Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2019, 17:42   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
The box is easy to install and setup,
===
Oreo TV app covers you for all the channels you need to watch.
Thank you so much, will check on Oreo TV also before I decide a switch.
Old 19th October 2019, 08:54   #347
BHPian

The reason for the drastic increase is so called NCF (network capacity fee) of Rs. 130 + taxes equals Rs. 154 - which you have to pay anyway whether you take a single channel.
Also, pricing of Rs. 19 for one channel is ridiculous - channels are not free, they show ads anyway, so why the double charge. The NCF is not justified and definitely vested interests exist and TRAI is involved. You can buy an ordinary set top box for Rs. 500 and get all the free channels without any NCF, this seems like the NCF is gift by TRAI to DTH providers coming out of the subscribers pocket and its a huge amount to pay for just keeping your connection alive.
Old 19th October 2019, 11:31   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
The reason for the drastic increase is so called NCF (network capacity fee) of Rs. 130 + taxes equals Rs. 154 - which you have to pay anyway whether you take a single channel.
The NCF is not justified and definitely vested interests exist and TRAI is involved. You can buy an ordinary set top box for Rs. 500 and get all the free channels without any NCF, this seems like the NCF is gift by TRAI to DTH providers coming out of the subscribers pocket and its a huge amount to pay for just keeping your connection alive.
I feel government is using NCF to fund Doordarshan similar to TV license fee in UK it's just they are not openly telling. The genesis for rising cost of watching TV lies in forced introduction of CAS way back in 2003. It helped only corporate and has led to substandard programming content. Also Government rule of compulsory 30- 40% Indian content made broadcaster to charge more.
Old 19th October 2019, 17:01   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
Also, pricing of Rs. 19 for one channel is ridiculous - channels are not free, they show ads anyway, so why the double charge. The NCF is not justified and definitely vested interests exist and TRAI is involved. You can buy an ordinary set top box for Rs. 500 and get all the free channels without any NCF, this seems like the NCF is gift by TRAI to DTH providers coming out of the subscribers pocket and its a huge amount to pay for just keeping your connection alive.

I'm glad we've decided to discuss the real issues with the new pricing. We probably need another poll to check how many of us are actually "saving money".

TRAI has betrayed the Indian consumer, but I'm sure the media will not rake up this issue, they've fallen silent more so than ever.
Old 19th October 2019, 17:26   #350
PPS
Senior - BHPian

It seems some broadcasters have slashed their prices. The likes of Sony & Colors are now Rs 12 compared to Rs 19 earlier.
TRAI channel selector still doesn't reflect them on their website!

https://telecomtalk.info/dth-cable-t...ls-rs7/224073/
Old 2nd January 2020, 12:21   #351
Senior - BHPian

Trai Makes Changes to Tariff Regime: 200 Channels at Rs 130, 40% NCF for Multi TV Users and More

Source:
https://telecomtalk.info/trai-change...e-2020/241321/
Old 4th January 2020, 21:55   #352
BHPian

Broadcasters are already up in arms over this new tariff order:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/73077531.cms

They have withdrawn the contracts with cable and DTH operators. Expect the new order to be challenged in court.
Old 8th March 2020, 18:12   #353
BANNED

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/telecom/new...-india-2188914

What exactly does the above article mean?
Couple of days back, NDTV24x7 stopped being a free channel in my parent's dishtv connection. Now I add to separately get them subscribed to the channel.
Wouldn't 100 to 200 change mean more free channels rather than less?
Old 12th March 2020, 16:20   #354
Senior - BHPian

I use Asianet cable at home for my limited TV viewing needs. Problem is that Asianet does not list all the bouquets offered by the networks.

I wanted to get Star's Hindi-Malayalam Premium pack which was listed at Rs.135 on their site but Asianet does not offer that. So I am forced to take Star World HD, Star Movies HD and Star Movies Select HD as individual channels.
Old 5th June 2022, 18:07   #355
BHPian

My Videocon D2h has been inactive for a while and I was looking to watch the French Open Final Live without going via the streaming option. Just for ₹17, I was able to subscribe to Sony Ten 2 HD in a jiffy thanks to the Trai Channel Selector app.

Here's how I went about. In the app, entered my registered phone number and received an otp immediately. The otp is also displayed on the TV as a scrolling message (in all channels). Once otp is entered, I see the current plan and I went ahead and selected the Sony channel and proceeded with the subscription change request. I started receiving the channel in less than 15 seconds of placing the request.

Of course I had to top up my account with base pack of ₹150.

In the current scenario where you get multitude of streaming options, I feel DTH/CABLE TV is the cost effective option for adhoc subscriptions.
Kudos to Trai for implementing the system and making it so user friendly. I believe it works with all providers.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 20:15   #356
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
My Videocon D2h has been inactive for a while and I was looking to watch the French Open Final Live without going via the streaming option. Just for ₹17, I was able to subscribe to Sony Ten 2 HD in a jiffy thanks to the Trai Channel Selector app.
I do the same on tata sky app. Apart from channels in base pack, for other channels add them and drop them as you need as many times you like. Depending on how many days I kept the channel active, I will be charged for only those many days instead of full month.

With umpteen channels and sport events spread across 20 different channels, it doesnt make sense to subscribe all channels which works out expensive. More over my tv time is drastically reduced these days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks