Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2023, 09:25   #781
BHPian

Re: The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread

I purchased an Apple Watch Series 8 GPS LTE from the US last week and it's working perfectly well in India on Airtel network. There was hardly any setup required.

I have been using Fitbit Versa since 2019 till now. I was very happy with the Fitbit. But the Versa suddenly stopped tracking Heart Rate in Sep 2022 and the online customer care was unable to resolve the issue. I was told that there are no repair centres in India. Parallely, five of my other friends who also had Fitbits (Charge 2, Sense) also had trouble and had to discard their watches. So, I felt that investing in another Fitbit would not be wise.

I then purchased the above Apple Watch Series 8 GPS LTE last week.

Comparison
1. The Fitbit automatically detects and records all exercises. The Apple Watch asks after a few minutes whether to record an exercise or not. If one fails to see the notification, your effort will not be recorded.

2. The Calories tracked by both watches is completely different. In Fitbit, I used to complete 2800 calories before I slept each day. But in the Apple Watch, with the same level of exercise, strangely logs only 700 to 900 calories. So, I wonder if Apple Watch records calories burnt ONLY during exercise and not during routine activity like sitting, chatting, eating, digesting, breathing etc.

3. Apple has good SPO2 sensors and ECG trackers.

4. Non fitness applications, like phone, GPS, Watch faces, Car apps etc are wonderful.

More inputs will follow as I discover more features.
ColAjayDrives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 05:41   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAjayDrives View Post
2. The Calories tracked by both watches is completely different. In Fitbit, I used to complete 2800 calories before I slept each day. But in the Apple Watch, with the same level of exercise, strangely logs only 700 to 900 calories. So, I wonder if Apple Watch records calories burnt ONLY during exercise and not during routine activity like sitting, chatting, eating, digesting, breathing etc..
Apple Watch shows both Active and resting calories separately. One has to add both to get total calories spent. Active calories is what you burn with excercise and any form of activity while resting is for sleeping , sitting etc. Fitbit shows both together. Hence the difference. In Apple Watch you can go to more health data and find the resting calories as well

Hope this clarifies
subraiyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 21:22   #783
BHPian

Hello,

Need suggestions on a good smartwatch which can track steps accurately for my wife. She is currently using a MI Band 6, therefore, prefers a smartwatch which isn't bulky and Android friendly.

Budget - 20k.

Thanks!
Old 8th February 2023, 13:15   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Hello,

Need suggestions on a good smartwatch which can track steps accurately for my wife. She is currently using a MI Band 6, therefore, prefers a smartwatch which isn't bulky and Android friendly.

Budget - 20k.

Thanks!
I would recommend samsung galaxy watch 4/5 40mm. I am also looking for one for my wife. Just missed deal on watch 5 40mm, which was available for less than 20k on flipkart. Now the prices have again shot up to 28k.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 15:36   #785
BHPian

Quote:

Budget - 20k.
I'm personally using the Mi Band 6 and can vouch that the step accuracy pretty darn good in the same. Just for the sake of upgrading to a smartwatch, I'd highly suggest that you look into the Amazfit stable. My wife has been using the Amazfit Bip U for quite some time and it's very durable, has great battery life and moreover the step counting is good too. But I won't rely on the heartrate sensor either of these devices. Huawei Watch fit/fit 2 is another one that has really good sensors overall.

The Galaxy watch is a full fledged fitness tracker for that matter, but the battery life is bound to disappoint you. I would've suggested the Honor bands and Fitbit Inspire 3 owing to their accuracy for fitness tracking, but then again, they're fitness bands like the Mi band.
RiGOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 22:47   #786
Senior - BHPian

Jumped on the Garmin side (Venu 2 Plus) from Galaxy watch and the first thing that amazes me is the battery life!

Wow! 3 days and still running. I don't think I am going back to Samsung galaxy camp anytime soon!
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 21:09   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I would recommend samsung galaxy watch 4/5 40mm. I am also looking for one for my wife. Just missed deal on watch 5 40mm, which was available for less than 20k on flipkart. Now the prices have again shot up to 28k.
After some offline and online research, I'm strongly inclined towards the Galaxy Watch 5. Battery life is the only one thing holding me against the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
The Galaxy watch is a full fledged fitness tracker for that matter, but the battery life is bound to disappoint you.
Yes, I understand it is a great watch with a bum battery.

I'm also looking at the Garmin Venu sq2 but a bit skeptical on how the connectivity/app is.

Also, are Fitbits any good? Too many mixed reviews on them.

She uses a Pixel phone and hope that doesn't limit the galaxy watch?

Last edited by Resfeber : 14th February 2023 at 21:15. Reason: added info.
Old 15th February 2023, 22:12   #788
Senior - BHPian

Got gifted a noise fit watch by my wife for Valentine day! Was a pleasant surprise to be honest. First watch I received was a used piece so requested for a replacement and got a proper box piece the second time.

Watch itself was a breeze to setup and is light on the wrist. Was having around 90% charge out of the box. It also does not look big on my slender wrist. Yet to explore fully and looking into the details but at a high level it comes with heart rate, SPO2, Sleep & activity tracker, music, auto record sport activities etc.

The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-noisefit.jpg

Watch looks a perfect albeit cheap clone of apple watch and also has most of the features of it (design, creating watch faces etc). Need to check if it automatically detects workouts. Will update in a few days about battery and any other features that I can explore.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 08:57   #789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm also looking at the Garmin Venu sq2 but a bit skeptical on how the connectivity/app is.
Garmin is superbly organized and the app seamlessly across Android and iOS. I have been with it for near 7-8 years and had no hitches.

I dont want to sound like a fanboy. But my review is based on usage. (After 4-5 years of use on Android I had no choice but to move to iOS and the change was seamless).
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 10:43   #790
BHPian

Quote:
...I'm also looking at the Garmin Venu sq2 but a bit skeptical on how the connectivity/app is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Garmin is superbly organized and the app seamlessly across Android and iOS. I have been with it for near 7-8 years and had no hitches...
+1 to Ampere's recommendation. I have turned a Garmin fan myself in just a month.
Have the Venu 2. Love the battery life (10+ days) and the app.
My next watch will most probably be a Garmin Fenix 7X in a couple of years or its next version.

Quote:
...Also, are Fitbits any good? Too many mixed reviews on them.
She uses a Pixel phone and hope that doesn't limit the galaxy watch?
Moved from Fitbit after 7 years. Google has acquired them and it is itself confused which app to use, Google Fit or Fitbit. Avoid I'd say. Their quality and service has nosedived.

Galaxy Watch has terrible battery life just like Apple Watches.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 12:02   #791
Team-BHP Support

A couple a thoughts from my side: I see folks looking at two aspects. Firstly a smart watch and second a fitness tracker.

Please note: The moment you get consumed into a smart watch based need, the battery is going to take a hit. Because you will be constantly fiddling with the watch.

But if the idea is to use like a fitness tracker along with a good watch like presence, then the battery life goes up by orders of magnitude. Because then one would turn-off all phone based notifications and use the watch only for fitness/health based needs.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 18:29   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Garmin is superbly organized and the app seamlessly across Android and iOS. I have been with it for near 7-8 years and had no hitches.
Yes, a watch that works across both the platforms would be a huge plus as my wife may move to iPhone next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
+1 to Ampere's recommendation. I have turned a Garmin fan myself in just a month.
Have the Venu 2. Love the battery life (10+ days) and the app.
My next watch will most probably be a Garmin Fenix 7X in a couple of years or its next version.

Moved from Fitbit after 7 years. Google has acquired them and it is itself confused which app to use, Google Fit or Fitbit. Avoid I'd say. Their quality and service has nosedived.

Galaxy Watch has terrible battery life just like Apple Watches.
Went to Croma and had a look at the Samsung Watch 5 and the 5 pro. Really liked the watch 5, the pro version feels a bit thick and heavy. She's 50-50 on the idea of charging it everyday, eventually questioning the life of the device.

Discarded the idea of getting a Fitbit after looking at their ridiculous Premium pricing.

None of the premium watch stores that sell Garmin have a demo watch, so I really need to decide based on user feedback and YouTube reviews. Maybe visiting an exclusive Garmin store would be better, since, fitness tracking is a priority and smart features are added advantage.

Will have a look at Venu SQ2 and Venu2 at the store, any reason to choose Venu2 over the Venu SQ2?

Quote:
A couple a thoughts from my side: I see folks looking at two aspects. Firstly a smart watch and second a fitness tracker.

Please note: The moment you get consumed into a smart watch based need, the battery is going to take a hit. Because you will be constantly fiddling with the watch.

But if the idea is to use like a fitness tracker along with a good watch like presence, then the battery life goes up by orders of magnitude. Because then one would turn-off all phone based notifications and use the watch only for fitness/health based needs.
Yes, I wholly agree with your point. My wife works in a genomic lab and requires her to wear gloves almost all the time. To have basic smart features saves her the time and effort to not to reply to not-so-important calls/messages.

She works out regularly and needs a device which can monitor sleep accurately (her present Mi Band fails miserably here), track stress, steps, calories burnt, running etc. Notifications from phone are hit and miss too, so she needs to constantly look at the phone.
So charging every other day shouldn't be an issue but if it is once a week affair like the Garmins, that would be wonderful!

Going by this requirement/usage pattern, would it be wise to choose a Garmin or a Watch5?!

Thanks.
Old 16th February 2023, 18:47   #793
BHPian

Quote:
...The moment you get consumed into a smart watch based need, the battery is going to take a hit. Because you will be constantly fiddling with the watch...
My Venu 2 has all the smartphone notifications except Whatsapp and Gmail. I use it extensively as a fitness tracker and a smart watch (tracks office emails, MS Team pings, MyGate approvals, etc.).

Quote:
....None of the premium watch stores that sell Garmin have a demo watch, so I really need to decide based on user feedback and YouTube reviews. Maybe visiting an exclusive Garmin store would be better, since, fitness tracking is a priority and smart features are added advantage.
Garmin has two stores in Bengalore which have demo watches. One in HSR (where I went and checked the watch before buying), another a newly opened store in Indiranagar.

Quote:
...She works out regularly and needs a device which can monitor sleep accurately, track stress, steps, calories burnt, running etc. Notifications from phone are hit and miss too, so she needs to constantly look at the phone.
So charging every other day shouldn't be an issue but if it is once a week affair like the Garmins, that would be wonderful!
Going by this requirement/usage pattern, would it be wise to choose a Garmin or a Watch5?!
Thanks.
The requirements scream Garmin. Have a look in person and decide. Go to the store. There is literally no upper limit on Garmins in terms of price and metrics to track. All the best.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 06:07   #794
BHPian

I am in the market for a rugged smartwatch that can pair with an iphone. I am looking for a non-apple alternatives at a competitive price point. My primary requirements are general fitness tracking, get data around my runs, swim and strength training, GPS and music integration and the capability to receive or answer calls. I don't want to invest big money into smartwatches in general. I am looking for something that can last 5-7 years without any hassles.

My shortlisted options are:

1. Amazfit TREX 2. I kind of love this rugged smart watch and the features it offers. But, will it receive calls on an iPhone. I see some YouTube videos capable of doing it, but most of the reviewers are calling it one of the cons as it cannot receive calls.

2. Garmin Instinct 2 - Garmin watches are expensive in India. I generally look for deals or will try to get it when I travel or when someone travels. This one is nearly 40k, and at that price point I can get a Series 8 for a few thousand more.

3. Ticwatch Pro - Very similar to Amazfit, however the price point is higher in India, close to 30k I believe.

Do we have any other options. I understand finding a smartwatch that would work well in the Apple ecosystem is a task in itself. I thought I could pick some of the expert minds out here.
Old 28th April 2023, 06:58   #795
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
My shortlisted options are:

2. Garmin Instinct 2 - Garmin watches are expensive in India. I generally look for deals or will try to get it when I travel or when someone travels. This one is nearly 40k, and at that price point I can get a Series 8 for a few thousand more.
I have a couple of friends who are using their Garmin Instinct / Instinct 2 and they are extremely happy with it. Serves the purpose well, extremely durable, and the Solar version can go on for weeks without charging. As a fitness watch it is much better than the Series 8. The latter have more smart watch features, LTE connectivity and so on, but you will have to charge it almost every day.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks