Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:29   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your feedback. It seems like people are just about satisfied with Reliance whereas the 2 user's of Tata V-Datacard seem to be quite satisfied. This puts me again in confusion

What is V-Datacard from Tata? Is it similar to the datacard you get from reliance?
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:33   #122
Senior - BHPian

There no comparison in the speeds. Reliance is painfully slow... I have used both and have stuck with Tata Indicom. I dont use the USB thingie... mine is a PCI card and I hear that its faster than USB,
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:08   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
There no comparison in the speeds. Reliance is painfully slow... I have used both and have stuck with Tata Indicom. I dont use the USB thingie... mine is a PCI card and I hear that its faster than USB,
Thanks E_T. I will then go for Indicom then. I didn't know that they too have a PCI card.
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:20   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks E_T. I will then go for Indicom then. I didn't know that they too have a PCI card.
I dont know if they offer the PCI card now or not. I see them advertising the USB plug and play modem now a day only.
The PCI card comes with a sim which the card uses to connect to the Tata Indicom's network.
Indicom works like a charm during the night when the call load on the networks isnt much. I have got download speeds upto 18 kbps at times during the night. One thing that needs to be kept in mind is that speed varies a lot with the network strength.
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:32   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dont know if they offer the PCI card now or not. I see them advertising the USB plug and play modem now a day only.
The PCI card comes with a sim which the card uses to connect to the Tata Indicom's network.
Indicom works like a charm during the night when the call load on the networks isnt much. I have got download speeds upto 18 kbps at times during the night. One thing that needs to be kept in mind is that speed varies a lot with the network strength.
your right, they dont offer the PCI card anymore. So i settled for a USB Modem ( Bought it this morning) and it costed be 2.8K in total. Will get activated in a couple of day. Lets see how it turns out to be. Thanks again!
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:36   #126
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Can anyone tell me where I can find the dial up software for the Reliance USB data card. I lost my CD and cant seem to find the dialler anywhere on the net.
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:18   #127
BHPian

Download here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Can anyone tell me where I can find the dial up software for the Reliance USB data card. I lost my CD and cant seem to find the dialler anywhere on the net.
Download here :: Welcome to Reliance Mobile ::
Old 6th May 2008, 13:43   #128
BHPian

Query on Airtel wifi

I have internet connection provided by Airtel.Its a wireless connection.Recetly after I purchased HTC Touch,I tried to connect to this wifi router.When I turned on wifi in my mobile,it got connected.It didnt ask for any password.Does this mean that someone living nearby also could have access to my wifi connection.I always thought that it would ask for some password before connecting.Can anyone provide some information on this?
Old 6th May 2008, 15:51   #129
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
I have internet connection provided by Airtel.Its a wireless connection.Recetly after I purchased HTC Touch,I tried to connect to this wifi router.When I turned on wifi in my mobile,it got connected.It didnt ask for any password.Does this mean that someone living nearby also could have access to my wifi connection.I always thought that it would ask for some password before connecting.Can anyone provide some information on this?

Form what you have described .. Yes Anyone can Connect to your Wireless Internet Connection, By default Airtel do not enable any form of wireless security, Its upto the end user to enable them .. YOu can either enable MAC ID or WEP Authentication on the wireless router ......
Old 6th May 2008, 15:57   #130
BHPian

Don't use WEP as a measure of security on your wireless network. WEP can be hacked easily within minutes. Use WPA as its more difficult to hack and is relatively secure.
Old 5th June 2008, 16:31   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
your right, they dont offer the PCI card anymore. So i settled for a USB Modem ( Bought it this morning) and it costed be 2.8K in total. Will get activated in a couple of day. Lets see how it turns out to be. Thanks again!
Update: I am using the tata data card since the last few weeks and i am simply amazed by the speed it delivers ( especially during the nights) and browsing tbhp has just become even more a breeze now
Old 5th June 2008, 17:38   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: I am using the tata data card since the last few weeks and i am simply amazed by the speed it delivers ( especially during the nights) and browsing tbhp has just become even more a breeze now
Great! I get download speeds of over 15 kilobytes/second in the night regularly. I am glad you are enjoying it.
Old 5th June 2008, 17:42   #133
BHPian

has anyone tried EVDO from BSNL?
Old 5th June 2008, 17:56   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
has anyone tried EVDO from BSNL?
Yepp. TBHPian BurningHeart has an EVDO connection from BSNL -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post782633

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Don't use WEP as a measure of security on your wireless network. WEP can be hacked easily within minutes. Use WPA as its more difficult to hack and is relatively secure.
What about restricting connections by MAC addresses? I just have this restriction in place. i.e. My router has the facility to allow only machines with a particular MAC address to connect. I doubt anybody can guess what is the MAC address of my PC's/phone.

Last edited by spadival : 5th June 2008 at 18:01.
Old 5th June 2008, 18:02   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Yepp. TBHPian BurningHeart has an EVDO connection from BSNL -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post782633

@spadival.. thanks for the link... will PM BurningHeart and get the feedback..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks