Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 11:29   #316
BHPian

Re: Jio Fiber plans announced - any idea how DTH pricing will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
As per my understanding, if you take up annual subscription of any plan, (say 699*12= 8388), Jio will provide you data services Plus a set top box plus a bluetooth speaker for free. This should suffice for TV watching.
I am not sure if the router/ gateway is to be paid separately for or not. Other may educate us on the matter.
How does one subscribe to channels on the free set top box? Will it come with free to air channels with one having to pay extra for paid channels?
Old 8th September 2019, 11:17   #317
BHPian

Was just reading on telecomtalk website that subscription for the TV will have to be through LCO's.

On another note is it possible to remove the fta channels on Tata Sky?
Old 23rd September 2019, 14:01   #318
BANNED

Re: TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Go to channel selector in TRAI website and select all the required pay channels from the a.la.carte list. After the selection note the total price and press optimize button at the top right corner of the screen. This will show what are the channel bouquets you need to buy to view the pay channels. This optimisation will knock atleast INR 50 from your original price. Ofcourse you can select FTA channels from the same list. Then select the same package in DTH provider .
This totally doesn't work.
As a simple test, go to the site
https://channel.trai.gov.in/

Choose 2 channels
- Sony Entertainment Television Rs. 19
- Set MAX Rs. 15
Total = Rs. 34

Click optimize & it advises you to choose these 2 channels individually without any bouquet

However, there are actually bouquets which make this cheaper & also include other channels.
For e.g. Sony's Happy India Bouquet 1 has for Rs. 31
- SET
- SET Max
- MAX 2
- SET Marathi
- Mix
- Pal
- Sony Yay
- Sony Wah

There are also other bouquets which include these 2 channels.

The Trai optimize doesn't seem to optimize anything.
Has anyone else found a way to optimize stuff?
Old 23rd September 2019, 18:00   #319
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The Trai optimize doesn't seem to optimize anything.
Has anyone else found a way to optimize stuff?
Yes, there is an issue with the Optimizer since past few months. Problem on TRAI website is that on the 'Happy India 31' list, Sony(SET) isn't there due to an error i assume. Also, after optimizing i was offered 'Colors Bengal Budget Plus' for some reason, inspite of me selecting Maharashtra as a State before & also opting for 'Zee Family Marathi Pack'!
I guess Optimizer isn't exactly smart.
Old 23rd September 2019, 18:34   #320
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Problem on TRAI website is that on the 'Happy India 31' list, Sony(SET) isn't there due to an error i assume.
No, it does have that bouquet - https://imgur.com/pmWUXpO.png
Old 24th September 2019, 11:16   #321
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
No, it does have that bouquet - https://imgur.com/pmWUXpO.png
Once you select the Bouquet list, you'll find it. But for some reason its not shown in the Optimizer. Atleast, that's what happened with me.
Old 7th October 2019, 07:39   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Dth services being dropped by subscribers:

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le29568206.ece

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th October 2019 at 17:56. Reason: Keep the discussion on track.
Old 7th October 2019, 09:09   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Dth services being dropped by subscribers:

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le29568206.ece
The DTH companies brought it upon themselves. They have been spoiled by the "package" concept that they didn't realize there are other business practices, which have been followed in all other industries.

No sympathies for them.
Old 7th October 2019, 11:29   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

^^This new pricing regime was probably the push Indians needed to move to streaming services. The greed of DTH providers was the final nail in their coffin.
Old 7th October 2019, 12:31   #325
Senior - BHPian

TRAI will singlehandedly kill the DTH business in India. I wonder who is happier after TRAI got involved last year. I used to have Hindi, English entertainment, regional content all in HD on my TV for around 350rs before TRAI decided to poke its nose into the matters. Now that it would cost me around 700 or more to have the same choice, I use TV very less, primarily by mom for regional content, and it costs around 250 for 10% of the channels I used to have.

Congrats TRAI, you reduced my expenditures!
Old 7th October 2019, 18:22   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
TRAI will singlehandedly kill the DTH business in India.
It's almost official - Over 20 Million DTH Subscribers Quit on Their Connections After Trai Tariff Regime

https://telecomtalk.info/20million-d...t-trai/221765/

I guess the demand would have fallen drastically in the cities. I have disconnected my connection and will do the same for parents once I'm able to visit hometown and set up streaming services for them.
Old 13th October 2019, 16:26   #327
BHPian

DTH is another technology riding into the sunset. You can debate whether TRAI's meddling hastened this, the fact is DTH operators ruled the roost for a long time.

Whenever I renewed my Tata Sky subscription I used to wonder if it was worth paying so much for something I watched/used so less.

My viewership habits have changed. I watch a lot of Youtube. My YT fix updates me on news, teaches skills like photography, I follow my favourite vloggers as they eat/travel across the world.

In comparison, I would be stumped if you asked me my favourite TV show. FYI it used to "Big Bang Theory".

Luckily for me, I had to dismantle my dish when my building underwent renovation. I never felt the need to put it back again.
Old 13th October 2019, 16:28   #328
BHPian

IMHO, the industry can definitely blame TRAI regulations when the major companies shut shop due to the weird pricing structures, and onslaught of Jio Fiber DTH/Airtel Xstream.

I was an Annual HD Pack Tatasky subscriber, which gave me all HD + SD + 12 Movies at 8k. Now I'm paying INR 750/month for 60% channels, (all SD channels have been removed).

Interestingly, our domestic help was also complaining. She paid INR 150 for Dish TV earlier, but now pays INR 230+ for a lower amount of TV Channels.

The telecom/DTH authorities are definitely playing to appease certain vested interests.
Old 13th October 2019, 17:57   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It's almost official - Over 20 Million DTH Subscribers Quit on Their Connections After Trai Tariff Regime
I guess the demand would have fallen drastically in the cities.
I am afraid DTH is going to disappear sooner than expected, atleast in cities. I personally know quite a lot of people who’ve either trimmed their current plan or dropped the subscription altogether. If it wasn’t for daily soaps or nationalistic news debates, they might’ve been out of game already.
Old 13th October 2019, 20:21   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
IMHO, the industry can definitely blame TRAI regulations when the major companies shut shop due to the weird pricing structures, and onslaught of Jio Fiber DTH/Airtel Xstream.

I was an Annual HD Pack Tatasky subscriber, which gave me all HD + SD + 12 Movies at 8k. Now I'm paying INR 750/month for 60% channels, (all SD channels have been removed).
I had the same plan and same result, we also got rid of multi TV connection. Currently we have kept one TV with tatasky and one tv is used only for streaming or consoles. My mother is not ready to give up on regional news/content and doesn’t trust internet connection fully yet. Hoping for a change in next one or two years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks