Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:23   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Slight correction there - CDM2000 is a hybrid 2.5/3G standard (according to wiki). 2.5G part of this is the CDMA 1x standard and 3G part of it is the EVDO standard.
Try these sites for better information on telecommunications standards - Wiki is not the last name in standards:

ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards)

Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) (American standards)

There is no "3G part of CDMA2000" - 3G is a GSMA standard and applies CDMA over a GSM network. What type of CDMA network they use over GSM depends on the standards applicable in different parts of the world. N America has opted for EVDO over GSM for their 3G networks. This does not mean that EVDO is a 3G standard - it is a standalone CDMA standard which may be used by itself or as part of a 3G standard.

However, WCDMA adopted by the ETSI is not a standalone CDMA standard - you cannot have a standalone WCDMA network and it will always be the CDMA component of a 3G network.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:30   #107
Senior - BHPian

Okk okk.. it may not be 3Gee. But its hell of a lot faster than CDMA 1x AND EDGE. Thats the point I wanted to bring out.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Is not true in real life. Reliance/Tata Indicom/BSNL/MTNL will always be faster, until 3G arrives in India.
Here (Malad, Bombay) situation is different MTNL EDGE works better then MTNL's CDMA 1x (Garuda) and Reliance / TATA.

Actual speeds is around 90 - 180 kbps with EDGE, better then CDMA 1x.

BTW Airtel's 125 Rs plan is superb, did not know about that.
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:09   #109
Senior - BHPian

Since I work in 3G/4G, I hope I can clarify some things.

EVDO operates on the same 1.25MHz spectrum used for CDMA 1x. You dont need separate spectrum. So if a operator has CDMA 1x license, he can add EVDO functionality to the same 1.25MHz spectrum.

The average speed for EVDO is much better than 3G UMTS (non HSDPA). This is what the U.S market has really experienced.

So if the EVDO coverage is good, there is nothing better than it until 3G UMTS with HSDPA support arrives (EVDO too has Rev A, B and C which have mind blogging speeds). But this has to do a lot with spectrum licensing, new investment etc.,

World over though even the CDMA operators are moving towards 4G that is evolved from GSM (called LTE). So it certainly is curtains for CDMA/EVDO. This is why Reliance is damn serious about GSM.
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:48   #110
BHPian

Picked up a BSNL EV-DO this afternoon

Folks,

Thanks for the all the information chucked. I have bought a CDMA2000 IX EV-DO. The connection speeds for the last 6 hours have been fantastic. It has not disconnected itself yet. Its much faster that what I thought it would have been. You can't watch youtube videos (unless you wait for all of it to download first. But it downloaded an email attachment of 7MB in no time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
However, If I were a business user, I would opt for the reliablity of Reliance 1x over BSNL's EVDO/1x. You never know when you will be left in the lurch with BSNL.
Well, I read up quite a lot on Reliance customer service and decided against it. I wasnt greatly impressed as a CDMA customer in Gurgaon in 2003-05. But again this is MO. For me Reliance was a no-no.

The initial impressions about BSNL are really positive. Customer service is not exemlar but it is very good. I was expecting a bad office, worse customer contact point, worst advise. But I was wrong. They have changed for good.

The downside may be that it may not work well in interior parts of Kerala where CDMA exchanges do not exist. I have taken the GPRS nos as well, from them to be on the safe side. Thats not going to quick but if I leave my laptop to do its job, it should help me stay in touch with the team.

Thanks guys for everything including the "funda"mentals ;-)

BH.
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:56   #111
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Can someone provide me a link to the Airtel Rs 125 plan. Also is it possible to transfer an EVDO connection from one circle to another ?
Old 4th April 2008, 16:02   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hi,
Can someone provide me a link to the Airtel Rs 125 plan. Also is it possible to transfer an EVDO connection from one circle to another ?
Eventually, it will be possible to xfer. But the timelines are unknown. Given the steps BSNL has taken in the past, this should be sooner than later.

BH.
Old 4th April 2008, 17:22   #113
Senior - BHPian

BurningHeart, Great going!! Please pen down a detailed review for our benefit, including how you went about purchasing the stuff and what are the tariffs. All this is a bit hazy to me because not much info is available and there is a lot of confusion about BSNL EVDO.
Old 5th April 2008, 10:11   #114
BANNED

Steeroid : Can you please more info regarding Airtel Rs.125 plan ?
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:46   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Indicom VS. Reliance Connect

I am planning to purchase a Wireless Intenet connection for my laptop. I am confused between Tata Indicom & Reliance Connect.

Please recommend which is better? The difference is Indicom provides a USB Modem for Internet connectivity whereas Reliance a data card.

The tarrif plans seem almost the same. Existing users share your experience.
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:15   #116
BHPian

Reliance also provides usb modem. I have been using Reliance Net Connect for long using mobile handset. The experience is OK. Works fast most of the time but sometimes its frustratingly slow.
But never used tata's.
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:39   #117
Senior - BHPian

I have used Reliance USB for a long time. Connectivity is good. And the speed is also OK. Better than GPRS connection on Airtel. I would recommend Reliance. But be aware that customer service is very bad.
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:47   #118
BHPian

I am using TATA V-Data card. Connectivity is always good. Speed I am getting in Bangalore is around 80 kbps, where the network density is high.
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:23   #119
BHPian

I'm using Tata Indicom V-Data card, connectivity is mostly good, download speed ~14-15 KBPS, translates to ~120kbps... sufficient for web browsing, emails and occasional small downloads in my opinion.
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:34   #120
BHPian

I have been using Reliance Data card(USB).
Its okay - okay. Not as good as a Broadband connection, But fulfil my requirements when I am on move.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks