Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2007, 23:11   #16
BHPian

Reliance Net Connect Vs. Airtel Data Card

guys im planning to get either one of these soon...which one is better? The Reliance one looked interesting because of the option of the USB modem...while the tariffs on the Airtel card are scaring me. . I just want it for my laptop because i like the mobility aspect of it.
Old 26th April 2007, 23:21   #17
BHPian

i started using the Relaince data card (in my laptop) in November 2006 while i was in bangalore during the great indian road trip. From Bangalore to ooty/munnar/whole kerala, TN, AP, WB, even in Sikkim.. and now back to Delhi, the data card has always performed exceptionally well.

I have the 650 plan, in which i get 1GB of data per month. it always connects in the first go and i do all my surfing (of t-bhp, xbhp, and more sites) from my laptop only including uploading pictures as high as 200kb.
Old 26th April 2007, 23:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
i started using the Relaince data card (in my laptop) in November 2006 while i was in bangalore during the great indian road trip. From Bangalore to ooty/munnar/whole kerala, TN, AP, WB, even in Sikkim.. and now back to Delhi, the data card has always performed exceptionally well.

I have the 650 plan, in which i get 1GB of data per month. it always connects in the first go and i do all my surfing (of t-bhp, xbhp, and more sites) from my laptop only including uploading pictures as high as 200kb.
oh ok...how fast are the speeds?? is it fast enough for streaming video at a manageable quality? and hey congrats for finishing the road trip, i was following somewhat when i was back in india. 650 bucks a month sounds reasonable too.
Old 26th April 2007, 23:35   #19
BHPian

hm... normal surfing ..around 4-5kb/second. i dont download movies/songs. Have tried youtube sometimes, but it does take some amount of time for seeing streaming vids. But for normal surfing, even at heavy sites, the data card is quite good.

I have heard rel now gives the USB type of data card. From what i have heard from my friend, they are not as fast as the ones i use (PCMCI slot cards?)... may be a one off case for the USB one then.. but do check before you buy
Old 26th April 2007, 23:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am also using Reliance data card......down load speeds are of max 120 kbps......but good for surfing...and I fear it will not be able to stream the video ....you might have to wait a bit to buffer it fully......
Old 27th April 2007, 00:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
hm... normal surfing ..around 4-5kb/second. i dont download movies/songs. Have tried Youtube sometimes, but it does take some amount of time for seeing streaming vids. But for normal surfing, even at heavy sites, the data card is quite good.

I have heard rel now gives the USB type of data card. From what i have heard from my friend, they are not as fast as the ones i use (PCMCI slot cards?)... may be a one off case for the USB one then.. but do check before you buy
the only thing is with the data card, some of the newer laptops have switched to EXPRESS CARD slots and im planning to buy a new laptop so that might pose a problem unless there is an adaptor.
Old 27th April 2007, 00:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Since its BLR I think the airtel data card works on the edge network[which is about 236kbps or so ] so it should be faster than the reliance network.

It too offers 1 GB free bundled usage for 600 bucks a month.There is an unlimited usage option for 999 bucks a month.

Airtel

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 27th April 2007 at 00:34.
Old 27th April 2007, 00:42   #23
BHPian

my data card runs at 240Kbps (reliance)
Old 27th April 2007, 00:46   #24
BHPian

airtel is pathetic bro dont even think of buying it..its slower than dialup...opens yahoo.com in not less than 100seconds...not even easy to browse let alone download something
Old 27th April 2007, 00:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for that, I took this post as reference,while comparing speeds between the two.
Quote:
I am also using Reliance data card......down load speeds are of max 120 kbps
Old 27th April 2007, 03:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
my data card runs at 240Kbps (reliance)
hmmn so it looks like reliance is the better choice. i'll be back in bang next week and i'll drop by the reliance store and see whats up.
Old 27th April 2007, 10:59   #27
Team-BHP Support

I have used reliance extensively through the phone. It gives around 90kbps, I am told data card is much better.
As for Airtel, I used it once through the mobile phone and the speed was 10kbps-20kbps. I don't know how will their data card perform.
Old 27th April 2007, 11:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have used reliance extensively through the phone. It gives around 90kbps, I am told data card is much better.
As for Airtel, I used it once through the mobile phone and the speed was 10kbps-20kbps. I don't know how will their data card perform.
oh ok..yeah i just need something basic..i dont really need broadband in the house. Now i just have to find out how good the USB modem is.
Old 27th April 2007, 17:03   #29
BHPian

Airtel should really think about withdrawig there data cards from the market... they are pathetic... the worst part is that they promise you big speeds and saddle you with a horrible product worth 6K..which according to me is worth not even rs.60/- ... im seriusly thinkign of approaching the consumer forum...
Old 27th April 2007, 17:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Airtel should really think about withdrawig there data cards from the market... they are pathetic... the worst part is that they promise you big speeds and saddle you with a horrible product worth 6K..which according to me is worth not even rs.60/- ... im seriusly thinkign of approaching the consumer forum...
Exactly what happended?
I've heard some horror stories about the Reliance data card too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks