Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Which Chinese / Non-TV TV brand are you most likely to vote for with your wallet
HiSense 10 3.05%
Kodak 9 2.74%
Motorola 0 0%
OnePlus 52 15.85%
Realme 4 1.22%
TCL 43 13.11%
Toshiba 34 10.37%
Vu 82 25.00%
Xiaomi 67 20.43%
Others (Please specify) 27 8.23%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2020, 12:24   #76
BHPian

Re: The Budget / Frugal TV thread

Hi,

1) I got an Onida Panaroma (43 inch ) LED in 2016 November for 21,000. Its going strong till now.

2) I got another Sanyo (Parent is Panasonic ) Smart TV with IPS Panel for 24,000 (50 inches. Awesome clarity and dedicated buttons for Netflix and Youtube. Attached my Airtel xtream STB + LG Home Theatre with it. Its a bang for the buck.

LED TVs actually lack good sound so external sound sourcing is required for enthusiasts.

3) Will buy a UHD TV (55 inch) this Diwali as an upgrade to previous 43 inches. I will prefer a non smart TV and will attach a UHD Amazon Fire Stick to it......
Old 29th October 2020, 14:04   #77
BHPian

I think Nokia Tv's with Onkyo Soundbar and Blaupunkt Sound series with in built sound bars look very good. The reviews, for Nokia are good. And both are manufactured in India.
Old 29th October 2020, 15:15   #78

I belong to consumer electronics industry and have worked on TVs and devices that work with TVs. I suggest to consider the following tips while making a purchase -

1. Whatever you buy more than 80% components are from China or Taiwan. Electronics component industry belong to this region in the world. So, it does not matter whether a TV is made in India, China, Thailand, Vietnam etc. If you want to ensure that India gets most benefit from your product purchase try to understand who is making most money in the value chain till customer. The answer is not always obvious.

2. There is not much difference in design of TVs from all the brands. The electronic circuit designs are pretty standard. The cheaper brand TVs use less protections at inputs so there are more chances their motherboards/LCDs/LEDs panels can malfunction due to surges in electricity supply and other environmental factors (humidity, Sulphur deposits etc.). Cheaper brand TVs have higher annual failure rate but companies do not disclose that. Annual failure rate of product for good brands could be 1% or less while that of cheaper brands could be 1% - 4%. This is the risk to consumer selecting a cheaper brand.

3. Some of the better brands such as Sony source parts with better lifetime and failure rate. Most Japanese brands wants to ensure that components do not fail before 10-12 years. The cheaper brands only ensure that components have lifetime of 3 years.

Components exceeding the lifetime is a normal expectation from Japanese engineers and as my customers they have asked me to analyze why a component failed after 8 years when the lifetime is 9 years. I have never heard this from an Indian or a Chinese customer.

4. Out of warranty service is a cost to company (maintain part list, service centers etc.) and in today's competitive scenario no brand is willing to invest in it for long term. After 2-3 years a TV becomes a use and throw product.

5. There are very few LCD/LED panel manufacturers in the world (less than 5 I guess). Many Xiaomi TVs have Samsung panel but they are on older technology (such as edge lit LCDs) and that leads to lower picture quality on cheaper brand TVs.

6. Try not to be an early adopter of latest cheaper brand TV. It is always better to read reviews of their reliability before purchase.
agelesstravelle is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 13:50   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakmo View Post
All iPhone 12s come with standard 60Hz Panel.
Only Ipad Pro offers higher refresh rates for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
All budget LED TVs have refresh rate in the range of 50-60 Hz, whereas the bigger boys with better displays have 90-100 Hz. The latest iPhone as a 120 Hz display!
I stand corrected.

However, further research shows that Galaxy S20 and the OnePlus 8 Pro have displays with 120 Hz refresh rates. So the point I was trying to make stands - that flagship mobile screens have upgraded to 120 Hz whereas the budget TV's are stuck at 60 Hz.
Old 31st October 2020, 19:47   #80
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Looking for a good inexpensive LED TV whose width doesn't exceed 32" (so as to fit in the space available).

I have narrowed down bween:
- Kevin KN32S (Made in India: Rs 11.5K on amazon)
- Mi L32M5-AL (Made in China: Rs 13.5K on amazon)

Which of these two would you recommend?

Both are 20 Watt audio o/p, similar resolution and features. The Mi unit has one extra HDMI port but I don't care about that.
Old 5th November 2020, 14:56   #81
BHPian

I am unable to locate any inventory of VU 55 inch 4k TVs online. Even their website is showing every SKU as out of stock and support as offline. Has the company shut shop?
Old 5th November 2020, 15:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

Government had imposed some restrictions on the import of TVs.

https://www.techradar.com/in/news/in...-thats-not-all

VU basically sells HiSense TVs, a Chinese TV brand that happens to be the World's third largest TV seller after Samsung and TCL. This is the reason why their flagship TVs are out of stock.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:44   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Will do first thing. Thanks for the feedback

I just hope this TV has better / comparable picture quality to my 5 year old LG 4k TV. I use Apple TV for apps and an 18 year old Bose 321 for sound so smart features or sound quality is not as important.

This deal was available for the first few hours on day1 of the sale. Couldn’t resist buying it even though I didn’t have any complaints / issues with my current LG tv or a need for 2nd TV
What would be your review of the TV? It's for 44K on Flipkart now but still much cheaper than the other brands.
Old 12th November 2020, 09:29   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
What would be your review of the TV? It's for 44K on Flipkart now but still much cheaper than the other brands.
So the first impressions were not as great! Coming from the LG, it seemed like a big downgrade in terms of colours and image quality in general. However over time I figured that it's the AI engine that makes the images look unnatural (high contrast, red colour was out of calibration). Eventually after playing with so called "expert settings", i figured a sweetish spot where I am comfortable with attributes like colours, brightness and sharpness. Sound quality is acceptable but not pleasing. Apps are ok, they perform the intended function but a firestick/ apple TV pairing can open a world of possibilities

So not the best experience available, but at that 36-37K price point it is an acceptable experience. I have been able to emulate 90% of iPhone/ iPad like colour and contrast after a week of tweaks. I wouldn't know how this TV stacks up against a Thomson or Kodak, both these TVs retail around 26-27K price point for a 55". If it's comparable then why spend the extra 10-15k

Last edited by Rajiv0909 : 12th November 2020 at 09:31.
Old 15th November 2020, 07:39   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
So the first impressions were not as great! Coming from the LG, it seemed like a big downgrade in terms of colours and image quality in general. However over time I figured that it's the AI engine that makes the images look unnatural (high contrast, red colour was out of calibration).
Apps are ok, they perform the intended function but a firestick/ apple TV pairing can open a world of possibilities
Quick update - connected my Apple TV to the Phillips TV yesterday and the difference in picture quality is insanely significant. Dolby vision and HDR+ switch on by default. Loving the details and quality. Colours look far more natural with this setup
Old 16th November 2020, 15:00   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesstravelle View Post
Our Samsung 40" lost it voice, then a line + part dark shade. We replaced it with Flipkart MarQ 43 FHD for ₹16.2 k. I plan to buy 3+ extended warranty from gowarranty.com (can till nine months from invoice date). I love Sharp but Hisense owns it. Chinese companies now own all major Japanese TV brands. So I chose Flipkart.

Source :

https://www.gowarranty.in/
Old 5th January 2021, 20:30   #87
BHPian

Our LG 49" TV panel just got damaged and it is no longer in a usable state. Hence ordered Amazonbasics 50" 4K TV for Rs 29999 (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Have been using it for last 4 days. Delivery was fast and installation was on time. The pack came with a wall mount bracket. The TV bootup is fast and overall experience with FireOS is better compared to LG WebOS. Display quality is fine, not as great as that of LG. Overall a value for money product I feel. I bough it trusting Amazonbasics brand as it was a new product and there is not much reviews available.
Old 7th January 2021, 11:36   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
Our LG 49" TV panel just got damaged and it is no longer in a usable state. Hence ordered Amazonbasics 50" 4K TV for Rs 29999 (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Have been using it for last 4 days. Delivery was fast and installation was on time. The pack came with a wall mount bracket. The TV bootup is fast and overall experience with FireOS is better compared to LG WebOS. Display quality is fine, not as great as that of LG. Overall a value for money product I feel. I bough it trusting Amazonbasics brand as it was a new product and there is not much reviews available.
Hi, I have been waiting for someone to post a detailed review on this TV since the prices are really good. Grateful if you can post a detailed review. In the mean while can you advise:
1. Whether the TV has HDMI - eARC port or not? Also how is the sound quality?
2. Does the TV acts as a set top box for DTH services?
3. How bright is the panel and how good is HDR compliance?
Old 25th February 2021, 10:00   #89
BHPian

Good morning.

I have been using MI 4A Pro 49" FHD & VU 4K 43" since 2 years and 8 months respectively, and I am a satisfied Customer.

I am in the process of short listing a 50" 4K TV for my parents in a TIER-II city.

Currently shortlisted MI 4X Pro, Hisense A71F and Toshiba U50.

I understand that

1) Hisense has a better display panel than MI.
2) That Toshiba TVs are also made by Hisense.
3) Service centers for both, Hisense and Toshiba, are same.
4) MI service network is much real & better.

I am unable to finalize.
I am unable to decide whether Hisense and Toshiba will honor repair requirements, if they arise.
Can I run a FireTV stick on Toshiba and watch Hotstar, etc.? The default apps are Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video on the Vidaa OS.

I do not foresee my parents following up with servicing folks should something go wrong, and hence leaning towards MI. Not that nothing will go wrong with MI, but because we have 3 dedicated service centers in our city.

I admire VU's display quality, but they don't have a physical service center.

VU is robotically assembled in China and has less QC issues. Hisense is manually assembled in India and has inconsistencies in panel performance, something I realized from my limited research on this topic.

The shortlisted MI model is MI 4X 50", but I don't see panel details anywhere.

Any other brands to consider? Unwilling to spend beyond ₹40,000.

Appreciate your inputs.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 25th February 2021 at 10:04.
Old 25th February 2021, 14:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
VU is robotically assembled in China and has less QC issues. Hisense is manually assembled in India and has inconsistencies in panel performance, something I realized from my limited research on this topic.

Aren't VU & Hisense TV's the same underneath the branding ? I did quite a lot of research on VU TV's 4 years back before buying one and got to know that VU TV's were nothing but re-branded Hisense TV's. In fact in my VU, in the service menu I see a boot screen option for Hisense as well !
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed