Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you prefer: Android or iOS?
Android only 182 41.08%
iOS only 150 33.86%
Both are fine. I might pick up either of the two options. 111 25.06%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2020, 17:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android vs iOS : Which do you prefer and why?

Voted for "both".

Earlier I always thought iphones are uselessly expensive till I bought one for my better half(iPhone 6) in 2017 mid(Got it for 27k). The longevity & fluidic touch experience is something I have become a fan of. It has been working flawlessly (battery changed for 2k earlier this year) since 3+ years. For normal social media, facetime, streaming Netflix/Amazon prime over TV (Chromecast) and browsing it's working pretty well & I don't see a need to change it for another year.

Among androids, had a decent run with OnePlus X(bought for 17k) for ~3 years (2015-18), although after 2 years it started showing its age and last 8 months went pretty slow. 2018 Nov, I got the Nokia 6.1plus(15k) and boy its already begging for a change. The charging port has totally gone bonkers. Performance is okay-ish. I am trying to drag it to 2 years mark somehow and be done with it. I know not every C-type port will have same charging issue but as per my experience mid range(15-20k) android phones last for around 1.5-2 years before getting laggy.

So it's kind of a seesaw for me. If budget is <20k, android it is. If it's ~30k, will try out an apple for the longer life. Have my eyes on the new SE for its compact dimensions and A13 chipset from 11pro.

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th August 2020 at 18:09.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 18:04   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Android & Apple are like Ola & Uber. We desparately need a third alternative. Someone who could combine the hardware of Android phones to the software of Apple and keep the prices reasonable.
Microsoft tried that with their Windows Phone and failed terribly. Though the early versions (prior to WP8) were quite bad with the OS lacking proper notifications management as well as a recent apps switcher, the later versions were pretty good. I quite liked the Windows Phone 10 user experience and would have switched over from Android (which was not as good at that time, as it is now), had the app development scene been any better. It was fast, fluid and reasonably secure like iOS and devices were available at accessible price points as well.

But somehow, many popular apps never made it to the Windows Store, thus letting down it's user base and effectively killing the OS.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 23:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
For Tablets - Undoubtedly go for iOS (iPad). I haven't seen an Android tablet yet that gives me the overall experience of any iPad. It somehow seems that manufacturers have just given up on competing with iPad.
True. But Chromebooks (half baked product today!!!) are getting better and should close the gap within a few years. Chromebooks have a lot of potential - even Apple saw the threat and went as far implementing desktop class Safari in iPad OS 13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
I HAVE A DILEMMA GUYS : Back in 2014, I got my first iPhone 5S, upgraded to 6S in 2016 and XR in 2019.

I clearly remember when I made the first call attempt to my dad, it prompted ‘call failed’ and only after my 3/4 attempts,....
Up till recently I borrowed my mom’s spare Samsung J5 for some Tele Medication purposes.

This made me wonder if iOS, which is designed mostly in the US, where probably network isn’t as bad as ours, need perfect Signal to work.
I've experienced the opposite multiple times in the US. In remote regions, I've seen iPhones get extremely good call quality and internet whereas flagship Android phones were struggling to connect, all on the same network and plan.

On contrary to expectations, the US has extremely poor cell coverage outside cities as most of the rural areas are sparsely populated. My dad said that Jio 4G between Jaipur-Delhi is much better than AT&T between San Jose and LA.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 14:45   #49
BHPian

Voted iOS.

Was an exclusive Android user till 2014, tried Windows Phone for a short period and finally jumped into the iOS bandwagon in 2015.

The iOS experience is smooth and buttery, Day 1 to Day 1000 or more. Do not know about the Androids these days, but back in 2010-14 they would be hard pressed to maintain that sort of performance.

Last year, the wife bought a Google Pixel 3a - in three months the phone started having bootloop and battery drain issues. With absolutely no customer service to speak of, I have ended up with a 30k lemon on my hands.

So, as of today I no longer think of anything other than an iOS device.
Pequod is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 16:43   #50
BHPian

I am a Software engineer and developed quite a few apps for iPhone(Native apps) and you would have guessed by now what my choice is.

My first device was an iPad air 1. During my college days, a lot of my friends were building interesting apps on Android from day 1 of college. Even though I had an android phone during that time, I was always interested to build for iOS. Pestered dad for the cheapest MacBook air which costed 45k with offers 5 years ago. Took a few online courses and gradually started building basic apps for iPad(Not published any though). As I got confident, Bought an iPhone as well and ever since that moment, I forgot about pen drives. Airdrop has been super easy for me. I even made a career out of it, Bought another iPhone and Apple watch for myself after bagging my first job and my office provided me with a Macbook pro as well.

Few other things that I made sure my experience is even easier when using Apple products,

1. Signedup for iCloud which costs me Rs.200 per month and all the data are backed up to iCloud often.
2. Signedup for Apple music which costs Rs.49 per month on student subscription since my college provided email is still active. AppleTV is free if you're verified as a student.

In the last four years, I never had to suffer if my device froze when I needed at the most which happened in Android phones of that age.

My 2014 iPad is still in good condition with battery replaced(third party) and mom is watching youtube videos. I have been attending meetings on it from home, Watch football/Movies on it. It's amazing even after 6 years it's holding up pretty well. Although it doesn't get major updates anymore, It's still silky to use for basic tasks.

My 2015 Apple MacBook Air, Battered and played around in college with multiple dents all around still works and my brother is using it for his college. The battery now just hold up for 4 hours unlike the all the battery I previously used to have.

Although I updated my devices to match my professional development needs currently, As a casual user all the basic models have been enough for me and never once I had to suffer in when I needed the devices.

Things frustrated me with my previous devices before I replaced them with Apple products,
1. The windows laptop sucked. I bought it for 37k, hardly installed anything, Slow as sloth, heavy as carrying bricks inside my college bag. During an important presentation in my college, It hung up and shut down, I had to restart where it started installing updates. This was also one of the reasons presented to dad to persuade him to buy MacBook Air. It was an awesome machine for me. Keynote presentations were superb and I carried it around like it was a paper book. Although I put it down a few times and got dents in all four corners, It still works perfectly.

2. I owned Moto e, upgraded to Lenovo k10 note and then to Motog4 plus before I bought my iPhone 8 in 2017. I had to put up with poor experience. Since I bought an iPhone, there is no looking back. If I had to make a call, I make a call, Unlike android where it asks me to set the default call app when some apps have call permissions. If I want to make a call, I make a call. If I have to send a message, I send a message. Simple as that and never wanted to fiddle with all the unnecessary customisations. My brother is using it now and even after three years where most android phones would be dead by then, It's holding up really well and he has started to learn and build apps for iPhone.

Once you're into the so-called ecosystem, There is no looking back. I am satisfied with how my digital productivity has improved multi-folds with good products. Personally I would never go back to Android/Windows ecosystem if there is a choice, but people have different needs and I completely respect that.

This is still like buying a Rapid/Vento/Polo vs other manufacturers. Apple might lack features compared to competitors where they offer loads of gizmos and the maintenance is high But gives you satisfaction every time you use the product. I know this comparison is unnecessary though

Last edited by gasinveins : 11th August 2020 at 16:50.
gasinveins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 17:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

2014 - 2017: iOS
2017 - 2019: Android
2019 - now: iOS

iOS has always been the choice. Not because I am a crazy Apple fanboy but knowing that the iOS software is standard across every single Apple device gives me confidence about the robustness and stability of the operating system. Also, I have an iPad as a daily user so syncing of data across devices help.
Like my cars I like to keep my phones for long. iOS has been overall reliable and the devices usually last for about 5 years.
Old 12th August 2020, 10:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

I am not a phone enthusiast! But I do follow a few channels like Mr. Mobile etc as it is a big part of our lives nowadays.

I like the idea of the iPhone. A device which has user experience on the front foot. The build is great, and it's optimized & supported well. Besides, I don't play games on the phone and do not entertain lousy Apps. So, apple can work for me.

But I honestly can't pay so much for a phone. Besides, there is the added cost of ecosystem too. I have always used the clean androids. Currently, running a Moto X4. Not bad, but it could be a lot better.

So, I am really looking forward to the Pixel 4a. That's my kind of phone. Hope the India specific tax is reasonable this time. Getting one from the US is tough with the travel restrictions nowadays.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

As OS both are pretty good. Android though has different implementations based on manufacturer, while some are terrific, some are so-so. I love the pixel and one plus version. With current prices though I would not pick up Iphone. For a novice, camera,battery,performance of iphone is available at almost 1/3rd the price.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:30   #54
BHPian

I was on Windows Lumia 1520 for 3 years before they shut down. I was in big dilemma if I should go ios or Android.
Though budget was not a constraint I had a mental block of spending on electronics. Finally picked up oneplus 5T and have the same phone with me for almost 3 years now (dec it will complete 3 years).

No major issues and only once I had to flash the software. Very easy to take back up and one doesn't have to pay crazy for storage. Near stock android is smooth as well

I understand all the issue around privacy but if one is using anything from google, like browser, maps, mails or any extension one is as good as exposed. So none of us are truly insulated from privacy issues.

I think mid range and high end android phones also last 3-4 years without issue so ios no longer has the advantage of longitivity.

The biggest issue with ios is connecting with other systems. It's a royal pain. Simple task like downloading songs on phone, connecting USB to car audio are not straightforward task.

ios is expensive no doubts on that. iphone 11 pro is priced at 1000-1100 dollars. With median salary of 3-4000 dollars in USA its about 1/3 monthly salary.
In India same phone is priced at 110,000 to 120,000 INR. This would be more than monthly salary of 90% of Indian population. Even if we simply use conversion it should have been 75-80,000 INR. I refuse to believe that taxes add up 40K

I will be sticking to android for foreseeable future for the sake of my bank balance. Funnily enough my company pays me 25K to buy a new phone, despite this I am not buying a new one. If its working why waste money
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 11:35   #55
BHPian

Voted iOS only, but it comes down to usage and preference. I was an Android user from 2010 till 2017 and from 2017 till date iOS. So below are my observation based on my experience.

IOS has its equal share of advantages and disadvantages,

Advantages

- Butter smooth OS with zero lag whatsoever, I am using IPhone 7 Plus which has only 3 GB, but RAM management is very good.

- 5 years of confirmed updates, my phone will be getting IOS 14 and next year too I might get an update.

- Security and no ads.

- If used wisely, even after years the phone would not slow down.

- Though it’s refresh rate is only 60 Hz, you would not find any noticeable difference.

Disadvantages

- Battery life of it's phones are not that great, if your preference is gaming or heavy tasking, look away.

- The options to customize your phones are nil. You can’t play around with custom rom like android.

- Options are very minimal in iOS, unlike android where it is flooded.

- Though illegal, in android one can download movies and songs but that’s not possible in IOS, atleast I haven’t tried.

- Cost is too high, if you would live with the phone for 4 to 5 years, then worth the money.

So to sum up, if one can live with the cons, IOS is the best OS one can experience.
vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 11:42   #56
BHPian

Both are fine for me but depends on the Phone.

I had a bad experience with iPhone 4S, but really good experience with iPhone 6, SE and currently the iPhone 11.

On Android most of my experience was on entry level to mid range, Lenovo K3 Note, Moto E, LG Nexus and it was bad and un-intuitive. I was really impressed by my One Plus 5T though. So It depends on the phone rather than the OS for me.
Old 12th August 2020, 12:01   #57

iOS is much smoother, much more reliable and in today's context, offers far better security and privacy features as compared to Android.

I have been an iOS fan since 2015, when I first bought an iPhone 5s. All my family uses Android. Whenever I have to use their phones even briefly, for something as easy as making a phone call, Android seems super annoying to me with its 'pop-up' based interface. Android users are probably used to it, but I can see how all those popups and little distractions would make the user inefficient and slow.

Also, a lot of people here are pointing out Apple's upgrading costs and how you need to replace your iPhone every 1-2 years, which I find to be absolutely not true. I used my 5s for 3+ years, and my current 7 is also 3+ years old with hardly any slowing down or degradation of battery - I plan to continue using it for another year. In fact, I feel Android phones (specially One Plus) slow down considerably in a year or so and you need to either upgrade or reset everything to be able to function.
Old 12th August 2020, 12:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

It has been a year I moved over to Android, after 5 years on iOS. From an iPhone 6 to a Xiaomi Mi 9.

If you are after a device that works to perfection and if security is a high priority, there is nothing to beat an Apple/iOS device. Everything works flawlessly. Its even better if you are on Apple's ecosystem, that is, if you have other Apple devices. They all work well together. The way Apple have extracted performance and efficiency out of their devices is unbeatable. The Apple tax you pay, which is a significant premium over an Android device can be seen and experienced when you use one. If I need to spend >100k on a device, I'd rather hand that over to Apple versus an Android.

My new android experience has been great so far. Its probably too early to comment but I have not experienced a hang or a device lock up, which was quite frequent on my first Android device. Its a lot more fluid and snappy to use.

That said, it lacks finesse in the way the software or apps works. Something as basic or native to Android such as Gmail and Gphotos works better on iOs. The battery back up does not hold a candle to the iphone 6 I used previously, which probably had less than half the watt hour rating to my current Android device. Its a joke to find current gen android phones equipped with 12gb of ram and not have the same response as a Apple device with less than 50% of that memory. The trouble with Android is that if you buy a sub par device, your experience is going to be just as bad. I've lost track the numbers of times I've had to help my folks sort out minor issues on their Android phones. With their iPad, none in almost 4 years. It just works without a hitch.

In the end, you buy what you can afford, which is why I took the plunge back to Android. I have no regrets. I did not feel the need to spend 2x the cost on iOS, based on what I do with my phone.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 12:23   #59
BHPian

Voted for iOS.

I have been an Apple user from more than a decade now, having worked at Apple, I know what goes into making things easy to use.

Have used multiple iPhone and Android devices till date, I can confidently say that everything just works on an iPhone, one need not think if it will hang, restart or give any issues.

I do have an spare Android phone and I must also mention that Android has improved leaps and bounds from when it began. But If I had to chose one device as my only phone or Tab it will be iOS for sure.

Do check out the video by one of the Tech reviewers from UK, its quite interesting, echos my thoughts.

Old 12th August 2020, 12:27   #60
BHPian

I was Android user from 2013 till 2018 on Samsung Note 3 which i bought for 50k back in 2013 and yes I used it for 5 years without any trouble. Before that neither Android nor IOS had much presence and I was on Nokia obviously.

I shifted to my first ever IOS device in 2018 and within one year i am totally into apple ecosystem with a MacBook, iPad, iPhone and Apple watch and other Apple accessories like Airpods etc.

I am a OCD and i would say, Apple ecosystem is best for OCD people. Otherwise I used to spend lots of time cleaning unwanted folders which get created randomly in Android and so many bugs here and there and sometimes Android behaves weird and basic things doesn't work and I had to restart the phone.

Usually I use so many apps and Android literally use to struggle even with a Samsung Note 3 which was way more powerful back in 2013 (Maybe things are better now with Snapdragon processors). When i was with my Android device, i used to restart once in a week and again full factory reset once in every 6 months to keep the phone running well and it did help me a lot. The same thing never happened to me with Apple devices and I don't have to spend my time clearing memory and closing apps and deleting unwanted folders in IOS as the software handles them in background and i never had to factory reset my phone till date.

And the best part is software update. Samsung guarantee you work 2 major android version upgrades and again, Google releases a new update today and I used to get it after 6 months. Apple does software release to every eligible device throughout at the same time globally and i don't have to wait for anything. And yes iPhone 6s and 6s plus released in 2015 are eligible for IOS 14 upgrade that is yet to be released in September 2020 and that is self-explanatory.

I pay a premium for my phone and I prefer using it at least for 4 to 5 years so the above said points will be much relevant to people who keep phones for longer time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks