Google Drive 55 51.40%
Dropbox 24 22.43%
SkyDrive 14 13.08%
Other (please specify in your post) 14 13.08%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2022, 22:03   #91
BHPian

Re: Cloud File Sync & Backup : Google Drive vs Dropbox vs OneDrive vs?

I have been using Terabox for the past few weeks. It provides 1TB of free cloud storage. They have apps for iPhone, macOS and android. Has worked well for me till now.
Old 18th January 2022, 12:18   #92

All 'Inbound' Data Transfer to AWS is free.
All 'Outbound' Data Transfer from AWS is metered and currently has a 100 GB a month free tier limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post

Do you have any AWS documentation links on Free Tier EC2 T.2 Micro usage allowances?

I don't see anything about bandwidth restriction.

Check this:
Name:  Screenshot from 20220118 121542.png
Views: 491
Size:  25.3 KB

You can read more about it here: and here for more details
parag.agrawal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 13:11   #93
BHPian

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by parag.agrawal
All 'Inbound' Data Transfer to AWS is free.
All 'Outbound' Data Transfer from AWS is metered and currently has a 100 GB a month free tier limit.
Thanks for the information.

My vntsat reported monthly data usage is right on that borderline of free tier outbound bandwidth limit. And I guess it is mostly like to go up with time.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  23.0 KB

But I have a surprising update,

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
Agreed that every ISP uses CGNAT and the subscriber's router is getting a private IP address by default. But you could talk to your ISP to get yourself a public IP. My ISP gave me one for free, upon asking
I had no hopes with my local cable guy. All my previous technical support related interactions were frustrating since their local support staff only knew to pull wires, check the link lamp on ONU and check "speed" by opening YouTube or Facebook.

However, this time around I am treated with a surprise as with just a single call, 5 mins and a Router+ONU reboot later, I see my router is now having a Dynamic Public IP.

Name:  002.png
Views: 475
Size:  21.9 KB

So there is no need for routing via AWS VPS anymore. Server is now accessible directly with my own Public IP.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 11:06   #94
BHPian

A related question: How do you manage the files in your different local and cloud storage locations?
For example, I have:
  • Google Drive (15 GB)
  • OneDrive (5 GB)
  • Dropbox (2 GB)
  • iCloud Drive (5 GB)
  • SSD (500 GB)
  • Local storage on my laptop (500 GB)
  • Local storage on my phone (32 GB)
  • Local storage on my tablet (32 GB)
  • Micro SD card in my earlier phone (32 GB)
In addition, I have a bunch of:
  • Evernote Notes
  • OneNote Notes
  • Notes in the Apple Notes app on my phone
  • Bookmarks in 2 different browsers
What strategies do you follow to keep data in these different storage options? How do you keep track of what data is in which location?
Do you keep some of the same data in more than 1 location -- if so, how do you ensure that there are no duplicates?
Old 8th February 2022, 19:20   #95
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasi55 View Post
A related question: How do you manage the files in your different local and cloud storage locations?
Simple. I use just Dropbox on all my devices. Have their 2 TB plan. It's the best, fastest and most reliable. Heavy user and never had issues (had plenty with Google Drive). If I can pay Netflix for entertainment, I sure as hell can pay Dropbox for peace-of-the-mind.

For safety, I backup to external hard-drives (on rotation basis) every weekend.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 13:54   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
I have been using Terabox for the past few weeks. It provides 1TB of free cloud storage. They have apps for iPhone, macOS and android. Has worked well for me till now.
This seems lucrative in the current market of most things paid. Then I did one google search and arrived at https://tech-latest.com/terabox-1tb-...cloud-storage/. I think its more scarier than Google.
ottocycle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 13:53   #97
BHPian

Longtime users, needs some pointers related to photo and video backups.

Have you moved everything to cloud for backup or you also retain a copy on local machine / external hard drive? If external HDD, how do you sync the folder structure and files? Do you need to use PC or MAC for syncing or through router based sync or through any powerful tablet/ipad it can be achieved?
Old 18th November 2022, 14:31   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Longtime users, needs some pointers related to photo and video backups.

Have you moved everything to cloud for backup or you also retain a copy on local machine / external hard drive? If external HDD, how do you sync the folder structure and files? Do you need to use PC or MAC for syncing or through router based sync or through any powerful tablet/ipad it can be achieved?
Hi there. I have a ton of photos - RAW, processed and scanned from old pictures as well. I used to have it on an external hard drive. I had folderized it basis the contents. So typically for pictures taken on vacations, i have a folder call Tours and then within it - the location where we went and within it broken down by dates. Similarly for functions, festivals etc. The generic photos that one takes with phones are folderized by person and then the year/month

Now with regards to external drive, i got hit by a virus and am still reeling under its effect. It was something called npph extension and it corrupted all my pictures. Thankfully, i had uploaded about 50% of these onto Onedrive and synced it to my external drive. The interesting part was that Onedrive alerted me about the virus and gave me an option to revert back to pictures without the virus extension. So in a jiffy it not only protected, but recovered my files.

So now, all my pictures are on cloud. Missus runs her own business for which she needs MS Office license. So we have 1TB worth storage on Onedrive and that is more than sufficient to host my pictures. I also enabled photo syncing on Onedrive from my iphone. All i do is launch Onedrive on phone once a day and voila everything is synched. How i wish, Windows had continued their Mobile platform. That was brilliant to use and the Lumia phones were a class apart. Sorry, strayed away from topic.
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 15:40   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
I had folderized it basis the contents.
Thanks! This is exactly what I am currently doing for all the old and current pictures. Taking a lot of time. Hence the query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Thankfully, i had uploaded about 50% of these onto Onedrive and synced it to my external drive.
Do you sync the folder using PC/MAC? Actually, my laptop is very old/noisy and nowadays I mostly use tablet or phone to work on any limited personal work. Office work is done on office laptop hence I don't see a need to buy a separate personal laptop. But all the sync apps from different cloud providers allow syncing external drivers from PC or MAC only. I am unable to find any provider with app for tablet to sync external hdd with cloud.
Old 18th November 2022, 17:03   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Do you sync the folder using PC/MAC? Actually, my laptop is very old/noisy and nowadays I mostly use tablet or phone to work on any limited personal work. Office work is done on office laptop hence I don't see a need to buy a separate personal laptop. But all the sync apps from different cloud providers allow syncing external drivers from PC or MAC only. I am unable to find any provider with app for tablet to sync external hdd with cloud.
I use the PC to sync external hard drives. Drop the folder onto the PC and then sync it to the cloud overnight. Best to switch cloud sync on and go to sleep and by the time you get up things are up there.

I am assuming that you want to connect your hard drive to a tablet/phone and then sync it to the cloud. I am not aware of this. But i am assuming that if the tablet/phone can read files on the HD, then you can sync them to cloud using the native cloud app.

Experts can chime in
Old 21st November 2022, 09:27   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! This is exactly what I am currently doing for all the old and current pictures. Taking a lot of time. Hence the query.

Connecting hard disk to phone or tablet is difficult. You can buy a 128GB OTG pen drive depending on the port you have on your device (type c or micro usb). Backup all the content to the pen drive and on android use foldersync to sync content to multiple cloud providers while retaining the folder structure.
Old 28th September 2023, 11:11   #102
BANNED

Recently, I saw a message on my google one account about a process Google prescribes to pull data from iCloud to G-Drive. This, immediately grabbed my attention for its simple, but yet exceptionally useful and stress-free USP. [Detail here].
Last year, I have to move the bulk of G-Drive data to iCloud after my wife ditched android for ios. And now I am in a process to move my entire data backup from G-Drive to Onedrive. In absence of any such APIs/Process, this is a very tedious and tiring activity. Over the year we have accumulate enough data in our cloud and mostly they are not structured which adds to the task significantly.
Why can't the service providers make available of some data migration apis from one another. Even they charge a nominal fee for this, I believe most would appreciate the ease it provides.
What is your thought on this?
Old 4th October 2023, 12:06   #103
BHPian

Hi all

A noob question. Presently, I am using Amazon Photos for my backup of photos and videos, along with some music collections. Amazon Drive is going to shut down from December 2023 onward. I am planning to migrate to Google One. Can we back up music files on Google One?

Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 12:56   #104
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If one is an Apple user then there is nothing quite like iCloud.
I use it and am happy with it. I do pay for extra space.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 14:00   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemechanic View Post
Hi all

A noob question. Presently, I am using Amazon Photos for my backup of photos and videos, along with some music collections. Amazon Drive is going to shut down from December 2023 onward. I am planning to migrate to Google One. Can we back up music files on Google One?

Thanks
If they are purchased and own, then yes. Just drag the folder over to G-Drive and it is done.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks