Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 16:41   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Yup, even my PS3 gives me a mild buzz when i touch the metal parts. I guess they weren't lying in their reviews when they decribed the PS3 experience as "ELECTRIFYING". LOL

Theres a simple sollution though, just place a small carpet where you sit. As long as you're not in direct contact with the floor, you wont feel it.

Shan2nu
Do all the PS3s come with this kind of cable like in the picture? My 2 pin plug looks like this. I want a third pin for the earthing. Are there any extensions available? I am running out of ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles-eupccablestraight.jpg  

Old 13th October 2008, 18:37   #557
Senior - BHPian

I guess i found a solution, will confirm after i reach home though.. at work right now. A 3 Pin PC power cord should just work fine with the PS3, like in this picture. Hope this resolves the shock issue on the G25.
Attached Thumbnails
XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles-9211.jpg  

Old 13th October 2008, 19:58   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess i found a solution, will confirm after i reach home though.. at work right now. A 3 Pin PC power cord should just work fine with the PS3, like in this picture. Hope this resolves the shock issue on the G25.
Yeah even i got a 2 pin with my PS3. That 3 pin looks good but just make sure you buy it from a sony showroom coz if something goes wrong in the future, they might say that using a cable not purchased from sony voids warranty.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 13th October 2008 at 19:59.
Old 13th October 2008, 20:15   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
added you - i did you see you come online on the other id (adhishb) but it was quite erratic (you were signing in and out)
Yea I was playing with the settings on the router.
Old 14th October 2008, 11:24   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
It worked, the 3 pin pc power cord was a perfect fit on the PS3. So all you guys getting shocked out there, now know what to do.
Old 14th October 2008, 19:53   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
It worked, the 3 pin pc power cord was a perfect fit on the PS3. So all you guys getting shocked out there, now know what to do.
i have been using a simple pc power cord for months on my US ps3. The indian 40gb ps3 however is using what came in the box and so far no shock issues
Old 16th October 2008, 11:19   #562
BHPian

Hey guys..you can add me to your PSNetworks..
Am in States (originally from Mumbai, India)..
My PSN is : srxbr

I frequently online play Haze, Motorstorm, World Series Poker 2008..

Otherwise, non-online, I love Assasins Creed, Uncharted, Rachet & Clank, God of War II (PS2 backward compatible)..

See you sometime on the PSN !!..

-SR
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:13   #563
Senior - BHPian

Is now the right time?

Hey Avid Gamers,

After going through the entire thread over yesterday and today, I've made my decision to buy the PS3...

But, is now the right time to buy it here in India? It's almost the end of the year, and I wanted to ask if anyone here knows if Sony is known to reduce prices in December.. [if you all positively confirm prices won't reduce this Dec, i will go and buy it this saturday (along with an HD LCD tv)]

Sony India only sells the 40GB PS3 now [60GB discontinued] so that's the only one I can buy... Prices are still Rs. 24990/-[listed in sony india website] with little or no discounts...

Maybe I'll bargain hard for a game title and a HDMI cable, if possible...
Btw, which HDMI 1.3 cable should I get if I? Since this cable purchase will be exclusive for the PS3, should I buy the same from Sony world [for protecting warranty interests]?

Btw, I've never owned game consoles before, not a very avid gamer either... But it's never too late to start...

Personally, I've loved playing 'Hidden & Dangerous' on my PC and have loved the game [now don't start kiddin if that's a decade old game or is for noobs :P]
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:47   #564
BHPian

Any Idea when is 80GB (40GB replacement) launching in India?
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:31   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hey Avid Gamers,

After going through the entire thread over yesterday and today, I've made my decision to buy the PS3...

But, is now the right time to buy it here in India? It's almost the end of the year, and I wanted to ask if anyone here knows if Sony is known to reduce prices in December.. [if you all positively confirm prices won't reduce this Dec, i will go and buy it this saturday (along with an HD LCD tv)]

Sony India only sells the 40GB PS3 now [60GB discontinued] so that's the only one I can buy... Prices are still Rs. 24990/-[listed in sony india website] with little or no discounts...

Maybe I'll bargain hard for a game title and a HDMI cable, if possible...
Btw, which HDMI 1.3 cable should I get if I? Since this cable purchase will be exclusive for the PS3, should I buy the same from Sony world [for protecting warranty interests]?

Btw, I've never owned game consoles before, not a very avid gamer either... But it's never too late to start...

Personally, I've loved playing 'Hidden & Dangerous' on my PC and have loved the game [now don't start kiddin if that's a decade old game or is for noobs :P]
Hey Ajay, you have it figured out mostly. Just be aware that PS3 titles are a little harder to find than the Xbox 360. Also Microsoft is a little more pro-active in slashing prices and pushing sales. As you may have read in this thread, I bought my PS3 in September. There were a couple of reasons I chose it over the Xbox 360:
1. I wanted the blu-ray player.
2. I am more comfortable with Sony Service.
3. For online play, I needed a console with built-in wi-fi.
4. I wanted a future-proof machine and if I was spending 25K, I wanted the best console.

The Xbox 360 didn't have point 1 and 3. By future proof machine I mean - the PS3 launched later, is difficult to make and is only getting into its stride now with titles like GTA4. Hence I expect it to be current for a few years to come while I think the Xbox will soon be due for an upgrade - just my personal opinion. The Xbox bundle worth buying in India is the Pro - and that ends up costing about the same as the PS3.

I shopped around for the PS3, saw a bundle with GT5 at a shop and was able to get the same deal from a Sony World dealer by playing one shop against the other. You may or may not get that advantage but if you're buying a TV from them as well then they better give you something extra. The HDMI cable I wangled from Sony after sales phone support. The reason being, at the time, they were giving it free with their home theaters. I called them up and gave them a piece of my mind - how can they give it free with items that dont need an HDMI cable but not with a blu-ray player?? I told them I won't buy a PS3 because of this ludicrous policy. They said buy the PS3 and we'll send you a cable home. Which they did.

You can use any HDMI cable with the PS3 - it wont void your warranty. BTW Panasonic sells one for half the price of the Sony cable.

Whether it's the right time or not - here's my take: Sony is advertising diwali offers heavily but there is nothing on the PS3. I don't expect that to change because they lose money on every PS3 they sell. The rupee has tanked so they will actually be under pressure to raise prices. Lastly, there is no word on them bringing in the 80GB version - and I think that is partly due to the rupee. India is getting old 40GB stock and I think that will continue till the 40GB is all sold out.

What you should look at is the diwali offer on the Xbox 360. I believe they are giving the Core console with a 20GB HDD, a wireless controller and two games for 15k. Now that is a compelling offer, which wasn't there when I bought the PS3. The Core console without the HDD and with a wired controller was 19K at the time.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by StarScream : 23rd October 2008 at 20:36.
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:40   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Hey Ajay, you have it figured out mostly. Just be aware that PS3 titles are a little harder to find than the Xbox 360. Also Microsoft is a little more pro-active in slashing prices and pushing sales. As you may have read in this thread, I bought my PS3 in September. There were a couple of reasons I chose it over the Xbox 360:
1. I wanted the blu-ray player.
2. I am more comfortable with Sony Service.
3. For online play, I needed a console with built-in wi-fi.
4. I wanted a future-proof machine and if I was spending 25K, I wanted the best console.

The Xbox 360 didn't have point 1 and 3. By future proof machine I mean - the PS3 launched later, is difficult to make and is only getting into its stride now with titles like GTA4. Hence I expect it to be current for a few years to come while I think the Xbox will soon be due for an upgrade - just my personal opinion. The Xbox bundle worth buying in India is the Pro - and that ends up costing about the same as the PS3.

I shopped around for the PS3, saw a bundle with GT5 at a shop and was able to get the same deal from a Sony World dealer by playing one shop against the other. You may or may not get that advantage but if you're buying a TV from them as well then they better give you something extra. The HDMI cable I wangled from Sony after sales phone support. The reason being, at the time, they were giving it free with their home theaters. I called them up and gave them a piece of my mind - how can they give it free with items that dont need an HDMI cable but not with a blu-ray player?? I told them I won't buy a PS3 because of this ludicrous policy. They said buy the PS3 and we'll send you a cable home. Which they did.

You can use any HDMI cable with the PS3 - it wont void your warranty. BTW Panasonic sells one for half the price of the Sony cable.

Whether it's the right time or not - here's my take: Sony is advertising diwali offers heavily but there is nothing on the PS3. I don't expect that to change because they lose money on every PS3 they sell. The rupee has tanked so they will actually be under pressure to raise prices. Lastly, there is no word on them bringing in the 80GB version - and I think that is partly due to the rupee. India is getting old 40GB stock and I think that will continue till the 40GB is all sold out.

What you should look at is the diwali offer on the Xbox 360. I believe they are giving the Core console with a 20GB HDD, a wireless controller and two games for 15k. Now that is a compelling offer, which wasn't there when I bought the PS3. The Core console without the HDD and with a wired controller was 19K at the time.

Hope this helps.
Hi Star,

Your post sure was helpful.. thanks..

1. I'd still go with PS3. The Blue Ray disc player is a sure nice so, so is in-built Wi-Fi option.

2. I'm not getting the LCD from sony, it would only be the PS3. I'll see if I can work some tricks and get an HDMI cable and a game.. A game at the least, since that is what is price-ier amongst the two..

3. I'm not going to buy 10 game titles and sit with all of them at the same time to worry about extensive library of games [cannot afford 10 at a time too, that would be more than the cost of another PS3.... lol]

So PS3 it will be, though I don't mean to undermine Xbox 360 or whatever.. Just a personal preference..
Old 24th October 2008, 17:24   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Star,

Your post sure was helpful.. thanks..

1. I'd still go with PS3. The Blue Ray disc player is a sure nice so, so is in-built Wi-Fi option.

2. I'm not getting the LCD from sony, it would only be the PS3. I'll see if I can work some tricks and get an HDMI cable and a game.. A game at the least, since that is what is price-ier amongst the two..

3. I'm not going to buy 10 game titles and sit with all of them at the same time to worry about extensive library of games [cannot afford 10 at a time too, that would be more than the cost of another PS3.... lol]

So PS3 it will be, though I don't mean to undermine Xbox 360 or whatever.. Just a personal preference..
Glad to be of help. The PS3 is a slick, well-built machine. There was one extra cost I incurred after buying it. I figured it's a computer so I bought a UPS for it. You may want to consider that to protect your investment from erratic power.
Also the Sony HDMI cable costs Rs. 2,500 - you can get good games for b/w Rs. 1,300 and 1,700.
Old 24th October 2008, 18:25   #568
BHPian

Questions on PS3

I have questions on PS3

1. Does a PS3 upscale Standard Defition DVDs while playing on a LCD TV and connected through HDMI to 720/1080?

2. Is the Blu Ray Remote available in India? Price?

3. If i get a PS3 from US, would it play region coded DVDs from India (original like from Moser Baer, T-series etc.).

4. I understand that PS3 games do not have region encoding. Correct?

5. Are all PS2 games compatible with PS3? GT3, NFS etc.?
Old 24th October 2008, 19:42   #569
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
There was one extra cost I incurred after buying it. I figured it's a computer so I bought a UPS for it. You may want to consider that to protect your investment from erratic power.
Also the Sony HDMI cable costs Rs. 2,500 - you can get good games for b/w Rs. 1,300 and 1,700.
Oh... What you've said makes sense. I thought I'd just run it through a stabilizer, but of course, a UPS would make sense...

But I'd be getting a home ups for the new house, and I'll be using the PS3 only for about a month and half more [at my current residence] before I move to the new one... So, I am hoping using a stabilizer until then would still be safe?? [if power fails, will the switching off of the PS3 make it crash (or something in those lines) if it happens too often?]

A sony hdmi cable costs 2500/-... Whoa! I didn't know... Ok, let me try the cable importantly then, and maybe if lucky, a game...

But, I am sure other good quality HDMI cables are available for less than this price... I would be walking up atleast 3-4 electronic stores tomorrow, so I'll figure and get a cable that's not too expensive..

Bengaluru members: Which is the best place to go buy PS3 titles? I'd like to see a large collection from which I can pick my first one [or two] games... [thinking of getting Resistance: Fall of Man as the first one, but I'll look around before it]...
Old 24th October 2008, 19:55   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A sony hdmi cable costs 2500/-... Whoa! I didn't know... Ok, let me try the cable importantly then, and maybe if lucky, a game...

But, I am sure other good quality HDMI cables are available for less than this price... I would be walking up atleast 3-4 electronic stores tomorrow, so I'll figure and get a cable that's not too expensive..
I used a non sony HDMI cable with mine which cost me about £10 in the UK (you can even get cheaper ones if you want). There is no need to get an official Sony HDMI cable.

I do have an official Sony remote though which cost £15.99. There are 3rd party remotes availble but there is very little difference in price (and they look rubbish) so you might as well get an official one.

Last edited by bigman : 24th October 2008 at 19:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks