Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2007, 10:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. CDMA 1x max data speeds are 153kbps. EDGE has a edge over this(theoretically, but you may not get good speeds with the way the operator provides the service). CDMA should be better without interruptions. But it all depends on radio conditions and if any other users are present.

Overall, if you can test it before buying it would be good. I have found that wireless data speed sucks and I have tried TATA, Reliance and Airtel.
Old 13th August 2007, 11:40   #62
BHPian

With reference to Zappo's query

The USB card is now going for Rs 3000-3200 and the one that goes into the laptop card is about Rs 200 more than that, both are equally good, however USB one is not laptop dependent and the speed is also marginally better, about cost of living with it, as I said go for the 1GB Rs 650 plan, which will work out to about Rs 730 with taxes, and this should more than suffice. Please take my advise and not go for the Unlimited plan, it's very tough to cross 1GB on wire less anyways.
Old 13th August 2007, 12:09   #63
BHPian

How are you saying that the speed of a USB one is marginally better. Are you sure about this.. I think the speed should be same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
With reference to Zappo's query

The USB card is now going for Rs 3000-3200 and the one that goes into the laptop card is about Rs 200 more than that, both are equally good, however USB one is not laptop dependent and the speed is also marginally better, about cost of living with it, as I said go for the 1GB Rs 650 plan, which will work out to about Rs 730 with taxes, and this should more than suffice. Please take my advise and not go for the Unlimited plan, it's very tough to cross 1GB on wire less anyways.
Old 13th August 2007, 13:56   #64
BHPian

With reference to rishibravo's query

Yes, the USB one is slightly faster, I suppose the Reliance web site also confirm's this.

The added advantage is you can also connect it to your desktop, which you cannot with the one that goes into the slot.

The dis-advantage of the USB one is, it's very very ugly to look at.

My advice, as of to-day if anyone is planing to go in for one, it's better going for the USB one, as it's got a slight edge compared to the slot based one.
Old 13th August 2007, 16:02   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
With reference to rishibravo's query

Yes, the USB one is slightly faster, I suppose the Reliance web site also confirm's this.
can you please post the link to the page on the reliance website which quotes that USB data card is faster than PCIMC data card. I still dont agree with you. Since the final speed is always determined by the bottleneck and hardware interface is not a bottleneck here. Infact if even that was the case PCIMC would be faster than a USB 2.0. What I feel is that as you said the advantage of a USB modem is that it can be used in a desktop as well. If someone has to primarily buy the datacard for a laptop then PCIMC one is definitely a better option.
Old 13th August 2007, 17:25   #66
BHPian

PCMCIA card will always be better than USB one....moreover with USB you cannot have voice calls and sms...
Old 13th August 2007, 17:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
What happens when you travel?

Does the 1500 include access all over India?
In TATA it does, there are no roaming charges for internet usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
If someone has to primarily buy the datacard for a laptop then PCIMC one is definitely a better option.
Agreed Rishi, but problem is that now some laptops no longer have PCMCIA ports, so what to do? That is where one has no option but to buy the USB one.
Old 13th August 2007, 18:07   #68
BHPian

I think other that MAC books we get a PCMCIA but I get your point as I have also noticed the new slots being L shaped. In that case USB is the only option left and its not a bad one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Agreed Rishi, but problem is that now some laptops no longer have PCMCIA ports, so what to do? That is where one has no option but to buy the USB one.
Old 13th August 2007, 19:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the 1500 include access all over India?
Both reliance as well as Airtel allow you to access their networks throughout India.
However don't know if voice calls and sms while roaming are allowed and if so what the charges are.
Old 13th August 2007, 20:33   #70
Senior - BHPian

Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd.. Delhi

Cost of Data Card = Rs. 4650/-
Monthly Rental = Rs. 999/-unlimited
Old 17th August 2007, 13:00   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

BSNL Data card in Mumbai?

Going to traveling the North-west of the country on Monday extensively. Need to get a data card asap. Have heard that BSNL has launched a new data card service wherein you do not have to buy the card, you can rent it for 150rs a month and 250rs @144kbps unlimited access.

Is anyone here using this service already? I need contact info on where I can go get this card from.

Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd- Latest News
Old 17th August 2007, 13:04   #72
Senior - BHPian

It says internet while roaming not available.

Quote:
However, during roaming the said Internet connectivity will not work at present.
+
Quote:
This service will be available in all those locations wherever CDMA IX MSC based coverage is there.
Not sure if this is available everywhere since BSNL is mainly into GSM[is what I feel]

Source:
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd- Latest News

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 17th August 2007 at 13:06.
Old 17th August 2007, 15:24   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

i called the BSNL mumbai helpline and was informed that BSNL CDMA service does not operate in mumbai hence this data card service will not work.
Is that true?
Old 18th August 2007, 21:48   #74
BHPian

Is there a way to connect these 'data cards' to a router?
I have 3 computers in my home and I don't want to pay for two internet services (broadband & datacard) at same time.
Old 18th August 2007, 23:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

I have a small doubt. I am in line to buy my 1st laptop, yes my very 1st.

Many of the brands say that they give airtel datacard or reliance datacard free. Now how much more should i pay airtel/reliance to activate these cards ? I hope there is no catch there.

Most Viewed