Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:50   #61
BHPian

re: Google / Android TV project

I recently got the tronsmart Mk908, just started playing with. so far its been good. I am mainly using it for streaming movies/songs from my NAS.

will be exploring more on the device capabilities in few days.
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:23   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
I recently got the tronsmart Mk908, just started playing with. so far its been good. I am mainly using it for streaming movies/songs from my NAS.

will be exploring more on the device capabilities in few days.
That's great. From where did you buy it and for how much?
Did you also get a remote to go with it?

Please post full review and details. Does it work 1080P well?
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:37   #63
BHPian

I see that there is a forum on TV sticks on XDA. It is not as happening as the other other Android Forums like Galaxy Note or Galaxy S4. But it still has loads of senior visitors. I think it will pick up within a couple of months once these sticks become a little more commonplace.

For anyone interested, here is the link -
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2070
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:08   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
I am planning to buy one of these. Now a days, MK908 (Quad core) units are available on ebay.in in plenty.
I need advice on which one to buy. I want to buy the one which has largest community support (Meaning plenty of roms and kernels to flash).
I suggest join the freaktab forum and check out the threads on different variants available. Mine is a dual core MK808B and I don't have much info about the MK908 devices.

Quote:
Also, please advise on the best remote to buy for typing and playing little bit of games on it. Somewhere on the net I read that these devices work with XBOX wireless controllers. Can these devices work with Wii type remotes?

How does the Droidmote thing work? Is it possible to do texting, emailing etc with this?
I use an RC11 with mine. There's a Logitech one as well that seems to be popular. Here's a link on using Droidmote with MK802.

Quote:
I have a tata Safari which has two DVD player screens, and I have never used them. In fact after scrapping the waste alpine HU, they aren't even connected to anything. Is it possible to use these screens as monitors and rig up a carputer using the Google Stick and a remote?
If they accept HDMI input and support the screen resolution that your device is setup for then I guess it should be possible.
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:20   #65
BHPian

Quote:
That's great. From where did you buy it and for how much?
Did you also get a remote to go with it?

Please post full review and details. Does it work 1080P well?
I want to buy a good airmouse/remote, still not clear which one to buy!
I am looking for a remote which has in-built mic and a speaker so that it can be used for video calls.

I am yet to explore the device in detail, like watching 720/1080 p videos, but will do it soon and post my experience.
Old 6th September 2013, 10:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
If they accept HDMI input and support the screen resolution that your device is setup for then I guess it should be possible.
Hi Ajit,

I am also in two minds to setup an Android TV at my place. My primary requirement is Music and HD movies. Could you please answer my concerns given below?

1. Does this android TV support any TV which has HDMI? I have Panasonic 42 inch HD plasma
2. Does it play all formats of the movies? Typically AVI, MP4, MPEG*, MKV etc?
3. Since it works on HDMI, does it transmit the video and audio to the AVR/TV over HDMI?
4. If I plug its output to an AVR (yamaha/Onkyo) will the AVR then forward the video to TV and Audio to its own speakers?
5. Will get the 5.1 surround sound for the movies which has it embedded? Or will it simply transmit the video and audio as is to AVR/TV?
6. My wifi router is in bedroom some 30 ft away? Will it catch signal? If I want to boost the wifi, will I able to use my phone as hotspot and connect this thing to mobile's hotspot?
7. Anything that you feel is a shortcome of this thing?

Since my budget is pretty tight, I guess MK808B fits well. Awaiting your reply.
Old 6th September 2013, 11:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Hi Ajit,

I am also in two minds to setup an Android TV at my place. My primary requirement is Music and HD movies. Could you please answer my concerns given below?
Sure, I'll try my best

Quote:
1. Does this android TV support any TV which has HDMI? I have Panasonic 42 inch HD plasma
Well, not sure what you mean by "any" TV. I think if it has HDMI input and supports a standard screen resolution like 1920x1080x60Hz it should be fine. Mine is a 2012 model Samsung 43" E series plasma and it works pretty well. I've also tried it with a newer 50" LED TV and that works as well.

Quote:
2. Does it play all formats of the movies? Typically AVI, MP4, MPEG*, MKV etc?
I think this depends more on the player that you will use. If it's XBMC or MX player I think they should be able to play all these formats.

Quote:
3. Since it works on HDMI, does it transmit the video and audio to the AVR/TV over HDMI?
Yes it does. If you want to split the video and audio from the HDMI feed you can buy a splitter for this.

Quote:
4. If I plug its output to an AVR (yamaha/Onkyo) will the AVR then forward the video to TV and Audio to its own speakers?
I think so yes, but you should check the AVR manual to make sure it works this way.

Quote:
5. Will get the 5.1 surround sound for the movies which has it embedded? Or will it simply transmit the video and audio as is to AVR/TV?
If you're sending HDMI signal to an AVR I think the 5.1 decoding should be done by the AVR itself. (Assuming the movie is recorded in 5.1). I doubt the TV would be able to do this. The best you would get from a TV is stereo with maybe some "simulated" surround.

Quote:
6. My wifi router is in bedroom some 30 ft away? Will it catch signal? If I want to boost the wifi, will I able to use my phone as hotspot and connect this thing to mobile's hotspot?
I think with a 30ft separation and concrete walls you will definitely face signal strength issues. Might be better to run an ethernet cable and buy a ethernet-USB converter. Or try and move the router closer to the TV. You can use your phone hotspot, but then you're limited by the GPRS connection bandwidth right? If you're planning to stream content (e.g. youtube) you will need significant bandwidth (minimum 4-8 Mbps).

Quote:
7. Anything that you feel is a shortcome of this thing?
I think for the price it's a good device with good performance. Some minor irritating things are the lack of an on/off switch, plus the fact that you have to open the cover to access the reset button. Apart from that no complaints. I'm using it every day and don't remember the last time I watched regular TV!

Quote:
Since my budget is pretty tight, I guess MK808B fits well. Awaiting your reply.
All the best!
Old 6th September 2013, 14:23   #68
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Ajit

I guess, I will go ahead with this Android TV with RC11 remote keyboard.

I was talking about using my phone to create a hotspot on the existing wifi network I have at home. I will see if I can change the position of the router so that it would be closer to the TV without any brick walls in between.

Will trouble you if I run into any issues.
Old 6th September 2013, 15:17   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Ajit

I was talking about using my phone to create a hotspot on the existing wifi network I have at home. I will see if I can change the position of the router so that it would be closer to the TV without any brick walls in between.

Will trouble you if I run into any issues.
Ok, if you're planning to use tethering i.e. use your phone as a hotspot, you can only share the GPRS/3G internet connection - you can't simultaneously connect to your home WiFi and re-broadcast it via hotspot.

Another option is to use a dongle like TataPhoton+ I think this can be done with MK808B but haven't personally experimented with it
Old 6th September 2013, 15:19   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was talking about using my phone to create a hotspot on the existing wifi network I have at home.
Wireless hotspot takes Mobile data and makes it accessible via WiFi.

It cannot take wifi-data and boost it. That would be a 'repeater' function which the phone is not capable of.

Quote:
I will see if I can change the position of the router so that it would be closer to the TV without any brick walls in between.
Sometimes just rotating the router, adjusting the antenna or raising the router (higher positions are better) can help. Also try switching WiFi channels.

cya
R
Old 6th September 2013, 15:21   #71
BHPian

There are also some mods people have done to boost the WiFi signal - check out some of the MK808 forums. If you have an old router lying around you can use the antenna from that.
Old 6th September 2013, 15:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are also some mods people have done to boost the WiFi signal - check out some of the MK808 forums. If you have an old router lying around you can use the antenna from that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Wireless hotspot takes Mobile data and makes it accessible via WiFi.

It cannot take wifi-data and boost it. That would be a 'repeater' function which the phone is not capable of.

Sometimes just rotating the router, adjusting the antenna or raising the router (higher positions are better) can help. Also try switching WiFi channels.

cya
R
Thanks for the inputs guys. I was under impression that we can use the existing wifi and do repeater kind of thing .

So the easiest would be to place the existing wifi router as close to TV as possible without any brick walls in between. This seems be be fairly easy to me.

So I have ordered the MK808B and it would reach me next week . BTW, it did cost me 3300/- on ebay.in
Old 6th September 2013, 16:04   #73
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase! Do let us know how it goes and post some pics of your setup.
Old 7th September 2013, 12:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase! Do let us know how it goes and post some pics of your setup.
Sure. The next item on the list is the air mouse. Once I receive the items, I would update this thread with my setup
Old 11th September 2013, 12:22   #75
Senior - BHPian

Got the MiniTV delivered today. While browsing on net came to know that there are fakes as well. How can I make sure mine is original?

The packing has a black cover with a green line at the top and the text says "MINI TV" with a small TV with 2 antennas icon.

Most Viewed