mirrorless and a DSLR. It is like buying a vehicle - ultimately what matters is the fit with your needs.

Edit: the new Tamron 150-600mm is getting very nice reviews. I was lusting for the Nikon 80-400mm AF-S which costs a whopping 1.8L in India, but this new Tamron doesn't seem to compromise too much while offering 50% more reach. In a DX body, 900mm reach is droolworthy. And on a D7100, in 1.3X crop mode, that becomes 1200mm. For $ 1100. It has been difficult to justify buying a serious wildlife lens given that there are so many competing family priorities. It doesn't help that the nicer (Nikon) wildlife lenses cost as much as a hatchback. Perhaps it is time to seriously evaluate 3rd party (somewhat compromised) lenses.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 23rd January 2014 at 21:42.
Old 24th January 2014, 16:37   #12457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I bought OS version and more latest Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM...
Here are three photos. First two of Lens itself and last one is initial result of this lens. Lighting may not be perfect in these photos.

The DSLR Thread-img_1605_lzn.jpg

The DSLR Thread-img_1606_lzn.jpg

The DSLR Thread-img_1614_lzn.jpg

If you want to see more result of this Sigma lens then at present you can refer flickr group here.
Old 31st January 2014, 21:30   #12458
Senior - BHPian

Got a Nikkor 40mm AF-S DX Micro f/2.8G Lens for my D5200 as an everyday prime lens with Macro capabilities @14.3K from ebay (MRP 18,600/- now)

The DSLR Thread-nikon-40mm-micro-lens-31012014_1.jpg

Here's how it looks attached to the D5200
The DSLR Thread-nikon-40mm-micro-lens-31012014_2.jpg

The DSLR Thread-nikon-40mm-micro-lens-31012014_3.jpg

Above photos taken by camera phone HTC One.

Sample Shots for my macro needs taken indoors in low light. Nice Bokah.
The DSLR Thread-roses_1.jpg

The DSLR Thread-roses_2.jpg
Old 2nd February 2014, 15:35   #12459
BHPian

All,

I am planning to upgrade from my D3200 to a Nikon FX. Recently I purchased 50 1.8 G and 24 70 G2.8 and just stunned with the results. I am inclined towards D800 but this LEFT AUTO FOCUS issue is just killing me. I am not sure if the recent copies made have that issue or has that been resolved. Can anyone throw some light and any tips (which serial number I must not buy etc., which has this issue)..

May be if this issue is random, I am Ok to buy D610.. Are there any issues in D610 (like dust, oil etc.,) which literally killed D600 in the market..

I will also be buying 14 24 F2.8 for that extra wide.. am crazy about landscapes and going wide..

Pls guide.

Regards
Sathya
Old 2nd February 2014, 19:43   #12460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
All,

Recently I purchased 50 1.8 G and 24 70 G2.8 and just stunned with the results. I am inclined towards D800 but this LEFT AUTO FOCUS issue is just killing me. I am not sure if the recent copies made have that issue or has that been resolved. Can anyone throw some light and any tips (which serial number I must not buy etc., which has this issue)..

Pls guide.
Since you have the budget just go in for the D800 with your eyes closed. The reports you refer to are from 12-18 months ago. Their production issues have been reportedly resolved. My D800 or D4 have no issue and both are from the 1st lot of bodies in India - purchased in early May 2012 and March 2012 respectively.

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd February 2014 at 19:46.
Old 2nd February 2014, 20:32   #12461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Since you have the budget just go in for the D800 with your eyes closed. The reports you refer to are from 12-18 months ago. Their production issues have been reportedly resolved. My D800 or D4 have no issue and both are from the 1st lot of bodies in India - purchased in early May 2012 and March 2012 respectively.
Thanks RD2. That really helps.. will go for D800 itself.
Old 4th February 2014, 17:55   #12462
BHPian

All,

I am based out of Bangalore and have 2 Nikon lens. Noticed fungus growth in side the lens and looking options to get it cleaned, can you please provide some pointers for the cleaning job - is Nikon service center reliable, are there any reliable alternate options?

Lens in question
- AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
- AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

Any pointers on this will be highly appreciated
Old 4th February 2014, 18:04   #12463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
All,
I am based out of Bangalore and have 2 Nikon lens. Noticed fungus growth in side the lens and looking options to get it cleaned, can you please provide some pointers for the cleaning job - is Nikon service center reliable, are there any reliable alternate options?....
Considering the cost of these lenses, you better rely on Nikon service itself. I recently cleaned my D600 sensor. There was a guy near Indira Nagar area, not sure if he still takes cleaning works, but he would charge you very close to what Nikon will. I would not depend on freelancers for a zoom lens just because of the complexity & number of parts inside.
Old 4th February 2014, 18:07   #12464
Team-BHP Support

The DSLR Thread-wp_20140204_001.jpg

And here is the WINNER!
Old 4th February 2014, 18:09   #12465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Considering the cost of these lenses, you better rely on Nikon service itself. I recently cleaned my D600 sensor. There was a guy near Indira Nagar area, not sure if he still takes cleaning works, but he would charge you very close to what Nikon will. I would not depend on freelancers for a zoom lens just because of the complexity & number of parts inside.
Thanks a lot Shaju. Did you visit the service center near Safina Plaza, somehow the attitude of the folks there leaves many things to be desired.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks