Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 16:05   #331
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy261 View Post
Has anyone got Photon+ to work on Linux? I am using Ubuntu 8.04 (no windows on the laptop). I am having trouble getting the Huawei modem detected. I have searched the internet for solutions but not much of help. If anyone of you have got it to work, let me know.
Upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu. Photon+ works on it.
Old 28th February 2010, 16:41   #332
Senior - BHPian

Reliance Netconnect Broadband Plus has reduced the price now and it is available for Rs.2,299/- only.

Welcome to Reliance Communications
Old 28th February 2010, 16:49   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Does Tata Photon+ work in Pune? It doesn't seem to show as the listed city of coverage on their website. Does it work on the expressway/lonavala?
It is working since last 2 days. The official launch is probably yet to be done. There was an advertisement about it in a local daily 2 weeks ago. Rather "Coming Soon" type, but no word post that.

It works on HSIA mode now instead of CDMA. Speeds achieved are typically 1.2 - 1.5 Mbps. No idea about expressway/Lonavala.
Old 5th March 2010, 00:20   #334
BHPian

Cheated by a Reliance Mobile store

Excerpts from the mail i sent to Reliance communication :

"This is to bring your kind attention unethical business practices adopted by one of your mobile store to cheat your customers.
I purchased a Reliance netconnect broadband+ device MDN: 93215280XX on 25/02/2010 from Reliance mobile store – J B Infocomm, 6 Manek Complex, Sector-29, Vashi, New Mumbai – 400703. I was charged Rs 3500 for the device and a further Rs 500 for a recharge with promised 10 GB usage valid for a month.
My device was activated on 28/02/2009 but had NIL balance. The promised recharge was not done by the above mentioned store. I called up them up many times to follow up the matter but they simply disconnect me and when I requested to speak to the manager I was told to “get lost”.
I feel further cheated as the device cost since 22/02/2010 was reduced to Rs 2299 but I was charged Rs 3500 on 25/02/2010."

If this is not balatant cheating what is it
Old 7th March 2010, 05:03   #335
BHPian

I am using Vodafone 3G USB Stick, which works on Edge Currently but iam happy with the constant connectivity and no drops no matter how long you remain connected.

Its Rs.2499/- for stick + Sim
499 + Tax month for unlimited usage
Download Speed is usually 30-35kps.

After 3yrs. of RIM DataCard I am liking the vodafone for stability.

I also sometime use BSNL 3G SIM with it to Enjoy 3.2MBPS as only bsnl has license to give you 3G currently.
Damn, Govt. Delays is certainly making India enjoy internet slowly slowly.
Old 15th March 2010, 13:08   #336
Senior - BHPian

Suggest me best USB modem for Laptop with cost effective plan

Friends,

I am looking for a good USB modem and a plan having good speeds. I would using the USB with my laptop and would be needing the connectivity for weekend activities like mail browsing/Internet/SAP etc. Which is the best plan and modem available. I heard Tata photon+ has good speeds but is costly. How about Idea & Reliance, are they any good.
My area in Thane does not have a Airtel broadband connection hence the reason for going in for USB modems. Also the expenses for the set up would be borne by my employer.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:37   #337
BHPian

Choose a Reliance netconnect broadband prepaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Friends,

I am looking for a good USB modem and a plan having good speeds. I would using the USB with my laptop and would be needing the connectivity for weekend activities like mail browsing/Internet/SAP etc. Which is the best plan and modem available. I heard Tata photon+ has good speeds but is costly. How about Idea & Reliance, are they any good.
My area in Thane does not have a Airtel broadband connection hence the reason for going in for USB modems. Also the expenses for the set up would be borne by my employer.
You can choose a prepaid Reliance Netconnect Broadband+. The device cost would be Rs.2,299
Reliance has the broadest Evdo coverage in the country better than even Tata. I use a Tata but all of my friends who have got an Evdo card have got a Reliance and swear by it. I use my Tata only in Chennai and Bangalore so I do not have a problem with coverage.
You can find the prepaid tariff here. They are quite reasonable. Reliance Netconnect
Old 17th March 2010, 15:40   #338
BHPian

Here's an article by Techtree comparing the wireless data card services in Mumbai. I found it quite good.
Old 18th March 2010, 21:35   #339
BHPian

Does anyone use BSNL EVDO service in Bangalore? I recently read, BSNL offering unlimited usage at Rs750/- PM.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:07   #340

I am using reliance netconnect plus since the EVDO service was launched. I am very satisfied with the speeds I get. Its great as long as you don't face any problems. Everybody knows about their customer service (or lack of it). Reliance is ICICI of telecom. Once I was out of town so I forgot to pay bill.. next week they sent an arrogant goon type person to my home.

One more downside is Chinese modems they provide. Mine went dead once. I had to wait for more than a month to get it repaired under warranty and pay that month's bill too.

7/10
Old 28th April 2010, 06:41   #341
BANNED

Has anyone used Reliance Netconnect+ Broadband on Ubuntu? I am planning to try - so any instructions, tips would be great.

My modem looks like this -> http://mohanbn.com/blog/wp-content/u...broadband+.jpg
Old 28th April 2010, 17:35   #342
BHPian

BSNL EVDO anyone

Hi I have searched through the forum, but could not find anything related, so posting here.

I am going to take a BSNL EVDO connection next week. I have heard good things about it, but has anyone here tried it. It will be used to do some medical transcription work at home. Can anyone who has used it please give a review. I need a download speed of at least 30 kbps. I live near Sreekaryam, Trivandrum.

Mods; If any similar thread exist, Please merge it.

Thanks,
Chipz

Last edited by Chipz : 28th April 2010 at 17:45.
Old 28th April 2010, 19:28   #343
BHPian

First check up that whether EVDO coverage available in your are or not. I use BSNL EVDO card and it gives around 700kbps to 1mbps speed (depend on the range).Sometimes it gives me speed of around 1.8mbps. I have taken unlimited plan (Rs 750 per month )
Old 29th April 2010, 00:04   #344
BHPian

In EVDO the speed you get will depend upon your nearest EVDO enabled base tower ( the usual mobile phone towers you see everywhere)

So first check with your local BSNL CSC/exchange whether you have any EVDO enabled tower nearest to your residence/office. Even if they say yes, it is better to get hold of a Datacard from any of your friends or BSNL franchisee and try it in your place for a day or two.

Many people who rushed , burnt their fingers only to find that the speed was abysmal.

For my review on BSNL Datacard see here . (Some pictures may be missing since they are hosted by a third party site. Still the write-up can be informative.) I may also refer you to the unofficial BSNL Datacard forum here .

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 29th April 2010 at 00:13.
Old 29th April 2010, 01:38   #345
BHPian

There has been some discussion on the topic in the datacards thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...rtel-tata.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks