Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 20:34   #196
Senior - BHPian

Much appreciated NetfreakBombay. Will make sure to ask for a trial.
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:34   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Hi Raj,
photon+ is launched just a couple of days ago in Hyderabad too.Though on indicom website no info is available,you can get a demo of it at the indicom office beside LBstadium,basheerbagh. Play with it, check the speeds and then decide.

AFAIK,modem costs rs.3500 and no introductory offers. Unlimited surfing(fair access policy of 15GB ) is rs.1500 pm.
Thats a nice piece of info there teja, and nice timing too.

Quote:
A little OT, tata indicom normal cdma1x usb modem is available for just 1300 at crom outlets. And unlimted plan on that is 800 only.
So, compare how they suit your needs and decide.
BTW, I changed my mobile num.will inform you shortly.
bye.
I am ok with 3500/- but the 1500/- p.m. part, I have to check with our HR dept.(as the allowance is 1000/- p.m.). If it is good enough I dont mind paying the extra from my pocket.

BTW, Did you get a chance to try it?? And its nice to see you back.

Raj.
Old 24th March 2009, 19:39   #198
BHPian

reliance datacard really sucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Few things:

1. 3.1 mbps is advertised speed
2. Real speed would be aound 200 - 500 kbps
3. Outside of a Metro, it would drop to speed of usual CDMA (~ 100 kbps)
4. In Mumbai, not all base station have EVDO at the moment, do do check speed at your place (if possible, ask a sales guy to bring card for demo at your place).
5. If base station in your area is not EVDO enabled, speed would be pathetic (~100 kbps)
This new stuff is surely gona be a disaster for the customers just as other reliance products are. I got a reliance data card and it sucks big time
possibly the lowest speed i must have seen in my lifetime. and an equally worse customer service. When i gave a letter in writing to terminate the service, they took 2 months to do it and also kept sending me bills for the next 4 months. Some hard talk could drill only wee bit sense and the calls stopped. And today, almost a year after, someone from the collection dept calls to say that there is a bill pending. gave her a piece of my mind ... and hopefully no more calls.

I would say that the service sucks big time and connectivity is pathetic
Would like to hear from some fellow users if they had a better experience with Reliance netconnect data cards...
Old 25th March 2009, 11:41   #199
BHPian

I wanted to get Tata Indicom Photon+ but I havea a Macbook and their site says Mac is not supported. I looked through this thread the links posted above are for plugand surf (standard USB modem) product.

Kindly advise.
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:36   #200
BHPian

Hi guys,
I am really confused these days in choosing the right broadband internet connection.
the options are:

1) Tata Photon+
2) Reliance Netconnect Broadband+
3) Mtnl Triband

am currently connecting my mobile to my laptop for internet and using advanced GPRS which is very slow. though better than tata indicom USB modem internet, but still slow.

If I buy Triband, I will first have to buy a landline which I dont have currently, as I recently shifted in my current residence. but compared to triband, is Photon+ or netconnect broadband+ better?

or shall I wait for mobile companies to launch 3G internet, which might be sometime soon. just saw 3G net advt. by bsnl in newspaper today. and it said speed upto 7mbps using its USB modem to connect.

so which is the best connection with best plan options? I am not much into heavy downloads. some youtube and surfing. thats it.
Old 2nd April 2009, 07:53   #201
BHPian

IMHO go for Reliance.....
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:27   #202
Senior - BHPian

Go for Triband.

Photon+ or Netconnect+ will give you pathetic speeds in most of Mumbai.

Reason is, most of the areas still do not have coverage for 3 mbps connectivity.

And in such areas, speed falls back to 100kbps that is the speed you will get will current tata indicom USB modem.
Old 8th April 2009, 20:22   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Indicom Photon+ - How good in Chennai?

Guys

I want a Wifi Internet Connection with roaming facility within Chennai. Data usage <1.5GM/Month. Speeds >500Kbps. Need you inputs on the options I have for this requirement.

Any reviews on the Tata Indicom Photon+ in Chennai?
Old 9th April 2009, 12:28   #204
BHPian

Photon+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Guys

I want a Wifi Internet Connection with roaming facility within Chennai. Data usage <1.5GM/Month. Speeds >500Kbps. Need you inputs on the options I have for this requirement.

Any reviews on the Tata Indicom Photon+ in Chennai?
I use Photon+ and am quite a satisfied user of it. I get speeds normally 1mbps even during the day. Night speeds I am not too sure of. What I am sure of is it can't be lower than 1 mbps. Most of Chennai is coverd by EvDO coverage. There are very few places where you have only 1X coverage which I was told would soon be upgraded to EvDO.
Old 10th April 2009, 11:19   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I use Photon+ and am quite a satisfied user of it. I get speeds normally 1mbps even during the day. Night speeds I am not too sure of. What I am sure of is it can't be lower than 1 mbps. Most of Chennai is coverd by EvDO coverage. There are very few places where you have only 1X coverage which I was told would soon be upgraded to EvDO.
Thanks for the update Deepak! Mostly I'll be getting the Photon+
Old 11th April 2009, 14:34   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Hi Raj,
photon+ is launched just a couple of days ago in Hyderabad too....
Got mine today.
Quote:
AFAIK,modem costs rs.3500 and no introductory offers. Unlimited surfing(fair access policy of 15GB ) is rs.1500 pm.....
New fair access policy - 10GB
The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata)-banging-head-wall-rajesh.jpg
Old 11th April 2009, 15:50   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Got mine today.
New fair access policy - 10GB
ISPs should stop using the term "Unlimited" it is highly misguiding. I would suggest all team-bhp members join hands sign a petition and send it to TRAI and DoT. Unless this is regulated, they might even come down to 5GB (fair usage) for 2G or 2.5G connections and call it unlimited.
Old 11th April 2009, 18:01   #208
BHPian

so I guess the Photon+ is faster than MTNL Triband. as with Triband, I have heard, you mostly get the speed of 256kbps minimum. and Photon+ is 1mbps as said below.

any Idea about the Reliance Netconnect+? I think if it also provides speed equivalent to Photon+, than its a better bet as it has better coverage throughout india. when inquired, came to know that they provide broadband coverage in 35 cities.
Old 11th April 2009, 18:39   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
so I guess the Photon+ is faster than MTNL Triband. as with Triband, I have heard, you mostly get the speed of 256kbps minimum. and Photon+ is 1mbps as said below.

any Idea about the Reliance Netconnect+? I think if it also provides speed equivalent to Photon+, than its a better bet as it has better coverage throughout india. when inquired, came to know that they provide broadband coverage in 35 cities.
Even with 1X, Reliance had better coverage but poorer speeds. I don't think they will be any different with EvDo. So as long as one is living in a major city or town and is not going to use it in trains or villages, should go for a Tata Indicom.
Old 1st May 2009, 10:38   #210
Senior - BHPian

Bought Relaince Netconnect+ broadband yesterday. Submitted all the documents and it was activated in 2 hours.

Initial experience with the speed is very good. Its really fast.

it has a good HSD coverage, at least, in Pune, Mumbai and Bangaluru, where I travel alot. Also the good part is its provides the slow X1 connection on all other areas where they have network.

The modem bit large and bit of problem as well as the USB slot in my laptop is vertical, I really liked the PCMCIA card from Tataindicom.

I have already disconnected Tataindicom Wireless and if it works well, I will reduce the plan of my home broadband, but will try it for atleast a month.

Anyways it is much much better than Tataindicom datacard. I can not compare it with Photon+ as that facility is yet not available in NCR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks